ADVERTISEMENT

Movie Question

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
Uh, I'm trying again to watch Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, just like I tried a couple times to read the book. What should I be watching for? Is there a theme?

The tv shows of Monty Python and Benny Hill and Marty Feldman are far easier to understand.

One historic punch line is 42. … the mystery of the universe. And yes the story line is fragmented.

One historic punch line is 42. … the mystery of the universe. And yes the story line is fragmented.
So far, it's easy to keep up with John Malkovich, as always.

But I just can't follow Helen Mirren's character and I can't figure out the guy who looks like Sammy Hagar.

Zooey Deschanel is taking a space age shower on screen right now, so I'll get back to you, maybe.

Uh, I'm trying again to watch Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, just like I tried a couple times to read the book. What should I be watching for? Is there a theme?

The tv shows of Monty Python and Benny Hill and Marty Feldman are far easier to understand.
Mute the movie and just read the book again. Better use of your time.

Monty Python ... Benny Hill and Marty Feldman all in the same sentence?
They would be turning over in their graves by now!!!!

It's like comparing The Beatles to The Archies.

Beatles, Stones and Monkees.

This board is really cutthroat.

My post drew fire, and it didn't even use the word "Trump"! Who knew?

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
This board is really cutthroat.

My post drew fire, and it didn't even use the word "Trump"! Who knew?
Before this post takes us in the wrong direction, let me ask, are you a lead with trump guy, or are you a slough and see if my partner can steal a trick kinda guy?

Before this post takes us in the wrong direction, let me ask, are you a lead with trump guy, or are you a slough and see if my partner can steal a trick kinda guy?
The correct answer is "depends on my hand and how good my partner is "

I’m pretty good at reading body language, so it kinda depends. As a rule I’d normally see if my partner can get a trick so we don’t bump heads.

You go first. Are you talking about Euchre or some other game ??

If Euchre, do you assume Trump has the intelligence and 3-second patience needed to play Euchre?

I mean, after all, Euchre isn't contract bridge or rocket science or brain surgery or some other thing that is hard.

If Euchre, do you assume Trump has the intelligence and 3-second patience needed to play Euchre?

I mean, after all, Euchre isn't contract bridge or rocket science or brain surgery or some other thing that is hard.
There’s never been a greater euchre player than Trump. Ever

I was thinking of Euchre. I am usually a sloughing kind of player, because when I have a hand that is good enough to lead trump, I am usually going alone.

In bridge, it's obviously a tougher decision, and depends on what trump the dummy ends up having.

1. British Humor: Like the Monty Python and other British comedy shows you mentioned, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has its own distinct brand of British humor. Embrace the irreverent and sometimes offbeat comedy style that is characteristic of British comedy.
Remember that humor is subjective, and what resonates with one person may not with another. If you find it challenging to connect with the story or the book, it's okay to appreciate it for its unique style and take away what you enjoy most from the experience with best skateboards for beginners. Keep an open mind and approach it with a willingness to embrace the absurdity and wit that Douglas Adams infused into his work.
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is known for its unique blend of humor, satire, and philosophical musings. Here are a few things to watch for and consider while experiencing the story:

1. Absurdity and Satire: The story is filled with absurd situations, witty dialogue, and satirical commentary on various aspects of society, including bureaucracy, technology, and the meaning of life. Pay attention to the clever wordplay and comedic elements throughout.
  2. Existential Questions: Beneath the humor, the story explores deep philosophical questions about the nature of existence, the search for meaning, and the absurdity of the universe. Reflect on the existential themes that emerge as the characters navigate their bizarre adventures.
  3. Science Fiction Elements: As a science fiction story, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" incorporates imaginative concepts, space travel, and futuristic technologies. Enjoy the creative world-building and the way it plays with science fiction tropes.
  4. Character Relationships: Focus on the interactions and relationships between the characters. The dynamic between Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, and other memorable characters drives the narrative and adds to the comedic and dramatic moments.
  5. British Humor: Like the Monty Python and other British comedy shows you mentioned, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has its own distinct brand of British humor. Embrace the irreverent and sometimes offbeat comedy style that is characteristic of British comedy.
Remember that humor is subjective, and what resonates with one person may not with another. If you find it challenging to connect with the story or the book, it's okay to appreciate it for its unique style and take away what you enjoy most from the experience. Keep an open mind and approach it with a willingness to embrace the absurdity and wit that Douglas Adams infused into his work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT