ADVERTISEMENT

New starting line ups!!

Feb 10, 2014
We need a change of our starting line up!!! Whatever you may think it’s not working!!! Remember Knight in 1987 when we won the NCAA Championship we had 15 different starting line ups through the year!!! We need that now!!! Our starting line up should be Trace, Race, Xavier, Galloway, and Geronimo!!!! Let’s do that and bring the so called shooters of the bench for a spark!!!

We need a change of our starting line up!!! Whatever you may think it’s not working!!! Remember Knight in 1987 when we won the NCAA Championship we had 15 different starting line ups through the year!!! We need that now!!! Our starting line up should be Trace, Race, Xavier, Galloway, and Geronimo!!!! Let’s do that and bring the so called shooters of the bench for a spark!!!
I know the obvious weakness with the lineup you are suggesting is shooting. No one there who's going to hold defenders out on the floor.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
There are two things common to folks who don't know much about the game: They think that the starting lineup matters, and they always want to talk about "adjustments" at halftime - even though they couldn't tell you specifically what those adjustments need to be with a gun to their head.
Correct, it's about matchups to start the game and straight through it. They change, we change, impose the game play, that is called coaching and if it's not necessary, I'd like to know where our 4-6 million dollars went

I know the obvious weakness with the lineup you are suggesting is shooting. No one there who's going to hold defenders out on the floor.
I understand your point but where's the shooting today? Neither Kopp or Stewart can get a shot off - too slow footed and Trayce can't/won't kick the ball out. There's the dilema. I would give the new lineup a try - what's the harm?

Reactions: kmathum
Correct, it's about matchups to start the game and straight through it. They change, we change, impose the game play, that is called coaching and if it's not necessary, I'd like to know where our 4-6 million dollars went
To start with, the 4-6 million went to the buyout of our last coach, Woodson is reportedly making less then 2 mil. That went to someone who is changing the culture, getting players to play harder, making the players overall better as season goes on (X has cut down on fouls and turnovers, Race is making 3's) making us competitive in the big10. The last few years, by this point, the kids would almost give up and want the season over, don't see that happening. Is everything fixed? No, he still needs better players and now that he has a year of college ball on tape, he can use that to recruit his type of player. People were saying the old "give knight a week to prepare) speech...he may have found a way to beat that team but didn't always win, and wasn't that after a few years he had been at IU and every kid there he recruited and knew what was expected of them, not his 1st yr? The money is well spent and if the problems are obvious to you and I, they are obvious to the coaches. We are WAY better than last year and let's see how the rest of the year goes

To start with, the 4-6 million went to the buyout of our last coach, Woodson is reportedly making less then 2 mil. That went to someone who is changing the culture, getting players to play harder, making the players overall better as season goes on (X has cut down on fouls and turnovers, Race is making 3's) making us competitive in the big10. The last few years, by this point, the kids would almost give up and want the season over, don't see that happening. Is everything fixed? No, he still needs better players and now that he has a year of college ball on tape, he can use that to recruit his type of player. People were saying the old "give knight a week to prepare) speech...he may have found a way to beat that team but didn't always win, and wasn't that after a few years he had been at IU and every kid there he recruited and knew what was expected of them, not his 1st yr? The money is well spent and if the problems are obvious to you and I, they are obvious to the coaches. We are WAY better than last year and let's see how the rest of the year goes
Where did you see that on CMW's salary? I doubt that unless there are a ton of incentives. Seems like any coach of any decent D1 team is now in the $2-3 million range. I just don't see IU paying substantially less than the previous coach or than the market for other B10 coaches.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
It’s 3 mill a year. Pretty average.

There are two things common to folks who don't know much about the game: They think that the starting lineup matters, and they always want to talk about "adjustments" at halftime - even though they couldn't tell you specifically what those adjustments need to be with a gun to their head.
I think it matters a little, only because it doesn't make much sense. Anytime a coach continually does something that doesn't make much sense it raises questions, imo. But it's really just a small eccentric matter.

I've forgotten more about basketball then you will ever know. Assuming you know more than me shows your stupidity. If the starting line up doesn't matter to you, than why not start our five worst players, then bring in are better players after we are down 10 or more points!!! Starting one trick pony's who can't play defense, and aren't doing the one thing they are suppose to be good at, makes no sense to any logical mind!

I've forgotten more about basketball then you will ever know. Assuming you know more than me shows your stupidity. If the starting line up doesn't matter to you, than why not start our five worst players, then bring in are better players after we are down 10 or more points!!! Starting one trick pony's who can't play defense, and aren't doing the one thing they are suppose to be good at, makes no sense to any logical mind!
I'm all about defense and effort, and on my rec league team, that might be who I'd start. But, even though that's my predisposition, as I watch modern bball played with the passing, spacing and premium on 3 pt shooting, I think I'd look at making a minor adjustment and replace one or the other of PS or MK and leave the other for shooting and to help balance the offense. If I was defending your lineup, I'd stay back and invite them to shoot from 3.

I'm all about defense and effort, and on my rec league team, that might be who I'd start. But, even though that's my predisposition, as I watch modern bball played with the passing, spacing and premium on 3 pt shooting, I think I'd look at making a minor adjustment and replace one or the other of PS or MK and leave the other for shooting and to help balance the offense. If I was defending your lineup, I'd stay back and invite them to shoot from 3.

I agree with this............I notice that Kopp is averaging 17/M per game and PS 23/M....so together they're playing a full game, which is about right. I'd just cut out playing them together.

Looking at our stats.....not a lot of shooting options from 3.....Race-22%, TG 29%, Leal 30%, Lander 40% this year avg 1 attempt per 40M, but 29% career, Bates 30%, Rob 30%, JG 29%.....yikes. X is chugging along at 36%, which is 2-3 pts higher than his career %, shooting only wide open shots.

I like Leal, but the guy is shooting 30% for his career on 46 attempts, mostly completely open.....very close to Lander's % on app. the same # of shots. If he can't get that up to 35-36% he'll never play.

EDIT---I sure wish we'd gotten Justin Taylor(SYR), McNeely(VA), or Shutt(Duke) for the '22 class. We need a book it 3 pt shooter on the roster for the next couple of years.

Last edited:
lol ...........

You don't even knowhow to spell lineup.

• Haha
I am assuming that you could do better than 16-6 and 7-6. Starting when Woody did.

i have always used a starting lineup differently than Woody does, but that does not mean he is wrong it is just his way/style.

No you haven't (although you have forgotten more about grammar, apparently). I spent 30+ years coaching high school basketball in Indiana - long enough to learn that a guy like Mike Woodson doesn't need my help. Any coach worth a damn understands that the guys who play the most minutes, and the guys who are on the floor when the game is on the line matter a hell of a lot more than who gets introduced with the spotlight.

What I do understand is that even with my fairly extensive coaching background, Mike Woodson knows a hell of a lot more about coaching - and especially about coaching his team - than I do. He certainly knows more than a wannabe like you. If you aren't at practice each day or sitting in on team meetings you have no clue as to Mike Woodson's reasoning for starting particular players.

Sitting in the stands or in front of your tv doesn't qualify you as an expert any more than being a patient in the hospital qualifies you to be a surgeon. You are a fool.

...profound words...no doubt you wear a 56 shirt and a 2 hat...

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
I agree with this............I notice that Kopp is averaging 17/M per game and PS 23/M....so together they're playing a full game, which is about right. I'd just cut out playing them together.

Looking at our stats.....not a lot of shooting options from 3.....Race-22%, TG 29%, Leal 30%, Lander 40% this year avg 1 attempt per 40M, but 29% career, Bates 30%, Rob 30%, JG 29%.....yikes. X is chugging along at 36%, which is 2-3 pts higher than his career %, shooting only wide open shots.

I like Leal, but the guy is shooting 30% for his career on 46 attempts, mostly completely open.....very close to Lander's % on app. the same # of shots. If he can't get that up to 35-36% he'll never play.

EDIT---I sure wish we'd gotten Justin Taylor(SYR), McNeely(VA), or Shutt(Duke) for the '22 class. We need a book it 3 pt shooter on the roster for the next couple of years.
Stewart and Kopp I believe are the only shooters other teams respect and stay tight on. XJ has been a pleasant surprise, but his form certainly doesn't scream "shooter".

CMW has stayed with the same lineup since our preseason tour. I fully trust him, but I do believe that playing Parker and Kopp together is an issue although that is 2 good 3 point shooters we need.

I would like to see either Galloway or Geronimo inserted to add either an athlete. Parker seems very slow.

I know nothing compared to Woodson though and if a lineup change is merited, i would expect he will.

Not to sound like Davis, but help is on it's way.

I agree with plugging TG in there, but I say leave PS. JG needs to fill in for TJD and Race IMO.

Regardless. Nobody knows more about this team than the staff we have. They have proven they can coach, so I trust their judgement. There is a reason for the current lineup, but I wouldn’t complain if they shook it up slightly.

for all the critique of our shooting, what's been left out is that those who can shoot it well, are poor ball handlers.

Rob, X, Lander, and Trey, are the only decent ball handlers. (i have no idea if Leal can dribble or not).

the better one can handle the ball, the more scoring opportunities he'll have, and the better he will shoot it as well, since catch and shoot is a tougher shot than the same shot off the dribble, and ball handling allows one to get a better shot.

how fast one is on offense, is how fast they are with the ball.

a great handle makes one a much quicker offensive player than his actual physical quicks, and vice versa.

and a great handle effectively makes him a Mahomes, and a poor handle makes him Roethlisberger.

Way better would be a solid 4 seed
Just some better...imo..

Went back and reread about CMW salary averages out to 3 mil a yr...my apologies but still less than the 4-6 million a yr someone thought we were throwing away

Starting lineups matter to some. Specifically, it matters to most players. Which, in turn, ends up mattering to everyone. In many ways you're correct. It matters a whole lot more who plays the most minutes. Who the coaches trust to play when the game is on the line. Who finishes the game...etc...

But no matter how important the 6th man role is to a team, no matter how many times you explain the importance of finishing versus starting...to most players...they still aspire to start, and are pissed off/bummed out when they don't start. Which can lead to chemistry issues, motivation issues, etc...

Most really good teams have established starters, and the guys that come off the bench are clear in their roles and standing on the team.

February is a tough time to go fiddling with starting lineups and roles on a team. You better be darned certain the players involved in the fiddling are very clear on what's going on, and why.

Agree with you on most with regards to half time adjustments. One thing most don't give enough thought to, myself included at times, is there are two coaching staffs in every game evaluating and potentially making "adjustments" during the game. And there are TONS of things that coaches change that can be imperceptible to us fans watching on TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT