ADVERTISEMENT

New 2019 Rivals top 150 Update - IU targets moving on up

So what. Coach K has 5 banners.
Let’s see if he does anything with those 3 top recruits.

Playing multiple (yet talented) freshmen is difficult enough. Getting the absolute top kids can create issues like with Carter. Remember last year - there was talk in some circles Duke might go undefeated? Having all that talent means zilch without chemistry.

Perry could barely bring the ball across the timeline against pressure in big games. He was never a threat to score from outside. Maybe slight edge on TO's, I'd have to look at the stats.

Obviously, it is subjective but Newkirk's primary deficiency was decision making at random times. He was as likely to turn it over with a big lead as he was when the game was tight. Comparatively, i think he was a more assertive ball handler and just more capable offensively than Perry. Although he was often not much of a threat from outside, still I'd say he was compared to Perry.

Newkirk was terrible, but I agree he was better than Perry.

At least Perry had the FF game against Oklahoma. Newkirk never did anything but throw the ball to the other team.

This is a productive conversation: who's the worst PG of the last several years! God, it's been too long!

Donald Perry was at IU at the same time as me and he drove a brand new F-150 Harley Davidson Edition truck.

Last edited:
Perry was never a full time starter. He started 3 games his freshman year, and 13 his junior.

Newkirk started 56 games at IU in 2 seasons.

Newkirk was the worst starting guard in IU history.

Learn it, know it, live it ...

Perry was never a full time starter. He started 3 games his freshman year, and 13 his junior.

Newkirk started 56 games at IU in 2 seasons.

Newkirk was the worst starting guard in IU history.

Learn it, know it, live it ...
yeah but you have to remember who coached newkirk. that somewhat mitigates things.

This is a productive conversation: who's the worst PG of the last several years! God, it's been too long!

Hehe, it is sad indeed......but better that than "Who was worse---late '90s Bobby, Mike Davis, Sampson, or Crean? It will be nice to put that one away.

Yes.....I was being sarcastic....

He did have a # of pretty good games toward the end of his jr year......making his sr year a big disappointment, imo.
No he didn't .. that was fan created hype, if those games were seen as "good" it's only relative to how awful he was normally.

Averaging 10 points and 2.5 TO, during his good stretch of games, is called a poor for an average PG.

He had 3 to 4 good games. The rest were average to very poor.

His stats from junior to senior were almost exact, universally awful.

Last edited:
Carton on campus and Archie putting on the full court press. I wouldn't be surprised if we see IU move into the leader's spot in his recruitment. He can't take anymore officials until the fall after the one to IU.

Carton on campus and Archie putting on the full court press. I wouldn't be surprised if we see IU move into the leader's spot in his recruitment. He can't take anymore officials until the fall after the one to IU.

Can't take - or doesn't have any scheduled?

I wasn't aware of any rules prohibiting OV's during certain times of the year.

Reactions: IUgradman
I read in one of the articles about him that no official visits can take place from July 1st until the fall and they’re back in school.
That must have changed then.

Bryant McIntosh took his OV to Northwestern the 1st weekend in August 2013 and neither Greensburg or NU were back in session. Link that if you run across it again please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT