ADVERTISEMENT

Now that BB season is over …

I agree. Unfortunately, when he was in, the pocket collapsed in about 0.7 seconds. He didn’t have the opportunity to show any presence, and made quick throws like the football was a hot potato. When given time with wide open routes, even Baz airmailed the receivers. I worried that Sorsby’s psyche might have been crushed. By all accounts it sounds like that didn’t happen. Bostad should be his best friend by coaching up a strong line that can release a tight end or back as an outlet and not have to stay in and block. That goes for any of our potential QB’s. Let’s hope the deer in the headlight era is over.
I would point out it probably due to no Spring practice but even without Spring practice Williams looked like he belonged and made things happen. Now we have three QBs that appear to be very talented.

Last edited:
I saw where Steve Wilford was dissing IU about missing out on Cathedrals QB when he committed to Colorado. I wish the player a good career at Colorado but we have seen plenty of Indiana QBs not live up to their rankings. I hope IU's QB this year shows he is very good and leads IU to more wins whichever QB wins the job. If that turns out to be a more experienced QB that is older so be it, but last season really turned me off of more than one transfer QB.
Verbals are not worth the paper they aren't written on.

I would point out it probably due to no Spring practice but even without Spring practice Williams looked like he belonged and made things happen. Now we have three QBs that appear to be very talented.
None of which matters if we cannot protect them. OL development will be the key.

I am sure staff will reach out to any potential upgrade in the QB room but anyone saying there is a “search” going on needs to learn how the portal works.

None of which matters if we cannot protect them. OL development will be the key.

I am sure staff will reach out to any potential upgrade in the QB room but anyone saying there is a “search” going on needs to learn how the portal works.
I would change your phrase to how the "portal is supposed to work". The whole thing is so poorly designed that there are enough loopholes to drive a truck through.

Does anybody think that Pack got $800,000 without the Miami coaching staff telling Ruiz that he's the guy that they want? Does anybody think that Ruiz did not approach the Miami staff to say how would you want me to allocate my NIL money if I had a budget of a million dollars? And then of course the other big question for the coaching staffs from the NIL this is "what's in it for me?"

Does anybody think that Pack had any interest in Miami before learning about the $800,000 incentive? I don't know if players can have agents for NIL deals? I'm sure there's a little underground industry of agents whispering with coaching staffs.

It's just a matter of time before there are agent days just like they are pro days where prospective agents will sell their ability to get nail contracts for the few student athletes. Actually there probably is no restriction on how many NIL agents of player can have. This is awfully depressing.

The harsh reality is all of our scholarship QBs on the roster have 4 years of eligibility left to play. We need to find someone with a year or two left because our logjam will probably break up by the end of next season at the latest.
I don't know that we need someone except as a back up at QB. Pulling a starter from the portal will disappoint a couple of QBs which could be the portal QB. Also Lowry could have 5 years left.

I don't know that we need someone except as a back up at QB. Pulling a starter from the portal will disappoint a couple of QBs which could be the portal QB. Also Lowry could have 5 years left.
The new slippery slope. Do you recruit to develop? Kids are ready to play in their minds. I hope we have a developmental psychologist on staff. The redshirt years seem over. Am I wrong?

I would change your phrase to how the "portal is supposed to work". The whole thing is so poorly designed that there are enough loopholes to drive a truck through.

Does anybody think that Pack got $800,000 without the Miami coaching staff telling Ruiz that he's the guy that they want? Does anybody think that Ruiz did not approach the Miami staff to say how would you want me to allocate my NIL money if I had a budget of a million dollars? And then of course the other big question for the coaching staffs from the NIL this is "what's in it for me?"

Does anybody think that Pack had any interest in Miami before learning about the $800,000 incentive? I don't know if players can have agents for NIL deals? I'm sure there's a little underground industry of agents whispering with coaching staffs.

It's just a matter of time before there are agent days just like they are pro days where prospective agents will sell their ability to get nail contracts for the few student athletes. Actually there probably is no restriction on how many NIL agents of player can have. This is awfully depressing.
What you're describing has been going on for years... It's just somewhat out in the open now... Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen but it does level the playing field slightly when recruiting against the former unrepentant hard core cheaters...

The harsh reality is all of our scholarship QBs on the roster have 4 years of eligibility left to play. We need to find someone with a year or two left because our logjam will probably break up by the end of next season at the latest.
It's my impression that we're still after the guy from Oregon State but I could be wrong... He has to complete his quarters to match up with our semesters... I could be way off on that though... At any rate CTA has made it clear we're going after at least one more in the Portal.

All of our current QB's are fully aware of the fact that we plan to bring one more guy in to compete with during summer workouts and Fall Camp... It's not like that's going to be a horribly unfair surprise to any of them... They'll all have the edge on the incoming guy just by virtue of having completed Spring Practice, if they don't avail themselves fully of what those practices offer them is completely on them if they fall behind...

No one on our current roster has ever won a college football game, in fact..., I don't think any of them has played more than a quarter of of one... To not bring in more competition to strengthen that room would be coaching malpractice, in my opinion...

(Don't mean to seem to be going after you ES86 I just picked your post to make my general response/ thought on the topic to)

Here's a somewhat interesting article about the Portal with the next date range mentioned:

With only 15 days to work (May 1st thru 15th) with that's going to be quite the mad scramble of musical chairs for everyone to find their man and for the players to find a spot...

It's my impression that we're still after the guy from Oregon State but I could be wrong... He has to complete his quarters to match up with our semesters... I could be way off on that though... At any rate CTA has made it clear we're going after at least one more in the Portal.

All of our current QB's are fully aware of the fact that we plan to bring one more guy in to compete with during summer workouts and Fall Camp... It's not like that's going to be a horribly unfair surprise to any of them... They'll all have the edge on the incoming guy just by virtue of having completed Spring Practice, if they don't avail themselves fully of what those practices offer them is completely on them if they fall behind...

No one on our current roster has ever won a college football game, in fact..., I don't think any of them has played more than a quarter of of one... To not bring in more competition to strengthen that room would be coaching malpractice, in my opinion...

(Don't mean to seem to be going after you ES86 I just picked your post to make my general response/ thought on the topic to)
It’s fair to say that door is still open, but both sides are keeping all of their options open. Obviously, the search for another quarterback is ongoing, but I know they like that kid a great deal and think he could help the team. Will be interesting to see what other names surface following Spring football. I know they have a list of kids whom they think could end up in the portal, and they’re ready to make contact if and when one of them submits his name.

Reactions: DThompson

No worries, 76. If you attacked me I wasn't smart enough to see it. 😁 You're right. Spring practice gives all three of them an edge over a late transfer. I don't think you bring in a starter in June; but, I do think we need one more scholarship QB.

Vesuvius, you're right that Lowry has five years allowable at IU but he can only play (full time) in four of those years. He is the one in the QB room who intrigues me the most. Any player who can lead his team in yards passing, rushing, and receiving IN THE SAME GAME; let alone a championship game, has my full attention. I do not want to lose him!

It’s fair to say that door is still open, but both sides are keeping all of their options open. Obviously, the search for another quarterback is ongoing, but I know they like that kid a great deal and think he could help the team. Will be interesting to see what other names surface following Spring football. I know they have a list of kids whom they think could end up in the portal, and they’re ready to make contact if and when one of them submits his name.
my main concern with portal qbs, is are we guaranteeing them the job to get them here? because i think we may have done that with bazelak and that didn't turn on so well. if we're guaranteeing them a chance to compete for the job that's fine. and btw, we already have one portal qb. his name is jackson.

my main concern with portal qbs, is are we guaranteeing them the job to get them here? because i think we may have done that with bazelak and that didn't turn on so well. if we're guaranteeing them a chance to compete for the job that's fine. and btw, we already have one portal qb. his name is jackson.
Agree wholeheartedly, though I was told we did not guarantee anything to Bazelak. I was told that they weren’t so much surprised that he won the job as much as they were that Tuttle didn’t figure out a way to compete and win it. Don’t want to say anything derogatory here about JT, but he was an enigma to the coaches, a great guy but someone who just never could put it all together. His departure was also strange, especially after CB was clearly on his way out and DW got hurt. Just strange.

Last edited:
CB came here with the understanding that the job was his. Despite one here proclaiming that we would see both play extensively, that was never going to be the case.

It turned out as we all saw.

Indiana fans are watching the portal moves .And can't wait till early November...
Honestly it's going to be another 3 win season.....
By Halloween it'll be full on Tom's buyout..imo

Here's a somewhat interesting article about the Portal with the next date range mentioned:

With only 15 days to work (May 1st thru 15th) with that's going to be quite the mad scramble of musical chairs for everyone to find their man and for the players to find a spot...
Some interesting numbers from the article. 52 schools lost 10 or more!

• All told, 21 programs added 10 or more transfers, while 52 programs lost 10 or more players to the portal.
  • Teams that were hit the hardest by defections include Texas A&M and Arkansas (27), Ole Miss (25), Florida (23), Arizona (22), Oregon (21) and Arizona State (20).

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT