ADVERTISEMENT

OFF-TOPIC post regarding my disdain for OT posts

purcupile

Senior
Oct 25, 2005
Peegs is running a business here...fortunately for all of us he does a very nice job with the information he continually provides us with regarding the Hoosiers...unfortunately he doesn't (in my opinion) do as good a job of of making sure his customers are happy with the way he runs his business.

For instance...if he ran a theater and certain group of his customers were always talking out and being disruptive to the rest of the paying customers, I am sure he would take steps to make sure that the disruptive customers were made aware of the fact that the theater was for everyone's enjoyment.

Another instance...ever been in church when the babies started crying...yeah, yeah I know that's what babies do...but many churches make available rooms for mothers to take the babies when they are crying until they quiet down...thus allowing the remaining congregation to hear and benefit from the Lord's message.

Another instance...the bar where the guys or gals who have had too much of the spirits, become loud, obnoxious and belligerent. The other customers would leave if the manager didn't take steps to either curtail the disruptive behavior or have the disrupters removed, so that the rest of his paying customers can continue to enjoy the "friendly" atmosphere which is conducive to repeat customer's enjoyment.

...the library is another place where you see the annoying noisemakers being curtailed.

But there are many businesses that also have to rein in some customers for the continued enjoyment of all.

My complaints in the past have not been about people looking for good restaurants in Bloomington. Nor about the Steelers, or the Pacers, or the Colts...or for that matter anything resembling a discussion about sports in general. Thus I posted about a series of TV ads I saw while watching the Hoosiers on the BTN...of course there were the expected hoots and derision about an OT post...but then there always have been the certain element who can't distinguish the difference between on-the-line and over-the-line...right G?

My complaints have been about ridiculiously OT posts like WATER HEATERS, CARS, FAVORITE MOVIES, WHERE TO CONNECT WITH WHORES IN FORT WAYNE, AND TV SHOWS THE KIDS ARE WATCHING as well as many other assorted totally non-related topics.

PEEGS has gone through the motions of correcting these abuses, he has made know where he considers the over-the-line starts...but as always there are those who have no respect for others "in the room" and even the person who "owns the room". They think his rules are for everyone else except them...they can care less if they are "disturbing the peace" so to speak. You see them everyday...they drive down the road with their big bass speakers going off so loud they...well I guess they just like to be annoying to everyone around.

As I said PEEGS has stated his interpretation of "the line", he has pointed out that there is an OFF TOPIC FORUM where the OT posts should properly go...but then there is always the guy holding up the John 3:13 whenever a field goal is being attempted or a freethrow is being shot...It's all about them and their message. I don't go to that guys church and hold up a GO BEARS sign.

I know I am not the only one who feels the OT posts are obnoxious and out-of-place...there have been a large number of not-as-vocal posters who have supported my position.

I know there will be those of you that say if I don't like OT posts what am I doing if not posting an OT post...well that's a good question. The answer to that is I won't post anymore if you don't...but if you do I will also. But the real question is: PEEGS, how much do you care about ALL your CUSTOMERS? Enough to sweep the trash to the proper forum? If your answer is yes...then I invite you to start with this one...don't remove it, but move it to the proper place you have already provided. I am sure everyone will appreciate it now and in the future. In other words run it like a business.

Ummm, all your analogies have to do with SOUND

My Peegs experience is actually pretty quiet. I don't actually hear ANYTHING when I look at the Peegs Premium Board -- no babies crying, no unrelated conversation, no drunks. Just blissful silence. Extra posts on a message board just are not the same as unwanted sounds. Not clicking on a post is pretty effective at ignoring it. It's hard to block out crying babies (believe me, I've tried with my own, they just get louder).

IMO, you overstate how many people don't like off topic posts. Maybe you've done some extensive market research or surveys of Peegs subscribers, but I'm guessing not. I'm guessing you don't like it, you've noticed other posts that don't like it, and assumed that represents a groundswell.

I like OT posts, especially on slow days or when there's just not much to say about the program.

You don't, that's fine. But I think it's disengenous to suggest that there is a critical mass of subscribers that agree with you.

I rarely reply to posts like this because I don't want to give them

credit for deserving an answer. Your ideas would go well in Russia. Why do you mention, ."but then there is always the guy holding up the John 3:13 whenever a field goal is being attempted or a freethrow is being shot...It's all about them and their message. I don't go to that guys church and hold up a GO BEARS sign." I notice you didn't say anything about all the beer messages. I take exception with your examples.

Next time just skip the OT posts and no one will feel offended by your lack of support.

which posts today are you upset about?

just perusing the board right now I don't see things that are a problem. Stuff on EJ, Calhoun's salary, bracketology, all that is not OT to me.

I am probably more lenient this year because Indiana is 6-20 and has one Big Ten victory. At the same time I won't agree with those that will probably come on in this thread and post that you don't need to read the posts that are OT because I do want the board to be easy to read and not a chore to find relevant posts of interest to fans.

Thanks for the input because we need it to figure out where to draw the line here.

The only OT thread I see on page 1 of this board is yours.

I know the Eric Gordon post has an OT in the title, but EJ really isn't that off topic. Is this really that big of a deal?
This post was edited on 2/23 4:06 PM by RBB89

I really wouldn't object if that is where you want to draw the line, but

we would all miss out on a lot of interesting banter about other IU topics.

I thought the '75 team was better: Steve Green.

Bellamy is under-rated in IU memories. Burke Scott was a wonderful player.

And, Bootsie White. But, we have our doubts about Finkelmeier: little good has happened since his recruitment.

Water Heaters? Get'em big.

Cars? Go Jap. Good stuff. Sorry, Detroit and Anderson.

Favorite Movies? McCabe and Mrs Miller; Booty Call; Life is a Bitch.

Whores in Fort Wayne? Hmm. Probably still at the truck stops at 30 and the bypass, but who would know.

Tv Show for Kids? Ohhhhh. Teletubbies. May not have graduated from college if that was on back in the day.

Grazie.Grazie.Grazie.

Remember Sammy Terry?

oops. forgot the picture. gotta go black white.

images

This post was edited on 2/23 4:10 PM by dlh,

Sammy Terry

It's either OT or not....no gray area...

But I love that it's ok to post an OT post (a very long and rediculous one at that) to complain about OT posts...

You choose, either OT is ok or not. Besides the Butler/Hayward post, what has been so offensive to you?

Perhaps you do a lousy job of filtering what subjects interest you.

I've never seen posts regarding water heaters or whores in Fort Wayne. As far as cars, movies, and TV shows, I don't see how they are more or less relevant than the Pacers or Colts discussions. His job isn't to cater about each poster's specific needs because if they were, he'd upset me by you not being blacklisted. After all, a pet peeve of mine is someone complaining about OT posts NOT ON THE OT FORUM.

Not only have acted as a hypocrite, but you're likely posted the longest OT post of the day not on the OT forum.

Additionally, comparing this to someone rolling down the street with their radio bumping is ridiculous. I can't help but hear a strong bass rolling down City Center Drive, but I don't have to click on a link for your posts in the future.

You keep better track of them than me. I don't know what the

Butler/Hayward post is.

I acknowledge a grey area that I don't post about...but if you prefer strict adherence...that's ok

There wasn't a thread started at 7:25 on 2/22

There was a thread discussing Big Ten teams in the tournament at 7:29...But that is 3....I repeat, 3 pages back...

Here's an idea you might try

when someone starts a post with the words "OT", simply don't read it and skip over it for the next topic.

There, wouldn't that have been a much simplier solution than trying to ramble on with your opinion? It's almost like you were trying to convince yourself that your idea was good (which it wasn't).

super-retard.JPG

OK everyone, here is the ONLY post which fits his time description...

It was in response to a 5:01pm post which said the following:

I've seen this or any other year. They just helped get a shot clock violation called on Wisky. The WI guard was at the top of the key trying to find an opening to either pass or shoot, and the students started chanting 5-4-3-2-1 a good two seconds after the correct time. So when they shouted "3", it was actually at 1. Brilliant, because most fans start the count 3 or more seconds before the actual time.
Another example is the use of the arm wave during a Wisky free throw. The band and the students behind the basket have their arms angled to one side of the basket (unified, not willy nilly), and right before the shooter shoots, they all move their arms to the other side. I saw an article in the Indy Star last week that said doing that is the most effective tactic to use against a free throw shooter, as a study showed that 60-65 percent of the time a shooter (if he misses) will miss on the side the fans moved their arms to.
One last thing, you don't see any of them dressed as bananas or gorillas just go get on TV. C'mon, really, do you have to do that? Paint your face or body crimson, wear a hoop hat or some crazy outfit made of red & white stripes, but the costumes look stupid and idiotic. Sorry for the last rant, but I had to.
This post was edited on 2/23 4:20 PM by Bloom.

TRULY offensive...

Maybe you should ban all people who post off topic

posts b*tching about off topic posts. Just a suggestion

Seyton has been here longer than I have

and I have been here a LONG time. He was posting something that many on this board appreciate, incorporating his son who he has talked about on the board, and ovaltine's mastery of all ale-related sciences. Those are things that people who have been here for a while know and appreciate. It CLEARLY stated OT and it took up a tiny amount of space on the board. The fact that you wrote an essay about the typed of OT posts acceptable to you makes me laugh.

Oh and by the way Peegs runs a hell of a business here. He provides a service with his coverage of IU and this board for us to communicate. If the people that have been here for years want to talk about something with their other "friends" on the board, I certainly have no problem with that and cannot see why anyone would.

Seriously?? LOL

Wow...I suggest Purcupile not click on OT labeled posts anymore, OR the responses to them. How many posts in that topic did he have to click on and read before he figured out he didn't like it?
smilie1.gif

OT: I'm in Fort Wayne. I need help!

I'm a Whore.

Where do I connect with Peegs posters?
This post was edited on 2/23 4:31 PM by RumblinBumblinStumblin

Seyton should get a 2-week vacation. He's trouble...

Ya got trouble, my friend, right here, I say, trouble right here on Peegs' Forum! Trouble with a capital "T". And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for Peegs!

There is so much wrong with Purcupile's complaint...

1) There is certainly nothing wrong with the first post in the topic, nothing objectionable at least.

2) Though I don't think it's necessary, board decorum requests that OT posts be so noted. It was.

3) Not only did Purcupile respond to the original post, he responded twice in that thread.

4) Furthermore, he responded AGAIN the next day, which meant he went back to the topic about which he objected in the first place.

5) He then posted his own OT post about said post so far after the original objection, it's not even on the same page, and I'm on the 250 posts per page option.

6) In his complaint he compares the action of clicking on a link, reading a post and responding, as well as posting a whole new thread for discussion, to a car rolling down the road with its radio too loud. (Makes me wonder if he has ear plugs next to his desk.)

As long as it is preceeded with an OT, I don't have a problem

If it is clearly marked, I can skip it if I don't want to read about the guys kids watching "Land of Time" or "Cars". In reality, not a deal breaker.

Re: OT: I'm in Fort Wayne. I need help!

Wish I could help you but I'm more worried that I won't know what Ale to buy if no O/T comments are allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT