ADVERTISEMENT

OMG!! These charging calls are absolutely criminal..

Pigalow

All-American
Nov 8, 2012
I've always hated how charge happy collegiate refs are, but the call on Green in the 1st half & Smith late in the game, were just...I mean, this isn't a disgruntled homer complaining that his team got screwed. Those were truly brutal calls, just as incorrect as incorrect gets, by any measure. 1st of all, I've never understood how it's a defender's right to defend a "spot on the floor", you're not playing against a spot in the floor, players do this in lieu of playing actual defense, in a clear attempt to manipulate the rules. How is that practice in accordance with the spirit of good sportsmanship, & the spirit of competition? In addition, I've always thought too much emphasis is put on "feet being set, or not", a charge should be a player wrecklessly, aggressively charging into(imagine that)a defender, REGARDLESS of whether or not anyone's feet are set. These calls, though, were cases of refs looking to call charges, imo. In both cases, defenders threw themselves in front of the offensive player, neither time were their feet set, clearly in an attempt to con a charging call, & tragically it worked. Both times. This is as bad as anything the NBA gets wrong with it's officiating.

They can be absolute game-changers and have a paralyzing effect on Players. Can't think of any one thing that pisses me off quite as much during a game.

Reactions: namnik
I think some refs want to be THE SPOTLIGHT!!! They will make dramatic gestures to bring attention to themselves. Great refs do not make the game about them'

I think it happens a lot when one team is considered more "blue collar".
Absolutely it does. It's almost like a scripted...reality show, at times. You can see it coming, it's so cliche...but most of all, it's total horse$#!+. Just call the friggin' game by the rules, at any & every point, call it by the book. I mean, these calls are overzealous even on top of the usual overzealousness they call charges with!! The defenders feet weren't even set, not even CLOSE. All of this & not even mentioning the danger factor in the way these players exploit this flaw in the rules/officiating. Unfortunately, it will likely take a player(s)getting injured in order for this to change, & actually, in this hypersensitive ultra PC time we live in, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. "IT" being an outcry for outlawing these charging calls & defensive practices associated with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT