ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

For IU to be competitive next year, they are going to have to hit the portal hard this spring. Hopefully, they can be on the good side of this list next year. By the way, a new word to get to know- portaling. I know IU fans are not good at change and all.
I have a feeling we’re going to have a lot of guys portaling out. Could be a good thing though.

Herbert bears a lot of the blame for the mess we've been in. And...that's all I got to say 'bout that.
Sure he does but we have had several chance to fix it and have made poor hires both times. Crean was a better hire than archie but just too up and down.

For IU to be competitive next year, they are going to have to hit the portal hard this spring. Hopefully, they can be on the good side of this list next year. By the way, a new word to get to know- portaling. I know IU fans are not good at change and all.
We may be looking to fill five or six spots possibly. We lose likely a minimum of six guys and bring in three. So already we have three spots to fill and my guess is several more transfer as well. My guess is we will have a minimum of four open spots this spring.

One thing is clear though it seems we need to get guys from winning programs. All the current players came from losing programs. As af far as being competitive next year not sure how possible it is but to avoid being in the bottom four we certainly have to hit the portal hard.

We may be looking to fill five or six spots possibly. We lose likely a minimum of six guys and bring in three. So already we have three spots to fill and my guess is several more transfer as well. My guess is we will have a minimum of four open spots this spring.

One thing is clear though it seems we need to get guys from winning programs. All the current players came from losing programs. As af far as being competitive next year not sure how possible it is but to avoid being in the bottom four we certainly have to hit the portal hard.
How do you figure we lose “likely a minimum of six guys”?

It’s my understanding everyone is eligible to come back. I’m not saying you are wrong, but how did you come up with that?

It’s my understanding everyone is eligible to come back. I’m not saying you are wrong, but how did you come up with that?
I have a difficult time finding 6 as well. Personally I think TJD, Kopp, and Stewart are gone. The others who are possibilities are Race, Durr, Rob and X. It’s hard for me to imagine 3 of those leaving. I would expect our coaching staff will try to keep all 4 if possible.

I have a difficult time finding 6 as well. Personally I think TJD, Kopp, and Stewart are gone. The others who are possibilities are Race, Durr, Rob and X. It’s hard for me to imagine 3 of those leaving. I would expect our coaching staff will try to keep all 4 if possible.
I’d keep Race, Rob, TG, Leal, and maybe Tamar due to his potential and give everyone else the boot. A house cleaning is in order.

I’d keep Race, Rob, TG, Leal, and maybe Tamar due to his potential and give everyone else the boot. A house cleaning is in order.
I do like the 5 you kept for sure but this late I just don’t know if you can replace 7. As we found out this year the portal can be a crap shoot. I certainly would probably add Geronimo and Duncomb to the keep list. Then add the 3 recruits and go try to find 2 more.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

I will tell you how.

TJD- almost certainly gone
Race- likely gone would be his sixth year and have read its not likely he comes back
Xavier- gone
Kopp- gone
Stewart - gone and two suspensions to no thanks on a return
Rob- likely gone but maybe comes back
Durr- should be gone or not asked back after two suspensions
Lander - good chance he transfers
Logan- possible transfer
Leal- who knows probably back

So we could possible lose up to 10 but likely more like 7 or 8 players. So maybe I waas off one but if you lose 8 you will need 5 new players to hit 13.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
That's a bit of a copout. PUR has 11 players from Indiana on their roster. Doesn't seem to be hurting them.

The problem isn't the class system--it's that the players they have from Indiana are much better than the ones we have from Indiana.
True, but I think you would agree that without the Canadian and the Chicagoan, they would be average at best.

True, but I think you would agree that without the Canadian and the Chicagoan, they would be average at best.
Personally, if a guy can play I wouldn’t care if he was from Mars.

Painter has proven his worth as a head coach. I think they’d be fine.

It really doesn’t change the point—you need talent *and* a tactician to succeed. PUR for the most part has that. IND for the most part doesn’t.

If things don’t turnaround…some damn how… then we’re gonna lose 3-4 out of our last 5. And miss the NCAA. And When/if that happens…we’ll lose a lot of kids off the current roster.

Impossible to predict how good we’ll be next year because our roster could be completely different.

If Bates comes back. He and Galloway could combine with JHS to form a solid backcourt. But we still won’t be able to shoot the ball. And we likely won’t have as good a front court as we do now.

If we don’t hit the transfer lottery, I’d guess we’ll be worse next year than we are this year.
What is the transfer lottery? Is that when Big Ten coaches go out and pick league POY from other teams while IU takes Evan Fitzner and Evan Gordon? How about calling it what it is: either you can evaluate basketball talent or you can't. It isn't luck.

Very obvious next year will be a dumpster fire. I can envision less than ten wins all year. I hate saying it, but why would any decent recruit ever want to play for IU. No tourney appearances in past 5 years, six by next year. Terrible offensive schemes and a coach who is approaching retirement age. All those will scare off any top notch recruits. IU is the Nebraska of football, a glorious past but dismal future.

Last edited:
Reactions: birdforbogey
Very obvious next year will be a dumpster fire. I can envision less than ten wins all year. I hate saying it, but why would any decent recruit ever want to play for IU. No tourney appearances in past 5 years, six by next year. Terrible offensive schemes and a coach who is approaching retirement age. All those will scare off any top notch recruits. IU is the Nebraska of football, a glorious past but dismal future.
I didn’t think anybody could be more pessimistic than Bailey. You, my friend, however, have proven me wrong!!

One thing is clear though it seems we need to get guys from winning programs. All the current players came from losing programs.
How many guys from winning programs are in the tranfer portal? I mean I really don't know, but seems to me it would be mostly unhappy players looking for greener pastures.

Reactions: kmathum
Iu will win 30 games next year. All is well

• Haha
Reactions: SoccerSammy
Yep there is no way with the same coach we have this year and not making the tournament the last 5 years we would ever lane 2 top 25 recruits. Wait, didn’t we just do that?

10 wins lol. You guys are funny.

Yep there is no way with the same coach we have this year and not making the tournament the last 5 years we would ever lane 2 top 25 recruits. Wait, didn’t we just do that?

10 wins lol. You guys are funny.
It won’t be a dumpster fire. Probably very similar to this year. But that’s just me in my “this year is over” annual depression mode. Next fall I’ve have false hope again

I will tell you how.

TJD- almost certainly gone
Race- likely gone would be his sixth year and have read its not likely he comes back
Xavier- gone
Kopp- gone
Stewart - gone and two suspensions to no thanks on a return
Rob- likely gone but maybe comes back
Durr- should be gone or not asked back after two suspensions
Lander - good chance he transfers
Logan- possible transfer
Leal- who knows probably back

So we could possible lose up to 10 but likely more like 7 or 8 players. So maybe I waas off one but if you lose 8 you will need 5 new players to hit 13.
You are that “dealer? Give me 6 cards” type ehhh?

I didn’t think anybody could be more pessimistic than Bailey. You, my friend, however, have proven me wrong!!
You call it pessimism, I call it the truth. Where Maryland, Minnesota, and Nebraska are this year is where IU will be next year. It will be bad, not happy about it just realistic.

You call it pessimism, I call it the truth. Where Maryland, Minnesota, and Nebraska are this year is where IU will be next year. It will be bad, not happy about it just realistic.
I gave sammy what he wanted and will be nothing but 100% positive the rest of the year. I will find good even in a loss and so on.

I gave sammy what he wanted and will be nothing but 100% positive the rest of the year. I will find good even in a loss and so on.
Good for you, unfortunately I can't do that. I gotta keep it real. If IU plays well, then I am the first to congratulate, but if they stink it up, then I am gonna say that as well. I really enjoy watching Hoosier women, they don't win them all, but feel the give 100% every game. They are fun to watch win or lose. Watching the men's team is like getting a root canal. I was optimistic after the Purdue win, but losing that next game at home to Michigan showed me nothing is different this year from past 5 years. Here we sit under .500 in B1G , four game losing streak, finish 10th in B1G, and miss the NCAA tourney. How is this any better or different than last 5 years plus?

Good for you, unfortunately I can't do that. I gotta keep it real. If IU plays well, then I am the first to congratulate, but if they stink it up, then I am gonna say that as well. I really enjoy watching Hoosier women, they don't win them all, but feel the give 100% every game. They are fun to watch win or lose. Watching the men's team is like getting a root canal. I was optimistic after the Purdue win, but losing that next game at home to Michigan showed me nothing is different this year from past 5 years. Here we sit under .500 in B1G , four game losing streak, finish 10th in B1G, and miss the NCAA tourney. How is this any better or different than last 5 years plus?
It's not just hope Woodson has what it takes to get better results starting next year or for sure year 3.

That's rarely going to happen though and why would a good player on a good team want to transfer unless they have an attitude problem or something odd going on in life. I'd far more trust taking good player from a bad team on the notion that they just want to win more

Haha. Was being sarcastic. You take a lot of shit on these boards but you’ve been more spot on then the rainbow and lollipop crowd

Reactions: IndyGlen
Herbert bears a lot of the blame for the mess we've been in. And...that's all I got to say 'bout that.
I'll say for you what others think. Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) is what drags this country down, favoring particular races and genders over possibly better qualified individuals, all in the name of DEI fulfillment. DEI in itself is racist in nature. Hiring a known cheater of checkered because of the heavy influence of a minority demanding another minority hire. Was Sampson the most highly qualified coach available for a basketball program of Indiana's stature? I imagine Herbert was pissed at the Davis firing, so pushed for the "Pocahontas" hiring. Other trustees felt the need to "tread lightly," in case his toes were stepped on. In other words, they caved in to his influence bestowed upon him in the same way. Six straight seasons without being invited to the NCAA tournament and you thought Bob was bad. College basketball fans across the country haven't stopped laughing.

Reactions: DANC

This to me may be the key to understanding things.

if you look at this link you will see that “portaling” is an important ingredient for teams. But, you can be a great program and still strike out. You can see the winners list and note the correlation to on court success, but more interesting is to see programs like UNC, KU and Texas mentioned as losers. Sometimes it’s a case of getting hurt by losing players, but it’s clear that even great programs can think that they hit the portal lottery and it doesn’t pan out.

just as importantly, the day and age of stability and continuity is gone. We have three new starters this year that may each play only a year (who knows). And ironically it may be how much they contribute as being a factor in if they come back.

In other words, do well portaling and it probably helps with stability, continuity and planning. Bomb out, and it could lead to programs seeing a mass exodus and rinse repeat, instability, chaos and a scramble to band aide the roster.

as for IU, imho how we finish the year will impact significantly our roster for next year. Winning is more fun.

What is the transfer lottery? Is that when Big Ten coaches go out and pick league POY from other teams while IU takes Evan Fitzner and Evan Gordon? How about calling it what it is: either you can evaluate basketball talent or you can't. It isn't luck.
The transfer lottery is equivalent to IU better be doing some big-time portaling this spring.

Reactions: bailey777
I'll say for you what others think. Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) is what drags this country down, favoring particular races and genders over possibly better qualified individuals, all in the name of DEI fulfillment. DEI in itself is racist in nature. Hiring a known cheater of checkered because of the heavy influence of a minority demanding another minority hire. Was Sampson the most highly qualified coach available for a basketball program of Indiana's stature? I imagine Herbert was pissed at the Davis firing, so pushed for the "Pocahontas" hiring. Other trustees felt the need to "tread lightly," in case his toes were stepped on. In other words, they caved in to his influence bestowed upon him in the same way. Six straight seasons without being invited to the NCAA tournament and you thought Bob was bad. College basketball fans across the country haven't stopped laughing.
thank you. Simple hiring practices, if you put on blinders that prohibit you from seeing the entire field, chances are you're not going to see- or hire - the best person for the job.

There are none coming. Maybe in 2023.
LMAO, you don't follow recruiting, do you? CJ Gunn and JHS are both SGs. One just dropped 30 on Pike and the other is a five star that's shooting 45% from beyond the arc.

Additionally, I don't think anyone that was honest and realistic expected a NCAA tournament spot and barring a complete colapse, there will be one.

LMAO, you don't follow recruiting, do you? CJ Gunn and JHS are both SGs. One just dropped 30 on Pike and the other is a five star that's shooting 45% from beyond the arc.

Additionally, I don't think anyone that was honest and realistic expected a NCAA tournament spot and barring a complete colapse, there will be one.
Seriously? We have a preseason 1st team AA and nobody was expecting to be 1 of 68 freaking teams? Are you joking?

Wrong I do and have changed my tune Gunn is a stud day one instant impact player. Way way way underranked Maybe not a starter but 25 minutes plus per game next year. Could be the best frosh backcourt duo in the country

So correct nobody did expect an ncaa bid. This team has overachieved and the NIt is going to be alot of fun. You are spot on.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT