ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
I just read an article that they are starting classes on Aug 11 on campus which is 2 weeks early.
Not taking a fall break and ending the semester before Thanksgiving.
It should be no secret that they are doing this so they can play football.
I can see the team reporting the first of August which would give them 4 weeks of practice before the first game.
Most of the so called experts are saying teams need 4-6 weeks to prepare for the first game.
I can see others following this timeline,I guess we will find out soon,we are closing in on June.

I just read an article that they are starting classes on Aug 11 on campus which is 2 weeks early.
Not taking a fall break and ending the semester before Thanksgiving.
It should be no secret that they are doing this so they can play football.
I can see the team reporting the first of August which would give them 4 weeks of practice before the first game.
Most of the so called experts are saying teams need 4-6 weeks to prepare for the first game.
I can see others following this timeline,I guess we will find out soon,we are closing in on June.
I just read earlier that the NCAA is expected to to lift the ban to allow athletes back on June 1st. Notre Dame is doing anything crazy. Purdue announced a month ago they are doing something similar and a lot of schools have followed suit with Purdue and the guidelines mentioned above. They know how important football is to the universities.

I certainly did not see this coming. I was listening to interview with Cal State University system chancellor. They announced a few days ago that they were going on-line for everything but some classes with labs. He indicated that the University of Cal system was likely to announce the same in a couple of weeks. I wonder how many students will take a leave of absence. Same with professors.

I don't think this has (much of) anything to do with football. I think they're trying to get everybody out of there before "the darkest winter in modern history."

Reactions: DGJRieman
I don't think this has (much of) anything to do with football. I think they're trying to get everybody out of there before "the darkest winter in modern history."
Possibly but just like the SEC schools,football is a major part of ND and if they can possibly play they will play.
The only way they can do that is to have students on campus.

It's all about the money...
I agree with you, and it's out of a respect for the reality of running an athletic program more than the idea that athletic programs and what they provide to student/athletes and fans should exist on thin air.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My daughter goes to Valpo. We just got an email today about fall semester. Starting Aug. 17, ending Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. No breaks during the semester to minimize the number of times students travel back and forth from home to campus. My guess this is going to be the typical calendar for a lot of universities this year.

No mention of sports or other activities limitations.

But.....if they're that concerned about the darkest winter in history, why not just cancel on campus activities for the fall? Plus, if they expect that dark winter, wouldn't that mean no spring semester, theoretically? Why try to make it on campus for the fall if you don't expect to be there in spring? Seems to me like it would make more sense to just do it all online for the year. I think it's entirely about football, because football is all about $. Especially at Notre Lame with their NBC contract.

But.....if they're that concerned about the darkest winter in history, why not just cancel on campus activities for the fall? Plus, if they expect that dark winter, wouldn't that mean no spring semester, theoretically? Why try to make it on campus for the fall if you don't expect to be there in spring? Seems to me like it would make more sense to just do it all online for the year. I think it's entirely about football, because football is all about $. Especially at Notre Lame with their NBC contract.
It’s all about the money.and football.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Universities are facing up to a 20% enrollment drop if they don't open up campuses. Students realize that online education is nowhere near as valuable and are making other plans this year. There are tons of articles about this. The loss of international students alone would be a big blow. Again, football and athletics are very important, but there are some colleges and universities that are in real danger of permanently closing over this.

Reactions: DANC
Universities are facing up to a 20% enrollment drop if they don't open up campuses. Students realize that online education is nowhere near as valuable and are making other plans this year. There are tons of articles about this. The loss of international students alone would be a big blow. Again, football and athletics are very important, but there are some colleges and universities that are in real danger of permanently closing over this.
I know that's true, but if safety is more important than $, then that goes for enrollment proceeds as well as those derived form athletics. If you can have students on campus until Thanksgiving...ish, then why can't you play football?

Why would schools lose international students? They would save the same room and board and travel for them would be more.

Why would schools lose international students? They would save the same room and board and travel for them would be more.
You don't think schools would lose international students if they don't have on campus classes?

I think they'd lose a lot and I also think many US students would say 'screw it' and lay out a year and wait to go to school in 2021.

Very few would be happy paying full tuition for a year of on-line classes.

Reactions: Chriselli
Patrick Ewing, now coach of Georgetown, was just diagnosed with covid-19. In theory he could have been asymptotic for a couple of weeks. What happens when a college head football coach gets sick. He has been in close contact with all of his assistant coaches who are in turn inclose contact with each player. Is the team quarantined for two weeks.

And with regard keeping players isolated when they are not at practice - what are those people smoking? These kids are going to be focused on attempting to get laid. Notice I used the word “attempting”. And the greater the attempts the more likely to come into contact with the virus.

Patrick Ewing, now coach of Georgetown, was just diagnosed with covid-19. In theory he could have been asymptotic for a couple of weeks. What happens when a college head football coach gets sick. He has been in close contact with all of his assistant coaches who are in turn inclose contact with each player. Is the team quarantined for two weeks.

And with regard keeping players isolated when they are not at practice - what are those people smoking? These kids are going to be focused on attempting to get laid. Notice I used the word “attempting”. And the greater the attempts the more likely to come into contact with the virus.
Brilliant! Because teenage boys never try to get laid if they don't have practice.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: destewart
You don't think schools would lose international students if they don't have on campus classes?

I think they'd lose a lot and I also think many US students would say 'screw it' and lay out a year and wait to go to school in 2021.

Brilliant! Because teenage boys never try to get laid if they don't have practice.

:rolleyes:

International student enrollment has already been on a decline due largely to geopolitical considerations.

CDC issues new Covid death rate (for people with symptoms) — Just 0.05% for patients under 50

Folks need to relax. I highly encourage you to read this article from CNN.

And it gets even better, when you add in the 35% asymptomatic cases, the death rate for people under 50 is approaching .01%.

College kids will be absolutely safe on campus.

Sheesh, the pearl clutching in this thread.

Are all the posters here suddenly taking estrogen?

I'm 54. And I survived Covid.

It was a 3-4 day mini-flu.

Last edited:
CDC issues new Covid death rate (for people with symptoms) — Just 0.05% for patients under 50

And it gets even better, when you add in the 35% asymptomatic cases, the death rate for people under 50 is approaching .01%.

Your link goes basically nowhere.

Here's a link to CNN: https://www.cnn.com

Since those headlines don't match your premise I'm sure you'll ignore them...

I'm glad you had a mild experience with COVID19. Everyone else won't be so fortunate.

As I've mentioned before, I have family on the front lines of this and according to them there are "plenty of people under 50 getting really sick from this and coming into the ICU"...

While those "folks" may not be dying many are experiencing symptoms that are debilitating and that may well stay with them in some fashion for the rest of their lives.

Here in Indiana we currently have a death rate from known COVID19 patients that hovers consistently at 6.5%...

Now I don't expect to change anyone's mind about anything at this point.

As a country we've decided to reopen at full speed and damn the consequences.

I've come to realize that many of the rest of my fellow citizens are much more concerned about being inconvenienced at some microscopic level (gotta get a beer and/or a haircut [and the masks are too "uncomfortable"] crowd)..., than they are about protecting the vulnerable and helping the very people they count on to help them (Health Care workers at all levels, EMT's and Police)...

I have a great idea for these brave folks. Why not wear "No EMT Contact", "Do Not Transport/ No Extraordinary Measures" badges..., so if and when they do become candidates for the Emergency Room and later the ICU, they can instead be left in place and be given the same level of concern and consideration they're giving everyone they are currently coming in contact with...

Same for their families (give every one of them a badge)... They want to make potentially life and death decisions for others families.

Time to Ante Up... No big thing after all ... Nothing to worry about- Right...

Here's link to what the CDC has to say: https://www.theindychannel.com/news...tempts-americans-outdoors-raising-virus-fears

///*V & Danc: I was not thinking of you when I typed the above, you've both proven your bravery (by signing up) and evidently are in less affected areas/circumstances than most)..\\\

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
Your link goes basically nowhere.

Here's a link to CNN: https://www.cnn.com

Since those headlines don't match your premise I'm sure you'll ignore them...

I'm glad you had a mild experience with COVID19. Everyone else won't be so fortunate.

As I've mentioned before, I have family on the front lines of this and according to them there are "plenty of people under 50 getting really sick from this and coming into the ICU"...

While those "folks" may not be dying the are experiencing symptoms that are debilitating and that may well stay with them in some fashion for the rest of their lives.

Here in Indiana we currently have a death rate from known COVID19 patients that hovers consistently at 6.5%...

Now I don't expect to change anyone's mind about anything at this point.

As a country we've decided to reopen at full speed and damn the consequences.

I've come to realize that many of the rest of my fellow citizens are much more concerned about being inconvenienced at some microscopic level (gotta get a beer and/or a haircut [and the masks are too "uncomfortable"] crowd)..., than they are about protecting the vulnerable and helping the very people they count on to help them (Health Care workers at all levels, EMT's and Police)...

I have a great idea for these brave folks. Why not wear "No EMT Contact", "Do Not Transport/ No Extraordinary Measures" badges..., so if and when they do become candidates for the Emergency Room and later the ICU, they can instead be left in place and be given the same level of concern and consideration they're giving everyone they are currently coming in contact with...

Same for their families (give every one of them a badge)... They want to make potentially life and death decisions for others families.

Time to Ante Up... No big thing after all ... Nothing to worry about right...

//*V & Danc: I was not thinking of you when I typed the above, you've both proven your bravery and evidently are in less affected areas/circumstances than most)..\\
I'm curious as to how people prove their "bravery" on a message board. Everyone's tough and brave when they're posting anonymously and there's no way to verify the accuracy of any claims they're making.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips

Sorry, misread the original post.

Yikes...THIS /\ /\ /\ ladies and gentlemen is why we need to keep our guard up and masks as required gear. This crowd is why numbers are not dropping and this mess stays with us far longer than it needed to.

My mistake on the link.

It is fixed now.

Here's the CNN link...

Did you bother to read that?

You evidently don't understand that having 35% of the cases out there being asymptotic is Not a good thing at all...

That just means that all those people don't have a clue that they are infectious and are walking around giving it to from 6 to 8 others!

You'd best reread what Bergstrom has to say near the end of it also...

Last edited:
Reactions: Courtsensetwo

You evidently don't understand that having 35% of the cases out there being asymptotic is Not a good thing at all...

That just means that all those people don't have a clue that they are infectious and are walking around giving it to from 6 to 8 others!

Here's another link. The 35% it talks about makes the mortality rate even lower.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattv...9h-_SyTQbXW1WLIrn_711YatClyxVTNLZPFcOGPhO2vU0

Reactions: mikewoodson2

The asymptomatic cases make the death rate lower.

You should read it again.

The asymptomatic cases make the death rate lower.

You should read it again.

I read it.

While those numbers theoretically flatten the current nationwide numbers it also clearly protends a major source of potential infection walking around in the general populace now that we've reopened.

How do you think that's going to work out?

Glad you beat it!

I agree that young and healthy folks are at minimal risk. The numbers show it.

I also believe young and healthy folks can prevent themselves from exposing at-risk folks. We aren’t just a bunch of idiots. Folks who try to be careful can be safe. Masks and sanitation either work - in which case we can be safe until there’s a vaccine - or we’ve been lied to.

Thank God the actual numbers don’t match the Doomsday Scenario we were warned about. It’s bad enough as is. But with media locked in a political battle, it’s been hard to get reliable info, so hearing your story is a positive.

And the news seems to keep getting better - it’s spreading less easily, most don’t get sick, most who do get sick survive it easier than expected, there’s no medical system overload, and the vaccine research is progressing rapidly. (Heard a doc with my own ears say he has never seen so much research capability focus so fast - literally a worldwide effort. He worked in Seattle, where our first nursing home crisis blew up early.)

Everybody stay safe!

Glad you beat it!

I agree that young and healthy folks are at minimal risk. The numbers show it.

I also believe young and healthy folks can prevent themselves from exposing at-risk folks. We aren’t just a bunch of idiots. Folks who try to be careful can be safe. Masks and sanitation either work - in which case we can be safe until there’s a vaccine - or we’ve been lied to.

Thank God the actual numbers don’t match the Doomsday Scenario we were warned about. It’s bad enough as is. But with media locked in a political battle, it’s been hard to get reliable info, so hearing your story is a positive.

And the news seems to keep getting better - it’s spreading less easily, most don’t get sick, most who do get sick survive it easier than expected, there’s no medical system overload, and the vaccine research is progressing rapidly. (Heard a doc with my own ears say he has never seen so much research capability focus so fast - literally a worldwide effort. He worked in Seattle, where our first nursing home crisis blew up early.)

Everybody stay safe!
We need to focus our efforts now on the most vulnerable.

At risk folks need to be hospitalized right when they start to show symptoms. Right now, everyone is being sent home to self-quarantine until they are in distress. Direct medical attention and quarantining needs to start immediately. That's where our aid needs to be going - protecting the most vulnerable. It's going to be cheaper than paying people to not work.

Open the economy up and let those with very low risk get back to their lives. Even Fauci recently said the longer this goes on, the worse it's going to get for issues that aren't virus-related.

We need to focus our efforts now on the most vulnerable.

At risk folks need to be hospitalized right when they start to show symptoms. Right now, everyone is being sent home to self-quarantine until they are in distress. Direct medical attention and quarantining needs to start immediately. That's where our aid needs to be going - protecting the most vulnerable. It's going to be cheaper than paying people to not work.

Open the economy up and let those with very low risk get back to their lives. Even Fauci recently said the longer this goes on, the worse it's going to get for issues that aren't virus-related.

The problem with that is, there's really nothing that can be done for people, so why hospitalize people when they are showing symptoms? Basically, they can do pain management and what? They'd just be taking up a bed and putting the hospital staff more at risk.

I say this with both my mom and step dad not able to do much right now but lie in their sofas and try to get whatever relief they can find. My mom was just tested yesterday, but we'll be shocked if she doesn't have it.

I read it.

While those numbers theoretically flatten the current nationwide numbers it also clearly protends a major source of potential infection walking around in the general populace now that we've reopened.

How do you think that's going to work out?

A comment about the article:

CNN’s selected expert to argue against the new CDC report was not compelling. He basically said “this isn’t the flu” and “NYC covid deaths are higher than the expected NYC flu deaths would be if we assume everybody in NYC got the flu” so “CDCs numbers are too low.” The first 2 are irrelevant points, and make me question his conclusion. CDC was using covid numbers to make covid reports.

Once again, medias objective of making political arguments (in this instance, CNN) interferes with the delivery of helpful facts. I wish they’d get over that crap.

The problem with that is, there's really nothing that can be done for people, so why hospitalize people when they are showing symptoms? Basically, they can do pain management and what? They'd just be taking up a bed and putting the hospital staff more at risk.

I say this with both my mom and step dad not able to do much right now but lie in their sofas and try to get whatever relief they can find. My mom was just tested yesterday, but we'll be shocked if she doesn't have it.

My wife learned last night that the 82 year old mom of her childhood best friend beat it.

My daughter works in a nursing home/long term care/rehab facility. They have residents and patients who tested positive for the first time weeks ago and even again this past week. Winning.

I’d bet your folks beat it too. The odds are strongly in their favor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT