ADVERTISEMENT

IU Grads Poll

IU Grad?

• Yes

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
Remember when someone tried to start an alternative site just for "serious" discussions and you had to be invited to participate? That thing lasted about a month from what I recall. Almost as good as the infamous ranking of posters.

I am sure for that you will drop a couple of spots in the next ranking.

Believe it or not, it may have had to do with me criticizing someone for taking shots at Sarah Palin.

Yes, I leaned much more to the right back then.

I remember those days (you leaning more right). Interesting to see you moderate whereas I usually hear about people moving more extreme in belief as they age? I assume part of that is less about your views changing as much as it is the GOP moving more extreme.

Reactions: Noodle
Remember when someone tried to start an alternative site just for "serious" discussions and you had to be invited to participate? That thing lasted about a month from what I recall. Almost as good as the infamous ranking of posters.
How would you know? Sounds like this brilliant Buzz fellow would have vetoed your invite. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
Yeah, he wouldn't have tolerated your thin-skinned, low signal quality posts. He didn't tolerate mine when I first found the board, but really thoughtful posters like DougS, Buzz, IUTerry, and Rockfish prodded me to engage in better conversation. I guess I'm one of those awful people who rises and falls to the level of what surrounds him.

Buzz could be a dick about it, but the quality of the arguments and conversation was exponentially higher during his reign. Posters like @BradStevens , @Univee2 , and @Marvin the Martian were the norm. Folks as thoughtful and informed as @crazed_hoosier2 and @Noodle or as middle of the road establishment as @Aloha Hoosier (all of whom I mostly disagree with politically but have learned a ton from and have tons of respect for*) were seen a bit as bomb-throwers in that regime. Some of that is mellowing and becoming better informed with age, but a lot of that is something else.

*add Ranger/Wakeboarder to that list, too, but can't remember if he was around much in the Buzz era.
I don't recall Ranger at that time. Rerun Stubs was one who was around. I am apparently a bad poster but I survived the Buzz reign of terror ok.

Is it time?
it-is.gif

Blasphemy but looking back but that degree from IU was a big waste of time and money.
And unfortunately it was way before the taxpayers (me) would cover my student debt.

Yeah, he wouldn't have tolerated your thin-skinned, low signal quality posts. He didn't tolerate mine when I first found the board, but really thoughtful posters like DougS, Buzz, IUTerry, and Rockfish prodded me to engage in better conversation. I guess I'm one of those awful people who rises and falls to the level of what surrounds him.

Buzz could be a dick about it, but the quality of the arguments and conversation was exponentially higher during his reign. Posters like @BradStevens , @Univee2 , and @Marvin the Martian were the norm. Folks as thoughtful and informed as @crazed_hoosier2 and @Noodle or as middle of the road establishment as @Aloha Hoosier (all of whom I mostly disagree with politically but have learned a ton from and have tons of respect for*) were seen a bit as bomb-throwers in that regime. Some of that is mellowing and becoming better informed with age, but a lot of that is something else.

*add Ranger/Wakeboarder to that list, too, but can't remember if he was around much in the Buzz era.
I’m now DecentWakeboarderBadWakesurfer.

I would have gotten a Buzz problem fixed.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Every time I see Texas A&M games, I think of that Tom Cruise movie where the cadets take over after their Commandant was fired. Buzz heads looking for a reason to shoot someone.
ROTC is still big at College Station. It’s not compulsory, though.

Reactions: DANC
I know; my wife is one.

And I met a lot of them when I was in Texas. I still love texting some of them, telling them that the A&M could never compete in a real conference like the B1G. Infuriates them every time.
Really, I met a number of Aggies working in Dallas, years ago.
One appointed me a Calhoun handing out assignments, quaint.

Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT