ADVERTISEMENT

New 2019 Rivals top 150 Update - IU targets moving on up

May 2, 2017
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019

Keion Brooks went all the way up to 19th and is now a 5*. TJD rose 6 spots to #22 and is also a 5*. Brandon Newman really took a jump up and is now 81st and a 4*. He was below Armaan Franklin before this update. Franklin didn't move, and is still at 126th. I was kind of surprised that Newman went so far ahead of Franklin since they play on the same AAU team and had very similar stats this summer. Newman has been shooting the 3 much better though and that likely helped his cause. I believe he was at 50% for the circuit. We're going to hate playing against either Franklin or Newman if they go to another Big Ten school.

Keion Brooks went all the way up to 19th and is now a 5*. TJD rose 6 spots to #22 and is also a 5*. Brandon Newman really took a jump up and is now 81st and a 4*. He was below Armaan Franklin before this update. Franklin didn't move, and is still at 126th. I was kind of surprised that Newman went so far ahead of Franklin since they play on the same AAU team and had very similar stats this summer. Newman has been shooting the 3 much better though and that likely helped his cause. I believe he was at 50% for the circuit. We're going to hate playing against either Franklin or Newman if they go to another Big Ten school.

...and Isiah Stewart, Trendon Watford, DJ Carton, Kira Lewis, Tre Mann, Jahmius Ramsey, et al....

Archie's been busy... as have his Assistants!

Last edited:
Think IU missed the cut with Kira.
Five days ago while talking about his visit to UK...

Lewis also discussed Indiana, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisville. He has an unofficial visit set for Georgia on June 17 and he is also planning one for Alabama and Indiana before the end of the month.

Unless he's aid something different in the last five days?

Five days ago while talking about his visit to UK...

Lewis also discussed Indiana, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisville. He has an unofficial visit set for Georgia on June 17 and he is also planning one for Alabama and Indiana before the end of the month.

Unless he's aid something different in the last five days?

Thought I'd read that he just cut his list to five schools and IU wasn't on it. Nothing about it on the web however so seems I'm in error.

2019 scholarships (assuming Romeo is gone), 10 spots taken:

1 - Phinisee, Duhram
2 - Green
3 - Hunter, Damezi, Justin Smith
4 - Forrester, Race
5 - Deron, Clifton

If Green proves he can handle PG duties this year, IU will have three guys that can at least handle the rock going into 2019. Green and Duhram haven't proven they are consistent shooters at this time, though. Maybe Hunter and Damezi can play some at the 2 spot. I think IU needs to bring in a shooting guard and a big. The third spot, I'm not sure: probably another guard, which is hard to say because I want both Brooks and Trayce.

e

1 - Phinisee, Duhram
2 - Green
4 - Forrester, Race
5 - Deron, Clifton

If Green proves he can handle PG duties this year, IU will have three guys that can at least handle the rock going into 2019. Green and Duhram haven't proven they are consistent shooters at this time, though. Maybe Hunter and Damezi can play some at the 2 spot. I think IU needs to bring in a shooting guard and a big. The third spot, I'm not sure: probably another guard, which is hard to say because I want both Brooks and Trayce.

Would Brooks,Trayce and Matthew Hurt work for you?

Phinesee is the IU PG going forward. Al Durham will be his back up. Green is better suited as a 2 guard, hopefully he can cut down his unforced TO and make fundamental passes rather than the home run highlight pass that more often than not ends in an unforced turnover, which is poor Basketball IQ to try that high risk/low reward pass in a game. Damezi can handle the ball and make good passes. I have seen both play and Damezi as a point forward may be a better option than Durham running the half court offense. Damezi could play the 3 or 2.

Last edited:

Haven't seen either of them. Which one is the best defender? Do they both play solid D?

Who knows...; with injuries and possible transfers due to lack of projected Playing Time, maybe we'll end up with room for 5 and be able to take one or both of them...

Precious acuiuaw looks like a player Kansas would get. I really like brooks, whoever gets him is getting a stud.

Phinesee is the IU PG going forward. Al Durham will be his back up. Green is better suited as a 2 guard, hopefully he can cut down his unforced TO and make fundamental passes rather than the home run highlight pass. Damezi can handle the ball and make good passes. I have seen both play and Damezi as a point forward may be a better option than Durham running the half court offense. Damezi could play the 3 or 2.

I am guessing Phinisee might indeed be the long term answer at PG, but doubt it's going to be this year. The videos I've seen of him are impressive, but he just sounds slight and might take awhile to get used to the bigger more physical players. I'm hoping by season's end he can be a trusted backup but am counting on Green being the starter for most of the year. Hope RP has a shorter learning curve.

Reactions: topset81
I am guessing Phinisee might indeed be the long term answer at PG, but doubt it's going to be this year. The videos I've seen of him are impressive, but he just sounds slight and might take awhile to get used to the bigger more physical players. I'm hoping by season's end he can be a trusted backup but am counting on Green being the starter for most of the year. Hope RP has a shorter learning curve.

While I agree that Phinisee could be the long term answer, I really like Carton and I think he'd start over Phinisee. That would also allow Green to play SG as a senior after Romeo is gone. I think that IU will get TJD for sure, but other than him, I don't know if we're favorites for anyone else. Maybe Brooks?

1 - Phinisee, Duhram
2 - Green
4 - Forrester, Race
5 - Deron, Clifton

I have always liked the rosters we had in the early 90's with several PG options, and strong talent at the other positions. I wouldn't call Meeks, Reynolds, and Bailey elite PG talent, but each one did at least one thing very well. All 3 played.

I wasn't very high on Durham when he was recruited, but he impressed me with his early play and lack of turnovers. His defense wasn't bad and he looked like he knew how to play. I understand why Archie wanted him to come.

Reactions: Sassy61
I have always liked the rosters we had in the early 90's with several PG options, and strong talent at the other positions. I wouldn't call Meeks, Reynolds, and Bailey elite PG talent, but each one did at least one thing very well. All 3 played.

I wasn't very high on Durham when he was recruited, but he impressed me with his early play and lack of turnovers. His defense wasn't bad and he looked like he knew how to play. I understand why Archie wanted him to come.
You would be ecstatic (or should be) if we had guards like Meeks, Reynolds and Bailey on this team. We are about 4 months away from Hoosier Hysteria, and none of us have any reliable idea whether we have better point guards than last year or not.

Those three each did a lot of things very well.

Reactions: IndyAuthor

Meeks was built like a little tank, and Reynolds was very athletic. They both weren't consistent offensive options. But, they were smart, could handle the rock, and play defense, and they didn't need to be shooters or score on those teams. Bailey was a combo, but you are right: he did handle the ball and was an elite talent. The early 90's rosters were well crafted, but a little thin down low: Montross would have made them damn near perfect.

If Durham and DG can handle the ball as needed and there is enough shooting/scoring elsewhere, it can work.

Reactions: mazz
Robert Phinesee and Al Durham with Vijay Blackmon at PG. Romeo, Green, Anderson at SG with all guards handling the ball and doing some playmaking.

Based on averages a 4 star point rated in the top 100 has a better chance to start than a 3 star junior who played 22 minutes and who has an 11.5 PER. That is below Josh Newkirk level production. Meaning it's downright awful. If RP puts up average numbers for his experience and rating, he'll be 4.5 points ahead in PER.

Devonte's problem is mental, mental problems are far harder to overcome and fix than physical. He has to do a 180 to become effective as a PG, which is a position he's really not suited for. He's more of a shooting guard. His problem isn't that he can't it's that he disappears for long stretches of games. There's hope though, for the four to five game stretch he put up a 19+ which is above average for the role he had and increased his PER to 13 in conference, which is still horrible. I'd say right now you're looking at a 51% vs 49% RP starts at point or they platoon the position and he'll be a part time starter.

Reactions: kkott
You would be ecstatic (or should be) if we had guards like Meeks, Reynolds and Bailey on this team. We are about 4 months away from Hoosier Hysteria, and none of us have any reliable idea whether we have better point guards than last year or not.

The last coach didn’t seem to respect the PG position and didn’t pipeline them. It is hard for me to imagine the current coach - who used to be a point guard - not rectifying the problem. Picking up a Indiana All Star PG in his first recruiting class and recruiting another in the next season are moves in the right direction.

Yes, we do. Newkirk is gone and he was replaced by Phin.

Green will be a year better, Al will be a year better.

But just getting rid of Newkirk improves the position.

A very good take TMP, Our guard play will improve tremendously.

Reactions: mazz

Now, now, that's much too harsh on Newkirk (who had the highest free throw percentage last year), particularly when you're apparently praising Green and Durham just because they had another birthday since last year. After all, Newkirk also had four years to automatically keep getting better, right? There's no guarantee and no reason to assume that Green and Durham will automatically be better than last year. You avoided any comparison of these guys to Meeks, Reynolds and Bailey which was a major part of the conversation which we are discussing.

I'd really like to know whether your New Age stat analysis of Meeks, Reynolds and Bailey confirm or debunk my idea that those three guys would help our team or not.

By the way, Newkirk, Green and Durham each had far better assist-to-turnover ratios than Johnson last year.

Now, now, that's much too harsh on Newkirk (who had the highest free throw percentage last year), particularly when you're apparently praising Green and Durham just because they had another birthday since last year. After all, Newkirk also had four years to automatically keep getting better, right? There's no guarantee and no reason to assume that Green and Durham will automatically be better than last year. You avoided any comparison of these guys to Meeks, Reynolds and Bailey which was a major part of the conversation which we are discussing.

I'd really like to know whether your New Age stat analysis of Meeks, Reynolds and Bailey confirm or debunk my idea that those three guys would help our team or not.

By the way, Newkirk, Green and Durham each had far better assist-to-turnover ratios than Johnson last year.

Assists are overrated and a function of team philosophy, what is important for a PG is TO ratio. Newkirk had a 20.1 last year and a 19.4 career... It should be below 15% at minimum.

He also had a career 10.7 PER, which is the average for and equivalent to a player in the 10th role playing only 5 minutes a game. ie he sucked really bad.

He is the worst starting PG in IU history.

Of course they would help, you can see that without stats., Especially Bailey.

Josh Newkirk was not better than Donald Perry.

Perry could barely bring the ball across the timeline against pressure in big games. He was never a threat to score from outside. Maybe slight edge on TO's, I'd have to look at the stats.

Obviously, it is subjective but Newkirk's primary deficiency was decision making at random times. He was as likely to turn it over with a big lead as he was when the game was tight. Comparatively, i think he was a more assertive ball handler and just more capable offensively than Perry. Although he was often not much of a threat from outside, still I'd say he was compared to Perry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT