ADVERTISEMENT

Only good stuff

Hair strands do not contain DNA, unless the hair was pulled out by the roots. It's pure protein that was produced by follicle cells, but not containing any intact cells.
Sorry, but that is incorrect. While the majority is keratin (a protein), hair shafts are not "pure protein." Hair shafts contain mitochondrial DNA and that can be used (to some extent) for identification purposes, even if the root is not present. mtDNA is also less susceptible to degradation as compared to nuclear DNA.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm always happy to review evidence and admit when I have made a point that was wrong! Hair shafts indeed contain mitochondrial DNA, just not nuclear DNA (unless the root is there). But either type of DNA can now be analyzed. Yay science!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: jet812 and Noodle
IMG_6899.jpg

Very cool. Gabrielle Rose, 2000 Sydney Olympian for the U.S., has qualified for the 2024 Olympic Trials - at the age of 46. Her time of 1:09.82 is just off her lifetime best of 1:09.38 from 2002.

While she is clearly a longshot to make the team, she's 46. (Dara Torres is the oldest to ever make a US Olympic team in swimming - she was 41.)

We went to the Antietam luminary display tonight. For the last 34 years they light one luminary for each of the ~23,000 killed, wounded, MIA. It is very sobering to see that many candles knowing what they represent.

I am not going to sign up for an account to upload photos, I miss the days I ran my own web servers. But you can Google Antietam luminaries and see some impressive photos.