ADVERTISEMENT

New front page, mobile/app access

peegs

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
Columbus, Indiana
Peegs.com along with other Rivals team sites made the move to a new front page last week. This has a big impact in how you view the site, especially on mobile devices.

Change is rarely smooth and we’re going to address here why the move was made and what it means to readers and subscribers.

Following last year’s change to a new board format and a more recent format change to articles, the site is moving to a set up one site that works for both mobile devices (phones, iPads, tablets) and computers.

Front page look and navigation

We’re working to get as many of the popular resources or links back to the new look. Since we launched we added several new custom links under the More drop down menu. Hot boards, Hoosier Game Day, Scholarship Numbers, etc - all there now.

One major thing to note for forum users —- Clicking on “Forums” —- the top of that drop down menu, will bring up the index to all our forums. So if you enjoy the Off Topic Board, the Water Cooler, the IU baseball or soccer boards, this is your way to find them from the front page.

We have more tweaks to make. The right column rosters and scheduled default now to football. At some point soon we'll have the ability to adjust that and expect to make decision seasonal. It just takes one click to move between football and basketball for rosters and schedule.

Bringing back the popular Twitter module we had under the top story is something that is being worked on. No promises here yet but we got your feedback and are going to try to make it happen.

Believe the same holds true with the news index by sport feature. I'll post more soon on that.

Keep in mind this is not the final product. We are using feedback every day to change the way it looks, feels, reacts.

There have been some hiccups in user access as if often the case with massive change. I know some subscribers could read the premium boards but had trouble reading premium stories. If that is still the case and you haven’t let us know, send me a quick email so that I can see that it gets resolved.

Mobile impact

Several years ago when the site wasn’t very phone friendly Peegs.com and several other Rivals sites worked outside the network and with their own money brought in an app developer to set an app just for their site. Many of you have enjoyed the app on both Apple and Android devices but we took it off the App stores last week after the front page makeover.

That move could have been made soon as changes to the network over the past couple years was making it difficult for the developer to keep the app working.

Many of you adjusted by moving to using to the older mobile Rivals site that came about after the app was created. In fact by bookmarking the IU site there and placing a shortcut icon to that bookmark on your phone, you basically created your own app experience.

That’s what we’re recommending now, but with the main site. To make that process easier, here’s a tutorial for Apple, Android and Windows phone users.

At some point in the near future there will be a network provided app with a lot of features we never had the resources to put into our old site specific app. But in the meantime using bookmarks and this shortcut icon solution should be a great way to follow the site on phones and tablets.

Finally, if you have another major concerns or suggestions with all of this, I welcome your feedback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News