ADVERTISEMENT

Opposing coaches size up IU.

E.Z.Rider

Aug 29, 2001
Oregon
Athlon is out and their write up on IU is available on-line but here is a special feature.

"Scouting the Hoosiers. Opposing coaches size up Indiana."

"They absolutely overachieved last year, but consider the fact that they have been underachieving for a long time. I think Tom Allen is the real deal. I think the culture is real; that's not put-on stuff for TV. Those kids play their asses off for him. They were a feel-good story for a lot of staffs and programs that are trying to build it slowly and not cut corners. The administration knew what they had and they gave him time, and you see the results. They're carving a unique identity on the field. Both offensively and defensively, they provide you really unique schemes you don't see often. They don't play scared; they take risks on offense and they throw unconventional fronts and blitz packages at you on defense. It's stuff that you don't think will work on paper. They've continued to recruit better and better. I think Tom is so uniquely positioned there having a lot of Florida experience and connections and still being from the state of Indiana. I think that's the biggest reason he's staying put. Not a ton of unknowns for them. I think they're a completely different team with Michael Penix, so how he looks going into fall practice is their biggest question. They've plugged a few holes with transfer guys. If I'm guessing that's Tom thinking his culture is strong enough to absorb transfer-and-start guys and keep the locker room."

I don't know about that first sentence. Underachieving would mean we had talent but didn't perform. I don't see it that way. MHO.

That last sentence is a big unknown: will they be able to keep the locker room.

I hope IUFB shows coaches and fans the last two seasons weren't unusual but just seasons on the way to be one of the better teams in the B1G. The rosters is much better top to bottom including the coaches and they should show it on the field.

I'm less concerned about keeping the locker room than I am about the overachieving last season.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, if you think the defense is going to be able to consistently force all of those takeaways at critical moments to bail out an offense that can't run the ball and either goes 3 & out most of the time with 4 play 70 yard TD drives peppered in, you're nuts.

If IU's defense is only "really good" last year at the turnover margin & "bend/break" vs. the "outstanding" that they were, it's not nearly as good a season.

The offense needs to put together some drives. I honestly don't care if it's through a traditional running game or the DeBoer short passing game. But they absolutely MUST be able to string together drives and not just let Penix let er rip on 40 yard sideline fades 3 times then punt.

No doubt the last two years have been great for our program. I hope we can continue to improve and develop the mindset that we belong at the top. But as the above poster stated our offense has to improve its consistency. Was the ole miss game a fluke or did it reflect how poor our offense was without Penix?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
No doubt the last two years have been great for our program. I hope we can continue to improve and develop the mindset that we belong at the top. But as the above poster stated our offense has to improve its consistency. Was the ole miss game a fluke or did it reflect how poor our offense was without Penix?
Not sure how to take that game either. Tuttle was injured also. Just hard to judge.

Not sure how to take that game either. Tuttle was injured also. Just hard to judge.
I thought Tuttle showed a ton of grit & toughness against Ole Miss considering he had a bad wing.

His body of work for the season (2nd half of MD, Wiscy, & Ole Miss) showed him to be a capable game managing QB with really good physical skills. Nothing especially flashy, but all the tools to grind out a win. After the Michigan game, the Wiscy game was my favorite win to watch last year. If there were a better running game I think it would protect him a TON and he'd show out quite a lot.

I'm less concerned about keeping the locker room than I am about the overachieving last season.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, if you think the defense is going to be able to consistently force all of those takeaways at critical moments to bail out an offense that can't run the ball and either goes 3 & out most of the time with 4 play 70 yard TD drives peppered in, you're nuts.

If IU's defense is only "really good" last year at the turnover margin & "bend/break" vs. the "outstanding" that they were, it's not nearly as good a season.

The offense needs to put together some drives. I honestly don't care if it's through a traditional running game or the DeBoer short passing game. But they absolutely MUST be able to string together drives and not just let Penix let er rip on 40 yard sideline fades 3 times then punt.
Good thing the staff has addressed weaknesses on offense through the transfer portal. Two WRs, a RB, and an OL.

Good thing the staff has addressed weaknesses on offense through the transfer portal. Two WRs, a RB, and an OL.
There was some reference on a player profile on Hoosier Huddle recently (might have been yesterday's with Rafferty) about the potential of Bedford to move inside to guard to get the best 5 on the field. I'm not sure how Matthew would feel about that, but it's intriguing to think of an OL of:

LT - Caleb Jones (if he's able to stay in shape; if not, could see Haggard here, Bedford at RT, and Powell/Carpenter at G/C)
LG - Matt Bedford (if he's able to make the position switch)
C - Dylan Powell (this is the only one I'm more iffy on in this scenario whether it'd be him or Carpenter)
RG - Mike Katic (big guy who got some starts last year)
RT - Luke Haggard (Showed a lot last year, better "athlete" to protect MP's blind side)

Feel free to sub in Zach Carpenter and/or Kahlil Benson in the interior there. But that could be a good one.

There was some reference on a player profile on Hoosier Huddle recently (might have been yesterday's with Rafferty) about the potential of Bedford to move inside to guard to get the best 5 on the field. I'm not sure how Matthew would feel about that, but it's intriguing to think of an OL of:

LT - Caleb Jones (if he's able to stay in shape; if not, could see Haggard here, Bedford at RT, and Powell/Carpenter at G/C)
LG - Matt Bedford (if he's able to make the position switch)
C - Dylan Powell (this is the only one I'm more iffy on in this scenario whether it'd be him or Carpenter)
RG - Mike Katic (big guy who got some starts last year)
RT - Luke Haggard (Showed a lot last year, better "athlete" to protect MP's blind side)

Feel free to sub in Zach Carpenter and/or Kahlil Benson in the interior there. But that could be a good one.

We won 8 games the year before, for the first time in 25 years. How many back to back “overachieving” seasons do we need to have before our own fans give the team some credit?

We won 8 games the year before, for the first time in 25 years. How many back to back “overachieving” seasons do we need to have before our own fans give the team some credit?
I think they are getting tons of credit. But if anyone thinks last year was a stepping stone to greater things this year they are not very realistic. We did overachieve last year. An 8-9 win year this time is indeed a step up.

It seems like some "fans" don't want to believe their own eyes but instead fear the past showing up with this team. This team is far different than past teams with more talent and all -American talent on it.

I think they are getting tons of credit. But if anyone thinks last year was a stepping stone to greater things this year they are not very realistic. We did overachieve last year. An 8-9 win year this time is indeed a step up.
I hope the 2021 team proves you wrong and shows that they are ready to take the next step up in the B1G. Yes any thing is possible but I am counting on this team to improve yet again.

Always good when we are worried about the offense. The reason we are where we are now is that Allen put an emphasis on building a defense. We tried the other way for 40+ seasons and it didn’t work. You don’t put your leftovers on defense. Glad we have a coach who finally figured it out and the offense isn’t always going to struggle to run the ball. I think a quicker RB may work wonders for the offense.

As for Tuttle vs Ole Miss, the kid did show good toughness staying in there with the bad shoulder. He did what he could. Have to like that.

Why Sheridan had him throwing so much after that injury was a head scratcher, considering the run was gashing Ole Miss’ porous D and IU came back to tie the score by finally doing it. Then the last drive he goes back to the pass.

The run game has got to be better. Thought the Sheridan passing philosophy would be more in tune with what we saw the year before with KD, which controlled the ball pretty well with sideline stuff (MP’s completion % took a big hit from ‘19 to ‘20 too).

Looking forward to a great year from all 3 phases. And students, alumni and fans, get out and support these kids and coaches!! They deserve it!!

It seems like some "fans" don't want to believe their own eyes but instead fear the past showing up with this team. This team is far different than past teams with more talent and all -American talent on it.
I will admit it’s hard for me to believe my own eyes after sitting in the stands for over 35 years and largely witnessing futility. I will try to be more optimistic

The game against Ole Miss is one of the reason I wonder if coach Sheridan is a good OC. I hope this year he shows he is a good OC that can adjust to what works against defense and not just stay with what he wants. I also want to see him attack defense after the half time because too often IU didn't do very good in the second half until later in the second half. I am giving the last year as a year that was limited and expect he will do better this year.

I think fans want to believe but PSU, Mich, MSU had bad years. We won PSU by a millimeter, and lost to a 500 Ole Miss team. Penix was not as good as the previous season and we caused more turnovers than usual last season.

So, some fans believe we CAN be real good, but want to see more proof. A win against Iowa would be a real good start towards removing the skepticism.

I think fans want to believe but PSU, Mich, MSU had bad years. We won PSU by a millimeter, and lost to a 500 Ole Miss team. Penix was not as good as the previous season and we caused more turnovers than usual last season.

So, some fans believe we CAN be real good, but want to see more proof. A win against Iowa would be a real good start towards removing the skepticism.
Ole Miss played Alabama tougher than any team in the nation last season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401237100

But the talent level on the roster is improving every year so I do expect better results going forward.

The game against Ole Miss is one of the reason I wonder if coach Sheridan is a good OC. I hope this year he shows he is a good OC that can adjust to what works against defense and not just stay with what he wants. I also want to see him attack defense after the half time because too often IU didn't do very good in the second half until later in the second half. I am giving the last year as a year that was limited and expect he will do better this year.

I'm trying to cut Sheridan some slack for the Ole' Miss debacle with this thought in mind: maybe he "knew" our conditioning was shot due to the COVID outbreak that affected us from late November thru much of December and didn't believe our OL would have enough gas in the tank to get through the 2nd half if we tried to lean on them hard...(?); also going pure run went against the basics of the offensive philosophy we had employed for the past 18 months so I'm guessing he was just not able to break away from the plays that he believed would work versus what he was seeing (and That is concerning [because Everyone else could see the run game was working]...)...

I think our conditioning (or, more specifically..., our lack of conditioning) was what Really beat us in Tampa and That is, hopefully, what our TEAM is painfully aware of and is working to correct right now...

The same conditions (high temperatures and humidity at field level) that defeated us in the Bowl game will be present at 3 pm up at Iowa. The effort expended over the next 2 months will determine the outcome of that game before it's ever played, in my opinion...

Last edited:
Thing about last season is CV did also mean no fans in the stands, which DID help IU most likely on some road games. (But it was the same for everyone so good for IU if they capitalized on it.)

Bowl game was also post CV - team was gassed for a reason - they hadn’t practiced much in two weeks! Just don’t think that game is a great sample given all the issues.

For this season ahead, the offense showing more balance and ability to sustain drives to eat some clock is what many would like to see. That starts with better overall OL play. We have a LOT of beef there now with guys being a year older/bigger. Do teams sub OL play as much as DL has shifts? If so, feel like could hep IU line be fresher. (Caleb Jones is a big man, could he use some more breaks in a game?)

I also think the talent is deeper. Ex: Haggarty really impressed me last year at 275 playing LT. Now at 305+, should he be a starter? Or Benson being back from injury at 6’6 315, who was touted as a beast recruit. It could be nice having some OL substitutes playing more if not much (if any) drop in talent. Just not sure how often that’s done for OL?

I fee like Sheridan has potential to be a really creative OC mind. I did NOT think our prior DC Womack had a good first season necessarily, but had a huge improvement his next year (last season). Think we may see similar from Sheridan this year given will have all of spring /summer camps, more talent back, and yes, addition of Coach McC who will bring a steady hand to the run game.

I also believe Coach Allen continues to grow into the job very nicely. He will always have the passion/enthusiasm but bet we might see a bit more controlled reactions on sideline as he becomes a steadier game manager too.

Not sure why IU would be taking many steps backwards, but also acknowledge a tough schedule and just fact all B10 teams are pretty good and it’s hard to win in B10.

But I think 8-4 is the FLOOR not the ceiling!

Thing about last season is CV did also mean no fans in the stands, which DID help IU most likely on some road games. (But it was the same for everyone so good for IU if they capitalized on it.)

Bowl game was also post CV - team was gassed for a reason - they hadn’t practiced much in two weeks! Just don’t think that game is a great sample given all the issues.

For this season ahead, the offense showing more balance and ability to sustain drives to eat some clock is what many would like to see. That starts with better overall OL play. We have a LOT of beef there now with guys being a year older/bigger. Do teams sub OL play as much as DL has shifts? If so, feel like could hep IU line be fresher. (Caleb Jones is a big man, could he use some more breaks in a game?)

I also think the talent is deeper. Ex: Haggarty really impressed me last year at 275 playing LT. Now at 305+, should he be a starter? Or Benson being back from injury at 6’6 315, who was touted as a beast recruit. It could be nice having some OL substitutes playing more if not much (if any) drop in talent. Just not sure how often that’s done for OL?

I fee like Sheridan has potential to be a really creative OC mind. I did NOT think our prior DC Womack had a good first season necessarily, but had a huge improvement his next year (last season). Think we may see similar from Sheridan this year given will have all of spring /summer camps, more talent back, and yes, addition of Coach McC who will bring a steady hand to the run game.

I also believe Coach Allen continues to grow into the job very nicely. He will always have the passion/enthusiasm but bet we might see a bit more controlled reactions on sideline as he becomes a steadier game manager too.

Not sure why IU would be taking many steps backwards, but also acknowledge a tough schedule and just fact all B10 teams are pretty good and it’s hard to win in B10.

But I think 8-4 is the FLOOR not the ceiling!
OL doesn't typically do shifts like DL does, there's just too much communication and working as a unit required. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone start the year as a reserve and work their way into the starting rotation. Let's not forget, for example, that Tiawan Mullen didn't start out of the chute his freshman year. He was a 3rd or 4th corner who had his coming out vs. MSU and earned more PT to the point he became the every down CB1.

I don't think any of us think IU is going to take steps back. I'm just trying to be realistic about not expecting the defense to lead the nation in INTs again, because they NEEDED those to win some of the games they won (PSU & UM specifically) or to be in the one they lost to OSU. It's just a really big ask.

I think 7-5 or 8-4 is a fair floor (which feels ridiculous to say), but they're going to need to win against Iowa or Cinci, preferably both. Because if they drop them both it's a tough schedule to try and make those games back up. Luckily for IU, they have so much continuity returning on offense that they're not going to be testing many new faces replacing the departed. At worst, if you're seeing new faces out there, it's because the coaches think it'll be an upgrade from what they had last year.

Looking forward to a really fun season!

Gone are the days of just hoping for 6-6 and a bowl.
This program should be a 7+ win season more often than not. We aren’t going to sustain coaching turnovers like Michigan, PSU or Ohio State but that is a luxury that blue bloods have. No reason we couldn’t be comparable to Northwestern or Oregon.

I've watched Indiana closely since I was a kid in the middle 80's. This team has the talent to win every game on their schedule, including the Ohio State battle. I don't know if I could say that about any other Indiana team in my time watching.....

When you can trot out a competent defense that features several AA players along with all league type players, things look good. Tom's done an excellent job from where I sit.

C'mon . I like Allen and current state of IU football but let's be realistic. IU has a culture of maybe 2 years and Allen isn't Jesus . People need to keep some perspective

What are you talking about? He's been stressing the culture and LEO since his first press conference when he was hired back in 2016. If you're gonna speak on something, at least know what your speaking on.

What are you talking about? He's been stressing the culture and LEO since his first press conference when he was hired back in 2016. If you're gonna speak on something, at least know what your speaking on.
I am just saying lets not think all of the sudden IU is like the Virgin Mary of football. OK 4 years but still hasnt won a bowl game..............In 2 years Bob Knight was in the final four . I like what he is doing but people are making him out to be a diety

I am just saying lets not think all of the sudden IU is like the Virgin Mary of football. OK 4 years but still hasnt won a bowl game..............In 2 years Bob Knight was in the final four . I like what he is doing but people are making him out to be a diety
Well to us, he's pretty close! lol

I think everyone realizes we all need to get behind Allen because he's unique and has us in a good position going forward.

Trust me - plenty will turn on him if our record dips this year, even if we play better. It's just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well to us, he's pretty close! lol

I think everyone realizes we all need to get behind Allen because he's unique and has us in a good position going forward.

Trust me - plenty will turn on him if our record dips this year, even if we play better. It's just the nature of the beast.
I am all for him , just thinking people may be getting a little ahead . It is great to see IU football be relevant I guess I am a little slower to think it has all changed. I remember thinking it had a few other times , we will see!

Reactions: vesuvius13
I am all for him , just thinking people may be getting a little ahead . It is great to see IU football be relevant I guess I am a little slower to think it has all changed. I remember thinking it had a few other times , we will see!

Name the last indiana football coach, after his first four years, that has a winning overall record.

Tom Allen's last two years in the big 10, his record is 11-5.

How any indiana fan isn't behind this guy is asinine is crazy to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT