ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How did the Canes get 18 committments already for 2016?

Re: OT: How did the Canes get 18 committments already for 2016?

Because both schools pressure kids for commitments, we'll see how many of those kids start flipping once the season starts
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: OT: How did the Canes get 18 committments already for 2016?

For sure. I believe both schools were hit hard by late de-commitments this year. I did not follow them a year ago to see if they are repeating their strategy or if this is a new approach. I just can't grasp the wisdom of putting pressure on kids to pledge early. I guess if they were current "powerhouse" football programs it could work, but I much prefer our "build relationships/get to know each other" first approach. So thankful that Coach Wilson and staff operate this way. So sensible and it is working very well for us.

Well with Miami, all 18 commits are from Florida, and 12 or 13 are from the Miami metro area. Only 2 commits are more than a 2 hour drive from campus.

That staff may not be doing all that much pressuring - when you get an offer from a big name/elite school that you also happened to grow up following/cheering for, is close to home, where available commitment spots can go quickly - it probably seems like a no brainer to these kids to jump at an offer, but some realize they fit better elsewhere later on when they look around.

With Kentucky, they are most likely putting the screws to kids trying to get them to commit on the spot during visits. They do have the advantage of going after Ohio kids and offering the chance to play in the SEC, but close to home. I guess they think that if they can build a good class by building momentum early even if it causes them to lose some (many) kids.

Miami did have 14 de-commits in the class of 2015. For only the second time in a decade, Miami's recruiting class was ranked lower than 17. Golden will be under pressure this year to be better than average. A lot of their fans are calling for his head. They should have an interesting year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT