ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Question for those that know…

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
How is this stuff always secretive? Seems like to me these players are now state employees. Isn’t that info typically reported somewhere?

An agreement between the student/athlete and the entity (being a private business, publicly traded company, or NIL collective). The university is supposed to have nothing to do with it (as are the coaches). The coaching staff can set parameters on what players are allowed to do for their NIL monies and as importantly, when they can perform their duties.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
It’s also regulated at the state level. Each state sets nil rules and standards. If your state doesn’t then the NCAA rules apply.

It's all private. No state involvement. Not sure where you get the state employment angle.
Are coaches at IU state employees? Their salaries are pretty common knowledge, right? It just seems players should have to report their income too. It’d be very interesting to know what Flory is raking in to go to Kansas.

It’s also regulated at the state level. Each state sets nil rules and standards. If your state doesn’t then the NCAA rules apply.
You are correct and that contributes to the complexity of the issue. It's tough on the fans when we don't know the rules.

Are coaches at IU state employees? Their salaries are pretty common knowledge, right? It just seems players should have to report their income too. It’d be very interesting to know what Flory is raking in to go to Kansas.
Every single person that is on IUs payroll salary is public knowledge. I look at how much we are over paying, or underpaying people on staff from time to time.

IU doesn't pay players a dime. So none of it is public knowledge.

You are correct and that contributes to the complexity of the issue. It's tough on the fans when we don't know the rules.
It’s really not complex at all. It’s pretty much an open door. The ncaa set the guidelines after they got their a$$es handed to them and state’s generally have written the rules along side of them. The biggest thing states are taking a look at is how involved coaches and universities can be. Also high school nil is another topic.

Players aren't state employees though. NIL is not funded like a coach's salary is at a public university. Same reason I,or anyone else in the private sector, doesn't have to publicly disclose compensation. It's nobody's business.

It’s really not complex at all. It’s pretty much an open door. The ncaa set the guidelines after they got their a$$es handed to them and state’s generally have written the rules along side of them. The biggest thing states are taking a look at is how involved coaches and universities can be. Also high school nil is another topic.
Agree. My point is that the rules can be different for schools in different states. Its can truly feel like kids are just looking for the highest bidder based on what schools are involved. Frustrating for some fans.

Agree. My point is that the rules can be different for schools in different states. Its can truly feel like kids are just looking for the highest bidder based on what schools are involved. Frustrating for some fans.
All states rules are very close. They still follow the ncaa guidelines (although loosely). Most kids so far seem to still go to the brand. The portal kids are the ones who are using highest bidder the most. Imho. The one and done types want a coach that gets them to the league plus NIL. Flory sure seems like his was a bidding thing. The final picks all had different shoe companies. Adidas, Nike, Jordan and under armor. Adidas won that battle it seems. @Cavanagh whats your take on this?

All states rules are very close. They still follow the ncaa guidelines (although loosely). Most kids so far seem to still go to the brand. The portal kids are the ones who are using highest bidder the most. Imho. The one and done types want a coach that gets them to the league plus NIL. Flory sure seems like his was a bidding thing. The final picks all had different shoe companies. Adidas, Nike, Jordan and under armor. Adidas won that battle it seems. @Cavanagh whats your take on this?
I think it is a case by case thing. How involved was nike or Adidas at a young age prob has a lot to do with it. I have no idea about the shoe companies though, I would think only the top top players have any real ties to them at 17-18.

I think it is a case by case thing. How involved was nike or Adidas at a young age prob has a lot to do with it. I have no idea about the shoe companies though, I would think only the top top players have any real ties to them at 17-18.
I think so too but does it not strike you that his final 4 are all different brand shoe companies?

The nail was hit squarely on the head here.

I'll take Unintended Consequences that are Positive for $1,000, Alex.
You honestly believe these unknown nefarious jokers funneling big money to buy the best team they can are better than the shoe companies? It all seems shady as hell to me.

You honestly believe these unknown nefarious jokers funneling big money to buy the best team they can are better than the shoe companies? It all seems shady as hell to me.
Why? It’s marketing. You market yourself and get a BBD. Why fight giving money to adults for marketing a skill when it was going to others who took advantage of that skill. Is it shady when a guy down the hall in a similar office to yours marketed themselves better than you and gets more compensation? It’s finally getting funneled to the talent. At least a bunch of it is. Athletics at all age groups are being run as businesses anyway.

the first rule of NIL, is that there are no rules.

and no one is in charge.

so much easier to totally hijack from within and fully monetize something 10s of thousands of others built over centuries, that was never intended to be monetized, than to build a business one's self.

It's all private. No state involvement. Not sure where you get the state employment angle.
Schools don't pay the players.

of course not. ;)

and politicians don't take bribes either. that would be illegal.

as Margaret Thatcher famously once said, "the problem with NIL, is that eventually you run out of other people's money".

07a55a62403ade1e01afc0d87a08a282.jpg

Last edited:
I’d guess nothing is done directly. But dudes like Self have always figured out ways. Disagree?
Don't disagree on the latter but there's no need for a school to pay a kid under the table now that athlete's are free to profit off their name, image, and likeness.

You think it was a better when the 3 shoe companies could funnel money to top players and influence where they went?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
So schools are paying players as employees and then not reporting it to the IRS?

my guess would be yes, schools are paying players. (taxing income doesn't differentiate dependent on the source).

you don't see any accounting at all for where NIL money originates do you.

that said, let's define terms.

if a school funnels money to a 3rd party, who then funnels it back to NIL, did said NIL money originate from the 3rd party or from the school?

from the school would be the correct answer.

no doubt some NIL money originates from 3rd parties, but the bulk of it will originate from the schools.

because it can, and for the same reason Dillinger robbed banks.

Last edited:
my guess would be yes, schools are paying players. (taxing income doesn't differentiate dependent on the source).

that said, let's define terms.

if a school funnels money to a 3rd party, who then funnels it back to NIL, did said NIL money originate from the 3rd party, or from the school?

from the school would be the correct answer.

no doubt some NIL money originates from 3rd parties, but the bulk of it will originate from the schools.

because it can, and for the same reason Dillinger robbed banks.
Stretch Armstrong couldn’t be stretched this far.

Glad you said guess, because unless you substantiate your claim it is nothing other than bullshit
Are your W-2's and 1099's public record?
if a school funnels money to a 3rd party, who then funnels it back to NIL, did said NIL money originate from the 3rd party or from the school?
College and Universities get audited all the time. Universities rely heavily on donations and contributions from boosters, you're starting to see a trend of former donors now contributing to 3rd party NIL collectives rather than donating directly to the school. Not sure why schools would funnel money (illegally) to a 3rd party collective who is already receiving legal contributions to fund NIL programs. What world do you live in?
Source? Link? Need something to corroborate your nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT