ADVERTISEMENT

Motivation and coaching are lacking, but the worst of all

Is terrible recruiting. Losing out on Furst and Kaufman was the last straw.
Agreed. The proverbial fork has been stuck in now. Time to cut ties & let the new guy have a couple ugly years rather than waiting after 2 ugly years with CAM

Yep, a one and done every century, and 1 OK/good every couple years, and a bunch of questionable B10 talent will not cut it. We need a bunch of OK/good every year and the occasional generational talent

Yep, a one and done every century, and 1 OK/good every couple years, and a bunch of questionable B10 talent will not cut it. We need a bunch of OK/good every year and the occasional generational talent
Recruiting is bad because Archie doesn’t recruit a balanced roster. Last years class is a perfect example...4 guards and a tweener in Geronimo. Didn’t need both Leal and Galloway. Need a wing that could penetrate or another big. 22 class looks to be a struggle this far

Reactions: baileyiu and Bippy
Really, you're happy we didn't get either? That's dumb and supporting it continuing that way is even dumber

Losing Kaufman and Furst was a major blow to Archie. Eventually, if not already, it will matter to someone at IU that they keep losing to Purdue. The Boilers get everyone back next year plus the top two forwards in the state, and IU can't beat them now.

Losing Kaufman and Furst was a major blow to Archie. Eventually, if not already, it will matter to someone at IU that they keep losing to Purdue. The Boilers get everyone back next year plus the top two forwards in the state, and IU can't beat them now.
Purdue is a mediocre B1G program.... and completely OWN us... As a decades long fan, that is appalling. Matt Painter is a decent (not great by a long shot) coach. There are great coaches in the B1G. Archie is definitely getting the least out of his talent right now. Which basically means he's the worst coach in the B1G?? There are a few very minute positives, but the overall direction of the program is toward the shitter. This is the year to cut ties. Of course the change will result in a couple really lean years, but who thinks next year we'll be out of the double digit placings in the conference anyhow??

Purdue is a mediocre B1G program.... and completely OWN us... As a decades long fan, that is appalling. Matt Painter is a decent (not great by a long shot) coach. There are great coaches in the B1G. Archie is definitely getting the least out of his talent right now. Which basically means he's the worst coach in the B1G?? There are a few very minute positives, but the overall direction of the program is toward the shitter. This is the year to cut ties. Of course the change will result in a couple really lean years, but who thinks next year we'll be out of the double digit placings in the conference anyhow??

Answering your question... it is hard to say. There is still a chance Indiana wins just enough to sneak into the tourney. And it is possible Archie lands a couple really solid transfers. And then, it is possible TJD comes back.
So in all, there are more questions than answers at this point. And although I personally don't think Miller is capitalizing on his opportunities, there is still room for him to save himself and show enough progress to skate by.

Answering your question... it is hard to say. There is still a chance Indiana wins just enough to sneak into the tourney. And it is possible Archie lands a couple really solid transfers. And then, it is possible TJD comes back.
So in all, there are more questions than answers at this point. And although I personally don't think Miller is capitalizing on his opportunities, there is still room for him to save himself and show enough progress to skate by.
You still have hope. Do share

recruiting looks bad for the '21 class, but overall Archie has gotten pretty good "ranked" talent. It didn't feel like we even went after Furst that hard and I think they knew he wasn't coming, but sure, Kaufman was a big loss, but those happen. It's much more reasonable to question has he gotten the right players and their development and roster construction. I'm by no means a CAM defender, in fact sadly, I'm leaning towards thinking we're headed for another coach, but I think he's been fairly successful overall with recruiting, he's just probably targeted the wrong guys or not developed them. I would guess at about every position vs PU we had the higher rated player on the floor at each position 90% of the time.

recruiting looks bad for the '21 class, but overall Archie has gotten pretty good "ranked" talent. It didn't feel like we even went after Furst that hard and I think they knew he wasn't coming, but sure, Kaufman was a big loss, but those happen. It's much more reasonable to question has he gotten the right players and their development and roster construction. I'm by no means a CAM defender, in fact sadly, I'm leaning towards thinking we're headed for another coach, but I think he's been fairly successful overall with recruiting, he's just probably targeted the wrong guys or not developed them. I would guess at about every position vs PU we had the higher rated player on the floor at each position 90% of the time.

rob and Al were ranked really low. I dunno if Al made top 300. They play 30 mins a game normally. The rest of Our guys normally were higher ranked though.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
24/7 had Al 230 nationally and the 46th PG. They had Phinisee 135 & 22.

I'd forgotten what a reach Al was.

Last edited:
24/7 had Al 230 nationally and the 46th PG. They had Phinisee 135 & 22.

I'd forgotten what a reach Al was.

they both don’t belong on a big ten court, on the court together makes our ceiling 10-10. Been saying it for years.

rob and Al were ranked really low. I dunno if Al made top 300. They play 30 mins a game normally. The rest of Our guys normally were higher ranked though.
Again, I'm only comparing them to PU's roster, in saying we have higher ranked guys at most every position. Who's PU's highest rated player from recruiting rankings? I may be overlooking someone but off hand I'd guess Ivey or Newman, who I think both were barely top 100 guys. Most teams, except for the elite, have player(s) around Al's ranking. And, as we've seen, rankings don't always mean squat. I bet Al was not ranked much lower coming out as the "average" ranking of PU's roster.

If I were a coach, one of the things I'd be looking for, in addition to skills, is competitiveness and success in W's and L's. You hear about all kinds of psychological tests the NBA and NFL use, I wonder how many college coaches are having recruits take psych profiles of any kind, or if that's even allowed?

Why I thought this team would do so well was because Rob/al wouldn’t be able to play like shit because lander would be commanding minutes. For whatever reason, that’s not the case, and the reason we won’t be able to be above .500.

all on Archie.

they both don’t belong on a big ten court, on the court together makes our ceiling 10-10. Been saying it for years.
You're angst has transferred from Brunk to Rob. Personally, I think Rob does belong on a B10 roster, but as a backup, and I think most B10 teams would be happy to have him in that role. WIth Lander's ranking and rep, that's really what he should be, so if you look at it that way, Lander is the disappointment.

Again, I'm only comparing them to PU's roster, in saying we have higher ranked guys at most every position. Who's PU's highest rated player from recruiting rankings? I may be overlooking someone but off hand I'd guess Ivey or Newman, who I think both were barely top 100 guys. Most teams, except for the elite, have player(s) around Al's ranking. And, as we've seen, rankings don't always mean squat. I bet Al was not ranked much lower coming out as the "average" ranking of PU's roster.

If I were a coach, one of the things I'd be looking for, in addition to skills, is competitiveness and success in W's and L's. You hear about all kinds of psychological tests the NBA and NFL use, I wonder how many college coaches are having recruits take psych profiles of any kind, or if that's even allowed?

how do you think Al and Rob would score if you had to guess in those tests?

You're angst has transferred from Brunk to Rob. Personally, I think Rob does belong on a B10 roster, but as a backup, and I think most B10 teams would be happy to have him in that role. WIth Lander's ranking and rep, that's really what he should be, so if you look at it that way, Lander is the disappointment.

see my post above. Yes it is all on lander. Needed him to push the shitty players. Instead the shitty players have no leash and can dribble off their Dick all season long and continue to play 25+ mins.

coach gotta go.

Reactions: Orbit7958
He gets decent talent but they all seem to regress once they receive the "Archie" touch. I have never seen a coach that gets this type of talent that has no idea how to use it or how to further develop it.

You hit the nail on the head by saying it didn't seem we recruited Furst all that hard. I talked with a guy close to Caleb and he said the same thing. Why you don't show much interest in a top 100 kid from Ft Wayne is beyond me.

You hit the nail on the head by saying it didn't seem we recruited Furst all that hard. I talked with a guy close to Caleb and he said the same thing. Why you don't show much interest in a top 100 kid from Ft Wayne is beyond me.
Well, there are a couple obvious answers: 1) you think he's not that interested in your program, or 2) you think he's not as skilled as his ranking or the mold of player you need/want. I really have no trouble not recruiting a kid if it's a circumstance like that, and in fact, think it makes sense. But, then it makes the miss on Kaufman that much worse.

how do you think Al and Rob would score if you had to guess in those tests?
If there are tests to measure what I'm talking about, I think both would score poorly, but I think so would most of our roster. Trayce to me has seem to want the ball at crunch time and seems to have an air of confidence (justified or not), going to the line this year, he didn't last year. And, Rob has made a couple game winning shots, but not sure if that's because of focus/desire or just that the ball ended up in his hands at crunch time.

Last edited:
Well, there are a couple obvious answers: 1) you think he's not that interested in your program, or 2) you think he's not as skilled as his ranking or the mold of player you need/want. I really have no trouble not recruiting a kid if it's a circumstance like that, and in fact, think it makes sense. But, then it makes the miss on Kaufman that much worse.
I don’t disagree with your points. However, if the reason IU did not recruit Furst is because they felt he wasn’t good enough or a good fit, then that is most disappointing. Because he was clearly a player worth recruiting early in his high school playing days, if not earlier.

Reactions: kmathum

Caleb was very interested in Indiana according to the source i talked to. So Archie for some reason was not as interested in Caleb. I'm assuming they were thinking that Kaufman was theirs to lose.

Reactions: kkott
You still have hope. Do share

Not really, and the schedule looks pretty bad.
Conceivably, IU could get a few wins against Rutgers, NW, Illinois, OSU, MSU, and Minnesota. But that number could be 2-4 wins and not the 5-6 that would seem a minimum requirement to even have tourney consideration.

What I am saying though is that if Miller has enough close losses even, or a few hopeful wins, and then TJD announces a return and IU pulls in someone like Bohannon as a grad transfer, things would be undoubtedly better next year and that would give Miller one more shot at getting a good recruiting class for '22. He would keep his job and have IU in better standing.

With the problems they have I think fixing those problems and becoming better is as simple as landing a couple really good shooters and another big guy. I think Adam Miller from Illinois, added to this team, would help a lot and he's only a freshman.

Missing out on Brooks, Garcia, Furst, and Kaufman all hurt, but so have the injuries. And as far as shooting goes, it looks like Leal probably should have been worked in immediately. Miller sometimes seems nonchalant about wins and losses and thinks he has years of experimentation to finally build a program. Why he didn't press Purdue with Franklin and Phinisee at around the 10 minute mark, I do not know. They didn't try to win the game until it was too late. That is certainly coaching.

Reactions: mk23

When someone claims Archie is a good recruiter, I look at Rob & Al. 2 mediocre guards still getting big minutes four years into his regime. It's really hard to believe that we don't have better alternatives. It's hard to imagine this situation existing at a Maryland or an OSU, let alone Michigan or MSU. How is this not failure as a recruiter?

When someone claims Archie is a good recruiter, I look at Rob & Al. 2 mediocre guards still getting big minutes four years into his regime. It's really hard to believe that we don't have better alternatives. It's hard to imagine this situation existing at a Maryland or an OSU, let alone Michigan or MSU. How is this not failure as a recruiter?
Isn’t Al the very last Crean player?

Absolutely...Two transfers that can ball.
Boom !! You're a sweet sixteen team.
Lot's and lot's of teams have benefited from transfer's ..

Isn’t Al the very last Crean player?
He's what I call a bridge recruit. He signed with Crean. But he also reopened his recruitment after Crean was fired, and Archie recruited him to stick with his commitment. Same with Clifton Moore.

Justin Smith, on the other hand, never reopened his recruitment. So, technically Archie was stuck with him.

Reactions: mk23 and Radio Zero
He's what I call a bridge recruit. He signed with Crean. But he also reopened his recruitment after Crean was fired, and Archie recruited him to stick with his commitment. Same with Clifton Moore.

Justin Smith, on the other hand, never reopened his recruitment. So, technically Archie was stuck with him.
Good explanation. Thanks.

So if he's not interested in your program or not a fit, then go after someone else. Who was that someone else that Archie got? No one.

Caleb was very interested in Indiana according to the source i talked to. So Archie for some reason was not as interested in Caleb. I'm assuming they were thinking that Kaufman was theirs to lose.
Your source is misinformed. Both were locks to Purdue and Arch knew not to step on daddy’s shoes.

Reactions: Boilerinspirit
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT