ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the Super Bowl is over... I'm going to revisit young Mr. Newton

Ghostridah

Senior
Sep 30, 2006
Last week I noticed that after the game, Cam Newton ran around the stadium slapping hands with the fans.
Except he really wasn't. He appeared to miss every extended hand. I wondered here in print if it was fake, contrived and lacking in sincerity.

A handful of folks came out of the woodwork to take rather personal shots at me. Apparently I was a combination of Walt Kowalski from Gran Torino, the Grinch, and Ebinizer Scrooge.

My mistake was to place my personal value system on a scenario. Being someone who values humility and class I prefer someone doing their good works in life without public proclamation and attention. Behind the scenes. That way, it's about the work itself and not about "hey look how great I am and what I'm doing." That is, pass out cookies at the children's ward without your publicist in tow. Feed the hungry out of site of your personal photographer. And respect the game and your opponent by not showing them up. Carry yourself with class. I appreciate that Cam does things for kids and the community. But is it about the works or about a carefully constructed public image? IS IT REAL OR A PHONY ACT? I wondered.

Well.... A few days have passed and a football game has been played. Mr Newton, the reigning NFL MVP got his head handed to him by the Broncos. Cam, who proclaimed all season that "if you don't like my dancing and antics, STOP ME!!!". Well, the Broncos, in a fabulous defensive effort, not only shut him down. They apparently injured his wind pipe too. With the game on the line and his own fumble lying at his feet, Cam looked down at the melee, weighed his options, and........... shrank from the spotlight. After the game, the man who'd still be in front of the microphone had they won, dodged questions, pouted like a child, and eventually left the press conference early.

It has been pointed out that Cam is only 26. But a scant year ago, 26 yr old Russell Wilson threw an interception on the goal line to lose the same game. And at the post game, Wilson sat patiently LIKE A MAN and didn't shirk from the moment. He didn't fault the call. He didn't shirk blame. He patiently answered every inane question; gave respect and props to the defender who made the play and to the team that had just beaten him, and took responsibility LIKE A MAN. He got his butt beat and stood up like a pro. So I have even more respect for Russell Wilson than I did before. Cam Newton? Not so much. The NFL needs more Russell Wilson's.
Somewhere Walt Kowalski is nodding his head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News