ADVERTISEMENT

OFF-TOPIC post regarding my disdain for OT posts

Purcupile, am I allowed to talk about IU in the off topic forum?

If so is it off topic or on topic? I'm confused, talk amongst yourselves.
This post was edited on 2/23 4:49 PM by madisonia

Sniff Sniff I am sooooo honored !!!!!

I cannot tell you how much it means to me that my water heater
post made the top of your list!

I will continue to do off topic post until the man himself ...PEEGS...
tells me otherwise!

when did church become a business?

all your "instances" are way off base here... this is a message board... just scroll down if you don't want to read it, don't click on it. no one is talking too loud or drinking too many "spirits", so take it easy pal.

Shouldn't you be busy doing something more productive?

Like keeping kids off your lawn? OK I'm done now.

It's simple really...

As I said: "My complaints have been about ridiculiously OT posts like WATER HEATERS, CARS, FAVORITE MOVIES, WHERE TO CONNECT WITH WHORES IN FORT WAYNE, AND TV SHOWS THE KIDS ARE WATCHING as well as many other assorted totally non-related topics".

The poster of that thread was referring to D TV and the BTN...I consider that related to IU basketball...wouldn't you?

I haven't posted for months because I have nothing worthwhile to say...

..you should follow my lead.
Oh, I do have something to say...I think that Seyton has earned his OT posting privileges.

The last three pages don't contain nearly as many posts as they...

might if not for the many responses to purpcupile's original post. Which sort of makes the point he and Peegs have made. When you have either several OT posts or one with many responses, readers have to scroll back several pages to get all the recent BBall information.

I basically agree with purcupile. On the other hand, many posters view this forum as a community with which to share personal information, seek counseling or condolences for personal losses, etc. And I don't think that is going to stop.
This post was edited on 2/23 5:20 PM by mark058

Re: when did church become a business?

Porcupile, quit your subscription and we all will reimburse Peegs for the money he is out. I enjoy the post I choose to read and others maybe I don't choose to read, wow, what a novel idea! You can choose which posts you want to read.

This has to be the most idiotic OT post of all time and yet I still chose to read and tell the OP to quit being an idiot.

Not OT: Re: OT posts Re: Another post in support of OT posts

Since this is an IU fan site, and geared toward IU basketball, in particular, I understand why quick access to IU content is preferred. My position is that since we are all of kindred spirit as IU fans and/or alumni, that makes us all 'friends' in a way, and therefore, I am interested in participating in the rich conversations, OT or not, learning the 'inside' jokes, and watching the deterioration of Ovaltine's liver in real time. This is a community of people who pay to be here. I can't see any legitimate beef so long as an OT post is labeled as such. I say, take care of businees in your real life, and you won't be so concerned about rules in an internet forum.

As Peegs has indicated, when OT posts take up a lot of space...

those who thought they were paying for basketball info have to dig through a lot of what they consider "trash" to find it. If you subscribed for a search service for particular information related to your business(let's say stock quotes, or wellhead oil price tracking, or legal developments related to property law) and your service provider sent you a great deal of unrelated information mixed in with what you wanted, would you really think you were getting what you wanted? Especially if the extraneous info was about the publishers family? Or pictures of cute dogs dressed up for Halloween? Or whatever? And especially if you were not in the position some on this form are that allows gobs of Internet browsing during the work day on company time?

****ATTN MODS****: When this thread has taken up too much space....

...PLEASE do not delete it.

I would like to request that it be moved to the Legendary Threads Forum.

I think most of us can agree that's where it rightfully belongs.

Respectfully submitted,

Not Fade Away

That is a reasonable position and a great point, but

do you feel the forum has crossed the line with OT posts? I personally do not. So far only the original poster seems to have a problem with the "signal to noise" ratio. Personally, I don't have a problem finding anything I'm looking for, so I'm pretty content. As well written as your post is, it is unclear if you side with the OP or those who don't feel bothered by the current level of OT posts. I would encourage those who feel like the OP to say so clearly, as Peegs has indicated he is interested on poster feedback.

religions and churches are businesses- faith is not..... *

nt

Who cares?

You make an OT post to address your disdain for OT posts. I know you addressed it (not really) in the last paragraph of your OT post, but that isn't really relevant. It's like saying I hate watching baseball, and to show that, I watch baseball. That's really stupid.

Quote from terms of service:

"IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF THIS SITE, OR WITH ANY OF THESE TERMS OF USE AND NOTICES, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THIS SITE AND ITS RELATED SERVICES."

This is for entertainment, ya'll. We can't all be held to individual definitions of 'trash'. If I read an 'on-topic' post I disagree with, could that not be considered trash?

I believe this thread is akin to the conversation that led to 'contents are hot' warnings on coffee cups. Let's accomodate the morans. What is so difficult about not clicking on a post?? Definitely agree with NFA. This thread is legendary, indeed.

The custom on the OTF is,

you can post about IU basketball, if you do 2 things:

1. Put OT in the subject line, so we know it's about IU basketball, and

2. Post boobies as penance.

Also, if the majority of people using the service seem to think it's

acceptable, wouldn't it make more sense to cater to them? Or kick the majority out and have just you pay him for information? It's bad business to do simply what a small minority wants, regardless of their idiotic and arrogant opinion.

I am neither opposed not unopposed. Depends on how much...

clutter results. Seyton's thread last night came during "quiet hours" and there wasn't much else to read so it didn't bother me. But there are times when several long OT threads on topics from brew to football to requests for personal prayers have really cluttered up the front pages and that does annoy me.

I did not discuss another relevant point, which is I don't come hear to read about other posters' personal lives and problems. But some do, they are looking for social engagement as well as basketball discussion. And there should be some balance in those sensitivites, as well.

People who are having a loud party always defend the noise. Which is why this thread is so long and annoying -- and it's not purcupile's fault. I hope that analogy is not too obscure, but it's what I have to say about this issue.
This post was edited on 2/23 6:09 PM by mark058

Got it. I think that is how most feel.

Purcupile is getting piled on (bad pun, not intended) because he has a habit of complaining about these types of things. For example, he has started another thread about this very topic. But if others feel like him they should speak up--even if they don't post real often.

What a dumbass post.

Seriously. Of all the stuff you could bitch about you pick OT posts on the Premie. Good God.

Sound interrupts you thinking or reading as does OT Posts not regarding the

whole purpose of this forum. Think about it.

Re: I think this is what he means...sigh

I read that post last night and it made me laugh....I find humor in post like this! Who could not relate to that situation?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT