ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Sick puppy and skinny dip are my favorites. Some of his are stand alone so you can differentiate that way too
I'll probably be going on a binge the next few weeks. I did the same thing after I read McNally's Secret the first time. I read nothing but Lawrence Sanders until I was through the entire McNally series (up to that point in time).

@Bulk VanderHuge My hold came through early, and I was able to follow up Razor Girl with Squeeze Me this weekend. I liked them both, but I can see why the latter would make Trump fans mighty steamed. The satire at some point crosses the boundary that separates the merely absurd from the astronomically ridiculous.

But count me as a new fan. I'll be reading more of his work. I'm thinking I might just work backwards, since I've read the two most recent already.
I think the even numbered novels all have Skink to some extent. He is interesting.

I'll probably be going on a binge the next few weeks. I did the same thing after I read McNally's Secret the first time. I read nothing but Lawrence Sanders until I was through the entire McNally series (up to that point in time).
Oh gosh I’d forgotten about Lawrence Sanders. I think I read most if not all, but it’s been awhile. What was the name of his main character?

Exactly. I like a fun mystery I can blow through in one or two days.
if you want light reading and @Bulk VanderHuge and that kind of every man type books richard russo's are absolutely brilliant if you haven't read him already. brilliant. they turned one (nobody's fool) into a movie and they may have turned others, but they are as good as it gets imo: nobody's fool, the risk pool; empire falls; mohawk, straight man.

if you want light reading and @Bulk VanderHuge and that kind of every man type books richard russo's are absolutely brilliant if you haven't read him already. brilliant. they turned one (nobody's fool) into a movie and they may have turned others, but they are as good as it gets imo: nobody's fool, the risk pool; empire falls; mohawk, straight man.
Think he has a good collection of short stories, too. Empire Falls was good (turned into a not-so-good mini series). Haven't read Nobody's Fool but liked the movie.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I always enjoyed grisham’s books in that same vein.
My dads a huge Clive Cussler fan though mostly the Dirk Pitt books. I’ve tried but couldn’t really get into them. Decent pseudo archaeological adventure stuff but not my thing.

Tom Robbins was always a go to when I wanted something not very serious at all. Jitterbug Perfume is excellent.

Dean Koontzs Watchers is up there with some of Kings best.

Tom Wolfe of course if you feel like the others aren’t really literature (I myself make no such pronouncements). Bonfire of the Vanities seems almost relevant again.

My dads a huge Clive Cussler fan though mostly the Dirk Pitt books. I’ve tried but couldn’t really get into them. Decent pseudo archaeological adventure stuff but not my thing.

Tom Robbins was always a go to when I wanted something not very serious at all. Jitterbug Perfume is excellent.

Dean Koontzs Watchers is up there with some of Kings best.

Tom Wolfe of course if you feel like the others aren’t really literature (I myself make no such pronouncements). Bonfire of the Vanities seems almost relevant again.
I loved watchers. I liked dean koontz but it got formulaic. Man in full is only Wolfe I’ve read.

Reactions: larsIU
I loved watchers. I liked dean koontz but it got formulaic. Man in full is only Wolfe I’ve read.
Koontz gets a bad rap as the poor man's King, but if you really want to read some good Koontz, pick up Strange Highways, a collection of some of his best short stories. There's some really good stuff in there, highlighted by "Ollie's Hands," a story about a man who doesn't know how to deal with his special ability, and "Twilight of the Dawn," about an atheist who is forced by sad happenstance to understand faith.

Russo is IMO one of the great living authors in the US. The light reading feel is his brilliance. He writes lines that stop you and make you feel like a simpleton because you could never ever write that line.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Russo is IMO one of the great living authors in the US. The light reading feel is his brilliance. He writes lines that stop you and make you feel like a simpleton because you could never ever write that line.
couldn't have said it any better. you know when he published mohawk he was in the english dept at SIU. kind of crazy. i looked him up last night and he has a number of more recent books that i hadn't read. i've been out of it

zeke david sedaris has a "best of me" book out. probably worth having
Thanks, I’ll look for it. I’ve seen him a couple times in person too. Also a Russo fan. I didn’t realize he’d written so many. I’ve read Bridge of Sighs, Empire Falls, and Nobody’s Fool.

Thanks, I’ll look for it. I’ve seen him a couple times in person too. Also a Russo fan. I didn’t realize he’d written so many. I’ve read Bridge of Sighs, Empire Falls, and Nobody’s Fool.
I’m jealous. I think he moved to France. I haven’t read Russo’s more recent books

HBO is killing it with their streaming service. I know they didn't make the movie but it will premier on their app alongside the theater. Is the new normal for movies going forward?

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Started Bridge of Sighs by Russo today. Walked over to the central library, and they did not have any of my targets: Mohawk, Empire Falls, or Nobody’s Fool at the location. I did place a hold on the 1st 2, and took a chance on Bridge.

Started Bridge of Sighs by Russo today. Walked over to the central library, and they did not have any of my targets: Mohawk, Empire Falls, or Nobody’s Fool at the location. I did place a hold on the 1st 2, and took a chance on Bridge.
okay this is kind of bothering me. i wouldn't start russo with bridge of sighs. it's really long and imo not in keeping with straight man, nobody's fool, risk pool, and empire falls. i'd read the others and if you want to keep going then read bridge of sighs. i thought it was longgggg and too much. and i love russo. he's the king of small town ny state like richard ford (brilliant) is to NJ and updike is to western pa. i would wait on empire falls to come off hold and then read the others. i'd pass on bridge of sighs. okay i feel better. now do what you want lol

okay this is kind of bothering me. i wouldn't start russo with bridge of sighs. it's really long and imo not in keeping with straight man, nobody's fool, risk pool, and empire falls. i'd read the others and if you want to keep going then read bridge of sighs. i thought it was longgggg and too much. and i love russo. he's the king of small town ny state like richard ford (brilliant) is to NJ and updike is to western pa. i would wait on empire falls to come off hold and then read the others. i'd pass on bridge of sighs. okay i feel better. now do what you want lol
Dude, I know it's hard to believe, but I've read long books before. Hiassen is just a lark...but damn entertaining.
I'll be fine.

Dude, I know it's hard to believe, but I've read long books before. Hiassen is just a lark...but damn entertaining.
I'll be fine.
i know but you want your first introduction to be in keeping with what makes the thing great (straight man/risk pool/nobody's fool/empire). it's like going to the barcelona game and finding out messi is playing in goal. okay i'm done

Who? In what?

gettyimages-971463110.jpg

MESSI

in

GOAL

39200-3.jpg

HBO is killing it with their streaming service. I know they didn't make the movie but it will premier on their app alongside the theater. Is the new normal for movies going forward?
I'll still pay to see movies in the theater. I don't care how great your home theater set up; it just doesn't compare.

Koontz gets a bad rap as the poor man's King, but if you really want to read some good Koontz, pick up Strange Highways, a collection of some of his best short stories. There's some really good stuff in there, highlighted by "Ollie's Hands," a story about a man who doesn't know how to deal with his special ability, and "Twilight of the Dawn," about an atheist who is forced by sad happenstance to understand faith.
Any Alan Furst fans here? He writes historical spy novels, based on actual historical events, during the lead up to fighting of WW II. I've read several and have several more to read. I find it great summer fare Bonus: the bookcovers have awesome, moody B&W photography. I've always wanted posters of his book covers to decorate my dream bourbon-tasting/reading room/home office.

Any Alan Furst fans here? He writes historical spy novels, based on actual historical events, during the lead up to fighting of WW II. I've read several and have several more to read. I find it great summer fare Bonus: the bookcovers have awesome, moody B&W photography. I've always wanted posters of his book covers to decorate my dream bourbon-tasting/reading room/home office.
There’s a service that’ll do that. Like when you go in Barnes and noble and they have all the mounted covers on the walks - of mice and men etc

There’s a service that’ll do that. Like when you go in Barnes and noble and they have all the mounted covers on the walks - of mice and men etc
Yes, that's exactly what I want. Do you know the service/website?

And definitely not big budget sci fi/adventure/action movies. Dune is getting the IMAX treatment.
ABSOLUTELY. I think Villenueve is going to finally nail it. At least, I'm really hoping he does. Also hoping Apple gets the Foundation series right on Apple TV.

ABSOLUTELY. I think Villenueve is going to finally nail it. At least, I'm really hoping he does. Also hoping Apple gets the Foundation series right on Apple TV.
I just checked and noted I don’t know anything about his earlier work but am definitely a fan of Sicario, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049. Dune is another beast altogether. Hell it drove David Lynch batty (well battier than he already was/is).

Picked up some books for the summer.

Caste - The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson

The Splendid and the Vile - Erik Larson
The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson

Justice, Justice Thou Shalt Pursue - RBG

Thr Soul of America - Jon Meachem
Reading is always a struggle on my eyes but since I don’t watch much TV anymore I’m hoping my focus is better.
Finally getting around to Caste. Very intereting so far. https://www.google.com/books/edition/Caste/_er2DwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Looks like i'll be playing tv musical chairs again. So fing annoying. i got fubotv so that i could watch la liga. of all the services i've had i like it best. all the soccer leagues, sports channels, discovery, history, and local channels. now la liga is moving to espn and fubotv just lost all of the a&e networks including the history channel. so i'm back on the market. it's hard to find a good package that also carries the local channels

Looks like i'll be playing tv musical chairs again. So fing annoying. i got fubotv so that i could watch la liga. of all the services i've had i like it best. all the soccer leagues, sports channels, discovery, history, and local channels. now la liga is moving to espn and fubotv just lost all of the a&e networks including the history channel. so i'm back on the market. it's hard to find a good package that also carries the local channels
Shouldn’t there be a generic app that streams your locals for free? Basically just streaming rabbit ears. Or even something fairly de minimus. I’ll have to pay $60+ a month just to watch the NFL on the local network stations. Doesn’t make much sense.

Shouldn’t there be a generic app that streams your locals for free? Basically just streaming rabbit ears. Or even something fairly de minimus. I’ll have to pay $60+ a month just to watch the NFL on the local network stations. Doesn’t make much sense.
no idea. i'll have to look.

ADVERTISEMENT