ADVERTISEMENT

On this day: Feb 21st 1981 we beat Minny 74-63 to get to 17-9

Idiotic post. The coaches can’t even be compared. Plus a hall of fame point guard.

Idiotic post. The coaches can’t even be compared. Plus a hall of fame point guard.

He made a statement of fact that cannot be disputed. And yet you want to argue with him.

Do you do the Al Pacino routine in the mirror? “ Are you talking to me? Hey I said are you talking to me?“

Reactions: HurryinHoosiers
Very interesting, very cool. You must of been around at that time for your memory to trigger that. Or maybe you just stumbled upon it. Too cool

I was in college in 1981 and I recalled that we had 9 losses in that season, yet won the tourney and B1G. That memory triggered me to look back where I found the Minny results linked.

I remember Isiah and Landon Turner really turned it up a couple notches. It was magical.

As for the guy that called my post idiotic. The internet has created lots of keyboard commandos that I have learned to ignore. He who shares no substance, knows no substance, so therefore can't recognize it.

We lost to Pan American in Hawaii and Isiah was not very good. The sky was falling.
Somehow everything just gel'd after 9 losses.

I witnessed that season and didn't give up and won't now.

Now take your idiotic claims and shove it up your moron arse.

Reactions: minneman and T.M.P.
There is no Isaiah Thomas on this team.
Nowhere did the OP suggest that it was anything more than a coincidence. Nobody is suggesting that this team is going to do what the 1981 team did. It's an interesting tidbit (as the OP clearly states in his 2nd comment). Some folks here need to relax and stop looking so hard for an effing argument about anything and everything.
I was in college in 1981 and I recalled that we had 9 losses in that season, yet won the tourney and B1G. That memory triggered me to look back where I found the Minny results linked.

I remember Isiah and Landon Turner really turned it up a couple notches. It was magical.

As for the guy that called my post idiotic. The internet has created lots of keyboard commandos that I have learned to ignore. He who shares no substance, knows no substance, so therefore can't recognize it.
That was my senior year at IU. That team was maddeningly inconsistent and underperforming the entire pre-conference schedule. Once they got some things figured out and got everybody on board, nobody had a chance against us. It was a fun ride.

Nowhere did the OP suggest that it was anything more than a coincidence. Nobody is suggesting that this team is going to do what the 1981 team did. It's an interesting tidbit (as the OP clearly states in his 2nd comment). Some folks here need to relax and stop looking so hard for an effing argument about anything and everything.

That was my senior year at IU. That team was maddeningly inconsistent and underperforming the entire pre-conference schedule. Once they got some things figured out and got everybody on board, nobody had a chance against us. It was a fun ride.
I think Knight finally took the reigns off Isiah.

I think Knight finally took the reigns off Isiah.
Yep. That and they adjusted the offense to keep Landon along the baseline, using him less as a screener where he struggled to make proper reads. Landon also made the decision individually to show more maturity and get 100% invested in being a better player and teammate.

Things are no different today. There are some things a coach can do to make his team better, but there are a lot of things players have to decide to do on their own. If they don't, all the coaching in the world isn't going to make a team good (or great).

and here we sit at 17-9 after just beating Minny. Just found it interesting.

Go Hoosiers!
But we can't win the national championship because that would almost guarantee CAM an extension. We have to lose so we can win. It's why some people are almost giddy when IU loses. How in the world can you be a fan and enjoy losing? I would rather win.

It was my Sophomore year. The season was something to behold and the team played inspired throughout the NCAA tournament, winning every game by double digits. It was great having the rematch with NC in the tournament title game after losing to them early in the season. It was the closest score for IU in the tournament and IU still won by 13 points. It was a great ride.

Reactions: Ladoga
Yep. That and they adjusted the offense to keep Landon along the baseline, using him less as a screener where he struggled to make proper reads. Landon also made the decision individually to show more maturity and get 100% invested in being a better player and teammate.

Things are no different today. There are some things a coach can do to make his team better, but there are a lot of things players have to decide to do on their own. If they don't, all the coaching in the world isn't going to make a team good (or great).
People always thought Knight was so inflexible and made players play his way - and he did, to a great extent. But that was an example of how he fit h is offense to his personnel.

It's just part of his genius and not recognized enough.

Once Knight told Landon he was done with him and to tell his folks he wasn't coming back, Landon shaped up.

People always thought Knight was so inflexible and made players play his way - and he did, to a great extent. But that was an example of how he fit h is offense to his personnel.

It's just part of his genius and not recognized enough.

Once Knight told Landon he was done with him and to tell his folks he wasn't coming back, Landon shaped up.
Knight had been telling Landon that for two years. The difference was Landon finally heard the message. Until then, he did whatever he wanted, even as Knight tried everything in the book to motivate him. He once conducted part of a practice with LT standing in a trash can in the center circle as the team scrimmaged around him. LT pretty much laughed it off and did his thing, both on and off the court.

I figured as much. I can’t remember if it was A Season On the Brink that touched on it or not about how Knight let Isiah loose. But I do recall reading on it.
I was only 7 at the time.
Ya that guy that shot his mouth off is a fraud. Why anyone would want to trash that comment is beyond me. Can’t be an IU fan.

I wasn’t starting an argument, just stating a fact. Go Hoosiers!!!!!! Beat PSU

I wasn’t starting an argument, just stating a fact. Go Hoosiers!!!!!! Beat PSU
No problem. I shouldn't have assumed that was a snarky comment. Just seems to by a common thing for some on the board to rip on anyone who posts anything - even something as innocuous as the op's post here.

Great post. Most of us look at 17-9 and think, meh. Didn’t realize that ‘81 team was 17-9 at this point in the season, too, but I remember that ‘81 team started out 7-5 and many thought the promise of a great season was already gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT