ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Money

What in the world is a MAJOR NIL VIOLATION? Is there actually such a thing?

They refer to these as Level 1 and Level 2 infractions in NIL. That’s usually when a university is funneling money in some way into its NIL. Like university employees contributing to it, athletic department donations ending up in NIL.
Tennessee and its crazy orange hillbillies has been doing illegal shit for years long before NIL.

They refer to these as Level 1 and Level 2 infractions in NIL. That’s usually when a university is funneling money in some way into its NIL. Like university employees contributing to it, athletic department donations ending up in NIL.
Tennessee and its crazy orange hillbillies has been doing illegal shit for years long before NIL.
Yeah, I went and read the article. Seems they were using it to recruit. That's against the rules, but I'm guessing every single big time outfit does it. There's no way in the world I'm ever going to believe O$U doesn't make a daily practice of it.

Schools can’t pay nil.

Boosters still can’t be a “bag man” or set up NIL deals.
Yeah, I went and read the article. Seems they were using it to recruit. That's against the rules, but I'm guessing every single big time outfit does it. There's no way in the world I'm ever going to believe O$U doesn't make a daily practice of it.
Believe what you want but they don’t. Doug Archie is the head of their compliance and is a a notorious a$$ and alumni, fans and even coaching staff’s had been frustrated with NIL until this year. You’re as guilty as the SEC fans who have made this claim during this off season. They spent big money yes. Is it 13 million? Nobody knows but it didn’t go to the portal transfer's. It went to retain the roster.

I’m sure boosters still hang around (like every school) but as far as NIL, they have always had the money, they’ve finally used it and not on 21 portal kids like Ole Miss but 8 of their own who were NFL bound. Tennessee is guilty of offering NIL deals to recruits. OSU has lost more than a handful of recruits because they tell recruits that they don’t know what they will receive from NIL and gives them an average. Ricart Automotive and Whalberg give new cars to almost every scholarship player. I went to the OSU/Michigan wrestling meet last Friday with my neighbor and had dinner before on campus. We walked by the football complex on the way to eat and the amount of nice, brand new vehicles was astounding.

I saw today that the states of Tennessee and Virginia are suing the NCAA. It won’t be much longer before CFB breaks away from the NCAA and student athletes unionize. Maybe the lack of sleep I’ve gotten the past month with a new born is finally catching up with me but it definitely makes me wonder if being a student matters anymore?

HFG (Hoosiers ForGood) is one of two NIL collectives for IU and they launched in March 2022. For that year, they report $4 million in NIL funds. The other collective is Hoosier Connect.
IU had an anonymous donor match contributions up to $1 million each year in 2022 and 2023.

My guess is our collectives are in the $6-8 million range right now.
They don’t report all these donations widely, so it’s hard to get a true figure.
The “sugar daddy” donor for the University of Miami, John Ruiz, originally announced in 2021 that he was going to donate north of $50 million for the school NIL before the feds began investigating his insurance company and he faced charges of not paying the companies he acquired.
There is a 3rd NIL run by Hoosier Hysterics, it is very large, probably larger than Hoosiers for Good

I saw today that the states of Tennessee and Virginia are suing the NCAA. It won’t be much longer before CFB breaks away from the NCAA and student athletes unionize. Maybe the lack of sleep I’ve gotten the past month with a new born is finally catching up with me but it definitely makes me wonder if being a student matters anymore?
Basically, they're suing the NCAA alleging they can derive their NIL money in anyway they want!!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Those are the two IU grads in the entertainment industry out in Hollywood, right?

I think their whole pitch is NIL solely for men’s basketball, right?
Wrong - initially I believe it was men’s basketball only, but now it includes football, women’s basketball and I believe other sports.
The uniqueness of their NIL is that 100% of $$$ go to players. They cover all expenses for administrating & legal fees from their personal pockets

I’ve never seen them disclose their fundraising results (not the individual deals with athletes, those are private), despite them promising to do that once per year per their website. Very opaque and a bit iffy.
I don’t care if they do. It’s the cringy tasteless crap they do. They will cost a recruit or two. If they haven’t already.

I loved to see a complete independent audit be required of every NIL organization... Lots of "shakey" crap going on... The NCAA lost control a long time ago.
So easy to skim off the top.

I wonder what IU requires of the NIL groups they work with in terms of disclosures and financial controls. If one of the NIL groups was found to committing fraud, embezzlement, or any crime, that would look pretty bad for IU.

So easy to skim off the top.

I wonder what IU requires of the NIL groups they work with in terms of disclosures and financial controls. If one of the NIL groups was found to committing fraud, embezzlement, or any crime, that would look pretty bad for IU.
Right now every Power 5 school has a few NIL organizations they're working with. I believe in the short-term, meaning the next 2-5 years, a small percentage of NIL's will succeed while the majority will fail. The large fish will be swallowing the small ones to the point where a handful of NIL's will control the majority of money being allocated.... and not just for one school.... Much like the Dot com craze it could get uglier than anyone's imagined for the have-nots...

Yea it’s really embarrassing we let them do that Assembly Hall event. IU athletics is so unprofessional.

They should make basic disclosures to their donors though.
What is embarrassing about Assembly Hall event? Fans get access to players, players get NIL $$ - sounds like win-win

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Please give examples!
You been under a rock? This article explains them. I mean motorboating a statue on campus and in Portland? The Dawson Garcia stuff? Jeremy fears?

Huh? He wasn't talking about coaches, he was talking about players and NIL.
My comment was related to athletic departments and coaches having final say of who gets how much NIL money and under what terms and conditions. I'm guessing that the board of trustees or some commission appointed by the board of trustees must approve these ridiculous coaching contracts as well as NILl money deals.

Does anybody think that some alumni is going to give $30,000 or $1 million in NIL money to a kid that has not been green lighted by the athletic department? Imagine an alumni giving a kid a million dollars and then independently finding out that the coaching staff has no intention of this guy ever seen the field. I can't imagine that these so-called independent deals are not signed off by the University.

You been under a rock? This article explains them. I mean motorboating a statue on campus and in Portland? The Dawson Garcia stuff? Jeremy fears?

So you don’t like their “humor”. The article is two years old and HH is still supporting IU student athletes with NIL. IU must believe they do a lot more good than bad for the University and its athletes.
Their podcast interviews are fabulous. It appears the students & athletes love them

So you don’t like their “humor”. The article is two years old and HH is still supporting IU student athletes with NIL. IU must believe they do a lot more good than bad for the University and its athletes.
Their podcast interviews are fabulous. It appears the students & athletes love them
IU has produced one of the worst FB programs in D1 and terrible bball for 30 years. IU has terrible judgement.

Most people see these guys as cringey and it’s embarrassing we let them around our athletes. They asked to fly on the women’s bball plane to Iowa — another example of bad behavior.

Anyone know how much they raise? There is a reason they’re opaque and disclose nothing.

I can find more. You asked for examples. They cast a negative light and they just put up with it. Most are starting to move away from them. They also haven’t opened up the books like they promised. I get it. You like 5th grade humor. I’m stating my opinion that is shared by many and that opinion is growing. @Cavanagh

I don't know what a MAJOR VIOLATION is... but .... I do know that a MAJOR
AWARD looks like this....

fox tv GIF by A Christmas Story Live

My comment was related to athletic departments and coaches having final say of who gets how much NIL money and under what terms and conditions. I'm guessing that the board of trustees or some commission appointed by the board of trustees must approve these ridiculous coaching contracts as well as NILl money deals.

Does anybody think that some alumni is going to give $30,000 or $1 million in NIL money to a kid that has not been green lighted by the athletic department? Imagine an alumni giving a kid a million dollars and then independently finding out that the coaching staff has no intention of this guy ever seen the field. I can't imagine that these so-called independent deals are not signed off by the University.

Well, the way I understand it, the university has nothing to do with NIL deals. Coaches are not supposed talk to a recruit about NIL. The university can't put money into an NIL.

How does this end? Better or worse than now?
The NCAA, IMO hasn't been an effective for years but the old saying comes to mind.
Be careful what you wish for!
One thing is for sure college athletics especially football will never be the same. It will drag basketball with it probably because it’s the second largest revenue maker. It’s looking like the 2 main mega conferences is coming. The ACC is obviously next.

Right now every Power 5 school has a few NIL organizations they're working with. I believe in the short-term, meaning the next 2-5 years, a small percentage of NIL's will succeed while the majority will fail. The large fish will be swallowing the small ones to the point where a handful of NIL's will control the majority of money being allocated.... and not just for one school.... Much like the Dot com craze it could get uglier than anyone's imagined for the have-nots...
Just like it use to be in the SMU days where the death penalty was enforced to get them out of the way of Texas, Oklahoma, Texas AM et al

Curiosity: What is the going rate of OL and DL men. Seems a lot of them in the portal all seem to be heading to
the SEC or just transferring to other schools within their current conference that are constantly near the top of their respective conferences.
I always thought a free education was payment enough.

Y'all see this
Top 10 "NIL" Paid College Football Players

Tennessee

1. QB Shedeur Sanders
$4.7 million
Colorado
2. QB Arch Manning
$2.8 million Texas
3. CB Travis Hunter
$2.3 million
Colorado
4. QB Quinn Ewers
$1.9 million Texas
5. QB Jalen Milroe
$1.6 million Alabama
6. QB Carson Beck
$1.5 million
Georgia
7. WR Evan Stewart
$1.4 million Oregon
8. QB Jason Dart
$1.4 million Ole
Miss
9. QB Dillion Gabriel
$1.3 million Oregon
10. QB Nico lamaleava $1.2 million

Y'all see this
Top 10 "NIL" Paid College Football Players

Tennessee

1. QB Shedeur Sanders
$4.7 million
Colorado
2. QB Arch Manning
$2.8 million Texas
3. CB Travis Hunter
$2.3 million
Colorado
4. QB Quinn Ewers
$1.9 million Texas
5. QB Jalen Milroe
$1.6 million Alabama
6. QB Carson Beck
$1.5 million
Georgia
7. WR Evan Stewart
$1.4 million Oregon
8. QB Jason Dart
$1.4 million Ole
Miss
9. QB Dillion Gabriel
$1.3 million Oregon
10. QB Nico lamaleava $1.2 million
Probably miss a lot of classes making that kind of money!!

Well, it is the SEC. If you are not cheating then you are not trying.

• Haha
Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT