ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Number Crunch

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
adobe_express_20220927_1054060_1.png

September 27, 2022 | DaddyHoosier

All you fans of figures rejoice, the weekly number crunch is here.

Indiana leads the all-time series 10-8-3.

SP+ Ranking – Nebraska 69, Indiana 83

CBS Sports 131 – Indiana 72, Nebraska 92

PFF Power Rankings – Nebraska 78, Indiana 82

SP+ Projected Score – Nebraska 34 – Indiana 28

ESPN Pick Center Projected Score – Nebraska 33 – Indiana 27 (as of publication)

screenshot_20220927-160724_espn.jpg

So the computers and the pundits like Nebraska. But it’s not like they are overwhelming favorites. Most envision a competitive game here.

Looking at FBS Statistics the thing that jumps out is the struggling Nebraska Defense. Here are their team rankings (out of 131):

Run Defense (yards per game) – 127th (233.5 yds/g)

3rd Down Converstion % D – 126th (.525)

TFLs – 122nd (14)

4th Down Converstion % D – 117th (.714)

Pass D – 115th (280.5 yds/g)

Sacks – 115th (4, 1.0 / g)

Interceptions – 84th (2)

Nebraska’s overall Defensive Score at PFF is 65.4 (of 100) which is 92nd in the country. Their Run Defense Score is 61 (110th in FBS) and their Coverage grade is 65.4 (92nd).

So what gives? How can a 1-3 team with an Interim Head Coach, a loss to Georgia State, and a defense that is, at least by the numbers, borderline dumpster fire, be favored accross the board against a 3-1 Indiana Team?

Well, the computers and PFF are just not feeling Indiana. Look at Scoring Offense. On papers it’s pretty close. Nebraska averages 1.7 more points per game. Indiana averages about 35 more yards per game through the air while Nebraska averages about 78 more yards on the ground. Slight edge for Nebraska but when you look at the PFF Grades Nebraska’s Overall Offensive score is 80.3 (24th in FBS) and Indiana’s is 59.1 (117th).

Then there is sacks.

Nebraska does have a good rushing attack, averaging 193.5 yards per game and 4.72 yards per carry. Their 3rd Down conversion percentage is .526 which is 10th in the country. But Indiana averages 292.8 passing yards per contest (28th) and their 3rd Down conversion percentage is .473 (31st) which is also in the Top 25 percent.

Opportunities

If Indiana executes and can avoid shooting themselves in the foot they could have a good day Offensively. It will be interesting to see if Offensive Coordinator Walt Bell tries to run the ball more as this is Nebraska’s biggest weakness. So far on the season Bell is opting for pass 60 percent of the time, which is a pretty high pass to run ratio.

Indiana should also be able to generate a Pass Rush (despite what heckin PFF says). Indiana has 10 sacks on the year and Nebraska has allowed 11.

Indiana can come into this game with confidence because they won in Lincoln in 2019.

Challenges

Nebraska is also likely thinking that they can add to their season Sack total as the Hoosiers have surrendered 9 so far in 2022 as well as 28 TFLs.

If you take a few Western Kentucky jail-breaks out of the equation Indiana’s Run-D has been pretty strong. However Nebraska will likely test them as their Offense (we think) is still predicated on this.

The Huskers have long, fast receivers and the Indiana Secondary has been struggling so look for Nebraska to go after everybody. If Mullen Island is compromised that takes away much of what the Defense can do, which may explain why we are seeing unexpected cracks in the D elsewhere.

Nebraska does have a blocked kick and a blocked punt this year so Special Teams will need to stay disciplined. And an odd stat, the Huskers have yet to convert on a 4th down offensively.

If Indiana comes into this game thinking, gee they lost to Georgia State and their Coach got fired, this is going to be a cake-walk, they could be in for a rude awakening. They can be confident yes but they need to prepare for a good team because that is what they will likely be facing. There are no shortcuts in Big Ten play.

Here is the thing the numbers don't show. Nebraska just had their bye week. That can be a blessing or a curse. If You are beating people and playing well, You don't want the off week, but You can sharpen things up, get some people fully healthy, and continue with confidence into the next game.

If You are Nebraska on the other hand, You are in a state of turmoil and no confidence. Your Head Coach has been fired. After getting drilled in your last game, tour Defensive Coordinator was thrown overboard. So You are now playing your second game under your interim head Coach with a new Defensive Coordinator, with a Defense that is already suspect. And you are playing a Home game in front of what may your first non sell out crowd since the 1960's. The natives are getting restless and are ready to turn on You at the first sign of a problem'

like our chances even as the Visitors.

I don't worry about IU thinking this is an easy game as none have been easy so far. IU should be looking to get back on a winning streak. This is a late game for IU and how they play in the beginning of the game will go a long way to win the game. I hope the team to get off to a good start and keep the pedal to the metal the whole game.

I don't worry about IU thinking this is an easy game as none have been easy so far. IU should be looking to get back on a winning streak. This is a late game for IU and how they play in the beginning of the game will go a long way to win the game. I hope the team to get off to a good start and keep the pedal to the metal the whole game.
I think if we can jump on Nebras-cry early there is a chance they'll fold.

Reactions: 76-1
My hope is Allen feeds baby food to the OL for the pre-game meal and they're so pissed by KO to bite 10 penny nails. That's been my bitch about the transition from Frey to Hiller. His boys never play as if they're agitated, insulted, embarrassed or just pissed off. Show some prideful passion, PLEASE.
Go HOOSIERS!!!.

If there was ever a game that IU needed to start fast, and maintain a lead through the first half, it is this one. Playing from behind on the road in front of 90K will be a challenge no matter the opponent. Finish drives early and contain their running attack. Protect the football. GO HOOSIERS.
Neb will be throwing long bombs just like Cincy.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT