ADVERTISEMENT

Omens

It’s only when he had teams with length and quickness that he could make tournament runs.
The emphasis on the 3 point shot has made the 2-3 zone a less than desirable defense in this day of age. When you have 3-4, sometime 5 guys who can all stretch the floor, it just becomes impossible to guard regardless of what kind of length and athleticism you possess. The goal of the 2-3 zone is to keep drivers out of the lane and restricts interior passing and cutting lanes; it's design forces teams to shoot from the perimeter. It worked in the 90's and 2000's when the emphasis on 3 point shooting wasn't nearly as high as it is today and teams just didn't have the personnel to shoot over it.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The emphasis on the 3 point shot has made the 2-3 zone a less than desirable defense in this day of age. When you have 3-4, sometime 5 guys who can all stretch the floor, it just becomes impossible to guard regardless of what kind of length and athleticism you possess. The goal of the 2-3 zone is to keep drivers out of the lane and restricts interior passing and cutting lanes; it's design forces teams to shoot from the perimeter. It worked in the 90's and 2000's when the emphasis on 3 point shooting wasn't nearly as high as it is today and teams just didn't have the personnel to shoot over it.
tom crean disagrees

Tom Crean forgot you were supposed to utilize an offensive player in the middle of the zone.
Plus that 2-3 was lined up further out than most. You could put your Big behind it. Watched them get burned the very next game by that. Our guys dribbled right into it.

Syracuse didn’t play the 2 3 zone back then. Go back and watch it the game. They played a box and 1 the last play of the game when Smart hit the shot which threw off Iu because they played man to man all game..
I thought they played zone out front and mtm against the other 3 . . . Alford was guarded by Douglas, Coleman was on Thomas and Seikely was on Garrett.

In any case, you're right . . . they didn't play a straight up 2-3 zone . . . . Douglas had Alford mtm and the guards played zone while the guys underneath matched up mtm or match up zone.

Who was IU's #44? I know the other players and their numbers. Was that Hillman?

I thought they played zone out front and mtm against the other 3 . . . Alford was guarded by Douglas, Coleman was on Thomas and Seikely was on Garrett.

In any case, you're right . . . they didn't play a straight up 2-3 zone . . . . Douglas had Alford mtm and the guards played zone while the guys underneath matched up mtm or match up zone.

good clock management also hit the shot with 4 seconds left.

It wasn't that short for the BIG, but it was inside the top of the key for the ACC. I remember before the 83 season RMK said there were only 3 in the BIG that could shoot it well and he had 2 of them
As I recall the original 3-point line was the same distance as the top of the key. I think it has been moved back twice since then.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
As I recall the original 3-point line was the same distance as the top of the key. I think it has been moved back twice since then.
Yep. Shot clock was 45 seconds and reset full 45. It’s a different game today.

Jim runs different zones. I just assumed the 87 game was 2-3. He always zones though.

Reactions: Sope Creek

Hillman

Other thing I noticed, and I can't be sure without facial recognition tech, but it sure looks like Bobby Cremins was rooting against us, shame, I always liked his teams

Reactions: ulrey
81 team was just as good if not better than the 76 team at the end of the season.
I agree . . . but not the '75 team with Green and Laskowski. The '81 team was deeper than the '76 team. The '75 team was as deep as the '81 team . . .

. . . Wilkerson on Wittman, Buckner on Isiah, Turner on Benson, and May on Kitchel . . . and vice versa. Tolbert on Green/Abernethy is where it all breaks down. It's a mismatch favoring '75 IMO . . .

. . . but I dunno. It'd have been a helluva match up.

Last edited:
Other thing I noticed, and I can't be sure without facial recognition tech, but it sure looks like Bobby Cremins was rooting against us, shame, I always liked his teams
Bobby's a New Yorker . . . also, everybody had it in for IU back then . . . we were the odds-on favorite to win the BiG every year and a perennial contender for the national championship.

We just thought it was the way it was supposed to be. Entitlement personified. We didn't know what we had . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
They were better than IU probably. As well as UNC perhaps and UNLV was more dangerous. But IU was there in the group and had the best coach in the game at the time. Wanted it more. IU had the best men's college basketball coach from 1971-1994.
Oh, definitely more talented, but we played well. I think what bothers me most about our current state of things is that even on our best day, either of these teams would annihilate us with just solid play. The passing and ball handling, shooting is just night and day better then

Oh, definitely more talented, but we played well. I think what bothers me most about our current state of things is that even on our best day, either of these teams would annihilate us with just solid play. The passing and ball handling, shooting is just night and day better then
Wisconsin has become what we used to be. not at the level of Knight teams but just good fundamental well coached teams

Reactions: IUgradman
Wisconsin has become what we used to be. not at the level of Knight teams but just good fundamental well coached teams
. . . and I think that is a direct product of the stranglehold Knight's Indiana teams had on Wisconsin during those years.

RMK was supposed to take over the Wisconsin program the year he was hired at IU, but Wisconsin's AD dawdled in hiring Knight. IU swooped in and scooped him up . . . and the rest is history . . . .

It’s only when he had teams with length and quickness that he could make tournament runs.
Yeah, but conversely, when we don't have a coach that understands it, and I'm thinking of somebody in particular, it becomes our downfall.

Thanks for sharing that video

Reactions: Sope Creek
do you remembered the year that I think it was only used in Big 10 games? And the line was ridiculous only like 17 foot if I recall we had Kitchell and Witman on that team.
It was 83 and Big 10 line was deep it was the ACC that the line was inside the FT circle

they struggled early but 81 would have given them anything they wanted if both teams played in March. hypothetical but who knows, just wish we could have some other teams to discuss like those 2 in the last 40 years.
Likely would have. 81 had an all time NBA great on it plus 5 others that got drafted. I know Landon's was honorary but if not for the accident he was maybe the #1 pick so he would have been.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT