ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins Announcing 10/23

What’s really frustrating is that we have been down for 25 years, and no B10 team has won a title during that time.

Is the PU program of the last 2 seasons the best that the conference can do over those 25 yrs.? As IU fans we make fun of them for only making it to the title game, but who has been better than that?

They have taken advantage of a league that has been weaker than it should be at the top. Why couldn’t we?
Another way to look at it...The B10 hasn't won a title in 25 years BECAUSE IU has been down... It's left a vacuum for mediocre national level programs like Purdue and Wisconsin to take over, and define what the conference is. IU being down, and Izzo not keeping up with the times, are likely the two major reasons the B10 has fallen off being competitive on the national stage.

When IU makes the right hire, hopefully sooner rather than later, the rest of the conference will wake up too...I'd bet. It sounds VERY conceited, but I think Indiana basketball is "that" important to the B10 overall.

Another way to look at it...The B10 hasn't won a title in 25 years BECAUSE IU has been down... It's left a vacuum for mediocre national level programs like Purdue and Wisconsin to take over, and define what the conference is. IU being down, and Izzo not keeping up with the times, are likely the two major reasons the B10 has fallen off being competitive on the national stage.

When IU makes the right hire, hopefully sooner rather than later, the rest of the conference will wake up too...I'd bet. It sounds VERY conceited, but I think Indiana basketball is "that" important to the B10 overall.
Yes, agreed and almost edited my post to note that.

A complete indictment of Woodson. This is Davis and Crean all over again. No halfway decent coach loses out on a five star in state recruit 90 minutes away. The longer this lazy old fart is in charge, the more the program will continue to wither on the vine. Relying on the portal to field a roster is extremely risky and unsustainable.

Quinn and the boosters drove a stake through the heart of this program. I hope they are happy.
Being so absolutist about this stuff isn't very wise. Among I'm sure many other examples, didn't Knight fail to successfully recruit Sean May and Eric Montross from our backyard, both who went to UNC and had very successful college careers?

Reactions: asindc
Being so absolutist about this stuff isn't very wise. Among I'm sure many other examples, didn't Knight fail to successfully recruit Sean May and Eric Montross from our backyard, both who went to UNC and had very successful college careers?
May was after Knight but yes Montross was a big miss.

Reactions: ulrey
A complete indictment of Woodson. This is Davis and Crean all over again. No halfway decent coach loses out on a five star in state recruit 90 minutes away. The longer this lazy old fart is in charge, the more the program will continue to wither on the vine. Relying on the portal to field a roster is extremely risky and unsustainable.

Quinn and the boosters drove a stake through the heart of this program. I hope they are happy.
Its not a good look for Woodson or the program. But it isn't a huge deal either.

The huge deal is what this years team ends up doing, and what they look like doing it. If it ends that he's coming back next season, Woodson will get a decent number of the current players to come back, he'll get some good portal kids, and he'll get a 5 star spring signee. If that comes on the heels of an NCAA tournament berth, and a decent post season showing...IU is headed in the right direction. If it doesn't, there will be quite a lot more villagers at the gates this year, and the Mullins thing will end up being amplified a little bit more. But on its own, its not really a big deal.

The one constant I can see over 25 years is how political bball is at IU. We’ve had Presidents, Trustees, a search committee, and donors all involved with bball coach hires/fires, and these people are not good at hiring/firing coaches or building a bball program. It should be the AD’s job, and as a complicating factor we’ve also had some inexperienced ADs.

Any organization with this level of politics and meddling is probably going to produce poor results. And that’s what we have seen. Hopefully we figure it out someday.
Like any organization, especially public ones with a lot of political influence bearing down on it, people rise to leadership not on talent but by pleasing those with the bureaucrats. It is the legislators in Indy, not the donors, who are the only ones who can hire and fire.

And on a less positive note, I feel we aren't getting Mullins. If he wanted to stay here in IN, he would have already announced it.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
There will probably be another step before Woody hets let go, I could see money spent to replace one or more assistants with proven recruiters. We've dressed it up around the edges a bit over the past two years but a significant upgrade would probably help.

There will probably be another step before Woody hets let go, I could see money spent to replace one or more assistants with proven recruiters. We've dressed it up around the edges a bit over the past two years but a significant upgrade would probably help.
While I don't think you're necessarily wrong (I've wanted Hunter gone for a while now), it's not the recruiting part the new assistant needs to be good at....Woody absolutely needs a true game technician in his ear. He doesn't have that and it shows

While I don't think you're necessarily wrong (I've wanted Hunter gone for a while now), it's not the recruiting part the new assistant needs to be good at....Woody absolutely needs a true game technician in his ear. He doesn't have that and it shows
so, you want to get rid of our ace recruiter who doesn't land anyone?

Reactions: MTBRider22
What’s really frustrating is that we have been down for 25 years, and no B10 team has won a title during that time.

Is the PU program of the last 2 seasons the best that the conference can do over those 25 yrs.? As IU fans we make fun of them for only making it to the title game, but who has been better than that?

They have taken advantage of a league that has been weaker than it should be at the top. Why couldn’t we?
I would say the 05 Illinois team and the 07 OSU team were the best and both were good enough to win it all but both were playing extremely good teams.

lmao ... someone give this little girl a hug.

Reactions: EvansvilleHoosier88
Its not a good look for Woodson or the program. But it isn't a huge deal either.

The huge deal is what this years team ends up doing, and what they look like doing it. If it ends that he's coming back next season, Woodson will get a decent number of the current players to come back, he'll get some good portal kids, and he'll get a 5 star spring signee. If that comes on the heels of an NCAA tournament berth, and a decent post season showing...IU is headed in the right direction. If it doesn't, there will be quite a lot more villagers at the gates this year, and the Mullins thing will end up being amplified a little bit more. But on its own, its not really a big deal.
If you have 2 top 20 players in your own backyard, whom you’ve recruited for a long time, and seemingly have the ability to meet or exceed any NIL offers, and land neither one….that’s a problem. Whatever it is Woody’s selling they aren’t buying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT