ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions vary on Dakich, but it was hilarious when

SpankyBtown

Benchwarmer
Jan 10, 2011
He was commentating about Tim Priller. Talked about how he got in the Northwestern game and was a "five screen guy." On cue, Priller sets five screens on his first possession in the game.

Then he starts singing "Priller" to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"

Hilarious.

The sad part is, Priller was setting screens off the ball. And it was working. And it made it apparent to me how much better we would be (and how we would cut down on turnovers) if we had MORE guys who were setting off-ball screens where they don't expect to get the ball themselves but are instead trying to free up a teammate. Sigh....

Dakich was right when he said IU's offense is very good when attacking off the break. (Kudos to CTC and I can live with a few turnovers on these possessions). What he did not point out was how BAD our offense is in the half court. Not enough off-ball screens and too many forced passes (that become turnovers) that, even if completed, don't result in a bucket or even good position.

I think DD bends over backward not to appear to be envious/ sour grapes about the IU coaching job. It might be interesting to catch him off record about Crean.

He was commentating about Tim Priller. Talked about how he got in the Northwestern game and was a "five screen guy." On cue, Priller sets five screens on his first possession in the game.

Then he starts singing "Priller" to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"

Hilarious.

The sad part is, Priller was setting screens off the ball. And it was working. And it made it apparent to me how much better we would be (and how we would cut down on turnovers) if we had MORE guys who were setting off-ball screens where they don't expect to get the ball themselves but are instead trying to free up a teammate. Sigh....

Dakich was right when he said IU's offense is very good when attacking off the break. (Kudos to CTC and I can live with a few turnovers on these possessions). What he did not point out was how BAD our offense is in the half court. Not enough off-ball screens and too many forced passes (that become turnovers) that, even if completed, don't result in a bucket or even good position.

I'm right there with you, Spanky. When I could still play pick-up basketball, we set off-the-ball screens, and it worked even with/for guys we'd never played with before.

This season reminds me of a girl I once dated in college. Once in a while we'd have a great time and I'd think "this is as good as it gets, the way things oughta be all the time" . . . and then there was the rest of the time. That didn't work out either . . . .

I am guessing, like many of you, I long for a return to motion offense..I know, horse and buggy thinking to some; but damn, when something works, it works for a sound reason...RMK's was a thing of beauty...

It was a thing of beauty. It takes unselfish play though. At this point, I'd just like to see any kind of half court offensive set that is effective on a fairly consistent basis. Good teams can get open looks when they have to have them. We struggle with that and have always seemed to struggle during CTC's tenure. So often we find ourselves with the shot clock winding down and one guy dribbling in an attempt to make something happen. There's no security blanket of knowing what everyone is going to do and where they'll be. IMO, that's why we'll turn it over every 4th or 5th possession.

Reactions: 10yrProject
I am guessing, like many of you, I long for a return to motion offense..I know, horse and buggy thinking to some; but damn, when something works, it works for a sound reason...RMK's was a thing of beauty...
Problem is that there are not many teams that run the motion offense anymore. It will only get worse when more of the old time coaches leave because the younger coaches like the dribble drive or the pick and roll. I just want an offense that values the ball and not turn the ball over.

I was more impressed that after each high screen he'd flare to the basket...then look for another screen.

Like saying, hey Tim we don't want you to really look to shoot unless you get an open layup in the post so...go set screens for better offensive players but flare every now and then because you might get an opportunity for a layup.

Which happened.

Amazing what can happen when kids have roles and accept them.

I think DD bends over backward not to appear to be envious/ sour grapes about the IU coaching job. It might be interesting to catch him off record about Crean.

It's been 9 years and Dan has had a helluva career and made a helluva lot of money doing radio and everything else. If I had to bet, I'd say he's well gotten past all the IU stuff. If it bothers him he sure doesn't avoid calling IU home and road games when he gets the chance. He sure doesn't avoid discussing IU in any way, shape, or form. Certainly not like another guy who used to coach here who's clearly not over what happened almost 17 years ago.

I think you're right...I think he does bend over backwards to not be critical of Crean at all. He knows there are people out there who will just write it off as "sour grapes", so there's no point. Plus I believe deep down he loves IU. How could he not? Played for IU, coached at IU...he had to spend some of the best years of his life involved with IU.

I also think you're right that he would give a much different opinion off record. Things that are true that he knows he can't say on a radio show or on a nationally televised game.

It's been 9 years and Dan has had a helluva career and made a helluva lot of money doing radio and everything else. If I had to bet, I'd say he's well gotten past all the IU stuff. If it bothers him he sure doesn't avoid calling IU home and road games when he gets the chance. He sure doesn't avoid discussing IU in any way, shape, or form. Certainly not like another guy who used to coach here who's clearly not over what happened almost 17 years ago.

I think you're right...I think he does bend over backwards to not be critical of Crean at all. He knows there are people out there who will just write it off as "sour grapes", so there's no point. Plus I believe deep down he loves IU. How could he not? Played for IU, coached at IU...he had to spend some of the best years of his life involved with IU.

I also think you're right that he would give a much different opinion off record. Things that are true that he knows he can't say on a radio show or on a nationally televised game.

Dakich lost me as a fan of his pretty much forever when he went out of his way to stand over on the Ohio State football team sideline (twice) to show his support for the opposing coach.

I wouldn't cross the street to whiz on him if he were on fire.

I feel the same about Knight ever since his snub of the "76" team (while attending a pu function for Keady)...

Good riddance to both of them...

A very simple concept wasn't it? Moving around is harder to guard than standing still. When Knight had the talent nothing could beat him because his teams worked for good shots and took open shots. Crean's guys work like hell to drive on 3 defenders with 3 seconds left on the shot clock or shoot it from 22 feet out.

Being open… being close to the basket… and moving without the basketball are all things that make your chance of scoring better.

Not really. The 45 second clock pretty much did it in, at least the way IU played it most years. With the 30 second clock . . . I don't think it's feasible. The value of it was in grinding defenses to dust by sheer repetition.

As untalented as Tim Priller is, the guy was really doing some good things on offense against Purdue. I think it all comes down to he was just out there playing basketball. He wasn't that caught up in creating his own shot...he was just out there playing "pick-up" setting screens for others to get open, finding openings on the court, rolling to the basket, basic basketball stuff.

I think some of the guys have become so up tight they're forgetting to just play basketball. They're forgetting basic fundamentals in the half court. Priller was just winging it and it worked to a degree. Good for him for playing with heart and maximizing his opportunity. You can't challenge the kid's heart and effort.

Reactions: largemouth
As untalented as Tim Priller is, the guy was really doing some good things on offense against Purdue. I think it all comes down to he was just out there playing basketball. He wasn't that caught up in creating his own shot...he was just out there playing "pick-up" setting screens for others to get open, finding openings on the court, rolling to the basket, basic basketball stuff.

I think some of the guys have become so up tight they're forgetting to just play basketball. They're forgetting basic fundamentals in the half court. Priller was just winging it and it worked to a degree. Good for him for playing with heart and maximizing his opportunity. You can't challenge the kid's heart and effort.
In my mind, it's because Priller had a "role" in the offense- I know again, I'm showing my age but the idea of "positionless" ball does not lay easy with me.. The kids are lost because they don't have a role other than drive and shoot.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT