ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I’d like to ask for a few thoughts and prayers

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
I lost my father and all time favorite IU fan Tuesday night around 10:00pm to cancer.
Just a few thoughts and memories that i ask to allow me to share to bring me a few smiles to me:
My father served in US Marine Corps in the military from 1961-1965, and was able to serve in 22 different countries during this period: namely Cuba Crisis blockade in Panama Canal in 1962, Lebanon in 1963, and Vietnam in 1964. He was able to train im boot camp and ate breakfast daily with the Everly Brothers (Don and Phil) in October 1961 at Camp Pendleton in Delmar California, got to sleep in Steve McQueen’s old bunk and rack, and served proudly in over 22 different contries for USA.

He started following IU basketball in about 1965, once he returned to state on the radio, tv when possible.. One of my greatest memories he shared with me. 1993, IU had just lost to Butler to begin their season, and the next opponett for IU? #1, UK on CBS. He worked at a huge plant in heart of Kentucky. He as off around 12:00 noon that day after working a double. He made $5 bets with about 20 people (Diehard UK country, at this location 30 miles south of Evansville) telling them all, “ I do not care if we lost to Butler, Bobby has a whole week to prepare, and he will show you what he is made of”.

Well he stayed over a few hours in the breakroom and watched Damon Bailey kill that press for 29pts/6rebs, and for a 96-84 “upset” of their “wonderful cherished” Wildcats.
He collected about $60 of the of the $100 he was owed as he was leaving.
He got to the front game, picked up the intercom and paged about 660 people in the entire plant: “Hey, this is Bob, I’m leaving…. Kentucky my mother F*cking @$$!” And walked briskly to the parking lot!

*Fortunately, he did collect the other $40 bucks he was owed the next couple days, unfortunately that $100 went for two used tires as coincidentally he had two flat tires on two consecutive days!…

He didnt care…
Anyways Just sharing a story from my
father, my all time favorite IU fan in my life!!

I love you dad!

*We all go back and forth on this board from
time to time, but life is special, please show the people you care and love for know how special you think they are whenever you can!

Thank you for your time reading this.
It helped bring me a rare smile.

I lost my father and all time favorite IU fan Tuesday night around 10:00pm to cancer.
Just a few thoughts and memories that i ask to allow me to share to bring me a few smiles to me:
My father served in US Marine Corps in the military from 1961-1965, and was able to serve in 22 different countries during this period: namely Cuba Crisis blockade in Panama Canal in 1962, Lebanon in 1963, and Vietnam in 1964. He was able to train im boot camp and ate breakfast daily with the Everly Brothers (Don and Phil) in October 1961 at Camp Pendleton in Delmar California, got to sleep in Steve McQueen’s old bunk and rack, and served proudly in over 22 different contries for USA.

He started following IU basketball in about 1965, once he returned to state on the radio, tv when possible.. One of my greatest memories he shared with me. 1993, IU had just lost to Butler to begin their season, and the next opponett for IU? #1, UK on CBS. He worked at a huge plant in heart of Kentucky. He as off around 12:00 noon that day after working a double. He made $5 bets with about 20 people (Diehard UK country, at this location 30 miles south of Evansville) telling them all, “ I do not care if we lost to Butler, Bobby has a whole week to prepare, and he will show you what he is made of”.

Well he stayed over a few hours in the breakroom and watched Damon Bailey kill that press for 29pts/6rebs, and for a 96-84 “upset” of their “wonderful cherished” Wildcats.
He got to the front game, picked up the intercom and paged about 660 people in the entire plant: “Hey, this is Bob, I’m leaving…. Kentucky my mother F*cking @$$!” And walked briskly to the parking lot!

*Fortunately, he did collect the other $40 bucks he was owed the next couple days, unfortunately that $100 went for two used tires as coincidentally he had two flat tires on two consecutive days!…

He didnt care…

I love you dad!

time to time, but life is special, please show the people you care and love for know how special you think they are whenever you can!

May God hold you and your family close together. Do what you did here. Talk about him often and talk about the life lessons he imparted to you and his kindness. Most of us sons are lucky to have a father we considered a friend after we have grown up. And to have something like IU to bind is really great. When I talk to my Dad or my cousins and uncles IU almost always comes up.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Godspeed to your father. Biggest respect to jarheads, they are asked to do far too much, while given far too little. Sounds like he was able to see a lot of interesting places during his service.
Cancer sucks. I'm a survivor, but many aren't as fortunate. We'll plod through this Covid crap and move on, but cancer seems like a never-ending battle.

I remember the Bailey/UK game very well. IU could have beaten the '86 Celtics that day.

Best wishes in this difficult time.

He didnt care…

I love you dad!

Life is special, none of us are guaranteed a thing so make every minute count. It seems like your dad made every moment matter. 🙏

He didnt care…

I love you dad!

I'm an old timer. Lost my Dad 15 years ago this month. You and your family speak of him often, much like you've done here, that way he lives on as his memory is never forgotten. The man you described, your Father sure sounds like a real AMERICAN. RIP

He didnt care…

I love you dad!

Great story! I lost my dad in July. Memories like you shared keep coming. You are right, they do bring smiles when you need them. Share them whenever you can.

Dads taught us so much and we use what we learned from them every day. Our dads shared a love of IU basketball and passed it on to us. You are lucky to have had a great dad! So sorry for your loss!

Lost my dad 24 yrs ago this month
..he tried out for the IU ball team along with 500 other kids 1950 for Coach McCracken, made to the top 50 and got cut. He rode in the 1st lil 5 and served in the Korean conflict and I still miss him and his stories. I share his stories with my kids and that keeps him alive. God speed to you and yours and thanks for sharing

He didnt care…

I love you dad!

I'm with you, brother. My heart goes out to you and you and yours are in our thoughts.

He didnt care…

I love you dad!

A rare chance to make a meaningful post. May your family find strength in your memories and make a point to remember to pass on as much to the next generation...to enrich their futures too. May God Bless.

He didnt care…

I love you dad!

I'm sorry for your loss bud.

Keep the stories alive for the younger ones so they don't forget.

Sorry for your loss.
So true. My grandson was 6 months old when my dad died. He wanted to see his first great grandchild and be with him but couldn't sneak a baby into the hospital. Two days before he died, dad changed his Facebook profile picture to a picture my daughter sent him. That will always be his profile picture.

My daughter is expecting (babies will be 15 months apart) and neither of my parents will get to meet this one. My last promise to dad was that my grandson will know him and mom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT