ADVERTISEMENT

OK Fred, Here's a High Slow Floater Right Over the Plate

I like the idea of taking the IU football team on the road for spring ball. However what makes you think that students are going to leave campus on the biggest college party weekend and drive to Indy? They don’t show up on game days on campus. Also you want the recruits on campus on Little 5 weekend.
You can have a scrimmage one weekend in Indy and the next weekend have another scrimmage in day Ft Wayne and basically accomplish the same thing.

spring in Btown at Little 5 is a special time in a special place.

from an entertaining visitors pov, moving the spring game to LOC would take all the magic of spring in Btown, on the IU campus, at Little 5 time, out of the equation.
The Spring game has nothing to do with Little 5 weekend, other than it's on that weekend.

It's ignored by the vast majority of students, who are usually nursing a hangover instead of going to the game. The only people who show up at the game are friends and relatives of the players and some hard-core fans like yours truly.

I'm not really bitching about the attendance - I think it's been a pretty large number for a team that hasn't had a winning season in 12 years.

Reactions: 76-1
I would rather keep the game at MS and spend that money trying to draw more people. Maybe some gear giveaways or some free food after the game. Probably not going to get students with everything else going on but maybe get some families from the surrounding area. Maybe offer discounts vouchers for games that wont sell out during the season.

Reactions: DANC
I would rather keep the game at MS and spend that money trying to draw more people. Maybe some gear giveaways or some free food after the game. Probably not going to get students with everything else going on but maybe get some families from the surrounding area. Maybe offer discounts vouchers for games that wont sell out during the season.
A few years ago, there was free food before the game - it was pretty good, too.

If you want to draw crowds, you've got to let it be known there is a Spring game. Advertise heavily - on TV and Print and Internet. Then, as you say, do giveaways of athletic gear, tickets, etc.

I'd also like to see them open up the entire Memorial Stadium complex for tours - I realize you can probably get one by calling up the athletic dept. But make it convenient and efficient for fans who are going to the Spring game.

If someone wants to spy on us, what's keeping them from coming to MS to do it?
There will be better opportunities to scout, or spy us under actual game conditions. Other teams might be able to scout individual players, but a lot will change by the fall. We will probably be missing players due to injury and incarceration by the fall.

The Spring scrimmage is a chance to bring in recruits, but they can visit a closed practice just as easily. I'm not planning to go this Spring. I was very excited to go last year but they decided we weren't capable of deciding for ourselves whether to go. I spend enough Saturdays there in the fall to schedule a day in the Spring that can be cancelled.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
There will be better opportunities to scout, or spy us under actual game conditions. Other teams might be able to scout individual players, but a lot will change by the fall. We will probably be missing players due to injury and incarceration by the fall.

The Spring scrimmage is a chance to bring in recruits, but they can visit a closed practice just as easily. I'm not planning to go this Spring. I was very excited to go last year but they decided we weren't capable of deciding for ourselves whether to go. I spend enough Saturdays there in the fall to schedule a day in the Spring that can be cancelled.

If they held it at Lucas Oil Stadium weather shouldn't be a factor...

Reactions: DANC
Funny how people continue to harp on the spring game being moved inside because of the threat of rain that apparently never happened. I guess people don’t realize that it Is a glorified practice and there is a lot that goes into preparing for practice and if they started outside and has to be moved inside it is a waste of time and may have resulted in practice being cancelled as opposed to just moving inside like they did.

If they held it at Lucas Oil Stadium weather shouldn't be a factor...
The practice doesn't generate revenue. The only reason to have it public is to generate excitement in the program for fans and recruits.

First it would cost too much and there would be too many empty seats. Second, how does inviting recruits to Indy help them see our facilities, meet with academic staff, and tour where they would live? The recruits would have to make another trip to Btown. We might only have one shot with some invited guests.

I would rather visit the campus and the local restaurants than sit in an empty LOS. I was willing to drive up last year to sit in the rain with my poncho for even a limited scrimmage. I sat through a monsoon, blistering heat and a cold wind event during the season. I have sat through bad weather in Spring scrimmages before.

Funny how people continue to harp on the spring game being moved inside because of the threat of rain that apparently never happened. I guess people don’t realize that it Is a glorified practice and there is a lot that goes into preparing for practice and if they started outside and has to be moved inside it is a waste of time and may have resulted in practice being cancelled as opposed to just moving inside like they did.
Gosh yeah, it's tough to walk from the stadium to Mellencamp.....

What about agility bags, blocking dummies, water coolers, medical supplies, practice snacks, headsets, extra equipment and repair kits? Will that all walk there itself? Also may have to adapt practice scripts.Lot more involved tha you see.

What about agility bags, blocking dummies, water coolers, medical supplies, practice snacks, headsets, extra equipment and repair kits? Will that all walk there itself? Also may have to adapt practice scripts.Lot more involved tha you see.
They don't have blocking dummies at MS during the spring game.

I bet those headsets and practice snacks are real heavy.

You do know that a lot of that stuff is already there in Mellencamp, since that IS the indoor training facility, right?

As far as adapting, that's why you have a backup plan.

They don't have blocking dummies at MS during the spring game.

I bet those headsets and practice snacks are real heavy.

You do know that a lot of that stuff is already there in Mellencamp, since that IS the indoor training facility, right?

As far as adapting, that's why you have a backup plan.
What is wrong with being proactive and trusting the meteorologists and moving the game inside and when I watched the spring game highlights there were bags and dummies used in pregame.
There is a lot that goes into practices and games. Just stopping mid practice and moving to another sight is time consuming and tedious.

I have never been to a spring game. What is the crowd like? Not numbers but I mean who are the people? Are there students or is it mostly adults? Here is my concern with the idea. If you move it to Lucas Oil Stadium you are bound to draw a fair amount of attention from the Indianapolis media. And as they say no press is bad press but if we have a really bad turnout that would not look good. If you move it to downtown Indy you are saying hey this is a big deal, come see it. Then you are relying on the IU fans in Indy who won’t dribe to Bloomington for a real game to show up at the stadium for a practice. I like the creative thinking. God knows we need it but I would rather we have our first experience with football in Indy against Ball State than risk a flop for the spring game. If we have no fear of a bad crowd then I guess go for it.

What is wrong with being proactive and trusting the meteorologists and moving the game inside and when I watched the spring game highlights there were bags and dummies used in pregame.
There is a lot that goes into practices and games. Just stopping mid practice and moving to another sight is time consuming and tedious.
Well, I go to Spring games - I don't watch highlights. There are no dummies used in the stadium - that's for the practice field.

Lucas Oil Stadium has a wide open date on April 12th 2019... Nothing scheduled the two days after and nothing the week prior...

*******Move the Spring Game to Lucas Oil Stadium...& Promote it Region wide as a Free preview of INDIANA Football...*******

Add giveaways for kids, skills camp mini setups for kids 7 to whatever age is legal with the NCAA...

Lure the IU donor class illuminati with dinners in their honor, glad handing with the staff, etc...

Have some Colts on hand (perhaps mix them into the skills setups...

Perhaps roll in a pregame "battle of the high school bands" setup between, say, Carmel ([North[), New Palestine ([East]), Center Grove [(South)], and Avon [(West)]... *Bands seem a bigger draw than football sometimes around here...

Maybe have a downtown hotel dinner and room package or two thrown in...

Oh..., and invite every NFL scout and GM you have on speed dial to be on hand (and give them class A treatment so they'll look forward to next year)... (and let them watch a Thursday closed Skills session with our Team (sort of an early mini combine)...

By the way, the Lucas Oil Stadium roof is able to close, so rain is no longer a factor.

Oh.., and TA likes to approximate the conditions of the opening game with the Spring Game...,well this is where we are playing the opening game...

If you you can't hit this softball ball far, far over the fence Fred, than there's simply nothing I can do to help you...;)

You've got two full months. That gives you two and a half weeks to set it all up and 5 & 1/2 weeks to promote it...

It can be done... All that's necessary is the will to do it...

And... April 13th is an open date at the Luke also.
I would not be for this whatsoever. While I'm sure alumni would love it and it could get donor money interested, it would hurt recruiting. The spring game is a huge recruiting time, so you really want to schmooze those kids on campus where the NCAA allows them to be. I'm not sure if the rules allow them to be off campus if the game was held elsewhere. While the spring game is basically a game to showcase our depth, and means nothing in the grand scheme of things, I think we need to just keep it where it is and do boost the recruiting side, rather than rent some huge venue for a nothing game.

Unlimited free beer and free Uber and Lyft service after the scrimmage. And sunny weather. Could get over 8,000. ;)

Lucas Oil Stadium has a wide open date on April 12th 2019... Nothing scheduled the two days after and nothing the week prior...

*******Move the Spring Game to Lucas Oil Stadium...& Promote it Region wide as a Free preview of INDIANA Football...*******

Add giveaways for kids, skills camp mini setups for kids 7 to whatever age is legal with the NCAA...

Lure the IU donor class illuminati with dinners in their honor, glad handing with the staff, etc...

Perhaps roll in a pregame "battle of the high school bands" setup between, say, Carmel ([North[), New Palestine ([East]), Center Grove [(South)], and Avon [(West)]... *Bands seem a bigger draw than football sometimes around here...

Oh..., and invite every NFL scout and GM you have on speed dial to be on hand (and give them class A treatment so they'll look forward to next year)... (and let them watch a Thursday closed Skills session with our Team (sort of an early mini combine)...

By the way, the Lucas Oil Stadium roof is able to close, so rain is no longer a factor.

Oh.., and TA likes to approximate the conditions of the opening game with the Spring Game...,well this is where we are playing the opening game...

If you you can't hit this softball ball far, far over the fence Fred, than there's simply nothing I can do to help you...;)

You've got two full months. That gives you two and a half weeks to set it all up and 5 & 1/2 weeks to promote it...

Paying money for a spotlight with likely less attendance? Sounds like an awful idea. 3,000 at LoS looks a lot worse than MS.

Reactions: 94Hoosier

imagine the hundreds of enthusiastic fans in attendance!

Sounds like a post from someone (pu fan) deathly afraid it might become something we could build on...

Of course it would lose money, it's FREE...

Only a pu grad would miss something that freaking obvious...

It's an up front recruiting expense pure and simple.

It's long term benefits far outweigh any demonstrable up front loss.
there is currently a thread suggesting painting memorial stadium's aluminum bleachers to make them appear less empty. imagine the further embarrassment of 1500 fans packed into lucas for a spring game

The correct answer. I doubt Allen really wants to practice in front of a crowd either. No way we would spend the money to rent LOS when we could lose less at Memorial Stadium/
but gain a small amount in parking and concessions

ADVERTISEMENT