ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Seriously? We have a preseason 1st team AA and nobody was expecting to be 1 of 68 freaking teams? Are you joking?
I mean I think we all knew that there was a chance of making the tournament but after watching a better starting 5 from IU last year come up short, I doubt very many thought it was automatic.

I mean I think we all knew that there was a chance of making the tournament but after watching a better starting 5 from IU last year come up short, I doubt very many thought it was automatic.
Are you saying that coming into this season that fans expected our starting 5 to be worse than last years starting 5?

I thought expectations were sky high for X, Parker and Kopp. It seemed that people here felt that the roster was significantly improved over last year despite losing Durham, Franklin and Hunter .

Reactions: DANC
Are you saying that coming into this season that fans expected our starting 5 to be worse than last years starting 5?

I thought expectations were sky high for X, Parker and Kopp. It seemed that people here felt that the roster was significantly improved over last year despite losing Durham, Franklin and Hunter .
you are correct. that was the absolute consensus. I drank the KoolAid along with most here.

Seriously? We have a preseason 1st team AA and nobody was expecting to be 1 of 68 freaking teams? Are you joking?
Yes, considering we didn't have any players that played in Woodson's system or any starting guard that played a minute for IU. I think the only reason we're having this conversation is because all of the transfers and a very young Lander decided to break curfew. I could care less if Woodson enforcing rules causes us to miss the NCAA tournament. It was the right thing to do and enforces discipline.

We should easily be in the tournament this year. Heck Archie probably had us in 2 years ago with a much worse roster before the China virus hit.

Reactions: SoccerSammy

Oh I think a lot of us hoped this roster would be an upgrade. It didn’t take long before the realization set in that we were worse at 2 of 5 starting positions though.

i guess that is my point. I am sure some people believe that this team underachieved this season. Imo looking at our roster from a more logical standpoint the tournament should have never been a given. We had the same AA with a better supporting cast last year and didn’t make it.

That’s why I don’t understand the frustration at our coach. He has a roster that is worse than last years, which did not make the tournament and if we don’t this year he has somehow failed and doesn’t know what he is doing? Just doesn’t make sense to me. I think if anything watching this team play (personally knowing that Woody is a good coach with a great staff) I now believe that last season wasn’t all on Archie. Maybe he was better than some of us thought. Maybe these players, AA included, aren’t all they are cracked up to be and should shoulder some of the blame.

I am just not calling for yet another coaches head for not making the tournament in year 1 with a worse roster than the one that won 44% of their games last year.

Reactions: oldcougar77
We should easily be in the tournament this year. Heck Archie probably had us in 2 years ago with a much worse roster before the China virus hit.
You think that a line up with
TJD
Justin Smith
Durham
Green
Rob
And a bench with
Brunk
De’Ron Davis
Franklin
Race
Hunter

Was worse than what we have now?

I believe that roster is significantly better than what we have now.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Oh I think a lot of us hoped this roster would be an upgrade. It didn’t take long before the realization set in that we were worse at 2 of 5 starting positions though.

i guess that is my point. I am sure some people believe that this team underachieved this season. Imo looking at our roster from a more logical standpoint the tournament should have never been a given. We had the same AA with a better supporting cast last year and didn’t make it.

That’s why I don’t understand the frustration at our coach. He has a roster that is worse than last years, which did not make the tournament and if we don’t this year he has somehow failed and doesn’t know what he is doing? Just doesn’t make sense to me. I think if anything watching this team play (personally knowing that Woody is a good coach with a great staff) I now believe that last season wasn’t all on Archie. Maybe he was better than some of us thought. Maybe these players, AA included, aren’t all they are cracked up to be and should shoulder some of the blame.

I am just not calling for yet another coaches head for not making the tournament in year 1 with a worse roster than the one that won 44% of their games last year.
You got it he was left with a mess. Give him three years to get his own players in here. These are archie players right now. People expected woodson to be a miracle worker with very flawed players. This is all on the players.

I got you.

just to clarify I’m not calling for our coaches head. Whether we overachieve or underachieve this season, only time will tell what we have with this staff.

i don’t think we can compare this season to last years on a winning percentage basis. Last year had non conference games trimmed from it (it was a shorter season, more heavily skewed towards conference games), plus the league was much better.

So correct nobody did expect an ncaa bid. This team has overachieved and the NIt is going to be alot of fun. You are spot on.
You’re being deliberately dumb, aren’t you? It’s “a lot,” not “alot.” It’s also “NIT,” but IU is more likely to be in the NCAA tournament.

I got you.

just to clarify I’m not calling for our coaches head. Whether we overachieve or underachieve this season, only time will tell what we have with this staff.

i don’t think we can compare this season to last years on a winning percentage basis. Last year had non conference games trimmed from it (it was a shorter season, more heavily skewed towards conference games), plus the league was much better.
Agree, but we would have to lose the rest of our games this year in conference because we have already matched last years 7 wins. So even one more win is at least marginal improvement with imo a worse roster.

You got it he was left with a mess. Give him three years to get his own players in here. These are archie players right now. People expected woodson to be a miracle worker with very flawed players. This is all on the players.
I’m agreeing with bailey777!

Yes, Woodson’s coaching strategy was only going to be successful if the guys shooting 3’s could hit their shots, hence the reason why Kopp and Stewart never left the starting lineup. Well, they couldn’t hit and it made TJD’s job a lot tougher. In order to play the inside/out game requires shooters and hopefully next years newcomers will have just that.

Should be interesting to see how Woodson approaches the portal this summer and who is kept from this squad. It’s a long shot, but if things break just right they should be better offensively next season.

Yes, Woodson’s coaching strategy was only going to be successful if the guys shooting 3’s could hit their shots, hence the reason why Kopp and Stewart never left the starting lineup. Well, they couldn’t hit and it made TJD’s job a lot tougher. In order to play the inside/out game requires shooters and hopefully next years newcomers will have just that.

Should be interesting to see how Woodson approaches the portal this summer and who is kept from this squad. It’s a long shot, but if things break just right they should be better offensively next season.
they'd better be or a lot of board members will have to look up the work apoplectic next year

What? Kopp and Stewart hit what they get. It’s the others that don’t. Completely different team if Trey, Race, Rob and X hit. But they are so inconsistent. Notice Trey and Race take them still.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT