ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame

My wife learned last night that the 82 year old mom of her childhood best friend beat it.

My daughter works in a nursing home/long term care/rehab facility. They have residents and patients who tested positive for the first time weeks ago and even again this past week. Winning.

I’d bet your folks beat it too. The odds are strongly in their favor.

I'm not worried about my step dad. It's my mom that has me worried.

She wasn't doing the best to begin with before this and has several underlying issues. She said today feels worse than yesterday, so we'll just take it one day at a time.

My sister has been through this already, so she knows what to look for. Nothing we can do but wait it out right now.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The problem with that is, there's really nothing that can be done for people, so why hospitalize people when they are showing symptoms? Basically, they can do pain management and what? They'd just be taking up a bed and putting the hospital staff more at risk.

I say this with both my mom and step dad not able to do much right now but lie in their sofas and try to get whatever relief they can find. My mom was just tested yesterday, but we'll be shocked if she doesn't have it.
If it's true there's nothing they can do about it, why are people in the ICU now that aren't on ventilators?

I don't know about you, but if I have Covid-19 with symptoms, I'd rather me or my loved ones be in the hospital.

I'm not talking about putting everyone with symptoms in the hospital. But if there is a comorbidity or in a high risk group, I think it's reasonable to put them in the hospital. There's excess capacity and hospitals are closing all over.

Best wishes for your mom. If she has it, I pray she beats it.

If it's true there's nothing they can do about it, why are people in the ICU now that aren't on ventilators?

I don't know about you, but if I have Covid-19 with symptoms, I'd rather me or my loved ones be in the hospital.

I'm not talking about putting everyone with symptoms in the hospital. But if there is a comorbidity or in a high risk group, I think it's reasonable to put them in the hospital. There's excess capacity and hospitals are closing all over.

Best wishes for your mom. If she has it, I pray she beats it.

If you put everyone with symptoms in the hospital, the hospitals wouldn't be able to handle it. They are there, when not on a ventilator, to do pain management and comfort.

My stepdad had been running a fever for about three days, it broke for a day and a half and then has had it for the last two days. He's also having the cough and fatigue. There's literally nothing that the hospital could do that he wouldn't be doing at home.

My mom's fever is going on day two now.

My sister said that if they start to feel like they are struggling breathing and just can't move around, that's when it's time to go in. But until then, they need to just stay home.

If you put everyone with symptoms in the hospital, the hospitals wouldn't be able to handle it. They are there, when not on a ventilator, to do pain management and comfort.

My stepdad had been running a fever for about three days, it broke for a day and a half and then has had it for the last two days. He's also having the cough and fatigue. There's literally nothing that the hospital could do that he wouldn't be doing at home.

My sister said that if they start to feel like they are struggling breathing and just can't move around, that's when it's time to go in. But until then, they need to just stay home.

If you can get hold of one of those small fingertip blood gas & pulse readers it could make all the difference.

They are called Pulse Oximeters. You can find them on Amazon...

What you're looking for is a drop of twenty points or more in the blood gas read out. If you see that, get them to the ICU and on Oxygen pronto.

I'll say a prayer for you and your family...(I'm fairly certain the Lord knows who we are)...

Walmart sells Pulse Oximeters too. They might be your best bet to get one quickly...

CDC issues new Covid death rate (for people with symptoms) — Just 0.05% for patients under 50

Folks need to relax. I highly encourage you to read this article from CNN.

And it gets even better, when you add in the 35% asymptomatic cases, the death rate for people under 50 is approaching .01%.

College kids will be absolutely safe on campus.

Sheesh, the pearl clutching in this thread.

Are all the posters here suddenly taking estrogen?

I'm 54. And I survived Covid.

It was a 3-4 day mini-flu.

The speculation in this thread is about the likelihood and issues associated with open campuses and athletics. My point is that this pandemic started to take off in the US three months ago and classes and football are still another three months away. There are still more question than answers and CDC perspective is continuing to evolve.

Glad you weathered it very well. I mentioned 50 year old Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing testing positive. FWIW he is in the hospital today.

The only thing I am certain of is more surprises. And I have no ideas if they will be net positive or negative.

If you can get hold of one of those small fingertip blood gas & pulse readers it could make all the difference.

They are called Pulse Oximeters. You can find them on Amazon...

What you're looking for is a drop of twenty points or more in the blood gas read out. If you see that, get them to the ICU and on Oxygen pronto.

I'll say a prayer for you and your family...(I'm fairly certain the Lord knows who we are)...
It took me 4 weeks to get mine on amazon. Masks are also about a month.

Baller23 I read/saw this awhile back and while it's anecdotal, if things get rough it might be worth a try...

Link: https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-vo...ents-can-be-difference-between-life-and-death

*If you are waiting to get them on forced O's...

I hope your mom gets through this fine. Despite wearing a mask, my wife came in contact with a fellow employee that tested positive and she got a fever and headache several days later. My wife got tested and she didn't have COVID19 but did have a virus that took a week to get over.

It sounds like your dad is weathering the storm and I hope your mom does too.

I hope your mom gets through this fine. Despite wearing a mask, my wife came in contact with a fellow employee that tested positive and she got a fever and headache several days later. My wife got tested and she didn't have COVID19 but did have a virus that took a week to get over.

It sounds like your dad is weathering the storm and I hope your mom does too.

Thanks for the kind words.

My step dad actually hadn't been doing to well. He sounds spiked a fever of 103 last night and has been running a little over 101 all day my mom said.

This stuff is nasty.

Thanks for the kind words.

My step dad actually hadn't been doing to well. He sounds spiked a fever of 103 last night and has been running a little over 101 all day my mom said.

This stuff is nasty.

Keep em hydrated.

Pedialyte powder mixed with water is best. 50/50 Gatorade and water is a close 2nd... Walmart has both (you can order the Pedialyte and get it practically overnight)...

Prayers..., and Thanks for looking out for my family.

They are there for your parents though. Don't wait too long to take them in.

Keep em hydrated.

Pedialyte powder mixed with water is best. 50/50 Gatorade and water is a close 2nd... Walmart has both (you can order the Pedialyte and get it practically overnight)...

Prayers..., and Thanks for looking out for my family.

They are there for your parents though. Don't wait too long to take them in.

Thank you.

You know, the biggest thing they've complained about is everything tastes like salt. Doesn't matter what it is, it tastes like salt.

They say it's the weirdest thing.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Thank you.

You know, the biggest thing they've complained about is everything tastes like salt. Doesn't matter what it is, it tastes like salt.

They say it's the weirdest thing.

That is strange. Guess it goes along with the loss of smell and taste...

Here's one more tip but with a huge caveat in that it is probably is too late in the game to matter much... Supposedly vitamin D and in particular a Zinc supplement helps prevent getting it (but that bit of info is completely anecdotal).

At this point Its probably best to check with their doctor before giving it to them...

I don't know if it actually helps "fight" it or not...

Also this is old news but use Tylenol for pain not aspirin or the other alternative(s)...

Last edited:
Despite wearing a mask, my wife came in contact with a fellow employee that tested positive and she got a fever and headache several days later. My wife got tested and she didn't have COVID19 but did have a virus that took a week to get over.
This bears repeating: Masks protect other people from you. They don't protect you from other people.

This bears repeating: Masks protect other people from you. They don't protect you from other people.
I don't think it will protect others either because a virus is too small for most mask to stop the virus. Most people think stopping bubbles [from sneezes] with the virus and it won't go out of the mask but it will go past it. Unless you are sick there isn't a reason to wear the mask but if you are wear one.

Reactions: DANC
I don't think it will protect others either because a virus is too small for most mask to stop the virus. Most people think stopping bubbles [from sneezes] with the virus and it won't go out of the mask but it will go past it. Unless you are sick there isn't a reason to wear the mask but if you are wear one.
You're simply wrong. The mask doesn't stop the virus, it stops the droplets that carry the virus. If masks were worn universally, the distancing and hygiene factors would be minor concerns and transmission would be greatly reduced. There is no excuse for not wearing masks when indoors or around people for any length of time.

I hear that a lot and it doesn't make much sense to me. How can it stop the virus from going out, but not coming in?

Do you you have any studies that back up what you're saying? I'm not asking that in a snarky way - I truly want to know.

I hear that a lot and it doesn't make much sense to me. How can it stop the virus from going out, but not coming in?

Do you you have any studies that back up what you're saying? I'm not asking that in a snarky way - I truly want to know.
CDC from the Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

The CDC updated its guidance to recommend widespread use of simple cloth face coverings to help prevent transmission of COVID-19 by people who have the virus but don't know it.
The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/dont-wear-mask-yourself/610336/

The good news is that preventing transmission to others through egress is relatively easy. It’s like stopping gushing water from a hose right at the source, by turning off the faucet, compared with the difficulty of trying to catch all the drops of water after we’ve pointed the hose up and they’ve flown everywhere. Research shows that even a cotton mask dramatically reduces the number of virus particles emitted from our mouths—by as much as 99 percent. This reduction provides two huge benefits. Fewer virus particles mean that people have a better chance of avoiding infection, and if they are infected, the lower viral-exposure load may give them a better chance of contracting only a mild illness.
And another:

https://patient.info/news-and-features/covid-19-do-you-need-to-wear-a-mask-to-avoid-coronavirus

Self-protection
For most of the general public, wearing a face mask offers very little protection from coronavirus even if supplies of surgical (rather than FFP3) masks were available.
[...]
Protecting others
The main reason for members of the public wearing masks, particularly non-surgical masks, would be to reduce the risk of passing coronavirus to someone else. That's why the German government and the CDC are telling people to use masks when they go out, as people who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic might not realise they are infected and spreading the virus.
This was my Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+masks+protect+others

I tried to link the most recent entries, but there's plenty more there.

CDC from the Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

The CDC updated its guidance to recommend widespread use of simple cloth face coverings to help prevent transmission of COVID-19 by people who have the virus but don't know it.
The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/dont-wear-mask-yourself/610336/

The good news is that preventing transmission to others through egress is relatively easy. It’s like stopping gushing water from a hose right at the source, by turning off the faucet, compared with the difficulty of trying to catch all the drops of water after we’ve pointed the hose up and they’ve flown everywhere. Research shows that even a cotton mask dramatically reduces the number of virus particles emitted from our mouths—by as much as 99 percent. This reduction provides two huge benefits. Fewer virus particles mean that people have a better chance of avoiding infection, and if they are infected, the lower viral-exposure load may give them a better chance of contracting only a mild illness.
And another:

https://patient.info/news-and-features/covid-19-do-you-need-to-wear-a-mask-to-avoid-coronavirus

Self-protection
For most of the general public, wearing a face mask offers very little protection from coronavirus even if supplies of surgical (rather than FFP3) masks were available.
[...]
Protecting others
The main reason for members of the public wearing masks, particularly non-surgical masks, would be to reduce the risk of passing coronavirus to someone else. That's why the German government and the CDC are telling people to use masks when they go out, as people who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic might not realise they are infected and spreading the virus.
s.​
This was my Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+masks+protect+others

I tried to link the most recent entries, but there's plenty more there.
Thanks. I get that a lot of reputable organizations recommend wearing a mask to prevent the spread of the virus.

But I asked "How can it stop the virus from going out, but not coming in?"

I didn't see anything in your links that explained that. In fact, I didn't see any scientific studies that cloth masks stop the virus from spreading.

What I'm interested in are scientific studies - not recommendations from the CDC. They have been embarrassingly wrong throughout this entire fiasco.

Thanks. I get that a lot of reputable organizations recommend wearing a mask to prevent the spread of the virus.

But I asked "How can it stop the virus from going out, but not coming in?"

I didn't see anything in your links that explained that. In fact, I didn't see any scientific studies that cloth masks stop the virus from spreading.

What I'm interested in are scientific studies - not recommendations from the CDC. They have been embarrassingly wrong throughout this entire fiasco.
Read the Atlantic article. It explains it well.

Now if you want me to supply the full peer reviewed studies, I can't help you. I'm no scientist, just a well read working man who has been involved in the Covid response in my workplace. Truth be told, it's mostly common sense.

Edit to add: There are links to studies embedded in the Atlantic article.

Last edited:
Read the Atlantic article. It explains it well.

Now if you want me to supply the full peer reviewed studies, I can't help you. I'm no scientist, just a well read working man who has been involved in the Covid response in my workplace. Truth be told, it's mostly common sense.

Edit to add: There are links to studies embedded in the Atlantic article.
I downloaded the PDF version of the study in The Atlantic (which, by the wasy, is an extremely partisan publication).

Here is an interesting paragraph copies from that study (my emphasis is in bold):

"The most relevant paper (30), with important implications for public mask wearing during the COVID-19 outbreak, is one that compares the efficacy of surgical masks for source control for seasonal coronavirus, influenza, and rhinovirus. With ten participants, the masks were effective at blocking coronavirus droplets of all sizes for every subject. However, masks were far less effective at blocking rhinovirus droplets of any size, or of blocking small influenza droplets. The results suggest that masks may have a significant role in source control for the current coronavirus outbreak. The study did not use COVID-19 patients, and it is not yet known whether seasonal coronavirus behaves the same as SARS-CoV-2; however, they are of the same genus, so similar behavior is likely."

I guess one can draw whatever conclusion one wants from that.

At the beginning the WHO said to wear masks but as late as early May even Dr Fauci was throwing cold water on wearing mass. So once again we were late into aggressive social distancing. Perhaps it was because, ASAP a country, we were caught with our pants down regarding PPE.

The advice from the CDC has not been consistent and at time politicians are outright undermining the CDC’s advice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT