ADVERTISEMENT

Most random celebrity you bumped into...

Tony20

All-Big Ten
Apr 26, 2005
Until last night mine was Walter Payton way back when at a 7-11. Went out to the track yesterday and ended up having drinks at Ruth's Chris (North) in Indy last night. Of all the randoms in the world I didn't expect to see there....Snoop Dogg. WTF? He was there for some charity event I guess.

Reactions: C-$
Many years ago I was in a long line at Orly Airport in Paris and a dude said "Excuse me, may I get through here," and proceeded to walk past me without waiting for an answer. It was Andy Rooney.

Susan Sarandon. Was eating at some Asian restaurant in NYC many years ago, and she and her family happened to sit at booth right next to mine. At one point I had my arm up on ledge of booth (portion separating the two booths), and I felt something knock into my arm. It was her arm. We literally rubbed elbows. She seemed very pleasant....well, that night anyway.

I once saw Mario Andretti in an Indianapolis drug store with a cart filled entirely with with cases of soft drinks. I just stared at him and he gave me The Nod. You'd think he'd have people for that.

Was at Jazz at the Zoo years ago and bumped into Tom Griswold. We clinked our wine glasses and said cheers to each other. Not much of a celeb but that's the best I've got.

We were at DisneyWorld a few years ago waiting to eat at the Liberty Tree Tavern. Bobby Brown came up to the people in front of us and asked them a question and then walked away. I asked them what he wanted and they said he wanted to know if the LTT served alcohol.

He didn't eat there but I guess that was his prerogative.

Orlando Bloom at my work in Louisville. He was walking his dog and letting it chit on our lawn. Then at Hollywood Studios in Orlando, I ran into Kevin Greene at the Star Wars ride.

Ran into Dwayne Wade in a restaurant in ATL a few years back. IU had just hired Crean, it was May after his first season, and I was still happy he was IUs coach.

I was in a restroom in the Westin in Indy and ran into Ricky Williams. He was on the Dolphins at the time. Ended up talking to him in the lobby for a few minutes. He was pretty cool. Didn't have the big head "I'm a star" attitude at all.

Walked pass Neil Degrasse Tyson last weekend in NYC. He was walking out of a Starbucks.

Until last night mine was Walter Payton way back when at a 7-11. Went out to the track yesterday and ended up having drinks at Ruth's Chris (North) in Indy last night. Of all the randoms in the world I didn't expect to see there....Snoop Dogg. WTF? He was there for some charity event I guess.

Snoop has been to Indy quite a bit... Not sure why, but he has.

He was playing a private event at Ruth's Chris last winter. Must be a connection there.

Andre Agassi & Steffi Graf. Was in Vegas of course. Steffi's nose is bigger in person.

Airplanes seem to be where I have met some famous people. Over the years, I sat in first class with Usher (before he was rich enough to have his own plane), Bobby Knight, and David Letterman. Met several of the NASCAR drivers as one of my fellow ff kid is an engineer for Penske Racing. Even flew to a race on Tony Stewart's private plane last year (NFA would have been proud).

Peter Arnett (the CNN anchorman). Randomly ran into him in Baghdad in the spring of 2003 and gave him a ride around town in a Humvee.

Also spoke to Geraldo Rivera over the radio around the same time. Weird.

Oh, also told Kirk Herbstreit to "Fuk off" once.
Was in Columns for the IU/OSU basketball game back in 2001 wearing my "Buck the Fukeyes" t-shirt. Ran into to him and he mentioned something about the shirt and I replied, "Fuk off, Kirk" and kept walking.

Indiana beat OSU 70-67. It was pretty sweet.

Ran into Kid Rock a few years back during the victory party for the Kentucky Derby. Gave him directions to a strip club because he asked.

Probably a few more I'm not remembering.

Last edited:
Ran into Michael Jordan and his posse walking late night in a pretty empty Uptown Charlotte. He was smoking a giant cigar. To this day I have no idea why (I was a few beers deep) but when our group passed him I meagerly yelled "Chicago Bulls".

Strangest was probably outside of the Beverly Center in LA about 5 years ago. Bruce Willis pulled up in like a 94 Mustang convertible with loud opera music playing and he was singing along.

Reactions: twenty02
Rex and Rob Ryan at Indy 500 in 2010. Tour bus lot outside of Turn 4. We had our tailgate set up, and a 1990's or so RV pulls up behind us. Shortly after, out walks Rex Ryan, wearing a Big Dog t-shirt and a 16 oz Budweiser in each hand.

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, at a play, 1980s

Billy Joel, Christie Brinkley, with daughter Alexa in central park, NYC, 1980s

Jack Nicklaus, many times, at my wife's church

Have also seen while dining at restaurants in Florida:
Greg Norman
Serena Williams
Rory McIlroy
Ernie Els
Tony LaRussa
Bill Parcells
Joe Namath

My ex and I received a wedding present from Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. Her mother was best friends with Joanne's favorite aunt who lived in Marion but stayed with them often. She mentioned to them about her friend's daughter getting married, and they sent a set of china.

last Fall I was in Atlanta for work and Owen Wilson and Ed Helms were filming a movie at the Enterprise car rental counter in the ATL airport. The next day I was downtown and I saw Owen Wilson, his lesser known brother and some woman riding bikes. The brother had a basketball with him, so I'm assuming they were coming from the park.

I said hi to them, but they barely acknowledged me.

When we lived in Bethesda, MD, my wife was standing behind Michael Wilbon in line to vote. She said he was really nice and talked sports with her for the 20 or so minutes it took to get up to the front of the line.

I also ran into David Gregory at a Starbucks in Bethesda a handful of times. He's a tall guy.

There's also a restaurant I take donors to in NYC that Paul McCartney frequents. I've never met him there, but the manager gives me the table he requests when he's in so I can have a semi-decent story to tell donors.

John Mellencamp at Sullivans in Keystone Fashion Mall. I was more impressed with Elaine.

Bob Leonard at Old World Market in Carmel. He and I were both killing time while our spouses were spending our money. Had a great chat with him. I normally don't approach or bother people like that but I said hello and he graciously chatted with me for about five minutes or so. Great guy! To me .... "Mr. Hoosier."

McHoop

Jim Leyland brought his family in to our restaurant once. Nice guy. Super down to earth.

Katie Holmes' parents were regulars. Get enough booze in them, they'd tell you what they REALLY thought about Tom (this was before Katie escaped).

That's the best I've got.

Andre Agassi & Steffi Graf. Was in Vegas of course. Steffi's nose is bigger in person.
I bumped into Agassi in Vegas as well...short little bastard.

A bunch of Patriots, Tom Brady etc., were at Rehab at Hard Rock pool when I was there many moons ago.

Would you believe I gave Lester Maddox directions to the snack bar at the Capitol Building in Indy about 1976?He was there to file papers to run in the Indiana primary I think.I worked at the State Auditors office then and bumped in to Mr Maddox in the rotunda.My wife and I met Mike Holmgren at St Elmos in February 1996.It was the weekend of the NFL combine.Coach Holmgren was friendly and courteous.

Ran into late horror movie legend Vincent Price at the IU arts museum. We were the only ones in the room at the time and talked for about 10 minutes. Seemed like a very nice guy. I had always been a big fan.

Reactions: MJE and McHoop
When the super bowl was in town I was at Ruth's Chris downtown. Walked into the restroom ans saw my buddy standing at the urinal next to Willie McGinnest. Not sure why he felt the need, but my buddy decides to ask Willie if he had faked the injury against the Colts way back when...Willie laughed and said no man....

Both finished their business and left.

Ran into late horror movie legend Vincent Price at the IU arts museum. We were the only ones in the room at the time and talked for about 10 minutes. Seemed like a very nice guy. I had always been a big fan.
There was only one Vincent Price.Who doesn't like House of Wax?Even grandkids like it.I am not surprised that he was at the arts museum,as he was a coneisuer ,a lover of fine cooking and the arts.It is easy to remember that he died around Halloween,1993,age 82.Vincent was born May 27,1911,the same day as Hubert Humphrey.

Reactions: scribe56
I got nothing. I did meet Joe Nuxhall once. But I can't wait to see what McNutt and VPM post?;)

Followed Peyton Manning through TSA at the Indy airport in 09. His wallet was sitting about a foot from mine. Haha.

Also parked next to Tony Dungy in a downtown garage and we walked to the Pacers game together. Him, me, and my Dad talked for a couple blocks to Conseco. Really cool guy.

John Mellencamp at Sullivans in Keystone Fashion Mall. I was more impressed with Elaine.

When the super bowl was in town I was at Ruth's Chris downtown.

I'm not sure how random it is when it involved the Super Bowl, Ruth's Chris, and a football player.

My wife and I ran into John Mellencamp and Elaine at the Barnes and Noble in Bloomington. While it seemed random initially, I considered where it occurred and decided it wasn't. My pregnant wife was miffed that he didn't hold the door for her as we were leaving and they were entering. It actually wasn't until I saw Elaine that I noticed who he was.

I wish Willie would have turned and pissed on your friend's shoes.

Rode a chairlift with David Hasselhoff. He introduced himself as TV's Knight Rider.

Pete Wentz, Ashlee Simpson, and son Bronx at a local ice cream parlor. She was definitely coming on to me, which made Pete uncomfortable.

I don't believe I've actually randomly bumped into any celebrities, but due to my previous life involved in the concert business I've spent various amounts of time or been in the room with many in music.

Neil Young
Prince
The Who (with Entwhistle)
Dave Matthews
Phish
Mickey Hart
Johnny Cash
Mellencamp
Arlo Guthrie
Emyloi Harris
Jack Black
Scott Weiland
Marilyn Manson
Kiss
Wilco
Neil Diamond
The Rock

Too many others. From 1994-2003 I worked for the Vogue/Patio and eventually Sunshine Promotions/SFX. A lot of memories I look back on fondly. At the time I didn't really collect too many signed 8 x 10 photos. I thought it was unprofessional to ask for them. Looking back now I wish I had collected them just to have.

Billy Joel, Christie Brinkley, with daughter Alexa in central park, NYC, 1980s

Jack Nicklaus, many times, at my wife's church

Have also seen while dining at restaurants in Florida:
Greg Norman
Serena Williams
Rory McIlroy
Ernie Els
Tony LaRussa
Bill Parcells
Joe Namath

One time in Central Park walking thru Sheep Meadow, Joan Rivers walked right past us. She was walking alone. She was nice and greeted us after I said "Hi Joan"

sheep-meadow-l.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT