ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins Announcing 10/23

The impact that a good football program would have, is an interesting topic to think about.

I still believe that Mens basketball will always be the most important athletics program at IU. But the economic and overall impact a good football program has, obviously will influence the athletic department as a whole.

My initial thoughts is it will do nothing but help the bball program. More money, more flexibility with budgets, facilities upgrades more regular, etc... Can't think of any negatives? But there aren't a ton of programs that are top notch at both, for whatever reason.
No negatives I can think of. Most of the revenue upside is in FB. Even places like Purdue make $8M+ more per year than we do in just FB ticket sales. If we can become a midpack B1G team that draws fans and some sponsors, that could help the athletic dept out quite a bit, including BB.

Last edited:
Ah, the little parrot learned to repeat a word. Atta boy, you get a giant treat.

Irony .. a cracker for a cracker ..

ProductsPg_Saltine_SML.png

• Love
  • Angry
Reactions: Cavanagh and Lucy01
Why do you have to be a Richard in damn near every basketball post? If you are that miserable find a new team.
Woodson is a bad coach and the sooner he is fired the better. Mullins going to UCONN will hasten his departure. Then maybe Quinn and the boosters will let Dolson make his own hire.

Reactions: jiouhyu
There is probably some action to be taken with Woody next year. After this year he will have two years left on his contract, which isn't much, and it starts to become an issue with '25 and especially '26 recruits looking at the future of the program.

My best guess right now is Woody gets an extension, maybe something like two years. With this roster it's more likely than not we have a good season. With our NIL budget we'll have good to very good recruits depending on how the staff does. The bar isn't too high with IUBB, and anything decent is going to look pretty amazing vs last year's disaster. Maybe we have a flat out very good year -- it's possible. I don't know. Just tough to see this team flopping, if a coaching change was going to happen it would have been after last year.

Woody doesn't seem to want to leave. He also has a powerful friend whose term ends next summer -- it's possible an extension is one last gift for his old pal Mike.
One man’s “disaster” is another man’s “good season.”

Mike Woodson -June 2024

Woodson is a bad coach and the sooner he is fired the better. Mullins going to UCONN will hasten his departure. Then maybe Quinn and the boosters will let Dolson make his own hire.
I disagree - getting Mullins will have no impact on Woodson’s job. He could go 4/4 or 0/4 in a recruiting class and imo it wouldn’t matter. In the end IU will have a roster of players (portal or hs) that will be some of the highest paid players out there. It will come down to what he does on the court, not recruiting. (Which flies in the face of last year, where our season was a total stinker, but at some point the boosters will demand more.)

Disclaimer...I want IU to land Mullins. He would help IU's basketball program.

At the risk of sounding "Purdue-ish", I don't think it'd be an enormous loss from a pure basketball standpoint. I have a sense, having watched him a fair bit live, that his ranking has become a tad lofty. Obviously if UConn and UNC are after him as well, it means he's good. And he is. I'm just not sold that he's gonna be a day 1 type starter, for a good P5 program.

If we don't get him, we can probably get someone as good or better in the portal. Especially if Rice and/or Carlyle thrive this year.

But he's from Indiana. He's probably going to win our Mr Basketball award this year. For reasons bigger than just his talent and impact on the court, it would be very nice to get him.

If it ends up our only HS long recruitment win in two years is Sisley, that’s not great and you have to wonder what’s wrong. We can guess. But if we do well on the court and in the portal, it doesn’t matter much.

At the risk of sounding "Purdue-ish", I don't think it'd be an enormous loss from a pure basketball standpoint. I have a sense, having watched him a fair bit live, that his ranking has become a tad lofty. Obviously if UConn and UNC are after him as well, it means he's good. And he is. I'm just not sold that he's gonna be a day 1 type starter, for a good P5 program.

If we don't get him, we can probably get someone as good or better in the portal. Especially if Rice and/or Carlyle thrive this year.

But he's from Indiana. He's probably going to win our Mr Basketball award this year. For reasons bigger than just his talent and impact on the court, it would be very nice to get him.
This is a reasonable post. I don't get caught up in the Mr basketball or he is from Indiana as a priority but if IU is going to chase the kids with an offer from UCONN, IU will lose more often than not... as will everyone else.

These are strange times for recruiting. Do you want to pay 18-year-olds to play for a year or pay kids already established in college and might be around for a couple of years? I know the answer is both, but recruiting has evolved, getting the top local talent isn't the priority it once was.

If it ends up our only HS long recruitment win in two years is Sisley, that’s not great and you have to wonder what’s wrong. We can guess. But if we do well on the court and in the portal, it doesn’t matter much.
recruiting 5-star kids with absolutely no recent tournament success, won't start winning these battles until we win on the court. the portal is a lifeline for Woodson, or he already would have been gone.

Reactions: IUgradman

Will sting if he's a 3-4 year player, but Hurley has sold Mullins on being a one and done.

I've been beating the drum since a couple weeks in to his first season. Playing a more open, perimeter centric offense should have been implemented by Woody, from day 1.

If Mullins does choose UConn...for me, its just more proof that elite level shooters, transfer or HS, don't like the style/offense that Woody is using.

That's all well and good if we're winning. But up until now, we haven't. Hope he dramatically opens it up this year. We need all of the perimeter guys contributing, making plays, etc... It needs to "look" a lot different.

recruiting 5-star kids with absolutely no recent tournament success, won't start winning these battles until we win on the court. the portal is a lifeline for Woodson, or he already would have been gone.
Lots of truth to this.

When going toe to toe with elite programs we can’t offer winning or playing style, at least on tape.

As a result we will need to pay more to compensate. And, the recruits we get will need to be ones that are willing to prioritize in that way.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Man...I don't see that, at all. But if its there, more power to him! Hope that's how it goes for him.
What I heard said was that Hurley is talking up a "10 month plan"... but really, what's the downside if you tell a guy what he wants to hear to get him? My 10 month plan might be for a kid to come in and dominate from Day 1, work hard, earn a starting position, become all conference and then you get drafted. And, if you don't do that, well, that was just my plan! On to year 2!

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Woodson is an epic disaster. This was a must get. Hopefully that guy is wrong. It's sad. Honestly he'd probably have difficulty fielding a roster without Cindy and Carl's money bag.
Must get. Says you. I'm sure the entire nation is waiting on word of the IU program's fate that rests on a 6'7" white kid from Greenfield's choice. We already got Sisley. Did you forget that? And if we land Mullins, I'm sure it'll be the next recruit we pursue and in turn don't get, that you'll roll out the same whine. Rinse, repeat.

I'd love to land Mullins, but it's not like he's this generation's Larry Bird in the making. And, you don't get to land every recruit you offer. It's not a video game. You do know that other schools get to recruit, too. Especially ones that just won the last two nattys.

Some of you just can never stop bitching.

What I heard said was that Hurley is talking up a "10 month plan"... but really, what's the downside if you tell a guy what he wants to hear to get him? My 10 month plan might be for a kid to come in and dominate from Day 1, work hard, earn a starting position, become all conference and then you get drafted. And, if you don't do that, well, that was just my plan! On to year 2!
No downside at all, every coach does this to an extent (well except for Painter lol). But if he's selling Mullins on being a one and done yet keeps recruiting multiple guys at his position to go along with the expected pieces back....well a light bulb probably needs to come on somewhere.

I get how hard it must be for someone to say no to UConn and Hurley right now, but there's a very real chance that he's just another "guy" at UConn. And at the end of the day that may be all that Mullins wants---to be a part of a potential national title winning team, etc etc.

Reactions: kkott
Woodson is an epic disaster. This was a must get. Hopefully that guy is wrong. It's sad. Honestly he'd probably have difficulty fielding a roster without Cindy and Carl's money bag.
No such thing as a must get high school recruit anymore. This is a beyond dumb comment.

No downside at all, every coach does this to an extent (well except for Painter lol). But if he's selling Mullins on being a one and done yet keeps recruiting multiple guys at his position to go along with the expected pieces back....well a light bulb probably needs to come on somewhere.

I get how hard it must be for someone to say no to UConn and Hurley right now, but there's a very real chance that he's just another "guy" at UConn. And at the end of the day that may be all that Mullins wants---to be a part of a potential national title winning team, etc etc.
I heard the recap of what he told the 24/7 guy when he announced the 10/23 date and the thing that gives me hope is that I don't ever remember a top kid talking so much about being at a school farther away and "being on your own." It seemed that distance had come up in his recruitment more than any top player I recalled recently, but it's now making me think that is a big deal to him or his family. So, I'm hoping ultimately that wins out. Doesn't send a good message to other recruits if we can't close on a central IN kid who we've been recruiting longer than anyone. I agree with others it's a new day, but that has rarely happened when we've had a decent program and it sends a bad message... if only to me.

Reactions: BigMobe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT