ADVERTISEMENT

Morton to PU

Then how do Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame football recruit like they do? UM won half of a championship in 1997, and their most recent one before that was like 1948. Notre Dame's last championship was 1988. Penn State's last championship was 1986. Tradition matters a hell of a lot more than you think it does, especially in college athletics where there is no draft. There is a reason IU has still recruited pretty darn well since Bob Knight.

Yep. It may not last forever but outside of the immediate West Laffy area, if you were to ask random folks which university in the state of Indiana was known for it's basketball program, most would say IU. Hell, I don't know if the next most would guess Purdue. Purdue has had more consistency this past decade or so, Butler made more of a name for themselves with back to back 'ship appearances, enough that they would likely finish second behind IU in that poll.

Tradition matters much more than the typical Boilermaker would care to admit.

Reactions: Courtsensethree
I'm 57 and I don't remember Purdue's last championship appearance. I remember several for IU.
It's becoming a distant memory. I will always acknowledge IU's success. Can't argue with 5 banners. But currently Purdue is the better program. Painter must continue to take advantage of IU's situation. He has 2 quality players committed already. If Painter lets this opportunity slip away, Iu will eventually regain control. Probably still too early to tell about Miller.
I didn't think he handled Romeo correctly. Yes, he scored a lot of points but he also stood around in the corner a lot. The offense seemed to flow better with him on the bench. Miller gets another chance with TJD coming in. This might be a critical year for Miller. Getting guards has always been a strength in the program but lately they are struggling. Good luck.

Reactions: PurdueSteve
Program includes all history.
No.
Purdue is not a better program, just had a coach longer.
When IU gets stable coaching it will bypass Purdue.
Purdue just accepts mediocrity.
I would rather be bad for short period of time to have a hard reset to be great, than good with no chance to ever be great.
How long do we need to be bad before we get good again?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
IU. The Al Bundy of college basketball.
PU, the old maid spinster of college basketball. If we are going with TV characters, how about PU is the Aunt Bee of college basketball. It is just never going to happen for you, is it? I'd rather have Bob Knight as the standard than Gene Keady.

Last edited:
In recruiting, a hell of a lot better than PU.
As of now using just rivals and ESPN Painter has landed 31 (soon to be 32 when Ivey gets bumped) players 4* and above since he's been at Purdue. I have IU with only a few more over the same time through 5 coaches.

05 - P =1 I = 2
06 - P =0 I = 0
07 - P =4 I = 3
08 - P =0 I = 2
09 - P =2 I = 3
10 - P =3 I = 0
11 - P =0 I = 1
12 - P =4 I = 3
13 - P =3 I = 4
14 - P =2 I = 2
15 - P =2 I = 2
16 - P =1 I = 2
17 - P =2 I = 4
18 - P =3 I = 5
19 - P =3 I = 2
20 - P =1(2) I = 0

Total
Purdue = 31(32)
Indiana = 35

Maybe you're talking about the rankings of the players above. Idk if that's a hell of a lot better but if it is then why have the results been so much worse and why has the head to head been in Purdue's favor over that timeframe?

As of now using just rivals and ESPN Painter has landed 31 (soon to be 32 when Ivey gets bumped) players 4* and above since he's been at Purdue. I have IU with only a few more over the same time through 5 coaches.

05 - P =1 I = 2
06 - P =0 I = 0
07 - P =4 I = 3
08 - P =0 I = 2
09 - P =2 I = 3
10 - P =3 I = 0
11 - P =0 I = 1
12 - P =4 I = 3
13 - P =3 I = 4
14 - P =2 I = 2
15 - P =2 I = 2
16 - P =1 I = 2
17 - P =2 I = 4
18 - P =3 I = 5
19 - P =3 I = 2
20 - P =1(2) I = 0

Total
Purdue = 31(32)
Indiana = 35

Maybe you're talking about the rankings of the players above. Idk if that's a hell of a lot better but if it is then why have the results been so much worse and why has the head to head been in Purdue's favor over that timeframe?
When was the last time an Eric Gordon, Cody Zeller, Yogi, or Romeo even sniffed PU? Glenn Robinson in 1991? It's not even close. When was the last time PU put an Oladipo into the NBA? Once again, Glenn Robinson?

Both Mike Davis and Sampson had winning records against PU. Mike Davis was 9-2 against PU. Crean was the coach for 9 of those years. I think the answer is Crean sucks as a coach, and he was fired because he sucks. IU is in the process of transitioning from Crean's program.

Last edited:
If tradition matters, how has it been working out for y’all?
5 National Championships
Working out well .
If you don't win it all then you failed.
Purdue has always failed in the history of their school.
How has that worked out for you?
How does failure taste every year with zero chance of ever winning?
It must suck being a PU fan with no realistic chance of ever winning in your lifetime.
That would be totally depressing.

Last edited:
When was the last time an Eric Gordon, Cody Zeller, Yogi, or Romeo even sniffed PU? Glenn Robinson in 1991? It's not even close.
Yes, on 5* players Indiana has a significant edge in the timeframe I listed.

IU

Gordon
Zeller
Yogi
Blackman
Vonleh
Romeo
TJD
Bryant?

Purdue

Swanigan (don't know why you forgot him)

When was the last time PU put an Oladipo into the NBA?.

I don't think anyone from oladipo's family went to Purdue.

Good job by Crean for identifying him and OG as underrated talents. Makes the results of those Indiana teams harder to swallow when they were made up of not only the 5* players above but diamonds in the rough like that as well.

Both Mike Davis and Sampson had winning records against PU. Mike Davis was 9-2 against PU. Crean was the coach for 9 of those years. I think the answer is Crean sucks as a coach, and he was fired because he sucks. IU is in the process of transitioning from Crean's program.
Yea the end of Keady's time at Purdue was rough and that's about when I started following Purdue. All I know now is Painter has a winning record vs IU and thats all I care about in the rivalry because those are the games I've witnessed.

5 National Championships
Working out well .
If you dont win it all then you failed.
It must suck being a PU fan with no realistic chance of ever winning in your lifetime.
You have me beat. I also have never experienced losing to Rutgers.

5 National Championships
Working out well .
If you dont win it all then you failed.
IU hasn't won anything in my lifetime either lol. Right now the team with the better chance at getting there is the one who was 5 seconds from the final 4 and not the one who took a double digit loss at home in the NIT. You have fun living in the past and I'll enjoy the present and the future. We both win that way

IU hasn't won anything in my lifetime either lol. Right now the team with the better chance at getting there is the one who was 5 seconds from the final 4 and not the one who took a double digit loss at home in the NIT. You have fun living in the past and I'll enjoy the present and the future. We both win that way
Crean couldn't do anything with the talent he recruited: that is why he isn't at IU anymore.

PU hasn't won anything in anybody's lifetime and never will, lol. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. It has been 40 years since PU went to a FF. You really think you aren't going to skip a beat going forward, lol. Is Nojel getting arm transplants from somebody that can shoot a basketball?

You're good with not having any tradition? Good for you.

Crean couldn't do anything with the talent he recruited: that is why he isn't at IU anymore.

PU hasn't won anything in anybody's lifetime and never will, lol. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. It has been 40 years since PU went to a FF. You really think you aren't going to skip a beat going forward, lol. Is Nojel getting arm transplants from somebody that can shoot a basketball?

I think this argument is kinda dumb. Combined we have the 2 best programs in the State. Think about being an Indiana State or Fort Wayne fan. Like, no way with all the 4 and 5 star recruits and tradition could they ever hope of winning at the Hall. Right?

I mean Fort Wayne is a little commuter school. IU is the flagship basketball school in Indiana. That’s always going to be a 30 point blowout for IU.

There was a ton of 4* talent on last years team. 2 years in and it's Creans fault still?

PU hasn't won anything in anybody's lifetime and never will, lol.
Oh boy! Now you're getting too emotional and saying things with your heart not your head.

The tradition you speak so highly of at IU isn't there any longer either. Lol, again, you have fun living in the past and I'll continue to enjoy the present/future

How does a big ten school in the state of Indiana not have any NCAA titles? You have long history of underperforming. So sad. but hey we came close once! Lets go around bragging about that! Total losers.

The ONLY way Morton was number one was that he was the first identified by IU for 2020.........he was NOT the top prority.
Archie must have posted a list of the players he’s recruiting in priority order somewhere. These guys wouldn’t just spout off about him being Archie’s number one recruit without some supporting evidence. They’re real honest “fans.”

It's becoming a distant memory. I will always acknowledge IU's success. Can't argue with 5 banners. But currently Purdue is the better program. Painter must continue to take advantage of IU's situation. He has 2 quality players committed already. If Painter lets this opportunity slip away, Iu will eventually regain control. Probably still too early to tell about Miller.
I didn't think he handled Romeo correctly. Yes, he scored a lot of points but he also stood around in the corner a lot. The offense seemed to flow better with him on the bench. Miller gets another chance with TJD coming in. This might be a critical year for Miller. Getting guards has always been a strength in the program but lately they are struggling. Good luck.

Reasonable post.

There was a ton of 4* talent on last years team. 2 years in and it's Creans fault still?

Oh boy! Now you're getting too emotional and saying things with your heart not your head.

The tradition you speak so highly of at IU isn't there any longer either. Lol, again, you have fun living in the past and I'll continue to enjoy the present/future
PU had a crappy transition from Keady to Painter. I'd figure you would give Archie the same benefit of the doubt, especially since he made it to an Elite 8 at a non-Power 5 school. Elite 8's are like National Championships at PU. Shoot, Mike Davis owned Keady and went to a FF: didn't happen that long ago.

PU has never won anything: ever. Never will. Prove me wrong. IU has won National Championships and had three storied coaches. One of those coaches is on the Mt. Rushmore of college basketball coaches. Same as Michigan, Penn St., and Notre Dame football. Tradition never dies. Since PU doesn't have tradition, you have to poop upon it: I get it, sour grapes.

Every significant player from the past few years is gone at PU. I will enjoy watching you come back down to Earth and Nojel attempt to shoot.

Your future is basically the past 10 years. Good, but not spectacular teams.

This is why you are total losers. You have fun losing! Win the damn title or STFU!

How does a big ten school in the state of Indiana not have any NCAA titles? You have long history of underperforming. So sad. but hey we came close once! Lets go around bragging about that! Total losers.
It is sad. You'd think they would've lucked into one by now. If I had to compare to something equally as sad I would say it's similar to missing the tournament altogether 8 out of 12 years.

How does a BT team with all this tradition and high level recruits get blown out at home by 20 to commuter school that’s had a basketball program for about 30 years. And the same year they get blown out by 20 to a bottom feeder mid-major with a losing conference record? Seems like you have a problem beating teams that don’t have “tradition.”

Reactions: PurdueSteve
It is sad. You'd think they would've lucked into one by now. If I had to compare to something equally as sad I would say it's similar to missing the tournament altogether 8 out of 12 years.

Not even close. Because at the end of day we both ended up in the same spot. NO TITLES. Purdue is not really known for its sports. What do you guys hays have maybe 3 ncaa titles in all sports? Yet you are here bragging. That is equally as sad.

How does a BT team with all this tradition and high level recruits get blown out at home by 20 to commuter school that’s had a basketball program for about 30 years. And the same year they get blown out by 20 to a bottom feeder mid-major with a losing conference record? Seems like you have a problem beating teams that don’t have “tradition.”
Its embarrassing but not as sad as a big ten school in the state of Indiana with zero titles.

Ask Keady and Painter or a wide variety of other coaches why they had rough times during their transitions. Where has your patience gone all of the sudden? You have waited on Keady and Painter for 40 years to make a FF, and it still hasn't happened and you are fine with it. It is all part of the "plan."

Ask Keady and Painter or a wide variety of other coaches why they had rough times during their transitions. Where has your patience gone all of the sudden? You have waited on Keady and Painter for 40 years to make a FF, and it still hasn't happened and you are fine with it. It is all part of the "plan."
When was the last time purdue made a FF? I have never seen a more easy to please fan base. They are fine with their slightly above average teams.

Ask Keady and Painter or a wide variety of other coaches why they had rough times during their transitions. Where has your patience gone all of the sudden? You have waited on Keady and Painter for 40 years to make a FF, and it still hasn't happened and you are fine with it.
Of course Purdue and others would struggle. We don’t have “tradition.” IU does. And with all that tradition the AD was able to nab their 9th choice to replace Crean.

I also wonder how a school with such “tradition” winds up with a noted snake oil salesmen like Sampson and Crean?

Maybe somebody needs you to show Brad Stevens your VHS tapes of the last time IU made it to the semis in The BT tourney. Not the multiple losses to no-tradition Rutgers.

Of course Purdue and others would struggle. We don’t have “tradition.” IU does. And with all that tradition the AD was able to nab their 9th choice to replace Crean.

I also wonder how a school with such “tradition” winds up with a noted snake oil salesmen like Sampson and Crean?

Maybe somebody needs you to show Brad Stevens your VHS tapes of the last time IU made it to the semis in The BT tourney. Not the multiple losses to no-tradition Rutgers.
Why are you so concerned with IU? When was the last time Purdue made a FF? You are not a sports school. Your lack of NCAA titles is concerning. Lets not forget your seasons ended the same way as IU. With a L! But hey you been a little bit better than IU lately. Hang your hat on that. So sad, This is the mentality that is why Purdue has zero NCAA titles. Heck you have maybe 3 combined in other sports. Not a sports school.

PU had a crappy transition from Keady to Painter. I'd figure you would give Archie the same benefit of the doubt, especially since he made it to an Elite 8 at a non-Power 5 school. Elite 8's are like National Championships at PU. Shoot, Mike Davis owned Keady and went to a FF: didn't happen that long ago.
Always fun to unpack your responses.

That transition was bad but it was still painters team and he's responsible for it. Much worse roster than what Archie got in year 1. Painter did go to the tournament in year 2 however and then had his teams competing at the top of the conference starting in year 3. Do you feel that confident with Archie or does he need more time?

Also should note that you were big on calling out what you felt were excuses in a conversation with me a week or so ago. Is saying Archie needs time to transition not an excuse? Irony.

PU has never won anything: ever. Never will. Prove me wrong. IU has won National Championships and had three storied coaches. One of those coaches is on the Mt. Rushmore of college basketball coaches. Same as Michigan, Penn St., and Notre Dame football. Tradition never dies. Since PU doesn't have tradition, you have to poop upon it: I get it, sour grapes.
Prove you wrong that they will never win anything? In the future? You just are all kinds of worked up right now aren't you.

With your comparison to the football powers you know there are exceptions to every rule. Indiana basketball is fighting like hell to become that exception because all I've ever seen from them is talk about that tradition but results that are worse than that awful Purdue team you talk so poorly of. That's not sour grapes that's just how it's been for 15 years. Congrats!

Every significant player from the past few years is gone at PU. I will enjoy watching you come back down to Earth and Nojel attempt to shoot.
Doesn't that suck that your first sentence is true and they're still winning. Hammons and Davis left and Purdue kept winning. Swanigan goes and they win the most games in a Purdue season. Haas, Mathias, Vince, and PJ leave and they go farther than a painter team has before. It's had to have been hard to watch that.

I'm glad you'll enjoy watching Purdue. If Nojel is able to shoot then I agree it would be awesome. If his % is anything like Romeo's then I'd prefer him to continue not shooting from deep though.

Its embarrassing but not as sad as a big ten school in the state of Indiana with zero titles.
Not as embarrassing as having to scurry past the 25 Mastodon fans enjoying a blow out on my home court.

“Tradition. We have it. Why don’t you teams who keep beating us, coaches who ignore us, and selection committees who reject us listen to us.!”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT