ADVERTISEMENT

Morton to PU

Yea I don't care about that. Glad you like history and keep track of rival schools though.

When you start on that stuff it makes me happy as both a Purdue fan and a Reds fan.

Purdue fan in me is happy that my team is successful now and I don't have to resort to talking about success from before I was alive. Then the Reds fan in me is happy because using your thought process I get to brag about the history of being the first pro team and the big red machine even though they suck now.

As a PU fan you have never had success. So would you prefer success at some point or at no point?

Reactions: Courtsensethree
All of these recruits weren't alive for IU's last championship appearance. It might mean something to a kid growing up following IU, but i'd imagine most kids dont care at all.

So why has IU still out-recruited PU most years, even with IU in it’s worst stretch in history & PU in it’s best? The IU brand still carries weight, even if not as much as 20 years ago. Be a better troll...

So why has IU still out-recruited PU most years, even with IU in it’s worst stretch in history & PU in it’s best? The IU brand still carries weight, even if not as much as 20 years ago. Be a better troll...

IU will still out recruit PU next year too. This is a borderline top FIFTY recruit we are talking about. Ha Our bench is full of those.

Reactions: Courtsensethree
This is a borderline top FIFTY recruit we are talking about. Ha Our bench is full of those.
giphy.gif

Last championship appearance for IU was 2002 so, technically, 18 year olds were alive. When was Purdue's last championship appearance?
For whatever reason I thought it was 2001. Either way, you get the point. We can shift gears and talk about UCLA. Most kids today aren't drawn to UCLA because of Wooden's championships.

The championships often lead to more money to reinvest into things kids now care about, but dusty banners aren't what they're looking for.

For whatever reason I thought it was 2001. Either way, you get the point. We can shift gears and talk about UCLA. Most kids today aren't drawn to UCLA because of Wooden's championships.

The championships often lead to more money to reinvest into things kids now care about, but dusty banners aren't what they're looking for.
Better off having no banners? I see y'all hanging up that 1932 fake dusty banner, lol.

Better off having no banners? I see y'all hanging up that 1932 fake banner, lol.
Still not the point. You care about them. I, along with every fan ever, wishes my team had 50 championship banners to hang up. I am saying that 16/17/18 year old recruits don't care. All of the above can be true.

Still not the point. You care about them. I, along with every fan ever, wishes my team had 50 championship banners to hang up. I am saying that 16/17/18 year old recruits don't care. All of the above can be true.
Actually it does matter.
IU has proven it can win National Championships, to the player who still wants to win a National Championship. Most just want their talent showcased for a year for the NBA.
I think eventually the kids looking to be a professional basketball player before their 20th birthday will no longer go to college at all, i think the G-League will eventually expand to be a true Minor League of the NBA. NBA level Kids may go from AAU to HS Prep School to G-League and then to the NBA. Completely bypassing traditional HS and college teams. That seems to be the rising trend.

Boilers are confusing.
First they want banners (because they don't have any), then they don't want any banners ( also because they don't have any).

Pay him no mind. He only posts about Purdue, since he’s obsessed with the Boilers. Keep in mind he’s also the guy who had his claim of being a lawyer blown to bits.

This is the first I've heard of this kid. PU fans are super excited about this. That's so cute...
Archie, as well as all the people who follow recruiting, knew who he was. Not surprising you were unaware, though. Miller wanted him badly, something that makes Painter getting him a little more disappointing.

Boilers are confusing.
First they want banners (because they don't have any), then they don't want any banners ( also because they don't have any).
I want to experience putting one up, not brag about the ones I wasn't alive to see. You may be old enough to have seen one but 0 recruits have and neither has the vast majority of the players in the NBA today (dirk and Vince Carter would've been little kids). Recruits and especially out of state recruits aren't going to make their decision based on what Indiana did when their parents were kids.

As a Reds fan my parents talk about how good the big red machine was but I wasn't alive so I don't get the same satisfaction. It's basically good trivia for me to know at this point. Knowing this doesn't make me want to turn around and brag to a Brewers fan about the Reds being better because of those teams in the 70s when the Brewers have been significantly better than the Reds in recent years. They still haven't won a World Series but in the current landscape it doesn't mean anything.

I want to experience putting one up, not brag about the ones I wasn't alive to see. You may be old enough to have seen one but 0 recruits have and neither has the vast majority of the players in the NBA today (dirk and Vince Carter would've been little kids). Recruits and especially out of state recruits aren't going to make their decision based on what Indiana did when their parents were kids.

As a Reds fan my parents talk about how good the big red machine was but I wasn't alive so I don't get the same satisfaction. It's basically good trivia for me to know at this point. Knowing this doesn't make me want to turn around and brag to a Brewers fan about the Reds being better because of those teams in the 70s when the Brewers have been significantly better than the Reds in recent years. They still haven't won a World Series but in the current landscape it doesn't mean anything.
I watched 3 IU National Championships, and the Reds Big Red Machine (Johnny Bench is the greatest catcher off all-time), and multiple NY Yankees World Championships. Winning is fun!

Reactions: jimmygoiu
100%, this is the worst recruiting miss that I can remember. Not in terms of just his ranking or anything but this is a top 50 kid from Archie's hometown who Archie's been after for years. It was for sure Archie's top target, and Painter literally came in late and stole him. I can't remember Purdue doing that with a recruit IU wanted in a long time.

People can try to sugarcoat it all they want but this one flat out stings, and it doesn't show well for what recruits are currently thinking of IU as a program. He literally chose to live in West Lafayette over Bloomington, that says it all right there.

The worst part about it is that we can't beat Purdue with the better recruits, I cringe at what they'll do to us if they start stealing our top prospects. Very sad state of affairs currently.

Purdue offered Morton almost a month before IU. Purdue was recruiting this kid equally as hard. 100% worst recruiting miss you can remember? Were you in a coma a couple months ago when Brooks committed to UK? Settle down buddy.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

And yet here today you can't brag about EITHER! So why are you here again?

If Purdue had those NC banners I would be proud of them too. They are important to us fans. I will confess to rooting for Bobby Knight and those tough Indiana kids at every championship game. They were fun to watch, and I remember those games.

I think the mistake made in referencing those banners (regarding recruiting specifically) is thinking the kids you are recruiting put much weight in them. Not one person connected to winning those banners can be found in the IU basketball program today. IU wins banners? No, coach Knight and a bunch of 18-20 year old's won those banners. The kids recognize that situation, so the 50 year old history of a storied program gets a "That's nice" type of response from current high school kids. They look harder at recent years and the current state of the program when making a decision to commit.

Reactions: BleedinGold
If Purdue had those NC banners I would be proud of them too. They are important to us fans. I will confess to rooting for Bobby Knight and those tough Indiana kids at every championship game. They were fun to watch, and I remember those games.

I think the mistake made in referencing those banners (regarding recruiting specifically) is thinking the kids you are recruiting put much weight in them. Not one person connected to winning those banners can be found in the IU basketball program today. IU wins banners? No, coach Knight and a bunch of 18-20 year old's won those banners. The kids recognize that situation, so the 50 year old history of a storied program gets a "That's nice" type of response from current high school kids. They look harder at recent years and the current state of the program when making a decision to commit.
Then how do Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame football recruit like they do? UM won half of a championship in 1997, and their most recent one before that was like 1948. Notre Dame's last championship was 1988. Penn State's last championship was 1986. Tradition matters a hell of a lot more than you think it does, especially in college athletics where there is no draft. There is a reason IU has still recruited pretty darn well since Bob Knight.

Brooks was a much bigger miss than Mortom
Then how do Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame football recruit like they do? UM won half of a championship in 1997, and their most recent one before that was like 1948. Notre Dame's last championship was 1988. Penn State's last championship was 1986. Tradition matters a hell of a lot more than you think it does, especially in college athletics where there is no draft. There is a reason IU has still recruited pretty darn well since Bob Knight.
Purdue does not understand tradition because they have none.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT