ADVERTISEMENT

NC State Game (links): NCS wins 7-6

Top 1st: NC State's Stephen Pitarra singles to right. Josh McClain strikes out looking. Brad Debo hits an RBI triple to left, and IU's Alex Krupa can't make the diving catch with the sun in his face, scoring Pitarra. Joe Dunand strikes out swinging. Brett Kinneman strikes out swinging.

NC State 1, Indiana 0 heading into B1

Bottom 1st: IU's Tony Butler hits a leadoff single to left center. Matt Lloyd nearly homers to center, but it falls short - though still deep enough for another double and to advance Butler to second. Luke Miller hits a 2-RBI double to left center to score Lloyd and Butler. Craig Dedelow's sac-fly advances Miller to third. Logan Sowers walks.

Wow, and a pitching change for NC State: After 16 pitches, Piedmonte replaced by redshirt junior lefty Cody Beckman.

With Beckman on the mound, Alex Krupa reaches second on a fielder's choice, scoring Miller with Sowers at shortstop. Krupa gets caught stealing.

Indiana 3, NC State 1 heading into T2.

Reactions: Im4iu89
Top 2nd: Will Wilson hits a leadoff double down the left field line. Scary moment as a photographer gets drilled by a line-drive foul ball off the bat of Evan Mendzona. Mendoza hits an RBI double to right center to score Wilson.

Andy Cosgrove grounds out to shortstop. Brock Deatherage flies out to right. Pitarra grounds out to shortstop.

Indiana 3, NC State 2 heading into B2.

Bottom 2nd: Matt Gorski flies out to right. Ryan Fineman singles to shallow left. Jeremy Houston strikes out looking. Butler pops out to the pitcher.

Still 3-2 Hoosiers heading into T3

Top 2nd: Will Wilson hits a leadoff double down the left field line. Scary moment as a photographer gets drilled by a line-drive foul ball off the bat of Evan Mendzona. Mendoza hits an RBI double to right center to score Wilson.

Thank you--was watching with the sound down on my iPhone while in line at a theatre, so I couldn't figure out what had happened.

Bottom 3rd: Lloyd strikes out swinging. Miller walks. Dedelow walks. Sowers hits an RBI double down the left field line, scoring Miller and advancing Dedelow to third. Krupa strikes out looking.

Pitching change for NC State: Redshirt junior right-hander Joe O'Donnell replaces Beckman.

With O'Donnell on the mound, Gorski grounds out second.

Indiana 4, NC State 2 heading into T4

Top 4th: Kinneman singles to center. Wilson hits a 2-run home run deep to left to tie it. Mendoza grounds out to third. Cosgrove strikes out swinging. Deatherage flies out to center.

Indiana 4, NC State 4 heading into B4.

Bottom 5th: Lloyd strikes out swinging. Miller singles up the middle. Dedelow strikes out swinging. Miller advances to second on a wild pitch. Sowers hits an RBI double down the left field line to score Miller. Krupa flies out to third.

Indiana 5, NC State 4 heading into T6.

Top 6th: Dunand gets hit by pitch. Kinneman strikes out swinging. During Wilson's at-bat, Dunand advances to second on a wild pitch. Wilson strikes out swinging. Mendoza strikes out swinging.

Still 5-4 Hoosiers heading into B6.

Bottom 6th: Gorski reaches first safely off a bunt, then steals second during Fineman's at-bat. Fineman strikes out swinging, then Gorski gets picked off at second. Houston pops out to second.

Still 5-4 Hoosiers heading into T7.

Starting to think we might be the worst base running team I've ever seen. We kind of exhibit a lack of baseball smarts at the plate too. Sowers ripping on the first pitch after 8 straight that were no where near the zone. Baffling.

Reactions: mazz
i've been watching on WatchESPN and have not been online here.....i didn't go through all the comments, but wow. We just make mistake after mistake after mistake. We have a 1 run lead, but this is becoming - if it was not already - a VERY hard team to watch. I'm staring to wonder if the girl with the Prince avatar was right all along.....

Reactions: mk23
Top 7th: Cosgrove hit by pitch. Deatherage's sac-bunt advances Cosgrove to second. Pitarra flies out to left. McLain fouls out to first.

Still 5-4 Hoosiers heading into B7.

Starting to think we might be the worst base running team I've ever seen. We kind of exhibit a lack of baseball smarts at the plate too. Sowers ripping on the first pitch after 8 straight that were no where near the zone. Baffling.

Yeah, that was an odd approach.

i've been watching on WatchESPN and have not been online here.....i didn't go through all the comments, but wow. We just make mistake after mistake after mistake. We have a 1 run lead, but this is becoming - if it was not already - a VERY hard team to watch. I'm staring to wonder if the girl with the Prince avatar was right all along.....
Right about what? That we're back to the Bob Morgan era? This is like our seventh NCAA tournament appearance ever, and we are winning right now. Also, I kind of feel like a lot of you don't watch a lot of college baseball.

There are a ton of errors and mistakes in college baseball. I remember a couple posters here going on and on about how bad our defense was last year, when in reality, we set a school record for highest fielding percentage. And the thread earlier this year where a poster wanted to trade back for Tracy Smith because of our "poor pitching and fielding," while ASU's statistics in all of those categories were at least 50 spots worse than ours. And they were 10 games under .500. To be honest, if it's this difficult for you to watch a 2 seed play in the NCAA tournament, I have no idea how you have managed to watch most of our teams in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmbennett
Man did NC State get screwed on that call at first base.

Cmon man. You know all these damn base running mistakes are preventable. The free swinging strike out happy lineup is not great baseball either.

Since there are so few around that know anything about baseball, I'd be vaguely interested in how you (or anyone else) could defend getting 2 guys picked off, 2 others that didn't score because they didn't pick up their coach, and swinging at BALL 9 in a row.

Top 8th: Debo reaches first on a throwing error by Miller but overruns the bag, resulting in a tag out by Gorski. Dunand homers to left to tie it. Kinneman strikes out swinging. Wilson strikes out swinging.

Indiana 5, NC State 5 heading into B8

Reactions: HoozTex
Right about what? That we're back to the Bob Morgan era? This is like our seventh NCAA tournament appearance ever, and we are winning right now. Also, I kind of feel like a lot of you don't watch a lot of college baseball.

There are a ton of errors and mistakes in college baseball. I remember a couple posters here going on and on about how bad our defense was last year, when in reality, we set a school record for highest fielding percentage. And the thread earlier this year where a poster wanted to trade back for Tracy Smith because of our "poor pitching and fielding," while ASU's statistics in all of those categories were at least 50 spots worse than ours. And they were 10 games under .500. To be honest, if it's this difficult for you to watch a 2 seed play in the NCAA tournament, I have no idea how you have managed to watch most of our teams in the past.
okay, i obviously exaggerated a bit...the prince girl is an idiot. But watching this game....we just look like a poorly coached team. I like Lemonis, but how many screw ups can we have? And now the 8th inning and they hit a bomb to tie it up, after getting lucky as hell after Miller throwing the ball away. This team has too much talent to be like this. I'm fine to put it all on the players....which means we need to get some talent that doesn't give games away.

Bottom 8th: Dedelow flies out to left. Sowers walks.

Pitching change for NC State: Freshman lefty Kent Klyman replaces O'Donnell.

With Klyman on the mound, Krupa gets hit by a pitch, advancing Sowers to second.

Another pitching change: Redshirt sophomore righty Austin Staley replaces Klyman after just four pitches.

With Staley on the mound, Gorski grounds into double play.

Still tied 5-5 heading into T9.

Top 9th: Mendoza flies out to right. Cosgrove singles to center. Deatherage strikes out looking. Pitarra grounds out to first.

Still tied 5-5 entering B9

Bottom 9th: Fineman strikes out looking. Houston pops out to second. Butler singles up the middle.

Pitching change for NC State: Junior righty Tommy DeJuneas replaces Staley.

With DeJuneas on the mound, Lloyd strikes out swinging.

We head to extra innings, still tied 5-5 with the 10th inning on deck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT