ADVERTISEMENT

Morton to PU

I would rather have the Indiana players Leal and Galloway. Dominate Indiana.

Change your mind recently?

Leal and Morton please!

I do agree that Galloway is going to be a very good college player though. I was wanting Purdue to get him for a long time but idk if they'll go for a 3rd guard in this class now. To be honest I don't know much about Leal. Never thought he'd go anywhere but Indiana so didn't bother looking. Good duo to land if that's what happens

Purdue has a better program than we do. Why can’t people just accept that?
Program includes all history.
No.
Purdue is not a better program, just had a coach longer.
When IU gets stable coaching it will bypass Purdue.
Purdue just accepts mediocrity.
I would rather be bad for short period of time to have a hard reset to be great, than good with no chance to ever be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregHaggard
No.
I would rather be bad for short period of time to have a hard reset to be great, than good with no chance to ever be great.
All of these recruits weren't alive for IU's last championship appearance. It might mean something to a kid growing up following IU, but i'd imagine most kids dont care at all.

No.

25 years is not a short period of time

All of these recruits weren't alive for IU's last championship appearance. It might mean something to a kid growing up following IU, but i'd imagine most kids dont care at all.
Last championship appearance for IU was 2002 so, technically, 18 year olds were alive. When was Purdue's last championship appearance?

Purdue has a better program than we do. Why can’t people just accept that?

You could argue about that forever. Purdue has the recent success (we've won 8 of the last 9; from 1972-1976 Bob Knight only ever won 7 of 8). IU has the better postseason history, better media coverage, and more non-alumni fans. You'll never get basketball fans to agree on how much weight should be put on the various categories, so we'll just argue about it forever on message boards. And with 6 months until college basketball starts up again, those kinds of arguments are the only way for us junkies to get our cbb fix.

What Purdue definitely does have right now is a better basketball culture than IU. I think there are a few reasons for that, but I'm a Purdue fan, so I'm sure y'all will disagree with some of this, but here's what I think.
  • Purdue has all stakeholders on the same page, pulling the oars in the same direction. The fans, players, AD, university President, trustees, head coach, assistant coach, and athletic support staff (and I'd add the head football coach in here, too) all have a common vision for what they want Purdue to be and what success looks like.
  • Painter has been around the block and knows exactly what type of player he needs to succeed. It helps that there's no such thing as a "must-get" recruit for Purdue. We aren't going to ever be in a situation where the fans will riot if we don't land a particular local star. Having to take target local kids that weren't really a good fit is what sunk Weber at Illinois, and you could argue whether Romeo ultimately ended up falling into that category for IU. From here on out, Painter is only going to get "Purdue guys." It's just a question of whether we can start to get the most talented kids in that category. Morton is a step in the right direction.
  • IU's reputation as a party school probably helps you land some recruits, but it's the type of recruits who are attracted to the idea of being out and about on a Saturday night as a campus celebrity, which doesn't help build a winning culture.
  • IU doesn't have a lot of continuity back to its glory days. What does IU still have in common with those teams from the 80s? Candy-stripe warmup pants, Don Fischer, and Broom Lady. Those are nice totems to have, but they aren't the kind of thing that give your program an identity. What is IU basketball all about? Defense, getting Indiana kids, taking care of the ball, playing by the rules, making sure kids go to class... all of those things have gone out of style at IU at one point or another over the past 25 years.
  • The contrast between Gene Keady's relationship with Purdue and Bob Knight's relationship with IU is pretty stark. New Purdue students come in and learn to love Gene and feel a connection to that history. New IU students either come in loving Bob because their parents remember those great seasons or hating him because of all of the controversy he caused over the years. That makes for a fanbase that can't quite agree on what IU was, is, or should be.
  • The way that the Paint Crew is organized helps foster the Purdue culture, too. Show up early, wear a plain black t-shirt, and be as loud as you can. The most dedicated students are always closest to the action. IU can't have general admission because the students are split into three different sections of the arena, and that hurts when students with good seats show up five minutes after tipoff (and drunk). I will say that the sheer number of students IU has at games is impressive, and I'm glad you guys have gotten away from the "big celebrity head" era that you had under Crean. (How a big Will Ferrell head helps you win basketball games, I never understood.)
IU has been down before, and Purdue couldn't take advantage. IU has been "back" before, and IU couldn't really take advantage, either. The next 4-5 years look like they'll tell the tale. If Purdue doesn't permanently elevate its national profile and its recruiting level, I don't know if we ever will. And if IU doesn't reassert itself as the dominant program in the Big Ten, I'm not sure if you ever will, either.

And no has EVER been alive to see PUs last national title game so, what's your point?
If IU keep having seasons like last several, no one is going to be alive anymore to have seen the last IU championship. Next season doesn't appear to be any different.

Reactions: Daxuslives
I'm 57 and I don't remember Purdue's last championship appearance. I remember several for IU.

Reactions: Courtsensethree
If IU keep having seasons like last several, no one is going to be alive anymore to have seen the last IU championship. Next season doesn't appear to be any different.
You really think PU won't be taking a couple steps back next year? I look forward to the team revolving around Nojel Eastern. I would be more worried that PU hasn't been to a FF in 40 years and last year was Painter's magnum opus (although I'm sure this is all part of the "plan").

He was Archie's priority #1 for 2020. It's a kick in the groin for IU.
100%, this is the worst recruiting miss that I can remember. Not in terms of just his ranking or anything but this is a top 50 kid from Archie's hometown who Archie's been after for years. It was for sure Archie's top target, and Painter literally came in late and stole him. I can't remember Purdue doing that with a recruit IU wanted in a long time.

People can try to sugarcoat it all they want but this one flat out stings, and it doesn't show well for what recruits are currently thinking of IU as a program. He literally chose to live in West Lafayette over Bloomington, that says it all right there.

The worst part about it is that we can't beat Purdue with the better recruits, I cringe at what they'll do to us if they start stealing our top prospects. Very sad state of affairs currently.

What is the Purdue connection that led him to West Lafayette from PA?
IMG_5989.jpg

It has been 88 years since PU's last fake bakery championship.
Yea I don't care about that. Glad you like history and keep track of rival schools though.

When you start on that stuff it makes me happy as both a Purdue fan and a Reds fan.

Purdue fan in me is happy that my team is successful now and I don't have to resort to talking about success from before I was alive. Then the Reds fan in me is happy because using your thought process I get to brag about the history of being the first pro team and the big red machine even though they suck now.

100%, this is the worst recruiting miss that I can remember. Not in terms of just his ranking or anything but this is a top 50 kid from Archie's hometown who Archie's been after for years. It was for sure Archie's top target, and Painter literally came in late and stole him. I can't remember Purdue doing that with a recruit IU wanted in a long time.

People can try to sugarcoat it all they want but this one flat out stings, and it doesn't show well for what recruits are currently thinking of IU as a program. He literally chose to live in West Lafayette over Bloomington, that says it all right there.

The worst part about it is that we can't beat Purdue with the better recruits, I cringe at what they'll do to us if they start stealing our top prospects. Very sad state of affairs currently.
What about Romeo? That was a pretty nice recruiting win. It looked really bad that Painter wasn't even in the running for the #5 rated recruit in the nation from Indiana and that PU hasn't landed a recruit that high since Glenn Robinson in 1991. Archie comes in after 1 year and does what PU hasn't done since 1991. I know PU fans like to spin it as sour grapes, but they would still be doing cartwheels if Romeo went to PU.

What about TJD this year? IU has landed more Indiana Mr. Basketballs than every other school in Indiana combined with room to spare. Why didn't TJD give Painter the time of day?

Reactions: Courtsensethree
What about Romeo? That was a pretty nice recruiting win. It looked really bad that Painter wasn't even in the running for the #5 rated recruit in the nation from Indiana and that PU hasn't landed a recruit that high since Glenn Robinson in 1991. Archie comes in after 1 year and does what PU hasn't done since 1991. I know PU fans like to spin it as sour grapes, but they would still be doing cartwheels if Romeo went to PU.

What about TJD this year? IU has landed more Indiana Mr. Basketballs than every other school in Indiana combined with room to spare. Why didn't TJD give Painter the time of day?
You're making my point, this is the first time in a long time that I've seen a kid (especially from outside of the state in our coaches hometown no less) choose West Lafayette over Bloomington especially when Painter came in after Archie. It's unbelievable really, and not a good sign for where our program currently stands.

ADVERTISEMENT