ADVERTISEMENT

OK Fred, Here's a High Slow Floater Right Over the Plate

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Lucas Oil Stadium has a wide open date on April 12th 2019... Nothing scheduled the two days after and nothing the week prior...

*******Move the Spring Game to Lucas Oil Stadium...& Promote it Region wide as a Free preview of INDIANA Football...*******

Add giveaways for kids, skills camp mini setups for kids 7 to whatever age is legal with the NCAA...

Lure the IU donor class illuminati with dinners in their honor, glad handing with the staff, etc...

Have some Colts on hand (perhaps mix them into the skills setups...

Perhaps roll in a pregame "battle of the high school bands" setup between, say, Carmel ([North[), New Palestine ([East]), Center Grove [(South)], and Avon [(West)]... *Bands seem a bigger draw than football sometimes around here...

Maybe have a downtown hotel dinner and room package or two thrown in...

Oh..., and invite every NFL scout and GM you have on speed dial to be on hand (and give them class A treatment so they'll look forward to next year)... (and let them watch a Thursday closed Skills session with our Team (sort of an early mini combine)...

By the way, the Lucas Oil Stadium roof is able to close, so rain is no longer a factor.

Oh.., and TA likes to approximate the conditions of the opening game with the Spring Game...,well this is where we are playing the opening game...

If you you can't hit this softball ball far, far over the fence Fred, than there's simply nothing I can do to help you...;)

You've got two full months. That gives you two and a half weeks to set it all up and 5 & 1/2 weeks to promote it...

It can be done... All that's necessary is the will to do it...

And... April 13th is an open date at the Luke also.

Last edited:
LOS is pretty expensive to rent out but this is a great idea, could absolutely turn into a great tradition for the program and help in making a statement that this is the premier program in the state. The mini combine could be really cool. I don't think the scouts can specifically talk to the players, but I believe (could be wrong) they can pass on info to the staff about what each player can work on. This seems like a loophole that could be exploited, would have to help recruiting tremendously to be able to go into their living rooms and be able to say "we will have a combine with NFL scouts every year you're at Indiana where where you will receive individual feedback from each of them on how you need to improve in order to reach the league." Outside of the box thinking like this is what will help take the program to the next level. Also absolutely love the aspect of a preview of what it's like to play in LOS in advance of Ball State.

Only other downside I saw besides LOS cost is that you would probably have to pay the HS bands an amount significantly above what you'd think considering it's at an extremely awkward time of year for them. Btw I'm sure New Pal has a fine program but CG has won BOA national championships in the past and Carmel and Avon fight for the national title every year these days, so I can't really see them hanging in that mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Lucas Oil Stadium has a wide open date on April 12th 2019... Nothing scheduled the two days after and nothing the week prior...

*******Move the Spring Game to Lucas Oil Stadium...& Promote it Region wide as a Free preview of INDIANA Football...*******

Add giveaways for kids, skills camp mini setups for kids 7 to whatever age is legal with the NCAA...

Lure the IU donor class illuminati with dinners in their honor, glad handing with the staff, etc...

Perhaps roll in a pregame "battle of the high school bands" setup between, say, Carmel ([North[), New Palestine ([East]), Center Grove [(South)], and Avon [(West)]... *Bands seem a bigger draw than football sometimes around here...

Oh..., and invite every NFL scout and GM you have on speed dial to be on hand (and give them class A treatment so they'll look forward to next year)... (and let them watch a Thursday closed Skills session with our Team (sort of an early mini combine)...

By the way, the Lucas Oil Stadium roof is able to close, so rain is no longer a factor.

Oh.., and TA likes to approximate the conditions of the opening game with the Spring Game...,well this is where we are playing the opening game...

If you you can't hit this softball ball far, far over the fence Fred, than there's simply nothing I can do to help you...;)

You've got two full months. That gives you two and a half weeks to set it all up and 5 & 1/2 weeks to promote it...

Random thoughts at 3:30 AM?

I actually like it. The spring game doesn't draw flies even when it is attached to the worlds greatest college weekend so I like this idea.

LOS is speedy to open and secure but considering it wouldn't exist without Fred, maybe they make him a deal. Ask some Indy donors to help with the costs, create an event as you say and build the base. The last two classes are really strong so show them off.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Great ideas! And LOS can't be that expensive - high school teams play there all the time.

The only question is, would enough people pay to go? I guess IU could pick up the tab.

Here's a thought - make it a double header and have Purdoo-doo have their Spring game there, too. Split the costs.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Get some of the deep pockets to contribute $10 (or whatever) to a community cause for everyone who shows up at the event.

Update: just checked and Little 5 is that weekend which complicates things given the significant administrative resources required to host those campus wide events. Not necessarily a show stopper but makes it a lot tougher to do.

Is IU really the premier program in the state? What about Notre Dame?

Great ideas! And LOS can't be that expensive - high school teams play there all the time.

The only question is, would enough people pay to go? I guess IU could pick up the tab.

Here's a thought - make it a double header and have Purdoo-doo have their Spring game there, too. Split the costs.

Play a spring game against Purdue.

Update: just checked and Little 5 is that weekend which complicates things given the significant administrative resources required to host those campus wide events. Not necessarily a show stopper but makes it a lot tougher to do.
The IU Foundation organizes and runs the little 5. As far as I know the athletic department doesn't have anything to do with it.

I don't think it would interfere with planning for either event. I like this idea. Attendance is always bad at the spring game, do something different to get enthusiasm for it.

I remember close to the same time of the spring game, the soccer team scrimmaged another team at Memorial Stadium and it felt like there was a bigger crowd for that event than the football spribg game.

The IU Foundation organizes and runs the little 5. As far as I know the athletic department doesn't have anything to do with it.

I don't think it would interfere with planning for either event. I like this idea. Attendance is always bad at the spring game, do something different to get enthusiasm for it.

I remember close to the same time of the spring game, the soccer team scrimmaged another team at Memorial Stadium and it felt like there was a bigger crowd for that event than the football spribg game.

There are events all over campus for four days. As an IUSF alum I know the roles. I love the idea but don't think they can happen simultaneously.

Last edited:

There's a good idea. Schedule both a soccer and football scrimmage

giphy.gif

I like your outside of the box thinking. Two thoughts I would add is that it would need to be cost effective (maybe find a sponsor/donations to pick up some of the tab) and that the game be scheduled the Saturday prior to Little 5 so players/staff/fans can enjoy the weekend. Our spring game is poorly attended. We need to explore options such as this to create excitement. We could invite recruits to come see the game.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

It would be Free for the spectators. Perhaps a canned good donation upon entry for the local food pantry would be an upgrade...

Screw pu. If we were to partner with anyone on this I'd prefer Ball State (maybe they could play their game at 5:30pm and we could move our Kickoff to 7:30pm).

The chance of this happening is only slightly better than the odds of hitting Powerball.

There's a good idea. Schedule both a soccer and football scrimmage

Anything to help increase attendance. Maybe a kids soccer setup over at the IUPUI soccer field, then a short soccer scrimmage at the same venue...

If we were going to do this I'd move the game to Saturday (April 13th at 7:30pm). The Little 500 should most likely be wrapped up at least two hours prior (it starts at 2pm) so there's no real conflict Kickoff timewise (Lucas Oil Stadium is approximately 55 minutes north of the Indiana University campus).

The reality is that, historically, most of the Little Five crowd was never going to the Spring Game anyway so whatever inconvenience the Kickoff time and venue causes will only affect a very small number of people (IMO)...

If we did do all that (move it to S the 13th at 7:30pm). I'd go all out and add a golf scramble that morning for the IU and Ball St fans... Perhaps a fundraising breakfast prior and/or luncheon afterwards...

There are events all over campus for four days. As an IUSF alum I know the roles. I love the idea but don't think they can happen simultaneously.

See my thought above...

By moving it to Saturday the 13th at 7:30pm we'd be the last event of the L5 weekend.

The few students who might have wandered over (I've never seen more than a couple of thousand [out of a student population of over 40,000] probably wouldn't drive up but those numbers would be more than offset by area fans and local high schoolers ( the very new fans we want to attract )...

LOS is pretty expensive to rent out but this is a great idea, could absolutely turn into a great tradition for the program and help in making a statement that this is the premier program in the state. The mini combine could be really cool. I don't think the scouts can specifically talk to the players, but I believe (could be wrong) they can pass on info to the staff about what each player can work on. This seems like a loophole that could be exploited, would have to help recruiting tremendously to be able to go into their living rooms and be able to say "we will have a combine with NFL scouts every year you're at Indiana where where you will receive individual feedback from each of them on how you need to improve in order to reach the league." Outside of the box thinking like this is what will help take the program to the next level. Also absolutely love the aspect of a preview of what it's like to play in LOS in advance of Ball State.

Only other downside I saw besides LOS cost is that you would probably have to pay the HS bands an amount significantly above what you'd think considering it's at an extremely awkward time of year for them. Btw I'm sure New Pal has a fine program but CG has won BOA national championships in the past and Carmel and Avon fight for the national title every year these days, so I can't really see them hanging in that mix.

Okay, as far as the bands go, just have CG & Car-mel' show up. They love to compete against each other...

Personally, I wouldn't "pay" any HS bands to come. I'd offer them the "opportunity" period.

With the entire recruiting season now put on fast forward, the Spring Game should become a recruiting crown jewel to be leveraged for all it's worth, utilizing every NCAA legal angle to pique the interest of prospective recruits, while also attempting to lure area fans to come and take a look at what they've been missing.

The soccer team has an annual spring game against the Mexican U 20 team. It is attended by every Mexican person in the central US I think. It is also a whole lot of fun. Those people really know how to have a great time at a soccer game. They dress up and are chanting and dancing and just having a ball while not much is going on out on the field. You should try to go to one, it’s a lot of fun.

Reactions: coachv jr
Okay, as far as the bands go, just have CG & Car-mel' show up. They love to compete against each other...

Personally, I wouldn't "pay" any HS bands to come. I'd offer them the "opportunity" period.
Sorry but I really don't think high school bands that already perform five or six times a year at the least in Lucas Oil are going to jump at the "opportunity" of paying for buses for 200+ kids during their off season to go perform at the IU spring game. In fact I know one of the programs I listed (I'm sure the others do too) has an open offer to play the National Anthem at Pacers games and doesn't bother to get an ensemble together more than probably once every five years. Gotta love the off-season and having nothing better to talk about than whether it'd be feasible to bring marching bands to the spring game.

Sorry but I really don't think high school bands that already perform five or six times a year at the least in Lucas Oil are going to jump at the "opportunity" of paying for buses for 200+ kids during their off season to go perform at the IU spring game. In fact I know one of the programs I listed (I'm sure the others do too) has an open offer to play the National Anthem at Pacers games and doesn't bother to get an ensemble together more than probably once every five years. Gotta love the off-season and having nothing better to talk about than whether it'd be feasible to bring marching bands to the spring game.

You're undoubtedly correct.

I bow to your knowledge of area bands.

That idea wasn't the number one draw on my list though and I don't believe they'd bring enough folks to make their presence worth the payout.

I'll amend my larger concept to give whatever time those highly sought after bands may have used for expanded time for the kids Skills stations...

I do appreciate the input because I know zip about the bands aside from the fact that they have their own serious following. It's good to hear they're that well thought of.

Last edited:
As someone who has actually made a living marketing sports and events....this is a preposterous fan idea from a collection of people who always think they know better....

This event would flop and lose money, like a fat kid into a vat of melted chocolate.
Nice first post. Would you happen to know an "Ordfan"?

Reactions: 76-1 and Bowlmania
As someone who has actually made a living marketing sports and events....this is a preposterous fan idea from a collection of people who always think they know better....

This event would flop and lose money, like a fat kid into a vat of melted chocolate.

Sounds like a post from someone (pu fan) deathly afraid it might become something we could build on...

Of course it would lose money, it's FREE...

Only a pu grad would miss something that freaking obvious...

It's an up front recruiting expense pure and simple.

It's long term benefits far outweigh any demonstrable up front loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Good ideas but it won’t happen.Fred and Company hope it thunders so they can cancel the day.They don’t give a damn about the fans or promoting IU football.
The correct answer. I doubt Allen really wants to practice in front of a crowd either. No way we would spend the money to rent LOS when we could lose less at Memorial Stadium/

The correct answer. I doubt Allen really wants to practice in front of a crowd either. No way we would spend the money to rent LOS when we could lose less at Memorial Stadium/
If someone wants to spy on us, what's keeping them from coming to MS to do it?

spring in Btown at Little 5 is a special time in a special place.

from an entertaining visitors pov, moving the spring game to LOC would take all the magic of spring in Btown, on the IU campus, at Little 5 time, out of the equation.

spring in Btown at Little 5 is a special time in a special place.

from an entertaining visitors pov, moving the spring game to LOC would take all the magic of spring in Btown, on the IU campus, at Little 5 time, out of the equation.

Have you been to a Spring Game in the past twenty years?

The numbers (or lack of) are embarrassing. Most I've seen in years hovered around the 3-4,000 mark.

You can bring the recruit visitors in and flash their names up on the big board when it's "supposed" to be empty and it would be a much better look than having them see a venue that should be close to full but can't fill up a 1/3 of the E side... (this while everyone else on campus is literally doing anything else then bothering to come to a free game...).

Linking Little 5 to the Spring Game (to supposedly boast Game attendance) has been a farce for decades..., in my opinion...

Have you been to a Spring Game in the past twenty years?

The numbers (or lack of) are embarrassing. Most I've seen in years hovered around the 3-4,000 mark.

You can bring the recruit visitors in and flash their names up on the big board when it's "supposed" to be empty and it would be a much better look than having them see a venue that should be close to full but can't fill up a 1/3 of the E side... (this while everyone else on campus is literally doing anything else then bothering to come to a free game...).

Linking Little 5 to the Spring Game (to supposedly boast Game attendance) has been a farce for decades..., in my opinion...

A), yes, more than one.

B), i was there for more than just the game, but to spend the day in Btown, walk the campus, do Kirkwood and downtown in the evening.

for visitors, the race itself is nice to experience.

IU has more to sell than just the crowd at the spring game.

C), you're making an assumption that the game at LOS would somehow pull in a significantly larger crowd, with absolutely no reason to assume so.

and if it doesn't, you've gained absolutely zero, spent money, and lost all the positives of spring on campus at little 5.

even when i lived in Indy, i would prefer to go to Btown for the spring game.

with the QB and RB competition this yr, the spring game should be quite interesting.

if it's not on BTN so i can DVR it, i'll be thoroughly pssed.

Last edited:
A), yes, more than one.

B), i was there for more than just the game, but to spend the day in Btown, walk the campus, do Kirkwood and downtown in the evening.

for visitors, the race itself is nice to experience.

IU has more to sell than just the crowd at the spring game.

C), you're making an assumption that the game at LOS would somehow pull in a significantly larger crowd, with absolutely no reason to assume so.

and if it doesn't, you've gained absolutely zero, spent money, and lost all the positives of spring on campus at little 5.

even when i lived in Indy, i would prefer to go to Btown for the spring game.

with the QB and RB competition this yr, the spring game should be quite interesting.

if it's not on BTN so i can DVR it, i'll be thoroughly pssed.

Actually, I agree with you as far as my personal venue preference goes but this isn't about us it's about recruiting.

As far as someone who feels the need to see the race and the game it's a non-issue if they're serious about doing both.

The race is over by 5:30pm and the Spring Game would Kickoff at 7:30 per my plan outlined above.

Even with INDOT's best efforts at screwing up the days travels (and we all know that's coming in some form), getting to LOS in 2 hours should be doable, given it should be 55 minutes under normal circumstances...

The key is getting high school football teams and their parents and coaches to show up. This can happen given a serious effort to promote it (in my opinion).

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT