ADVERTISEMENT

mRNA vaccine technology applied to pancreatic cancer: preliminary data is VERY encouraging

One of the exciting things about mRNA vaccines is its relative simplicity and potential applications to other diseases, even outside of the realm of infectious diseases. Such as priming your immune system to better attack and eliminate tumors.

BioNTech, the co-inventor of the "Pfizer vaccine", just reported some very exciting data on pancreatic cancer, one of the very hardest-to-successfully-treat cancers that exists.

This blog report gives an accessible summary of the results and links to the study. Caveat: ONLY 16 patients, and 50% protection from disease re-occurance, where <10% is the norm. Obviously not a cure-all, but that difference, even with only 16 patients, is suggestive of a robust effect, for a disease that basically lacks effective treatments at the moment.

Wasnt mRNA technology initially developed for cancer before it was sidetracked for Covid?

Reactions: DANC
Wasnt mRNA technology initially developed for cancer before it was sidetracked for Covid?
only sort of... that was the idea ~20 years ago (cancer) and then it was applied to SARS-CoV-1 in the early 2000s. That was an epidemic, though, that petered out before the SARS1 mRNA vaccine trials were even completed. But much was leaned about formulation, drug shelf life vs. temperature, production, distribution, etc so it was really SARS1 that greased the skids for SARS2.

Funny thing is that progress in cancer was slow because cancer immunology was considered unproven, while immune response has always been front and center in fighting infectious diseases. Now we know, through immune therapy and other discoveries that cancer immunology holds tremendous promise.

Last edited:
I need to be a mod. Not counting other mods, I would ban all but about 8 posters:
1.Brad
2. Marvin
3. Lars
4. MCM
5. IUcrazy
6. Sope
7. Lucy
8. Either COH or MTIOTF, but not both.
(I’m sure I left out a couple, but not many.)

Hell, make me a mod, and I would promise to never post.
You’d ban me?

I need to be a mod. Not counting other mods, I would ban all but about 8 posters:
1.Brad
2. Marvin
3. Lars
4. MCM
5. IUcrazy
6. Sope
7. Lucy
8. Either COH or MTIOTF, but not both.
(I’m sure I left out a couple, but not many.)

Hell, make me a mod, and I would promise to never post.
XeT0.gif

You're not on my list? Crap. Of course you would be there. Serious oversight on my part.
Now, who to kick off...

That's easy...see ya Lucy.
(I'm sure you are on the list as someone else anyway.)
I'm still trying to decide if I am proud or pissed that I am not on your list.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT