ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

keep in mind CMW isnt getting any younger! Not sure how much longer hes gonna last before hes wanting to retire!

Reactions: maegh
I know some are incredibly high on woodson but boy I am having a hard time seeing how anything gets better next year. This program needed the ncaa this year in the worst way this year yet here we are again.
If things don’t turnaround…some damn how… then we’re gonna lose 3-4 out of our last 5. And miss the NCAA. And When/if that happens…we’ll lose a lot of kids off the current roster.

Impossible to predict how good we’ll be next year because our roster could be completely different.

If Bates comes back. He and Galloway could combine with JHS to form a solid backcourt. But we still won’t be able to shoot the ball. And we likely won’t have as good a front court as we do now.

If we don’t hit the transfer lottery, I’d guess we’ll be worse next year than we are this year.

If things don’t turnaround…some damn how… then we’re gonna lose 3-4 out of our last 5. And miss the NCAA. And When/if that happens…we’ll lose a lot of kids off the current roster.

Impossible to predict how good we’ll be next year because our roster could be completely different.

If Bates comes back. He and Galloway could combine with JHS to form a solid backcourt. But we still won’t be able to shoot the ball. And we likely won’t have as good a front court as we do now.

If we don’t hit the transfer lottery, I’d guess we’ll be worse next year than we are this year.
I dont see any three point shooters for next year barring some amazing grad transfer. Woodson will get his four years but if there is no progress by mid next year my guess is most fans will check out. Seems some already are likely because we have been bad so long now they just dont care that much anymore. And they are becoming less invested each year.

I know some are incredibly high on woodson but boy I am having a hard time seeing how anything gets better next year. This program needed the ncaa this year in the worst way this year yet here we are again.
You have a hard time seeing it get better than Xavier Johnson, Parker Stewart, and Miller Kopp? Lander, Bates, Galloway, Hood-Shifino, and Leal

You have a hard time seeing it get better than Xavier Johnson, Parker Stewart, and Miller Kopp? Lander, Bates, Galloway, Hood-Shifino, and Leal

Lander and Leal are in their 2nd season... and both still look completely out of their league. Bates has shown zero in conference play.

I can recall the days when people couldn't wait for Parker to be eligible to play. Now he sucks and it's the revolving door looking for the next fix.

Lander and Leal are in their 2nd season... and both still look completely out of their league. Bates has shown zero in conference play.

I can recall the days when people couldn't wait for Parker to be eligible to play. Now he sucks and it's the revolving door looking for the next fix.
Leal projects as a bench guy, but Lander and Bates are freshman. I don’t see it as overly optimistic to get excited about three five star guards (Lander, Bates, Hood-Shifino) developing under Woodson at Indiana.

Last edited:
I dont see any three point shooters for next year barring some amazing grad transfer. Woodson will get his four years but if there is no progress by mid next year my guess is most fans will check out. Seems some already are likely because we have been bad so long now they just dont care that much anymore. And they are becoming less invested each year.

I’m sure some of us will be cheering on and over hyping 30% shooters from bad power five schools, much like we did this year.

Reactions: bailey777
Two late timeouts to set up a play. Nothing out of either one. Couldn’t even figure out what they were trying to do. Woodson’s X’s and O’s have not been impressive.

Leal projects as a bench guy, but Lander and Bates are freshman. I don’t see it as overly optimistic to get excited about three five star guards (Lander, Bates, Hood-Shifino) developing under Woodson at Indiana.

Lander is not a 5 star guard.... that's laughable. Maybe some drunk recruiting service put him there at one point.... but I'm not sure he's much more than a mid-major level player. I also don't expect he'll be back next year. He is miles away from being a B1G level starting PG. Way too small and does nothing particularly well.

Bates is having a kid and seems clueless on the floor. He's at least shown some talent better than Lander.

And then we've got a true freshman. Who knows there. The last true freshman guard that was good enough to impact the game was who....Yogi?

Last edited:
Lander is not a 5 star guard.... that's laughable. Maybe some drunk recruiting service put him there at one point.... but I'm not sure he's much more than a mid-major level player. I also don't expect he'll be back next year. He is miles away from being a B1G level starting PG. Way too small and does nothing particularly well.

Bates is having a kid and seems clueless on the floor. He's at least shown some talent better than Lander.

And then we've got a true freshman. Who knows there. The last true freshman guard that was good enough to impact the game was who....Yogi?
Criticizes the freshmen for not playing well then tempers expectations for incoming freshmen.

I have lived in Florida for twenty two years but remain a die hard Hoosier fan. I still contend that getting rid of one class high school basketball was an enormous mistake and a contributing factor to why the state is producing fewer great or even fewer good players. But yet, the IU fan base in Indiana still insists that IU recruit the best kids in the state including Mr. Basketball. Well, how has that panned out recently? I could name names but we all know who these kids were and are. Until our fans and coaches realize that there are great players in other states, it is perfectly Okay to ignore Indiana Mr. Basketballs and bring in better players from other places.

TJD is overrated and when did Race Thompson become irreplaceable? The whole story changes if we get someone like KJ Evans. The future is bright because we have a coach.
TJD overrated....debatable. But without him we get blown out last night. And I mean, seriously blown out. On our home court. Again.

When did Race become irreplaceable? This season. He went to the bench at the 4 min mark first half with his 2nd foul. Game flipped immediately. He's the glue guy on this team. If anything he's become underated.

Lander and Bates might have been 5 star AAU players, but they're boys among MEN in the B1G.

And I'll never believe the answer to all of our problems in landing a One and Done. Because....we've tried that several times (Romeo....Vonleh...hell even EG) and it did not right any ship here. Just a 5 month band aid that might get you a couple more wins. For one season only. Then they're gone.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Teams will maul IU down low in the paint and the guards aren't stopping anyone. Better hope Schifino-Hood is better than what IU has already. Gonna remind me of Nebraska this year.

Teams will maul IU down low in the paint and the guards aren't stopping anyone. Better hope Schifino-Hood is better than what IU has already. Gonna remind me of Nebraska this year.
Why I so hoped we could make the tourney this year without going six and likely seven years without making it. Here is what I see coming back as of now and I dont see a three point shooter on the whole team or a legit post player.

Lander ?

Logan ?

Geronimo

Leal

Galloway

Bates

Hood

Banks

Gunn

TJD overrated....debatable. But without him we get blown out last night. And I mean, seriously blown out. On our home court. Again.

When did Race become irreplaceable? This season. He went to the bench at the 4 min mark first half with his 2nd foul. Game flipped immediately. He's the glue guy on this team. If anything he's become underated.

Lander and Bates might have been 5 star AAU players, but they're boys among MEN in the B1G.

And I'll never believe the answer to all of our problems in landing a One and Done. Because....we've tried that several times (Romeo....Vonleh...hell even EG) and it did not right any ship here. Just a 5 month band aid that might get you a couple more wins. For one season only. Then they're gone.
I still laugh when people say TJD is overrated. Lets see how we do up front next year without him and Race. I think alot of the guys on this board will be eating tons of crow. Without those two players we would be lucky have to have 3 big ten wins max.

Lets see
Race/ TJD

Next Year

Geronimo/ Duncomb

Give me a break if anyone thinks that front court will be anything close what we have now.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I still laugh when people say TJD is overrated. Lets see how we do up front next year without him and Race. I think alot of the guys on this board will be eating tons of crow. Without those two players we would be lucky have to have 3 big ten wins max.

Lets see
Race/ TJD

Next Year

Geronimo/ Duncomb

Give me a break if anyone thinks that front court will be anything close what we have now.
well considering TJD/Race get about 60 percent of our rebounds and 35-50% of our points, and we don't have any high rated centers or power forwards coming in....yeah, losing them is going to create a crater in an already struggling offense.

Don't have any idea of their plans after May. I'm sure TJD is still hanging on to the NBA dream. I think Race could be making six digits in Europe next year if he wants.

well considering TJD/Race get about 60 percent of our rebounds and 35-50% of our points, and we don't have any high rated centers or power forwards coming in....yeah, losing them is going to create a crater in an already struggling offense.

Don't have any idea of their plans after May. I'm sure TJD is still hanging on to the NBA dream. I think Race could be making six digits in Europe next year if he wants.
I think the difference between finishing in the bottom four or five hinges on one of those two coming back. But I think that is unlikley and to me it looks like a lower big ten finish. I think we will lose a good 80% of our scoring though I could be off a little on that.

Without hitting the transfer lottery we’re taking a monumental step back next year. I’ve been saying it all season. We needed a successful year so bad for momentum. Another disaster season next year and the Woodson era is over before it ever gets started.
It’s a massive problem especially when you hire a guy that most of the fan base didn’t want. Of all the realistic hires being mentioned when we fired Archie I’d say that Woody and Beilein were easily at the bottom of most everyone’s list. When you make a hire like that he’d better win and right away.

Without hitting the transfer lottery we’re taking a monumental step back next year. I’ve been saying it all season. We needed a successful year so bad for momentum. Another disaster season next year and the Woodson era is over before it ever gets started.
I would have to agree you simply cannot go seven years without making the NCAA tourney and expect any momentum or have it not adversely effect recruiting. Coaches will be like why would you want to go to IU they cannot ever make the NCAA tourney. Like the guys on Assembly Call have been saying it was basically a must for Woodson to make the tourney this year to get momentum and excitement going with the program. We were sold that it was going to be different this time around. And like you said it would be almost impossible to sell the program going forward if next year is a dumpster fire.

It’s a massive problem especially when you hire a guy that most of the fan base didn’t want. Of all the realistic hires being mentioned when we fired Archie I’d say that Woody and Beilein were easily at the bottom of most everyone’s list. When you make a hire like that he’d better win and right away.
When I saw his name on the coaching list I thought it was a joke or just there to appease the old brass of grey hairs and former players. I never in a million years thought we would hire him given he had zero college experience and this is likely our last crack at getting this right . I though Beilein was likely the fall back if we could not get anyone else younger with a good college track record . I though beilein at least had the track record and credentials to get the program moving for three or four years before he maybe retired. I have tried hard to convince myself Woodson will work out given they hired all these good coaches around him. So far it is not working out and it just feels like the same old same old.

I still contend that getting rid of one class high school basketball was an enormous mistake and a contributing factor to why the state is producing fewer great or even fewer good players. But yet, the IU fan base in Indiana still insists that IU recruit the best kids in the state including Mr. Basketball. Well, how has that panned out recently? I could name names but we all know who these kids were and are. Until our fans and coaches realize that there are great players in other states, it is perfectly Okay to ignore Indiana Mr. Basketballs and bring in better players from other places.
That's a bit of a copout. PUR has 11 players from Indiana on their roster. Doesn't seem to be hurting them.

The problem isn't the class system--it's that the players they have from Indiana are much better than the ones we have from Indiana.

When I saw his name on the coaching list I thought it was a joke or just there to appease the old brass of grey hairs and former players. I never in a million years thought we would hire him given he had zero college experience and this is likely our last crack at getting this right . I though Beilein was likely the fall back if we could not get anyone else younger with a good college track record . I though beilein at least had the track record and credentials to get the program moving for three or four years before he maybe retired. I have tried hard to convince myself Woodson will work out given they hired all these good coaches around him. So far it is not working out and it just feels like the same old same old.
The problem with Beilein is that he’s a system coach and none of our players fit his system. He’s also pushing 70. He would’ve been a worse hire than Woody imo just because of his age. Pitino, Pearl, Drew, etc were all guys who would’ve won right away.

Why would Beilein have been at the bottom of your list? You ever seen his offenses at Michigan?

Reactions: kkott
The problem with Beilein is that he’s a system coach and none of our players fit his system. He’s also pushing 70. He would’ve been a worse hire than Woody imo just because of his age. Pitino, Pearl, Drew, etc were all guys who would’ve won right away.
Word was Drew would have been very interested in the job. But noooo we are holier than thou so we cannot touch him! Best to lose I guess and say but hey we are clean at least.

Not exactly like Woodson is young either. I have never heard of a somebody hiring a coach to college at age 63 with zero college experience. Howard is 48 and was in the fab five and is way more well know to recruites than woodson ever would be. There is a reason Howard is getting all these fiver star recruits.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
Why would Beilein have been at the bottom of your list? You ever seen his offenses at Michigan?
He’s nearly 70 and probably would’ve needed 4 years to get his system in place. Also, his thugs comment whether fair or not would’ve made it nearly impossible to recruit black players. For what it’s worth he was my first choice when we fired Davis but he didn’t fit the profile that Adam Herbert required.

Do we not need immediate help next year? This guy sounds like a maybe in a few years type of player. The late bloomers usually do not ever seem to pan out at least not for a few years.

Indiana hosted a late blooming class of 2022 guard for its game against Wisconsin on Tuesday. Quaker Valley (Pa.) guard Adou Thiero made the trip to Bloomington for an unofficial visit.

Thiero is a 6-foot-6 guard who is averaging 25.1 points, 9.3 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 4.0 steals per game helping lead Quaker Valley to a 20-0 record this season. Thiero scored 44 points back in early January to break the school’s single-game scoring record of 43 points back in 1980.

After growing five inches in the past year, Thiero is now hearing from multiple high-major programs, Indiana included. Cincinnati, Memphis, Robert Morris, UTEP and Elon are some additional schools reaching out.

Last edited:

For IU to be competitive next year, they are going to have to hit the portal hard this spring. Hopefully, they can be on the good side of this list next year. By the way, a new word to get to know- portaling. I know IU fans are not good at change and all.

Reactions: .Gerdis
He’s nearly 70 and probably would’ve needed 4 years to get his system in place. Also, his thugs comment whether fair or not would’ve made it nearly impossible to recruit black players. For what it’s worth he was my first choice when we fired Davis but he didn’t fit the profile that Adam Herbert required.
Herbert bears a lot of the blame for the mess we've been in. And...that's all I got to say 'bout that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT