ADVERTISEMENT

My experience with mysterious camo clad “police”

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
I live in Chicago. Right downtown just behind the former Tribune Building. On Saturday night, I looked out my bedroom window and there was a van with a bunch of guys in camouflage milling around looking at their phones. So, my girlfriend and I went down to go for a walk with the idea of seeing who they were. They were standing around a white (clearly) rental van with Florida license plates. I sat down on a bench and I said they looked like those guys in Portland that were Federal “agents” that were picking people up on the streets with no reason.

After I said that, My girlfriend said “I’m going to go ask them who they are.” She went over and asked who they were and what was going on (I was too much of a pussy). They said “we’re the police.” She said, Chicago Police, State Police”? They didn’t answer but they said “we’re a SWAT team”. She said, why are you in an unmarked van with no markings and has Florida license plates. These guys had no badges or any identification of any kind. Then, the other guys came over and she said “hey guys”. And one of them said “we’re here to stop the looting.” She said, “there are six of you.”

Eventually my girlfriend, realizing they weren’t going to answer anything with any specifics, said “okay, gnite”. She came back to the bench and the guys in camo immediately jumped into the van with Florida plates and sped away, all of them looking at us while they sped off.

It was VERY strange. I don’t like this stuff. No badges? Do SWAT teams have rental vans with Florida plates? Not that I’ve ever seen. Just some guys in camouflage lingering around a white, unmarked van who have no ID, badges, or anything.

Reminds me of a German (now American) friend who tells me stories of growing up in East Germany.

I live in Chicago. Right downtown just behind the former Tribune Building. On Saturday night, I looked out my bedroom window and there was a van with a bunch of guys in camouflage milling around looking at their phones. So, my girlfriend and I went down to go for a walk with the idea of seeing who they were. They were standing around a white (clearly) rental van with Florida license plates. I sat down on a bench and I said they looked like those guys in Portland that were Federal “agents” that were picking people up on the streets with no reason.

After I said that, My girlfriend said “I’m going to go ask them who they are.” She went over and asked who they were and what was going on (I was too much of a pussy). They said “we’re the police.” She said, Chicago Police, State Police”? They didn’t answer but they said “we’re a SWAT team”. She said, why are you in an unmarked van with no markings and has Florida license plates. These guys had no badges or any identification of any kind. Then, the other guys came over and she said “hey guys”. And one of them said “we’re here to stop the looting.” She said, “there are six of you.”

Eventually my girlfriend, realizing they weren’t going to answer anything with any specifics, said “okay, gnite”. She came back to the bench and the guys in camo immediately jumped into the van with Florida plates and sped away, all of them looking at us while they sped off.

It was VERY strange. I don’t like this stuff. No badges? Do SWAT teams have rental vans with Florida plates? Not that I’ve ever seen. Just some guys in camouflage lingering around a white, unmarked van who have no ID, badges, or anything.

Reminds me of a German (now American) friend who tells me stories of growing up in East Germany.
I bet you were worried they might damage your very expensive car?

I can’t verify your story but to answer one of your questions, yes, the way we identify SWAT teams, at least in rural Midwest towns, is that they always drive unmarked rental vans with Florida plates.

I do have a serious question. Why didn’t you call the police to say “there are guys in camo in an unmarked van with way out of state plates. They are acting suspicious, can you send a unit to check them out please?”?

Based on your description, this sounds like wannabes playing at being riot "police".
That would be my guess too. For years these types of guys have been looking for reasons to crawl out of their mom's basements and look like badasses with their cammo and their guns. The fact that Trump is telling them that all the 'liberal' cities are overrun is all the reason they need.

It’s really easy to tell if they’re legit or not. Did they look like professional SWAT or federal agents?

Meaning, was there synchronization in their uniforms, weaponry, kit, etc? Were they physically fit or did they look like most militia men who are generally dumpy slobs?

It’s really easy to tell if they’re legit or not. Did they look like professional SWAT or federal agents?

Meaning, was there synchronization in their uniforms, weaponry, kit, etc? Were they physically fit or did they look like most militia men who are generally dumpy slobs?

It seems like this is the point. Why should layperson citizens have to wonder as to the identity of law enforcement officers? If they were locals or feds, they should have identifying information. We shouldn’t have to wonder if they are legit LEOs or Ya’llqaeda.

Edit - The LEOs should demand it to because it protects them. Aside from complete nut cases, being an identified LEO is a positive for officer safety.

Based on your description, this sounds like wannabes playing at being riot "police".

Uncle Mark, the term vigilante comes to mind as I read Hoop's account. These would be people intent on enforcing the law without legal authority.

Given the mood of the nation which includes fear and uncertainty about local police being handicapped by such things as restrained use of force, it seems quite possible, in my view, that vigilante groups will rise to the occasion.

When we have a president calling attention to failures of governors and mayors to protect property and lives, why should it surprise us if well intentioned citizens form vigilante groups?

Reactions: UncleMark
Uncle Mark, the term vigilante comes to mind as I read Hoop's account. These would be people intent on enforcing the law without legal authority.

Given the mood of the nation which includes fear and uncertainty about local police being handicapped by such things as restrained use of force, it seems quite possible, in my view, that vigilante groups will rise to the occasion.

When we have a president calling attention to failures of governors and mayors to protect property and lives, why should it surprise us if well intentioned citizens form vigilante groups?
Sure, call them what you will. The only thing missing from @DrHoops account is any mention of if or how they were armed.

why should it surprise us if well intentioned citizens form vigilante groups?
The problem is that highlighted part there. You have no idea as to what their intentions are. Some may honestly want to be there to protect a neighborhood, but others could be there just to play cowboy.
Despite one's opinion about the adequacy of police training, they are at least given the basics about what they are and are not allowed to do. Those rules are in place for a reason. It is to protect the public as well as themselves, but also to make sure that individual rights are not being circumvented.

You let your girlfriend go over there and talk to those guys by herself? Wow what kind of man are you? They were there most likely to help protect the enviroment around you but you can’t grasp that evidentally. Glad your gf can do that for you.

More precisely, when we have the lieingest, most divisive, least patriotic president in perhaps ever claiming great danger due to disagreements about how law enforcement should be handled why should it surprise us if some hormonal fools who believe fake fox news hope to stir up trouble and, who knows, get them a chance to shoot a librul or even a n****r.

Reactions: Bill4411
More precisely, when we have the lieingest, most divisive, least patriotic president in perhaps ever claiming great danger due to disagreements about how law enforcement should be handled why should it surprise us if some hormonal fools who believe fake fox news hope to stir up trouble and, who knows, get them a chance to shoot a librul or even a n****r.
You smell like a goat!

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
"well intentioned" my ass.

Used the term "well intentioned" given we don't the intentions of the camo attired gentlemen. and I am giving them the benefit of my doubt.

Also we have a long history of vigilantism in our country with some of the groups having objectives which most of us would considered worthy causes. Heck, my own neighborhood watch group might fit the definition of a vigilante group. Also the legal status in many states of a citizens arrest gives credence to creation of vigilantism.

Personally the possibility of protesters and vigilantes fighting it out on the streets of our cities concerns me. It could happen.

Also we have a long history of vigilantism in our country with some of the groups having objectives which most of us would considered worthy causes.
Yeah, like the lynch mobs of the 1920s and the posses of the wild west. Very fine people on both sides.

I can’t verify your story but to answer one of your questions, yes, the way we identify SWAT teams, at least in rural Midwest towns, is that they always drive unmarked rental vans with Florida plates.

I do have a serious question. Why didn’t you call the police to say “there are guys in camo in an unmarked van with way out of state plates. They are acting suspicious, can you send a unit to check them out please?”?

This was something I thought about later as something I should have done. Trump has said he was going to do the same thing he did in Portland by sending in federal “agents” to Chicago. I assumed these guys were one of those squads.

They were all dressed the same, but they weren’t wearing helmets and masks, but other than that, looked like the guys in Portland. Just 6 white guys standing around in the plaza next to Tribune tower. No idea what they had in the van.

As with the guys in Portland, it may have said “Police” on their unis, but it was dark and I couldn’t see anything identifying them at all. No badges. No anything. They didn’t look like militia types who like to proudly carry their AR-15s around. It looked to me like they were just waiting around.

Somebody mentioned calling the police?

How on earth are you going to pull that off? With 90% of this board wanting to defund the police, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Why would anybody call the brutal, villainous police force out to investigate suspicious activity.

How on earth are you going to pull that off? With 90% of this board wanting to defund the police, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Why would anybody call the brutal, villainous police force out to investigate suspicious activity.

Who on this board has advocated “defunding” the police? You said 90% so this should be easy for you. Unless you are talking out your ass.

Reactions: hondo314

I don’t recall seeing people on this board advocating it, but you also clearly don’t understand what defunding the police means.

Reactions: hondo314
They were all dressed the same, but they weren’t wearing helmets and masks, but other than that, looked like the guys in Portland. Just 6 white guys standing around in the plaza next to Tribune tower. No idea what they had in the van.
Did they look fit?

I see you and Jussie live in the same building :p

Did they look fit?

They didn’t look like fat asses, like you see at gun nut rallies, but they were spread out and it was kind of dark. I was primarily just looking at the guy leaning up against the van Next to the sidewalk. He looked to be in decent shape, mid-30s, white.

They didn’t look like fat asses, like you see at gun nut rallies, but they were spread out and it was kind of dark. I was primarily just looking at the guy leaning up against the van Next to the sidewalk. He looked to be in decent shape, mid-30s, white.
Very likely real law enforcement - probably federal or a county response team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT