ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Joseph to Rutgers

Just seeing this makes me think CTA must have a list of all the coaches maybe top 5 he is going to target if this kind of thing happens. The Facebook live event for the signing class Joseph wasn't there.
Yeah I thought that was odd.

I don’t blame NoJo. He played for Ash and was a grad assistant under him. The one coach they just lost was co-DC so probably a better shot at becoming DC.

Just seeing this makes me think CTA must have a list of all the coaches maybe top 5 he is going to target if this kind of thing happens. The Facebook live event for the signing class Joseph wasn't there.

Seems like at least a small step up from safeties to full secondary coach. Good for him.

Also, following Allen’s m.o. from his previous hires, it will be someone he knows personally and likely has worked with or someone that one of the other assistants has worked with elsewhere

Reactions: 76-1
We lost a good recruiter in a lateral at-best move. NoJo has spent almost as much time with Allen as Ash and has built a multi-year relationship with the players. Unless he is from the east coast, this seems difficult to spin.

This reminds me of losing the strength coach to Kentucky. Assistant coaches are a crap shoot, and maybe CTA will hit a homer.

Reactions: IUCol
Never personal when a coach leaves for a new opportunity. But I actually see it as a great opportunity for IU to get a new voice, a great recruiter and maybe someone who is totally pumped for the opportunity to coach in B10 at IU. If Ballou is a mode we could get a great addition. Good luck to NJ and excited about a new addition to the staff.

We lost a good recruiter in a lateral at-best move. NoJo has spent almost as much time with Allen as Ash and has built a multi-year relationship with the players. Unless he is from the east coast, this seems difficult to spin.

This reminds me of losing the strength coach to Kentucky. Assistant coaches are a crap shoot, and maybe CTA will hit a homer.
There’s nothing to spin. He played under and coached with Ash. He’s going to be in charge of the entire secondary instead of just the safeties.

Assistants leave all the time. Bama loses assistants and not just to the NFL. And yet every time we lose one, people here seem completely befuddled that anyone would ever leave here. Also, can we stop obsessing over Mark Hill? Kentucky is a good job. It’s incredibly annoying that people have been whining for 3 years about how we went “cheap” with him, seemingly incapable of actually looking up salaries: he made $200,000 at UK. The guy we replaced him with made $200,000 here. Assistants are going to come and go.

There’s nothing to spin. He played under and coached with Ash. He’s going to be in charge of the entire secondary instead of just the safeties.

Assistants leave all the time. Bama loses assistants and not just to the NFL. And yet every time we lose one, people here seem completely befuddled that anyone would every leave here. Also, can we stop obsessing over Mark Hill? Kentucky is a good job. It’s incredibly annoying that people have been whining for 3 years about how we went “cheap” with him, seemingly incapable of actually looking up salaries: he made $200,000 at UK. The guy we replaced him with made $200,000 here. Assistants are going to come and go.

Also, because their relationship goes pretty far back, they may have a pretty solid friendship outside the professional/coaching setting. Could be similar to Allen hiring Heard

We lost a good recruiter in a lateral at-best move.

I noticed that too when checking the recruiting he was pretty good. Hopefully we replace him with a solid up and comer that can recruit and can coach.

Lets see...Anyone wanna take a wild guess as too where this coach may be from? I have to say Florida or at least someone with southern ties? just guessing

Reactions: 76-1
My choice would be to replace him with Joe Speed from Georgia Tech. Fills a recruiting niche and with his coaching background OLBs, ILBs, DBs(now), a move to S's would be an easy one. With him you'd have a clean slate to coach up to the style you want to have run... (in my opinion)

Last edited:
My choice would to replace him would be Joe Speed from Georgia Tech. Fills a recruiting niche
Any ties to Allen? I checked the usf guys he was with and ole miss guys they have all moved up the totem pole and have good gigs. Allen snatched Wommack who was with him at ole miss but I have to clue where he might reach out for this one.

Any ties to Allen? I checked the usf guys he was with and ole miss guys they have all moved up the totem pole and have good gigs. Allen snatched Wommack who was with him at ole miss but I have to clue where he might reach out for this one.

No ties that I know of. Actually, he's just my choice based on his background and recruiting area. It's highly unlikely we'll get him because he does have deep ties to the GT coach and none to us. You never know though. Offer him an 80-100 thou raise and see if that gets him interested in expanding his horizons...

Allen promoted Hagan to assistant defensive coordinator and Inge to special teams coach. There was no advancement available to Joseph. He was able to get a small promotion, and have a better shot at moving up to defensive coordinator working for Ash. Allen picked his guys, and now he will have to deal with the difficult task of replacing Joseph.

Reactions: iueyedoc99 and 76-1
Will CTA want someone familiar with his scheme and how to coach the husky position?

Most likely. I just came up with Speeds name because I couldn't find anyone who met that criteria...

Maybe one of our GA's gets a shot at it...?

I missed this rather important item in his bio: Speed was a 4 year starter at the Safety position for the Naval Academy.

Being a four year starter anywhere, in any league, is quite an accomplishment...

He might enjoy being given a shot at coaching his old position.

He would certainly be easy to vet. All TA would need to do is speak with TD Roof, who's already on campus to determine what Techs players thought of him and then call TD's father to get an unbiased view of his coaching abilities...

Reactions: snowling
Where is he now? Back at Central FL? Didn't see him listed on the Cincinnati staff roster...

Yes - he is now at UCF as part of Josh Heupel’s new staff. It may be unlikely but stranger things have happened with new staffs (see Brent Pease with Kevin Wilson in 2011).

Interestingly enough, that new UCF staff contains Billy Ray Johnson, formerly of IU under Wilson in football operations and Cameron Coffman, now as Director of UCF football operations, who was our former QB.

Yes - he is now at UCF as part of Josh Heupel’s new staff. It may be unlikely but stranger things have happened with new staffs (see Brent Pease with Kevin Wilson in 2011).

Interestingly enough, that new UCF staff contains Billy Ray Johnson, formerly of IU under Wilson in football operations and Cameron Coffman, now as Director of UCF football operations, who was our former QB.

Thanks.
That is interesting. I always liked Coffman. Tough young man. Glad to hear he's doing well.

An slightly out of the box type move would be to entice Kane Wommacks father Dave to come back from retirement for 2 years with the understanding that big part of his job is to groom Shelby to take over coaching the entire secondary...:CB's & Safeties.

Another thought might be to hire Dave Wommack as just a Defensive Analyst for 2years and have him "coach the coach" : that either being Shelby or whoever we decide to bring in as a Safeties only coach...

If we move Shelby over to coaching the entire secondary that opens a slot for another coach on either side of the ball... (maybe on the OL as either G's & C's or just OT's)...

Some interesting decisions are soon to be made by TA...

Or....... Tom Allen could coach the LB's and move Kane Wommack over to coaching purely the Husky position...

That move would still allow him to bring in Kane's father as an "Analyst" and still allow Shelby to be named Secondary coach, while leaving an open position to be used where it might best serve the team (I'm thinking OL)...

Or....... Tom Allen could coach the LB's and move Kane Wommack over to coaching purely the Husky position...

That move would still allow him to bring in Kane's father as an "Analyst" and still allow Shelby to be named Secondary coach, while leaving an open position to be used where it might best serve the team (I'm thinking OL)...

Whatever guy we land, I think we go young and at least match Joseph’s annual salary of $242K.

Here’s a great web link that provides assistant salary info from 2017. Notice that Michigan had several assistants all within the top 100 of all assistants in the country and take a look at some of the coordinators salaries:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

What was Michigan's record last year?

Yeah....I wasn’t trying to make any correlation between wins and higher assistant pay. Just found it interesting that Michigan assistants hold 30% of the top-10 paying jobs in the nation.

One could certainly make a counter argument to some of the posters here who keep saying that higher pay translates to automatic success. Harbaugh and crew may not be necessarily generating the ROI many of their fans expect.

If you click on each of the teams, you can see like a 10 year history of the head coaching salary. Amazing looking at the salaries of Hep and Lynch.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
Whatever guy we land, I think we go young and at least match Joseph’s annual salary of $242K.

Here’s a great web link that provides assistant salary info from 2017. Notice that Michigan had several assistants all within the top 100 of all assistants in the country and take a look at some of the coordinators salaries:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Yeah..., I understand your point but I don't think MI is the example you really want to use...;). That may well be the most overrated, overpaid coaching staff that has ever collectively trod the earth...:D

Here's a random name: Anthony Perkins

DB - U of Colorado 2007-2011
Player, Denver Broncos 2012
U of Colorado technical intern
Indiana State - DB coach for 2 years
Ohio University - CB coach 2 years
Tampa Bay Bucs - Ass't to Head Coach last year.

He's one of those guys that was put into the NFL Leadership Training Progra

Reactions: 76-1 and Indianaftw
Bringing in a guy to help on the OL (Tackles) would be my move. That might just be the tweak that could move us from OK to Great...

Joseph was officially announced at rutger. He is co-defensive coordinator/safeties coach. So he left to get a promotion and to join a personal friend. End of story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT