ADVERTISEMENT

Next two weeks impact on NET/NCAA

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
As of today, we have a NET ranking of 36

We have 4 games through the next two weekends...

-at Maryland...NET ranking in 90's, so its a Quad 2 opportunity, since its a road game. If we win, I would think that'll push us up to 30ish. If we lose, it'll drop us down into the mid 40s again.

-Illinois...NET ranking in the teens, so it'll be a Quad 1 unless they lose 2 games between now and then, and drop below 30NET ranking. If we win at Maryland, and win this game, we'll probably jump up to 25ish range. If we lose at Maryland, and win this game, it'll push us back up into the mid/upper 30's. If we lose both, down into the 50's.

-at Northwestern...they're currently 76 NET ranking. If they win a 2 out of the 3 games they have between now and our game, it'll be a Quad 1 opportunity. Probably our best Quad 1 road opportunity left on the schedule. If we win both the previous games, and win this one...we'll push for top 20 NET. If we lose all 3, probably looking 60's NET ranking.

-at MSU...this will be a high Quad 1 road game, in all likelihood. It won't hurt us much if we lose, probably help our NET no matter what. If we were to happen to win all 3 games prior, and this one...we'd be pushing cracking top 15 in NET. If we lose all 4 games, it'll be in the 60s still probably.

My best guess, is Loss, Win, Loss, Loss...So sequentially, that'd be roughly...36 to mid 40's to upper 30s to low 40s to low 40s.

Winning the next 3 is absolutely possible. If we did that, and lost at MSU...we'd be sitting at 9-5 in B10, and probably a NET ranking in the low 20's. Which would essentially lock us into the tournament, barring an epic collapse coming home.

Just some random thoughts on a slow day. The only thing good about the NET rankings, is it makes it easy to project and think about how the NCAA scenarios will play out.

Obliged for the analysis but don't see IU dropping 3 of the next 4 games - need a split at very least and can't start grinning unless they do better...

Reactions: TomEric4756
Obliged for the analysis but don't see IU dropping 3 of the next 4 games - need a split at very least and can't start grinning unless they do better...
Kind of agree in principle...but then I remember that 2-2 implies either beating 2 good teams on the road, or 1 good team on the road and a top 20 team at home. Maryland's entire resume doesn't scream that they're good. But their play of late does. And then the other 3 are just really tough games. Gotta beat Illinois!

Reactions: Pryght
As of today, we have a NET ranking of 36

We have 4 games through the next two weekends...

-at Maryland...NET ranking in 90's, so its a Quad 2 opportunity, since its a road game. If we win, I would think that'll push us up to 30ish. If we lose, it'll drop us down into the mid 40s again.

-Illinois...NET ranking in the teens, so it'll be a Quad 1 unless they lose 2 games between now and then, and drop below 30NET ranking. If we win at Maryland, and win this game, we'll probably jump up to 25ish range. If we lose at Maryland, and win this game, it'll push us back up into the mid/upper 30's. If we lose both, down into the 50's.

-at Northwestern...they're currently 76 NET ranking. If they win a 2 out of the 3 games they have between now and our game, it'll be a Quad 1 opportunity. Probably our best Quad 1 road opportunity left on the schedule. If we win both the previous games, and win this one...we'll push for top 20 NET. If we lose all 3, probably looking 60's NET ranking.

-at MSU...this will be a high Quad 1 road game, in all likelihood. It won't hurt us much if we lose, probably help our NET no matter what. If we were to happen to win all 3 games prior, and this one...we'd be pushing cracking top 15 in NET. If we lose all 4 games, it'll be in the 60s still probably.

My best guess, is Loss, Win, Loss, Loss...So sequentially, that'd be roughly...36 to mid 40's to upper 30s to low 40s to low 40s.

Winning the next 3 is absolutely possible. If we did that, and lost at MSU...we'd be sitting at 9-5 in B10, and probably a NET ranking in the low 20's. Which would essentially lock us into the tournament, barring an epic collapse coming home.

Just some random thoughts on a slow day. The only thing good about the NET rankings, is it makes it easy to project and think about how the NCAA scenarios will play out.
Thanks, well thought out.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting either way. With a week to prepare for IL I can see the case for 2-0.

On the flip side, the reality is that we are pretty much in the same place we typically have been lately for this point of the season. IU seems improved, but in the back of my mind is Jekyll and Hyde lurking. Can we avoid the bad halves, the clunker games?

I know we can win any remaining game, as even in the year we lost 12 of 13 we won at MSU, the toughest test of that season.

hopefully things are different this season and we can play with some consistency **** down the stretch.

****edit, positive consistency is requested. Losing 6 or 7 straight is playing with consistency I suppose. How about a win streak, VVBG

Last edited:
Kind of agree in principle...but then I remember that 2-2 implies either beating 2 good teams on the road, or 1 good team on the road and a top 20 team at home. Maryland's entire resume doesn't scream that they're good. But their play of late does. And then the other 3 are just really tough games. Gotta beat Illinois!
In Woodson, Yasir, Dane & Kenya we trust. Tim and Clif as well.

If you're not on the Bench you're not on the Court. Not saying he's not 'involved', but it's Woodson's kitchen/rodeo/show - and just as it should be. Ships only have one captain.

Reactions: TomEric4756
He sits right next to Dolson on the floor, next to JD Campbell in the start of the scores table. He is closer to Woody than coach Marshall or Timmmmmmy.

I wish we had a better understanding of Thad's contributions. Not going to lie, I often forget that he is part of the program. I realize that he reports to Dolson, but beyond that, his role seems to be shrouded in mystery.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I wish we had a better understanding of Thad's contributions. Not going to lie, I often forget that he is part of the program. I realize that he reports to Dolson, but beyond that, his role seems to be shrouded in mystery.
He is there every game. After the PU game he asked a security elderly lady outside of the media room how she was doing and if she ever got to go out and watch the games. Walked right by me and didn’t say a word. Good guy.

Reactions: Pryght
He makes pancakes for the Team/Staff on Wednesdays, oversees Security using his Secret Service contacts, and is plotting with Cuban to orchestrate IU's dominion in Hoops.

Most unlikely (i.e., BS), but mystery indeed.

He makes pancakes for the Team/Staff on Wednesdays, oversees Security using his Secret Service contacts, and is plotting with Cuban to orchestrate IU's dominion in Hoops.

Most unlikely (i.e., BS), but mystery indeed.
You forgot he cleans toilets to save money for the assistant coaches salaries.

Update…

Our win did bring us up to 30 in the NET rankings.

With potentially 3 straight Quad 1 games ahead of us, even if we were to lose all 3, we’ll still probably be hovering around a 40 NET ranking. Quad 1 road games, especially as highly ranked as the MSU game will be, often don’t hurt your NET. MSU might raise ours even if we lose.

Get a win or two and we’ll have essentially punched our NCAA ticket.

Reactions: .Gerdis and 4IUSox2
Update…

Our win did bring us up to 30 in the NET rankings.

With potentially 3 straight Quad 1 games ahead of us, even if we were to lose all 3, we’ll still probably be hovering around a 40 NET ranking. Quad 1 road games, especially as highly ranked as the MSU game will be, often don’t hurt your NET. MSU might raise ours even if we lose.

Get a win or two and we’ll have essentially punched our NCAA ticket.
Time to start playing for seeding

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT