ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Conference Schedule Finalized and Announced

Tammany Hall

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2010

Atlantis: Arizona, Davidson, Gonzaga, Louisville, Oklahoma, Providence, and West Virginia

Woodson:
“My staff and I put together a non-conference schedule that will lead to long-term success this season. We have a new team this year that we are excited to showcase in front of the sold-out crowds in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

We will be tested by some veteran, well-coached ball clubs early in the season that will prepare us for a 20-game conference schedule. We are looking forward to playing in one of the best in-season tournaments in our game in the Battle 4 Atlantis. The matchups, no matter how they fall, will create a great test for our team.”

Atlantis: Arizona, Davidson, Gonzaga, Louisville, Oklahoma, Providence, and West Virginia

Woodson:
“My staff and I put together a non-conference schedule that will lead to long-term success this season. We have a new team this year that we are excited to showcase in front of the sold-out crowds in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

We will be tested by some veteran, well-coached ball clubs early in the season that will prepare us for a 20-game conference schedule. We are looking forward to playing in one of the best in-season tournaments in our game in the Battle 4 Atlantis. The matchups, no matter how they fall, will create a great test for our team.”
TERRIBLE AND NO GAME IN INDY

2025 Torvik Projection ranking for what it's worth:

Nov 6 - SIU Edwardsville 313
Nov 10 - Eastern Illinois 311
Nov 16 - South Carolina 54
Nov 21 - UNC Greensboro 175
Nov 27-29: Arizona (10), Davidson (157), Gonzaga (9), Louisville (62), Oklahoma (67), Providence (60), and West Virginia (83)
Dec 3 - Sam Houston St. 113
Dec 6 - Miami (Ohio) 234
Dec 21 - Chattanooga 148
Dec 28 - Winthrop 166

Torvik does have flaws, but it's the only broad estimate of where teams could be that is available right now (that I know of).

Last edited:
2025 Torvik Projection for what it's worth:

Nov 6 - SIU Edwardsville 313
Nov 10 - Eastern Illinois 311
Nov 16 - South Carolina 54
Nov 21 - UNC Greensboro 175
Nov 27-29: Arizona (10), Davidson (157), Gonzaga (9), Louisville (62), Oklahoma (67), Providence (60), and West Virginia (83)
Dec 3 - Sam Houston 113
Dec 6 - Miami (Ohio) 234
Dec 21 - Chattanooga 148
Dec 28 - Winthrop 166

Yes, Torvik does have flaws, but it's a broad idea of where teams are.
Which of those are away games?

South Carolina (because they are game cocks) will give us a good game. And maybe Greensboro and Winthrop, but they are a stretch to do it.
To build our brand we better do well in the Bahamas.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
All games are home except Atlantis.
Thanks. Ok, I’d prefer to see a road game to get ready for conference play, but I guess they are more concerned with building a tourney resume with some neutral games and easy home games.

Pathetic non conference schedule. Woodson should be ashamed. So much for playing the best like he said last season. This is an Archie Miller type of schedule
It depends on what you are trying to get out of the NC. Perhaps their only concern is playing the ratings game. Me, personally, I’d be concerned about not playing a road game before the conference. It’s a trade off. Would you rather be ten points higher in net, or have faced greater adversity before walking into a Kohl center (for example).

Me, personally, I like the MSU model, and like the idea of early losses if it helps you in conference/NCAA prep. Otoh. It’s not like we are MSU and make the tourney each year-you got to walk before you can run.

Saw this posted on one of the other IU forums, helps put things in perspective in regards to complaints with the schedule. It's not nearly as bad to the untrained eye.

Last year IU's non-conference SOS was 223 accoring to Pom. This ranked as the 6th toughest out of the 14 Big Ten teams and was ahead of Illinois's schedule last year which was at 260.

Outside of Indiana, my prediction would be that 4 of the other teams in the Battle for Atlantis would be in the top 50 NET and three would be outside the top 50. Top 50 NET on the road equates to a Q1 game. Most likely IU will face either 1 Q1 and 2 Q2 or 2Q1 and 1 Q2.

The other opponents by last year NET:

• SIU Edwardsville: 280 Q4
  • Eastern Illinois 311 Q4
  • South Carolina 51 Q2
  • UNC Greensboro 132 Q3
  • Sam Houston 152 Q3
  • Miami (O) 238 Q4
  • Chattanooga 140 Q3
  • Wintrop 181 Q4
Totals: Either 1 or 2 Q1, 2 or 3 Q2, 3 Q3, 4 Q4.

Last year the non-con NET sheet was: 3 Q1, 0 Q2, 2 Q3, 6 Q4. While the marquee matchups at the top aren't there (although they could be depending on how the Battle of Atlantis plays out), it is a more balanced schedule.

We can get one or two around top-10 match-ups in the Atlantis ballroom, which is good.

The schedule isn’t really bad or a disaster, but the home slate is a little weak, could use one exciting, big home game. A bigger game in there is not going to ruin our NET.

UK fires back up in 2026. That’s good.

Last edited:
We can get one or two around top-10 match-ups in the Atlantis ballroom, which is good.

The schedule isn’t really bad or a disaster, but the home slate is a little weak, could use one exciting, big home game. A bigger game in there is not going to ruin our NET.

UK fires back up in 2026. That’s good.
home slate sucks, road slate is nonexistent, if our goal is to slip into the tournament on an inflated net, I guess this schedule is great. for a 10 million roster I expect more than that being the goal.

home slate sucks, road slate is nonexistent, if our goal is to slip into the tournament on an inflated net, I guess this schedule is great. for a 10 million roster I expect more than that being the goal.
Personally I would just have a very good team and play a tough, exciting schedule — that’s the fundamental reason to have a basketball team. It wouldn’t be a problem because we know we are top-15 or better and will be fine for the tourney.

Is what it is though.

Was this schedule made before the $10 million roster was set?

Perhaps it was made before that. It’s not like we’re a program that has been easily making the tournament as a lock in the last decade.

Looks like the December conference games will now be played the second week of the month instead of the first week

Personally I would just have a very good team and play a tough, exciting schedule — that’s the fundamental reason to have a basketball team. It wouldn’t be a problem because we know we are top-15 or better and will be fine for the tourney.

Is what it is though.
Truth is, if IU cleans the clock on the non-conference schedule and plays mediocre ball in the B1G to get to 20 wins....Woodson will blame the committee for IU being left on the outside looking in, and he'll get another year.

. It’s the Iowa state model. Start paying attention more. Your response shows you haven’t been paying attention. Most IU fans don’t.
It certainly isn’t a traditional Mich St. schedule. I wonder if Izzo is planning to ease his.

. It’s the Iowa state model. Start paying attention more. Your response shows you haven’t been paying attention. Most IU fans don’t.
Iowa St was the worst in that regard but Houston, BYU, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Cincinnati, and Texas had nothing to brag about either... Schedule a tough opponent or two and then blow out a bunch of cupcakes = + NET.

If that’s what IU aspires to, I’m good with it.

I’m not going to dig up the posts about how getting out of the Crossroads Classic freed IU up to play a blue blood schedule. That’s not me. That’s not what I do.
who would want to go see a good doubleheader in Indy when you can go to the hall and watch a siu Edwardsville beatdown.

Iowa St was the worst in that regard but Houston, BYU, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Cincinnati, and Texas had nothing to brag about either... Schedule a tough opponent or two and then blow out a bunch of cupcakes = + NET.
I only said Iowa State because that’s what the media etc..called it. The Big 12 and Big East both did it. A lot of coaches are predicting and accepting this path.

If that’s what IU aspires to, I’m good with it.

I’m not going to dig up the posts about how getting out of the Crossroads Classic freed IU up to play a blue blood schedule. That’s not me. That’s not what I do.
Wait and see. We got rid of that anchor baby and it’s not the only reason. IU still killed it in revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT