ADVERTISEMENT

Most random celebrity you bumped into...

And his family has always referred to you as that jackass freelancer.

I wasn't a freelancer at the time. I was a full-time sports editor of a daily newspaper. Besides high school sports, I covered IU football, the Indiana Pacers and the World Series when it was played in Cincinnati.

Last edited:
George the Animal Steel at Detroit Metropolitan Airport (his day job was a high school administrator in the Detroit area

Nicole Kidman at an LA lounge near the bathroom (only a polite hello)

For the Douchebag fantasy golf league: roger maltbie, Scott verplank, Donnie Hammond playing through at Tahoe dinner golf course circa 1987. Autographs from all 3, nice guys.

Bill Laimbeer at 1986 pga championship 3rd round at Inverness country club in Ohio.

Dan Patrick in Wrigley bleachers in 2003. The ESPN producers of his show and Dan squeezed into our area. He was sporting black denim cargo pants which became a fruitful hazing topic the rest of the game.

I've ran into Bob Denver and Dick Van Patten at restaurants in South Bend ...I must have a knack for bad 70's tv stars!

Upper floor of the St. Louis Downtown Marriott for a frat convention. My and the bros joking around near the elevator.

All of a sudden, out pops Ric Flair in a white robe said in a polite tone, "Guys, can you quite down, trying to get some sleep".

First thing out of my mouth is "Whoa......Ric Flair!!!"

He says, "Hey, just keep it down a little, thanks", and walks back to his room.

Come to find out there was a WCW event in town the next day.

Ric_Flair.jpg

I'm not a wrestling fan at all, but i used to see Flair all the time around Charlotte. Was out having a couple beers with my nephew about 5 years ago and Flair was in the bar, and he frequented it often. Our waitress asked if he would mind if my nephew got an autograph when he left (he'd had his action figure as a kid). Anyway, we followed him out when he left and he grabbed my nephew, threw him in a full nelson, made a funny face and Whooooo'd and I snapped a great pic. Thought that was pretty cool of him. His son OD'd and he left town after that. From what I hear, he's struggled a bunch with fame/fortune, so I hope he's doing well. I saw him after a match one time and it looked like he was pretty broken down physically.

Reactions: cryano and HOOS13R
Until last night mine was Walter Payton way back when at a 7-11. Went out to the track yesterday and ended up having drinks at Ruth's Chris (North) in Indy last night. Of all the randoms in the world I didn't expect to see there....Snoop Dogg. WTF? He was there for some charity event I guess.
Literally bumped in to Jamie Foxx on the sidewalk in NYC. He apologized and seemed nice...much shorter than I pictured

Bumped into Mel Brooks in the lobby of a Broadway theatre once. Almost knocked him over. Little guy. I apologized and told him I was seeing The Producers a couple weeks later in its prebroadway Chicago run. He was nice.

More impressed with his wife.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
I have a few. Shaking Bob Dole's hand and bumping into Jerry Springer within 30 seconds of each other in the lobby of the Westin in downtown Chicago in May of '96 (Note: I'm not a fan of Bob Dole. There was a huge crowd as we got off of the elevator, everyone parted like the Red Sea and I was face to face with Dole who extended his hand). Jeter and Posada at Stephanie's on Newbury in Boston while having lunch with a customer a few years ago. Sitting next to Chris Farley at lunch at The Oak Tree Reataurant in 900 N Michigan across from the Hancock (he was dead less than 9 months later). Having lunch at Giordanos in the Gold Coast in '92 and Morrisey walks in wearing gold metallic pants and a black shirt nearly unbuttoned to his waist. My future wife/then GF and I had a good laugh about that afterward. Ahhhhh, the Smiths.

Random run ins...

Mike Tyson - played at the craps table next to his

Troy Aikman - was on San Fran tour. was my family, aikman and his date, and a bunch of Asian tourists.

Mark Cuban - bar in Bloomington. Stopped to chat, bought us shots, and then bought the whole place shots

I have a few. Shaking Bob Dole's hand and bumping into Jerry Springer within 30 seconds of each other in the lobby of the Westin in downtown Chicago in May of '96 (Note: I'm not a fan of Bob Dole. There was a huge crowd as we got off of the elevator, everyone parted like the Red Sea and I was face to face with Dole who extended his hand). Jeter and Posada at Stephanie's on Newbury in Boston while having lunch with a customer a few years ago. Sitting next to Chris Farley at lunch at The Oak Tree Reataurant in 900 N Michigan across from the Hancock (he was dead less than 9 months later). Having lunch at Giordanos in the Gold Coast in '92 and Morrisey walks in wearing gold metallic pants and a black shirt nearly unbuttoned to his waist. My future wife/then GF and I had a good laugh about that afterward. Ahhhhh, the Smiths.

Were you eating meat? If so, you're lucky Morrissey didn't try and punch you in the face. He's known to be a militant vegan.

Morrissey-billboard-Meat-is-Murder.jpg

Reactions: hoosierdug
Were you eating meat? If so, you're lucky Morrissey didn't try and punch you in the face. He's known to be a militant vegan.

Morrissey-billboard-Meat-is-Murder.jpg
It was a pepperoni Chicago style so he couldn't see any meat anyway. Besides that, I'm not a badass by any means, but I'm fairly certain I could take that whiny ass pu$$y. vbg

Reactions: Rakkasan29
My church did a screening of the documentary "Absent" and James Hetfield (who is in the documentary) was there to do a Q & A afterwords. I was in the green room with him and had a 5 minute conversation with him. Very nice and genuine guy. After the screening was over, I was one of the guys who was next to the mic for the Q & A to make sure everything went ok and people would come up to ask James a question and they would just freeze up being 20 feet away from him.

Chevy Chase outside his studio in LA. Larry Holmes in the parking lot at Disneyland. Larry Bird on a number of occasions. Burt Bacharach, took his deposition. Kirk Hammett also at a deposition. Later he signed a copy of Master of Puppets for me. Hung out at Jeff Oglivie's condo in Bloomington. Howlin' Wolf at the Flah Festival in Chicago. A good friend used to nanny for Thom Brenaman's daughter in Chicago. He got us into the press box at Wrigley and I got to meet Harry Caray and Ron Santo...oh, and Thom.

Chevy Chase outside his studio in LA. Larry Holmes in the parking lot at Disneyland. Larry Bird on a number of occasions. Burt Bacharach, took his deposition. Kirk Hammett also at a deposition. Later he signed a copy of Master of Puppets for me. Hung out at Jeff Oglivie's condo in Bloomington. Howlin' Wolf at the Flah Festival in Chicago. A good friend used to nanny for Thom Brenaman's daughter in Chicago. He got us into the press box at Wrigley and I got to meet Harry Caray and Ron Santo...oh, and Thom.
Was getting my boots shined in the old Denver airport. The guy doing my boots,said famous people here today. I looked to my right it was Prince. He asked me if I was famous I said no. He laughed and he said lucky you. Then signed the magi zine I was reading. George Strait washing my hands in a bathroom. Greg Allman on a pier where I was fishing in Fl.

Dined at the same restaurant as Billy Zane. Later, I ran into him in the washroom -- I knew it was him because I recognized his shoes. I asked him what it was like to nail Kelly Brook in her prime. He acted like he didn't hear me, so I rapped on the door. All he said was, "occupied!" I guess the dude thinks he's somebody. I turned out the lights and left.

I've met several people at places where they were expected to be. The surprise meetings are the most interesting.

Sat next to the comedian Mark Cooper in first class on a morning flight from Orlando to Louisville. Other than a quick hello, we didn't talk on the trip. I didn't realize who he was until he stood up. I asked what brought him to Louisville. He was doing a show in the Yum Center. Met Mike Davis on another trip to Orlando and took the same flight into Indy. He was very friendly to my kids. He waved goodbye to my daughter as we left the baggage claim area. I set behind Kathy Bates on a flight to the west coast.

I have run into Don Mattingly several times. Once, he looked like a homeless person standing outside Schlotsky's Deli. I thought he was going to ask me for money. I actually believe he was waiting for someone to go into the Sprint phone shop next door.

Met Charlie Miller in Marshall's. While my wife and his girlfriend were shopping, we were looking at t-shirts. He had just finished school. He explained his girlfriend worked in Evansville and he was looking at his options.

Tim Kazurinski at the airport in Cancun. Funny guy. We talked about the episode of Curb Your Enthusiam that he wrote and directed.

Haven't met these guys, but they have enjoyed my sloppy seconds: Steven Tyler, Lenny Kravitz, Steve Sax, Charlton Heston, and Lee Majors.

Until last night mine was Walter Payton way back when at a 7-11. Went out to the track yesterday and ended up having drinks at Ruth's Chris (North) in Indy last night. Of all the randoms in the world I didn't expect to see there....Snoop Dogg. WTF? He was there for some charity event I guess.

Muhammad Ali in the Louisville airport

Ernie Banks at a golf course.

Thats all I got.

I have walked into 2 different pro athletes on accident. Once when I was 12 I walked right into Scotty Pippen at a cubs game. Wasn't paying attention and walked into him. Then 10 or so years ago walking downtown Indy I walked right into Peyton Manning. At first I didn't know who it was, apologized and took 2 steps then realized it was Manning.

I have walked into 2 different pro athletes on accident. Once when I was 12 I walked right into Scotty Pippen at a cubs game. Wasn't paying attention and walked into him. Then 10 or so years ago walking downtown Indy I walked right into Peyton Manning. At first I didn't know who it was, apologized and took 2 steps then realized it was Manning.

Did you slip them your phone # "on accident"?

Just remembered, I sat next to Jeremiah Trotter on a flight out of Dallas years ago. He had just been drafted by the Eagles and was headed to camp. He was sitting there reading his NFL player's manual. We talked a little, and I asked him if he thought he would make the team (I hadn't heard of him and didn't know what round he was drafted). He said, oh I'll make the team, I'm planning to start. He went on to have a pretty nice career.

Ran into Pamela Anderson on the street in Sonoma one morning. I was loading up our cars trunk and turned around and there she was. I've never been a big fan, but DAMN, she is utterly stunning in person. Had a brief chat and she smiled, winked and walked off.

Reactions: Foosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT