ADVERTISEMENT

Now that BB season is over …

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
There were press conferences yesterday after practice

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...n-intrigued-by-lanell-carr-and-tyrik-mcdaniel

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ensive-line-play-and-running-back-flexibility

Happy to see both the front 7 and OL news. Not sure what I liked better

1) OL responding to Borstad’s coaching
2) New DLs and LBs pushing incumbents to excel.
3) Replacing McCullough with a smart grad transfer who at 240 can play Mike … and has skills at edge.

If we still intend to play fast on offense, Wilt will need the depth to keep sending personnel in waves.

There were press conferences yesterday after practice

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...n-intrigued-by-lanell-carr-and-tyrik-mcdaniel

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ensive-line-play-and-running-back-flexibility

Happy to see both the front 7 and OL news. Not sure what I liked better

1) OL responding to Borstad’s coaching
2) New DLs and LBs pushing incumbents to excel.
3) Replacing McCullough with a smart grad transfer who at 240 can play Mike … and has skills at edge.

If we still intend to play fast on offense, Wilt will need the depth to keep sending personnel in waves.
We’re staying with the offense Bell brought in. Will be interesting to see what impact Bostad has up front on O, and what we can do at the LOS on D. Any improvement in the results has to start there.

The defensive line transfers that TA brought in certainly need to pay off. The Carter kid was a monster last year while playing in the MAC. That needs to materialize in the Big Ten ASAP. I also think the big Stanford transfer will have an impact on the defense.

There seems to be talent, the coaches need to make sure it is utilized properly. Allen needs a bowl season if you want my opinion.

The defensive line transfers that TA brought in certainly need to pay off. The Carter kid was a monster last year while playing in the MAC. That needs to materialize in the Big Ten ASAP. I also think the big Stanford transfer will have an impact on the defense.

There seems to be talent, the coaches need to make sure it is utilized properly. Allen needs a bowl season if you want my opinion.
He’s got two more seasons, at the least, regardless of the results.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Without any reason not to make a bowl game it is necessary to do it this year. The bad thing is the schedule is really tough this year but two years of not having a winning record is enough and IU needs to have another winning season. We will see how good our coaches are because there are players that are very good, they need to play at a high level for IU to win.

There is a lot of positive on the returning roster and the guys that came in have brought a blue collar mentality. No one is owed anything and if you want a snap...go win it. If you want a stop...go win it. I have no crystal ball, so I have no idea how this season will transpire. But I do know that these coaches and players are working incredibly hard right now to earn W's.

Notebooks are open and notes are being taken in team meetings, extra work getting done, guys holding each other to a standard...it's all getting so much better right now.

These young men have put a lot of work into their off season, and now spring. No one has won a game...but no one has lost either. Enjoy the process and get behind these coaches, players, and recruits to help expedite this recovery.

Trust me...I absolutely despise losing...much less, not even being competitive. But our family is not scared. This is opportunity to make a name. Look the freak out...because it's gonna happen.

Now I need some coffee :cool:

There is a lot of positive on the returning roster and the guys that came in have brought a blue collar mentality. No one is owed anything and if you want a snap...go win it. If you want a stop...go win it. I have no crystal ball, so I have no idea how this season will transpire. But I do know that these coaches and players are working incredibly hard right now to earn W's.

Notebooks are open and notes are being taken in team meetings, extra work getting done, guys holding each other to a standard...it's all getting so much better right now.

These young men have put a lot of work into their off season, and now spring. No one has won a game...but no one has lost either. Enjoy the process and get behind these coaches, players, and recruits to help expedite this recovery.

Trust me...I absolutely despise losing...much less, not even being competitive. But our family is not scared. This is opportunity to make a name. Look the freak out...because it's gonna happen.

Now I need some coffee :cool:
Enjoy your posts. Great to you have on board with the Hoosiers!

GO IU!

The big question. How's the QB battle going? I don't believe TJ will just be handed the job.
That’s a huge concern, given the lack of depth and experience, as well as questions about ability to play at this level and run a complex offense. It’s a lot for any kid to handle. Continue to hear that we’ll be in the post-Spring portal sweepstakes.

That’s a huge concern, given the lack of depth and experience, as well as questions about ability to play at this level and run a complex offense. It’s a lot for any kid to handle. Continue to hear that we’ll be in the post-Spring portal sweepstakes.
Hopefully they can find one with experience at in major conference school with one year of eligibility left.
That wouid give the others a year to figure things out but not scare them off knowing they will have their shot in a year.

Jackson and Sorsby are the horses from all reports coming out, so the staff seems to be giving it a honest eval.
I hope this year Sorby shows he is calm and can read the defense because he didn't show that last season. If he is, then IU has three QBs that are very good and I hope they push each other to get even better.

Jackson and Sorsby are the horses from all reports coming out, so the staff seems to be giving it a honest eval.
I was hoping Lowry would emerge but I suppose that's a lot to ask of a true Freshman...

This analysis had given me hope but perhaps his cousin was the author...:

Last edited:
I was hoping Lowry would emerge but I suppose that's a lot to ask of a true Freshman...

This analysis had given me hope but perhaps his cousin was author...:

I hope Lowry works hard this Spring and Summer pushing for getting time on field. We now have two championship QBs and it sounds like Sorby will be in the mix with his arm.

Hopefully they can find one with experience at in major conference school with one year of eligibility left.
That wouid give the others a year to figure things out but not scare them off knowing they will have their shot in a year.
Yes, given the current group, it’s essential we add someone with D1 experience at QB. Looks like the guys there now may have some talent, but the experience level is low and we need to bolster that if we’re to be good next Fall.

Yes, given the current group, it’s essential we add someone with D1 experience at QB. Looks like the guys there now may have some talent, but the experience level is low and we need to bolster that if we’re to be good next Fall.
Other teams show freshmen can come in and play QB well so why can't IU? If the talent is good enough, then IU won't need to bring in another QB. When you bring in more transfer QBs you don't know what you are really getting.

Other teams show freshmen can come in and play QB well so why can't IU? If the talent is good enough, then IU won't need to bring in another QB. When you bring in more transfer QBs you don't know what you are really getting.
Very few freshmen quarterbacks come in and play productively at any school. And that’s before any injuries occur. It’s not just about the level of talent we would have, it’s also about depth. We are thin here.

The other teams that bring in Freshmen to start are Ohio St,Alabama,etc.
There is a big difference between being the top rated QB in a class ( CJ Stroud) and a 4* who has thrown 6 passes in his college career (Jackson)
Just my opinion,I hope what we already have.works out.

I saw where Steve Wilford was dissing IU about missing out on Cathedrals QB when he committed to Colorado. I wish the player a good career at Colorado but we have seen plenty of Indiana QBs not live up to their rankings. I hope IU's QB this year shows he is very good and leads IU to more wins whichever QB wins the job. If that turns out to be a more experienced QB that is older so be it, but last season really turned me off of more than one transfer QB.

The other teams that bring in Freshmen to start are Ohio St,Alabama,etc.
There is a big difference between being the top rated QB in a class ( CJ Stroud) and a 4* who has thrown 6 passes in his college career (Jackson)
Just my opinion,I hope what we already have.works out.
If and when the staff comes across a portal athlete that is likely to help them win more and more quickly than the athletes they have now, they will likely reach out.

That is the situation.

I know someone who fits those qualities but something tells me he would have no interest.
It’s always been the plan of the staff to try and find someone in the portal. We’ll see if they get someone but the need has never been in doubt. Numbers alone, as several of us know, necessitate this way forward.

Very few freshmen quarterbacks come in and play productively at any school. And that’s before any injuries occur. It’s not just about the level of talent we would have, it’s also about depth. We are thin here.
It doesn’t appear that we will start a freshmen QB! Jackson & Sorsby are not freshmen. They have both had a year of college development

It doesn’t appear that we will start a freshmen QB! Jackson & Sorsby are not freshmen. They have both had a year of college development
Correct and The portal is a small place, there is no “search”.

As I said earlier; if and when a QB presents in the portal that staff believes could help the team win and win more quickly, they will reach out. Until , they have highpot QB choices on the roster.

This is pretty simple.

Good point, but neither have any appreciable on-field experience. Need to get older at that position, and we’ll be actively searching in the portal for that experienced qb who can help us. It’s been the plan for some time.

They’ve had plenty of practice holding a clipboard and a total of 6 pass attempts between them,yeah we good.
It’s about creating both depth and competition. We’ve had too many injuries at qb for anyone to be surprised that we’re searching for more depth there, and we’ve had too much uneven and unproductive play for anyone to not understand the obvious need. We also need to practice and prepare, and qb depth is essential for that. If you’ve ever been to practice or around the complex during the season, we need plenty of bodies at that spot. The future there has some real potential . . . We just need to bridge the gap from now until then.

It’s about creating both depth and competition. We’ve had too many injuries at qb for anyone to be surprised that we’re searching for more depth there, and we’ve had too much uneven and unproductive play for anyone to not understand the obvious need. We also need to practice and prepare, and qb depth is essential for that. If you’ve ever been to practice or around the complex during the season, we need plenty of bodies at that spot. The future there has some real potential . . . We just need to bridge the gap from now until then.
not interested in another bazelak. let's go with the young guns and let the chips fall where they may.

not interested in another bazelak. let's go with the young guns and let the chips fall where they may.
Right now, we need guys to both practice / prepare and to sustain us at a certain level should the injury bug hit yet again. We’ve been too thin at qb for too long and it’s really hurt us. We need at least one more guy, which is why the staff wants to grab someone else via the portal before next season.

Let's not forget that Bazelac was co-freshmen of the year in the SEC. He joined a growing list of Indiana quarterbacks who did not develop and underperformed. At least while at Indiana. What a coincidence.

Let's not forget that Bazelac was co-freshmen of the year in the SEC. He joined a growing list of Indiana quarterbacks who did not develop and underperformed. At least while at Indiana. What a coincidence.
He went South quickly at Mizzou. Tiger fans had the same concerns IU fans did. Inaccurate, immobile and weak arm.

IU seems to be in good hands at QB based on comments about them. Two of them experienced winning State Championships with Jackson and Sorsby having one year of development in college. Writers claim Sorsby has a cannon of an arm and I hope they are right. It is also reported Jackson and a very good arm so I think IU will run with that and I hope they can pull in another QB for depth.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
He was ill-suited for Bell’s offense, however. We knew we needed someone on the roster with P5 starting experience, and CB was that guy. It was especially important because they knew JTs limitations and there wasn’t anyone else on the roster with any relevant game experience. Concerned that we have yet to learn our lesson here.

Reactions: red hornet
It is amazing how much a QB can develop behind a really good
OL.

I hope this year Sorby shows he is calm and can read the defense because he didn't show that last season. If he is, then IU has three QBs that are very good and I hope they push each other to get even better.
I agree. Unfortunately, when he was in, the pocket collapsed in about 0.7 seconds. He didn’t have the opportunity to show any presence, and made quick throws like the football was a hot potato. When given time with wide open routes, even Baz airmailed the receivers. I worried that Sorsby’s psyche might have been crushed. By all accounts it sounds like that didn’t happen. Bostad should be his best friend by coaching up a strong line that can release a tight end or back as an outlet and not have to stay in and block. That goes for any of our potential QB’s. Let’s hope the deer in the headlight era is over.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT