ADVERTISEMENT

My 10 issues and concerns for Iowa game

Iowa and Indiana are both good football teams. Tom Allen and Kirk Ferentz each have good programs trending in the right direction.

We should see that during the 2021 season.

Either team is capable of winning on Saturday. The two head coaches would be the first to say that, I believe.

Any given Saturday.

Reactions: ESalum86
This is sort of a weird preseason for Iowa in that the majority of the concern is in the lines. That’s kind of been covered so I’d mention something that is strength on strength.

Iowa has a really really good and experienced back 7 on defense that will match up well with very good and experienced IU receivers. That will be an exciting matchup to watch.

Going to throw a statistic to watch for, Iowa rushing yards. If Iowa gets to 150 yards rushing, it will be hard for Indiana to win, at least based on history for Iowa. If they get over 200, nearly impossible.

FWIW, there’s been a really good start on the Indiana separated at birth thread on hawkeyereport. On the football board. Worth looking at.

I disagree. Iowa could run for 250 yards and Indiana could still win 31-21. Penix can light up good defenses. Ask Ohio State.

I like this “capable” here. It sounds like, “well, Indiana, I guess, could pull the upset.”

The only upset is if Iowa wins that game. Iowa isn’t that good of a team. Having the best Center in the country is like having the best middle reliever in Major League Baseball.
I would disagree with that analogy. A good center can make up for a weak Guard on either side, yes Lindenbaum will not be blocking 5 guys, but he will certainly have an impact on more than one defender on most plays.

I disagree. Iowa could run for 250 yards and Indiana could still win 31-21. Penix can light up good defenses. Ask Ohio State.

Iowa isn’t going to run for 250, but if they did, they’d win TOP 35-25. Their defense is built to deny big plays. It isn’t anything like tOSU runs.

Iowa isn’t going to run for 250, but if they did, they’d win TOP 35-25. Their defense is built to deny big plays. It isn’t anything like tOSU runs.
Iowa is a solid team that is well coached. I think for IU to win we need to score in the 30’s. I’ve got nothing against Iowa other than the AD. Hope you guys go 11-1. The 1 coming Saturday. :)

Iowa is a solid team that is well coached. I think for IU to win we need to score in the 30’s. I’ve got nothing against Iowa other than the AD. Hope you guys go 11-1. The 1 coming Saturday. :)

Historically, when Iowa hits 35 points in this one, Iowa wins. Of course, in Bloomington in 1988, Iowa only got to 34.

@76-1
It could be one of the better games of the day.
I suspect it will be a better game than Nebraska at lllinois.
Simply for the fact, two better teams.

Is this even true? And even if it is, what is your point? Why say it?
Guy's got a bizarre shtick. It reminds me of what an a-hole might do after his team loses - - bombard everyone with stats and history in support of a lame argument that his team is actually the better one. But this game hasn't been played yet. Wacky.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
@76-1
It could be one of the better games of the day.
I suspect it will be a better game than Nebraska at lllinois.
Simply for the fact, two better teams.
I would certainly hope so! That Nebraska vs Illinois game looked like a couple of really bad middle school teams going at it...

That was extraordinarily tough to watch... I just stuck with it to see how Frost could find a way to lose a winnable game... He didn't disappoint...🤣🤣

Iowa is built from the trenches. Iowa's #1 WR choose Iowa over Indiana. Iowa's top RB is all-Big Ten. Iowa didn't sign David Bell, he stayed home at Purdue.

Line of scrimmage is key playing Iowa, Northwestern or Wisconsin. Oh, yes, Northwestern does need to have a QB that can make some plays.

Indiana had one of the worse OLs in P5 last year.

Iowa and IU each have questions. Either team can win.

"IU had one of the worst OLs in P5 last year."

Yet IU was 6-1 in the B1G (scoring 35 in their lone loss) and finished 3rd in B1G scoring.

You better hope we haven't improved.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Run yardage is a nice stat, but the most important stats are two types of drive killers that Kirk Ferentz mentioned today.
  • Turnovers
  • Penalties
Prime example in Champaign during Week 1:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT