ADVERTISEMENT

My 10 issues and concerns for Iowa game

Greensboro Hoosier

Benchwarmer
Sep 12, 2014
1. Michael Penix Jr. Big ten quarterback of the year or does he have a so so game and questions arise. If IU wins at Iowa it
will be mum until Cincinnati.

2. Play calling on offense. Let it loose. I want to see our receivers and tight ends to look fast and get easy 3rd and 5 receptions .

3. Stephen Carr. He must me a load and carry it 20 to 25 times with Tim Baldwin getting 10 to 15 touches.

4. Offensive line. Big bodies. Experience. Move the sticks. Come on Hiller. Hot seat prolly if it doesn't get better.

5. Defensive line transfers. Two from SEC in Ryder and Stone Handy. Plus kid from Northern Illinois I would not mess with him.
6. How good is Iowa. They have the best Offensive lineman in college football in Lindenbaum. If it's a game in the trenches I'm worried. Iowa will not have open receivers and it will come down to stopping the run.

7. Special teams. Kicking game will be important as always in a game of the this magnitude. Indiana has to stay clean. No Nebraska shit we saw yesterday. Please and thank you. Scott Frost. Indiana will play you anytime.

8. Being on the road, capacity crowd, on BTN, officials, pink locker rooms. I hope Indiana players do wave to the kids in the hospital at the end of first quarter. Get through the first two possessions. Feel each other out then go from there. Don't fall behind 14 to 0 with 5 minutes left in first quarter.

9. Coaches. Please look like you know what you are doing. I'm 40 and taking off all weekend Just for Saturday to watch Indiana football. I pay 174
dollars a month just to get big ten net work. And it's not for basketball.
10. Go Hoosiers I predict Indiana 28 to 14.
Go Hoosiers.

Indiana is certainly capable. The offensive line is a huge issue. Through Week 13, Iowa ranked #10 in nation and Indiana #124.

Defensive tackle play by both Iowa and IU is something I want to see?

Iowa has a veteran C and a very good LG. Indiana will start a new player at C.

What will we see in the opener?

Who gets separation and last year, Indiana won their home opener on final play.

How will road environment be for both teams?

Last edited:
I agree with both of your analysis on our team. Huge fan here, go to all the games and bowl games, but my only question is....under what circumstances are you paying $174 a month for the B1G network? Talk to any millennial, not me I'm 57, they can probably get you the games for nada! Go Hoosiers

Longtime Hawkeye fan here -- this is a tough opener for both teams. News out of the Iowa camp has been pretty slim the past couple of weeks, I think that is an indication of how important this first game is. Glad the game is in Kinnick although Iowa has been a good road team under Kirk. I expect it to be a tough, physical game with the game coming down to the final possession. Iowa 27-24.

Reactions: EKHawk
I think Indiana has the better team and better athletes. Iowa has the home field advantage.

Indiana needs ear muffs and blinders on. Penix needs to scald Iowa's defense with his quick release and big arm. The oline needs to show they are all business and open holes for Carr & Baldwin. A big game from Hendershot would seal the deal, IMO.

Defense needs to smother their offense. Indiana needs to pick off their QB once or twice. I like Indiana's talent/athletes to get the job done.

Iowa lost some key players from last year. That doesn't seem to get discussed much but probably should.

Indiana is certainly capable. The offensive line is a huge issue. Through Week 13, Iowa ranked #10 in nation and Indiana #124.

Isn't Iowa replacing 3 OL? Not sure how last years rankings play into this year?

1. Michael Penix Jr. Big ten quarterback of the year or does he have a so so game and questions arise. If IU wins at Iowa it

2. Play calling on offense. Let it loose. I want to see our receivers and tight ends to look fast and get easy 3rd and 5 receptions .

3. Stephen Carr. He must me a load and carry it 20 to 25 times with Tim Baldwin getting 10 to 15 touches.

4. Offensive line. Big bodies. Experience. Move the sticks. Come on Hiller. Hot seat prolly if it doesn't get better.

5. Defensive line transfers. Two from SEC in Ryder and Stone Handy. Plus kid from Northern Illinois I would not mess with him.
6. How good is Iowa. They have the best Offensive lineman in college football in Lindenbaum. If it's a game in the trenches I'm worried. Iowa will not have open receivers and it will come down to stopping the run.

7. Special teams. Kicking game will be important as always in a game of the this magnitude. Indiana has to stay clean. No Nebraska shit we saw yesterday. Please and thank you. Scott Frost. Indiana will play you anytime.

8. Being on the road, capacity crowd, on BTN, officials, pink locker rooms. I hope Indiana players do wave to the kids in the hospital at the end of first quarter. Get through the first two possessions. Feel each other out then go from there. Don't fall behind 14 to 0 with 5 minutes left in first quarter.

9. Coaches. Please look like you know what you are doing. I'm 40 and taking off all weekend Just for Saturday to watch Indiana football. I pay 174
Go Hoosiers.
My, you have a LOT of concerns! But I see what you are saying. Now, what are 10 things you are satisfied with?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Isn't Iowa replacing 3 OL? Not sure how last years rankings play into this year?

Iowa is built from the trenches. Iowa's #1 WR choose Iowa over Indiana. Iowa's top RB is all-Big Ten. Iowa didn't sign David Bell, he stayed home at Purdue.

Line of scrimmage is key playing Iowa, Northwestern or Wisconsin. Oh, yes, Northwestern does need to have a QB that can make some plays.

Indiana had one of the worse OLs in P5 last year.

Iowa and IU each have questions. Either team can win.

Last edited:
Iowa is built from the trenches. Iowa's #1 WR choose Iowa over Indiana. Iowa's top RB is all-Big Ten. Iowa didn't sign David Bell, he stayed home at Purdue.

Line of scrimmage is key playing Iowa, Northwestern or Wisconsin. Oh, yes, Northwestern does need to have a QB that can make some plays.

haha All of that and you failed to answer the only question I asked. Isn't Iowa replacing 3 offensive linemen? If so, what does the rankings you provided around last years OL comparing Iowa to IU, have to do with this year?

If we are talking about recent history on the O-Line, IU has actually been pretty decent. Last year would be considered the anomaly but we also turned a lot of new players over last year. This year, we have decent depth and added a transfer who started for Michigan last year.

Iowa is replacing both tackles.

What will happen with the offensive line?

While we have a two deep that was released on Friday, it sure feels like other than Tyler Linderbaum at center and Cody Ince at guard, the other three spots could be up in the air along the offensive line.

First, there’s the other guard spot with Kyler Schott out a few more weeks with a foot injury. Justin Britt is the listed starter, but there’s also the questions about him after he was observed wearing a walking boot when the Big Ten Network visited Iowa City. If Britt is out as well, then Tyler Elsbury would be the likely starter.

The other question is at tackle. It’s pretty clear that Nick DeJong is the starter at right tackle, but could true freshman Connor Colby find a limited role? Then on the left side, Jack Plumb has held on to the starting spot according to the depth chart, but Mason Richman is going to push for snaps. That brings us to the thought that perhaps Iowa looks to use a rotation of some sort this year. They have used it at guard in the past, but tackle hasn’t happened all that often
. - @TomKakert

Only one of those players, Alaric Jackson left for NFL. Yes, the third Iowa OL is injured.

One choose not to come back. Why?

I think Iowa will have 4 talented OTs. The one that started the last three games is likely going to get beat out.

Year in, year out, over last 5 years, Iowa has had to replace OL.

One can trust a successful track record. The OL, the DL are keys on Saturday.

Michael Penix and Spencer Petras need to operate comfortably.

Who consistently wins the battles in the trenches likely wins this one. In 2012, that was clearly Indiana.

Last 3 games, Iowa got more accomplished. It should be a good chess match.

Both teams are searching to be better than last year.

Iowa fan here.

Looking forward to a good game and I could see it going either way. My main worry is Iowa's Dline as a lot of them are unproven. Our secondary and LBs should be very good but if they cant stop the run, we will be in trouble.

Offense will come down to Petras. Sometimes he is really bad and sometimes really good. How our season goes will be in his hands imo as they have a lot of good pieces on offense.

I do know one thing- Kinnick will be LOUD

Go Hoosiers.
You lost me on 174 a month. Are you still on cable or satellite?

Go Hoosiers.
Maybe I'm Re- Phrasing Your concerns to some extent, but here are mine.
1 . Can we pick up enough yardage on 1st and second down to stay out of long yardage situations and not be predictable in our play calling.

2. Can the OLine keep Penix on his feet and Healthy.

3. Can the OLine move people and create an effective running game.

4. Can Henderschott stop dropping easy passes that kill drives and put games away.

5. With Iowa having an inexperienced QB, can We get enough of a pass Rush from our front Four without having to Blitz?

6. Can We find a Punt Returner who can field the Ball in the air to avoid lost yardage on the roll, and can head straight up the field and take the yardage that is there.

7. Can We score TD's once We are inside the 30 and not be willing to settle for Field Goals?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'll give you a more abbreviated answer.

Linderbaum is the center and widely regarded as the best in the college game. Selecting the best center is not objective, but he is good.
One of the guards is likely to be Cody Ince. Has played a lot at guard/tackle. A good player.
The other guard is likely to be Justin Britt (from Indiana). Great potential and athleticism. Has played some, but returning starter (Kyler Schott) is injured.
Tackles could be Mason Richman (redshirt freshman) and Nick DeJohg, a former walk-on. Richman is a high 3-star/4-star. Really looked good in the open practice, but with new guys they need to prove it on the field.

I would be shocked if Allen did not try to bring pressure in passing situations. If Iowa falls behind, could be a big issue. Interesting game to follow this Saturday.

I'll give you a more abbreviated answer.

Linderbaum is the center and widely regarded as the best in the college game. Selecting the best center is not objective, but he is good.
One of the guards is likely to be Cody Ince. Has played a lot at guard/tackle. A good player.
The other guard is likely to be Justin Britt (from Indiana). Great potential and athleticism. Has played some, but returning starter (Kyler Schott) is injured.
Tackles could be Mason Richman (redshirt freshman) and Nick DeJohg, a former walk-on. Richman is a high 3-star/4-star. Really looked good in the open practice, but with new guys they need to prove it on the field.

I would be shocked if Allen did not try to bring pressure in passing situations. If Iowa falls behind, could be a big issue. Interesting game to follow this Saturday.
Makes sense. Last year IU always threw out a ton of weird blitz packages because our line wasn't getting the best pressure. I know our DL is better this year but I imagine we'll continue to see these unique blitz packages to help create QB pressure.

This is sort of a weird preseason for Iowa in that the majority of the concern is in the lines. That’s kind of been covered so I’d mention something that is strength on strength.

Iowa has a really really good and experienced back 7 on defense that will match up well with very good and experienced IU receivers. That will be an exciting matchup to watch.

Going to throw a statistic to watch for, Iowa rushing yards. If Iowa gets to 150 yards rushing, it will be hard for Indiana to win, at least based on history for Iowa. If they get over 200, nearly impossible.

FWIW, there’s been a really good start on the Indiana separated at birth thread on hawkeyereport. On the football board. Worth looking at.

Iowa is replacing both tackles.

What will happen with the offensive line?

While we have a two deep that was released on Friday, it sure feels like other than Tyler Linderbaum at center and Cody Ince at guard, the other three spots could be up in the air along the offensive line.

First, there’s the other guard spot with Kyler Schott out a few more weeks with a foot injury. Justin Britt is the listed starter, but there’s also the questions about him after he was observed wearing a walking boot when the Big Ten Network visited Iowa City. If Britt is out as well, then Tyler Elsbury would be the likely starter.

The other question is at tackle. It’s pretty clear that Nick DeJong is the starter at right tackle, but could true freshman Connor Colby find a limited role? Then on the left side, Jack Plumb has held on to the starting spot according to the depth chart, but Mason Richman is going to push for snaps. That brings us to the thought that perhaps Iowa looks to use a rotation of some sort this year. They have used it at guard in the past, but tackle hasn’t happened all that often
. - @TomKakert

Only one of those players, Alaric Jackson left for NFL. Yes, the third Iowa OL is injured.

One choose not to come back. Why?

I think Iowa will have 4 talented OTs. The one that started the last three games is likely going to get beat out.

Year in, year out, over last 5 years, Iowa has had to replace OL.

One can trust a successful track record. The OL, the DL are keys on Saturday.

Michael Penix and Spencer Petras need to operate comfortably.

Who consistently wins the battles in the trenches likely wins this one. In 2012, that was clearly Indiana.

Last 3 games, Iowa got more accomplished. It should be a good chess match.

Both teams are searching to be better than last year.
I'd take Penix over Petras any day. I don't believe Petras ever saw the stuff IU was running on defense, not did their OL. IU's defense and DL handled Wiscy pretty well last year and is better this year. IU's offense has a lot of great players at skill positions and the OL will be better, I suspect much better, than last year. Much better conditioned, hardened by better competition and a major chip on their shoulders because all they've heard all off season was how bad they were last year. Also, there is the Gary Barta factor. IU felt that Barta screwed them on the Bowl committee last year. IU will come in wanting to prove that they belonged. IU is experienced across the board and better than last year with numerous players being cited as in the running for the best at their positions. And, Iowa always starts slow. IU beat the spread in every game last year, except maybe Ole Miss and won a lot of games they were picked to lose.

I'd take Penix over Petras any day. I don't believe Petras ever saw the stuff IU was running on defense, not did their OL. IU's defense and DL handled Wiscy pretty well last year and is better this year. IU's offense has a lot of great players at skill positions and the OL will be better, I suspect much better, than last year. Much better conditioned, hardened by better competition and a major chip on their shoulders because all they've heard all off season was how bad they were last year. Also, there is the Gary Barta factor. IU felt that Barta screwed them on the Bowl committee last year. IU will come in wanting to prove that they belonged. IU is experienced across the board and better than last year with numerous players being cited as in the running for the best at their positions. And, Iowa always starts slow. IU beat the spread in every game last year, except maybe Ole Miss and won a lot of games they were picked to lose.

Penix is has the better record and is a far more dynamic QB. Petras is 6-2 and missed out on another 2 games. Iowa would have likely won each of those games.

Iowa has a tough opponent to prepare for with IU. This is likely the best IU team I have witnessed, since 1979.

We shall see how much better the IU line will be. Just like we will see how much better the 2021 Iowa OL will be. Both are questions.

Run defense and line play will be a question on both sides of the ball.

"Hardened by better competition" is funny. The Hawkeyes are mostly a junior lead team. Iowa has 4 super seniors who will play important roles.

They have played Top 25 programs.

USC wasn't chop liver and your new RB was one of the players. Minnesota was undefeated, when Iowa ended their dreams getting to Indianapolis in 2019.

Covid-19 was a tough year in 2020. It impacted every player and each of our teams.

Wow, this game is about Gary Barta. LOL Enjoy the pink locker rooms. Tom Allen is a good guy. Kirk Ferentz and Coach Allen have some similar philosophies, when it comes to student-athletes.

IU is more experienced. More of the team were playing during Iowa's last win in Bloomington in 2018. QB Spencer Petras was there in Bloomington, but he didn't play. Then true freshman CB 33 Riley Moss started at cornerback in 42-16 win at Indiana as defense allowed just 67 net rushing yards, career-best six solo tackles at that stage as a true freshman at Indiana.

Tom Allen (0-1) vs. Kirk Ferentz (1-0) - Both teams have new RB coaches. New DC for Indiana, and new OL coach for Iowa.

It should be a good one. See you at Kinnick!

Iowa fan here.

Looking forward to a good game and I could see it going either way. My main worry is Iowa's Dline as a lot of them are unproven. Our secondary and LBs should be very good but if they cant stop the run, we will be in trouble.

Offense will come down to Petras. Sometimes he is really bad and sometimes really good. How our season goes will be in his hands imo as they have a lot of good pieces on offense.

I do know one thing- Kinnick will be LOUD

Coach would likely say DTs. Iowa has 3 DEs, two who have played in some big moments. They were the DEs when Daviyon Nixon took back a fantastic INT to the house against Penn State. Wasn't Shannon the third member on the field?

Offense will come down to O-Line and Petras making his reads.

This game is about the Line of scrimmage, as Tom Allen spoke to in 2018. Haven't heard him today. Explosive plays and special teams will be huge. Who wins the field possession game?

Two Australian punters should be fun to watch. Tory Taylor was electric last season for Iowa, even when he got a flag, that got national attention.

Penix is has the better record and is a far more dynamic QB. Petras is 6-2 and missed out on another 2 games. Iowa would have likely won each of those games.

Iowa has a tough opponent to prepare for with IU. This is likely the best IU team I have witnessed, since 1979.

We shall see how much better the IU line will be. Just like we will see how much better the 2021 Iowa OL will be. Both are questions.

Run defense and line play will be a question on both sides of the ball.

"Hardened by better competition" is funny. The Hawkeyes are mostly a junior lead team. Iowa has 4 super seniors who will play important roles.

They have played Top 25 programs.

USC wasn't chop liver and your new RB was one of the players. Minnesota was undefeated, when Iowa ended their dreams getting to Indianapolis in 2019.

Covid-19 was a tough year in 2020. It impacted every player and each of our teams.

Wow, this game is about Gary Barta. LOL Enjoy the pink locker rooms. Tom Allen is a good guy. Kirk Ferentz and Coach Allen have some similar philosophies, when it comes to student-athletes.

IU is more experienced. More of the team were playing during Iowa's last win in Bloomington in 2018. QB Spencer Petras was there in Bloomington, but he didn't play. Then true freshman CB 33 Riley Moss started at cornerback in 42-16 win at Indiana as defense allowed just 67 net rushing yards, career-best six solo tackles at that stage as a true freshman at Indiana.

Tom Allen (0-1) vs. Kirk Ferentz (1-0) - Both teams have new RB coaches. New DC for Indiana, and new OL coach for Iowa.

It should be a good one. See you at Kinnick!

What is the 0-1 and 1-0 records you are placing next to the coaches? Their h2h? ha So strange.

Look, Indiana returns 18 of 22 starters much like Iowa returns a decent portion of their starters. But with that, 18 out of 24 players on the IU defensive depth chart are seniors (4th, 5th and 6th year). The two starters that aren't seniors on defense are juniors and in the case of Mullen, a first team All American DB. Iowa gave up 7pts to Wisconsin last year. IU, with a backup QB holding back the offense, was able to hold Wisconsin to 6pts at Wisconsin. We also shut out MSU while Iowa was unable to do so.

Historically Iowa is a better program, there is no question about that. I also know anything can happen on any given Saturday. But I forewarn you, if you think for one second like the pundits who so quickly forgot about last year, that Indiana isn't the better team going into Saturday, you're only fooling yourself. I don't think Indiana completely smashes Iowa as I think Iowa is the #1 team in the dreadfully awful West but I do think IU wins convincingly.

You have spent the last couple months on here trying to puff up Iowa but if you don't set your bar so high you won't set yourself up for the amount of disappointment you're likely to feel on Saturday.

Last edited:
What is the 0-1 and 1-0 records you are placing next to the coaches? Their h2h? ha So strange.

Look, Indiana returns 18 of 22 starters much like Iowa returns a decent portion of their starters. But with that, 18 out of 24 players on the IU defensive depth chart are seniors (4th, 5th and 6th year). The two starters that aren't seniors on defense are juniors and in the case of Mullen, a first team All American DB. Iowa gave up 7pts to Wisconsin last year. IU, with a backup QB holding back the offense, was able to hold Wisconsin to 6pts at Wisconsin. We also shut out MSU while Iowa was unable to do so.

Historically Iowa is a better program, there is no question about that. I also know anything can happen on any given Saturday. But I forewarn you, if you think for one second like the pundits who so quickly forgot about last year, that Indiana isn't the better team going into Saturday, you're only fooling yourself. I don't think Indiana completely smashes Iowa as I think Iowa is the #1 team in the dreadfully awful West but I do think IU wins convincingly.

You have spent the last couple months on here trying to puff up Iowa but if you don't set your bar so high you won't set yourself up for the amount of disappointment you're likely to feel on Saturday.

Iowa rarely gets blown out. It just doesn’t fit into how they approach the game. It could certainly happen. Absolutely. Positively. But it rarely does to Iowa. The last time Iowa was blown out was Penn State in 2016. I think Iowa will try to limit possessions by running the ball.

One factor you neglected to mention was that Kinnick will be full of fans. How many away games has your QB played? I think playing in Iowa City is worth a touchdown.

Admittedly biased but I think it goes 24-20 Iowa. A pick in the last minute seals the game.

Last edited:
Completely smashes? Iowa rarely gets blown out. It just doesn’t fit into how they approach the game. It could certainly happen. Absolutely. Positively. But it rarely does to Iowa. The last time Iowa was blown out was Penn State in 2016. I think Iowa will try to limit possessions by running the ball.

One factor you neglected to mention was that Kinnick will be full of fans. How many away games has your QB played? I think playing in Iowa City is worth a touchdown.

Admittedly biased but I think it goes 24-20 Iowa. A pick in the last minute seals the game.
I'm confused. You quoted me but then said "completely smashes?" I said, and I quote. "I don't think Indiana completely smashes Iowa".

Trust me, this is going to be a tough game. I think Iowa wins the west so its not meant to be me bashing. I also understand why Iowa fans are confident this year and they should be, its a good team. What I think people are misunderstanding and its the reason I am going to bet heavily on IU is based on how good IU is. Had we played the last weekend in November, IU would've been favored. Suddenly we return more and suddenly we're worse? IU is likely a top 10 team being paraded around as a "probably top 25" team. Teams like Cincy, UNC and Iowa State are getting all the hype but don't let that fool you.

I misread. My apologies. I will edit.
No worries, I don't think IU blows Iowa out. The Iowa D is pretty good so that would take a complete failure/breakdown somewhere for that to happen. I said IU wins convincingly because when the game ends, it will be known who the better team was. Maybe its a 6 pt win but Iowa only made it into the red zone 3 times. Who knows, I don't know exactly what ends up happening but the line at -3.5 at Iowa is where I think people have chalked last year up to a bit of a fluke and it wasn't. I'm super excited to see what takes place as it'll be a fun one!

This game will likely be a classic Iowa vs. IU game. Throw out the spreads.

Both Kirk Ferentz and Tom Allen #LEO their respective teams.

There is likely mutual respect for one another, though I am only saying it from Tom Allen’s views, because he talked about it recently and in the past.

Both Indiana and Iowa State lost a couple key players. Iowa too!

I don't think those small aspects should be discounted. There are questions that need to be answered by both teams.

Iowa's head coach was on the Iowa sidelines 40 years ago, when this game was played at Kinnick.

This will be the first game in Kinnick, since the passing of Hayden Fry, with fans in the stands.

As Coach Allen would say about Iowa, the names and numbers change, but the system at Iowa doesn't change much.

He knows Iowa well.

The line of scrimmage will be very important. Both sides of the ball.

Iowa will use the wildcat most likely in 2021.

We may see some spread formation or Iowa will choose to go under center. OC Brian Ferentz will need to unveil a strong game plan this week.

Last year is over. We all should know that.

“We used to always break it down on ‘Big Ten champs’ before I was the head coach,” Tom Allen said. “And it always bugged me. Because I knew it was hollow words.”

Of course, at Kinnick Stadium, they will break out the old cheer again at IU, Tom Allen has announced. His players have earned it.

Both were 6-2, Top 15 pre-CFB Playoff rated teams, with strong defenses. Their offenses were #2 and #3 in scoring.

Special teams were #1 and #2.

Both are strongest in the secondary or back 7. Both teams have a QB, RB, WR and TE that can make plays.

Iowa's best player is a C.
For Iowa, that is so Iowa.

QB Michael Penix is the best skill player and everyone wants to see how he is coming off his second straight season stopped short, due to injury?

The bullets finally fly on Saturday. One should expect a 60 minute game, since it is Iowa vs. IU.

Kinnick should be rocking. The Wave is back with fans. Great tradition.

While conventional wisdom suggests a lower O/U, I think Iowa-IU past games suggests it may be closer to 50 or more points scored.

We shall see soon enough. The 1984 game, last year's IU-Penn State finish, what will 2021 bring in Week 1?

IU did lose 2 players but the team was quite interchangeable. The safety who left was replaced with someone who also started quite often as there was a lot of players splitting time on the field. We also added the starting safety for Ole Miss the last 2 years as a transfer who is a back up safety on our roster. To that, we also gained our 6th year senior DB (Ball) who was one of the leaders on defense but injured his leg in camp before the season and didn't play at all. He is back so we are not only more veteran than last year but much deeper. The point being is we lost a couple guys who were late round picks but I don't see much if any impact there. Good ball players but IU has a TON of depth which is what has made IU different from so many other seasons before.

How do you feel about the new hybrid position?

"If they are deficient as pass-rushers, or run-stoppers, or in coverage, it will be all too easy for coordinators to pick apart IU’s charade."

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

"If they are deficient as pass-rushers, or run-stoppers, or in coverage, it will be all too easy for coordinators to pick apart IU’s charade."

It actually is not new for us. We used it extensively in later part of 2020 season. Now there is more talent in position.

This will be the 6th year IU has used the Bull position. Marcelino Ball will be in his 6th season playing that role so it's nothing new. This hybrid role being referenced essentially is to use a smaller DE who can also drop back in coverage. That merely allows IU to even better mask what defensive play call is coming. Teams don't know if IU is rushing 4 up front or only 3 and blitzing from the corners. One thing I've learned not to question is Tom Allen's ability to call a defense as he's one of the best.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
This will be the 6th year IU has used the Bull position. Marcelino Ball will be in his 6th season playing that role so it's nothing new. This hybrid role being referenced essentially is to use a smaller DE who can also drop back in coverage. That merely allows IU to even better mask what defensive play call is coming. Teams don't know if IU is rushing 4 up front or only 3 and blitzing from the corners. One thing I've learned not to question is Tom Allen's ability to call a defense as he's one of the best.
I believe you are confusing the bull position with the husky position. Ball plays Husky

I believe you are confusing the bull position with the husky position. Ball plays Husky
Yes! Sorry, you are correct. Husky has been around for 6 years. The hybrid LB/Safety. Bull is the hybrid DE/LB. But Tom has called the smaller DE position the Bull position for quite some time. I think its definitely became more of a legitimate hybrid role last year but Tom has always called the outside guy the 'bull'.

I agree with most of the analysis i've seen. At the end of the day I don't see a blowout either way. Iowa's tempo and ability to control the clock usually prevents blowouts against them, and Kirk Ferentz has shown in the past that his boys show up in big games so I expect no different for the season opener against a ranked big ten opponent. IU's defense only looked awful for a 10 minute stretch last season against a team loaded with 5 and 4 stars in OSU. Iowa just doesn't have guys like Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave that are needed blow out this defense assuming Charlton Warren is ready and from what I've been hearing in player interviews, these guys really like Warren I think he'll be alright.

This game will be won or lost at the line of scrimmage, while Iowa doesn't return everyone on their O-line from last year, the guys they do return are phenomenal, notably Tyler Lindenbaum who will likely be a first round pick next year. Iowa, like Wisconsin just does a really good job fielding a strong offensive line and I wouldn't expect any differently this year even with some new faces. That also plays into one of the Hoosiers few weaknesses last year. Their defensive line simply put was not skilled enough to consistently pressure quarterbacks last year through conventional methods. Luckily we had two phenomenal minds drawing up plays last year to counteract the talent issue. I'm not sure what to expect from the D-line from a talent perspective this year as we lost a starter and brought in three transfers, but they can't get pushed around if IU wants to win this game.

O-line is another issue, from everything I've heard out of camps, Caleb Jones is in as good a shape as ever, so we will not get a repeat of that PSU performance to open the season, hopefully another year of development and the addition of Zach Carpenter can help the Hoosiers take a step up next year. Iowa's D-line may not be mind boggling, but our O-line was abysmal last year, largely hidden by the quick release of Mike Penix, we can't have a repeat of last year.

Should be a great game, I'm really excited to see how our Hoosiers in action again!

I like this “capable” here. It sounds like, “well, Indiana, I guess, could pull the upset.”

The only upset is if Iowa wins that game. Iowa isn’t that good of a team. Having the best Center in the country is like having the best middle reliever in Major League Baseball.

Tracy? Lol. He probably passed on us because he’d be buried on our depth chart. Outside of Goodson, Iowa’s skill guys are average.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT