ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Apple Cup

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Kalen DeBoer is a genius and all, but that was absolute coaching malpractice with the last two play calls before the last FG try.

No overtime. Washington Huskies kick 42 yard field goal on last play of the game to win. With less than one minute to go the Huskies had the ball on their own 29-yard line. It was 4th and one. Rather than punting the ball away and playing for overtime they call the running play around the left end that went for 22 yards.

It was quite an unusual set of plays that were called because the Huskies were playing to win the game rather than punting away to Washington State and hoping to go to overtime.

Congratulations to undefeated Michael Penix.

P.S. I listened to the game on the internet radio and the Washington husky announcers were fabulous. Very knowledgeable and very excited. Can't really blame Don Fisher's lack of enthusiasm given the reality of Hoosier football

Last edited:
Reactions: kmathum
No overtime. Washington Huskies kick 42 yard field goal on last play of the game to win. With less than one minute to go the Huskies had the ball on their own 29-yard line. It was 4th and one. Rather than punching the ball away and playing for overtime they call the running play around the left and that went for 22 yards.

It was quite an unusual set of plays that were called because the Huskies were playing to win the game rather than punting away to Washington State and hoping to go to overtime.

Congratulations to undefeated Michael Penix.

P.S. I listened to the game on the internet radio and the Washington husky announcers were fabulous. Very knowledgeable and very excited. Can't really blame Don Fisher's lack of enthusiasm given the reality of Hoosier football
I was specifically talking about the last two plays.

1st and 10 from the WSU 16. 20 seconds to go. 1st down throw to the end zone almost picked off. 2nd down pass called, sacked for a loss of 9.

Yeah, he hit the the game winning 42 yarder. But dang, run it once (or twice if WSU uses their TOs) and do the chip shot. Trying to get their guy the Heisman could’ve cost them HUGE.

I was specifically talking about the last two plays.

1st and 10 from the WSU 16. 20 seconds to go. 1st down throw to the end zone almost picked off. 2nd down pass called, sacked for a loss of 9.

Yeah, he hit the the game winning 42 yarder. But dang, run it once (or twice if WSU uses their TOs) and do the chip shot. Trying to get their guy the Heisman could’ve cost them HUGE.
I didn't realize you were talking about those very last plays and you're right right about the Safeway to play it. Perhaps to bore being unorthodox is how he got to be 12-0. That and big in excellent coach.

Reactions: TMFT
Oregon will beat Washington next week. The Ducks are destroying everyone. Washington has been playing with fire lately.
It should be a great game. The first one was fantastic. Oregon is good enough to win it all. If they can beat the Huskies they should be in the playoffs but Washington is outstanding as well.

I'll take the WSU coach and he can bring the QB Ward with him.
I agree wholeheartedly. That is a well coached team with quality personnel. He might consider it since they may not have a top conference now. Pullman is a difficult place to win in and recruit to. Our AD should interview this coach now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT