ADVERTISEMENT

Moreno to Kentucky???

Status
Not open for further replies.

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Saw On3 has predicted Moreno to Kentucky. Kinda crazy. Pope hasn’t proven anything and Moreno has spoken highly of IU. Obviously Woody gets big men to the NBA and develops them well.

Saw On3 has predicted Moreno to Kentucky. Kinda crazy. Pope hasn’t proven anything and Moreno has spoken highly of IU. Obviously Woody gets big men to the NBA and develops them well.
Is it crazy? The kid grew up a stones throw away and rooted for them growing up. I have figured all along that this would be a tough sell. It isn’t unattainable, but I think it is a coin flip at best.

Is it crazy? The kid grew up a stones throw away and rooted for them growing up. I have figured all along that this would be a tough sell. It isn’t unattainable, but I think it is a coin flip at best.
Agreed. The big man thing probably carries weight and might even moreso if he were waiting until Ballo/Reanu might be drafted, but that ain't happenin'.

I've really thought all along our best chance with him rests with the IE package deal with Mullins and Sisley. Great that they are taking their visit together, and of the 3, he'd have the most direct path to PT next year, imo. I don't think it's likely, but I do think there's a chance with them. We're going to be losing TG, AL, Ballo, Hatton, Carter and Goode for sure, and likely Mbako and even possibly Reanu. That's a heckuva lot of NIL $$ freed up, and I'd guess non 5* freshmen command less NIL than proven portal guys or 5*. In short, I'm guessing their value to IU is higher than almost every other school pursuing them. So, they could come and play together, and likely earn as much or more here if our staff wanted to go after them. Again, just with that many guys and the twists and turns, I don't think it's likely, but I also don't think there's no chance if we decided to pursue them hard.

Last edited:
Don’t pay attention to that. It’s an algorithm prediction “machine”. It actually sucks. Matter of fact most at bbn think he doesn’t end up at Kentucky.

It needs verified, I heard that a couple years ago on here and never looked into it.
I know that's how they impute NIL value, which is useless. They're big on the social media influence. Would make sense they do it for predictions instead of hiring people. Lot cheaper to swizzle an algo.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I’m posting this because people get fixated on on3 dump prediction machine. Moreno is the 2nd ranked big in a weak class for bigs. I bet whomever doesn’t get him gets a good one in the portal.
I'll be hoping that Jasper Johnson doesn't pick UK, which may add a little doubt for Moreno. In looking at the article linked there was a story that Johnson made a surprise visit to UK, yesterday I think, so that bodes well for them, as it was thought he was probably deciding between UNC and Bama.

I'll be hoping that Jasper Johnson doesn't pick UK, which may add a little doubt for Moreno. In looking at the article linked there was a story that Johnson made a surprise visit to UK, yesterday I think, so that bodes well for them, as it was thought he was probably deciding between UNC and Bama.
Hard to tell. Some of these visits I think are for positioning for max NIL. This will also make it hard for the hacks to predict landing spots. More spring and summer commits I’d assume also. I think he ends up at UNC.

Reactions: kkott
Hard to tell. Some of these visits I think are for positioning for max NIL. This will also make it hard for the hacks to predict landing spots. More spring and summer commits I’d assume also. I think he ends up at UNC.
Makes sense. Driving up your asking price is a good business decision. That is what college football and basketball has become.

Agreed. The big man thing probably carries weight and might even moreso if he were waiting until Ballo/Reanu might be drafted, but that ain't happenin'.

I've really thought all along our best chance with him rests with the IE package deal with Mullins and Sisley. Great that they are taking their visit together, and of the 3, he'd have the most direct path to PT next year, imo. I don't think it's likely, but I do think there's a chance with them. We're going to be losing TG, AL, Ballo, Hatton, Carter and Goode for sure, and likely Mbako and even possibly Reanu. That's a heckuva lot of NIL $$ freed up, and I'd guess non 5* freshmen command less NIL than proven portal guys or 5*. In short, I'm guessing their value to IU is higher than almost every other school pursuing them. So, they could come and play together, and likely earn as much or more here if our staff wanted to go after them. Again, just with that many guys and the twists and turns, I don't think it's likely, but I also don't think there's no chance if we decided to pursue them hard.

If Woody can get Ballo drafted (highly unlikely, I know), then that should speak volumes to Moreno or any other C. Moreno should wait. Can't think of a reason he should commit anytime soon.

If Woody can get Ballo drafted (highly unlikely, I know), then that should speak volumes to Moreno or any other C. Moreno should wait. Can't think of a reason he should commit anytime soon.
I'm not a recruitnik, but I won't be surprised one bit if Ballo plays in the NBA and gets drafted. Guy is a physical beast and good in pnr, protecting paint, rebounding and putbacks. Gonna get some buckets without having anything run for him. If he stays healthy, I'll actually be surprised if he doesn't find a spot, and a team at least gambles a second round pick on him. I could see it being even higher if he's healthy this year and pushes up into 14/10 #s which I think is possible, again if healthy. The NBA has always found spots for guys that can protect the paint, screen and defend. Might be a situation for him where it's actually better to be a free agent and choose his spot vs being selected in the second round.

And, ask yourself why did he come to IU? He had a starting spot on a top 10 team at AZ. He came here to try and push himself into being drafted, imo, so he at least thinks he's capable of more; and that Woody can help him get there.

Makes sense. Driving up your asking price is a good business decision. That is what college football and basketball has become.
I don't get why this bothers folks. Yeah, who wants to cash in on the value they help create? I mean, besides all of us? What I hate is that our society values athletes so much more than teachers, cops, firemen, etc... but I don't begrudge anyone for making $$ of value they help create.

Last edited:
I'm not a recruitnik, but I won't be surprised one bit if Ballo plays in the NBA and gets drafted. Guy is a physical beast and good in pnr, protecting paint, rebounding and putbacks. Gonna get some buckets without having anything run for him. If he stays healthy, I'll actually be surprised if he doesn't find a spot, and a team at least gambles a second round pick on him. I could see it being even higher if he's healthy this year and pushes up into 14/10 #s which I think is possible, again if healthy. The NBA has always found spots for guys that can protect the paint, screen and defend. Might be a situation for him where it's actually better to be a free agent and choose his spot vs being selected in the second round.

And, ask yourself why did he come to IU? He had a starting spot on a top 10 team at AZ. He came here to try and push himself into being drafted, imo, so he at least thinks he's capable of more; and that Woody can help him get there.
5th year 7’0 that hasn’t been drafted yet probably isn’t getting drafted. I hope he does but highly unlikely.

That and he got a bag he might not get otherwise. Hes a perfect fit on paper. Will be nice having a garbage guy. He should lead the B1G in OR.

Reactions: HooRed and T.M.P.
I don't get why this bothers folks. Yeah, who wants to cash in on the value they help create? I mean, besides all of us? What I hate is that our society values athletes so much more than teachers, cops, firemen, etc... but I don't begrudge anyone for making $$ of value they help create.
A lot of fans complain about college players getting paid or transferring, but those same fans in their profession will change employers for a 10%+ raise and they sure as heck won't work for free or for a big discount.

That and he got a bag he might not get otherwise. Hes a perfect fit on paper. Will be nice having a garbage guy. He should lead the B1G in OR.
Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't getting money at AZ? Maybe we paid more, but I'm confident he was getting good $ at AZ.

Stand around and dump it in offense suits him if that continues.

rumors of course how much. He left AZ fast for a reason(s). It’s probably safe to say he got more from us.
It really did not hurt Arizona losing Ballo, they are still ranked about where they finished last year. For IU, Ballo is a step down from Ware, can't shoot, has trouble staying on the floor, FREE THROWS, but he is a good rebounder, not as good as Ware, but should get 10 a game. Problem IU has, a couple of MAC type players are his back up! And just for your info, Ballo is closer to 6' 10" than 7'! IU had better become a lot better at shooting the 3, or defenses are going to pack the paint, and Ballo may shoot more than 10 free throws a game at 49% clip!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It really did not hurt Arizona losing Ballo, they are still ranked about where they finished last year. For IU, Ballo is a step down from Ware, can't shoot, has trouble staying on the floor, FREE THROWS, but he is a good rebounder, not as good as Ware, but should get 10 a game. Problem IU has, a couple of MAC type players are his back up! And just for your info, Ballo is closer to 6' 10" than 7'! IU had better become a lot better at shooting the 3, or defenses are going to pack the paint, and Ballo may shoot more than 10 free throws a game at 49% clip!
He's the best defensive 5 in the country and was an All-P12 performer the last two years for a top 5 team. STFU.

You are dumb as shit

Reactions: Vern Pain
I get it….you hope all of those things are true. He won’t be asked to do the same things Ware was. So just keep jibber jabbing jiberish.

Closer to 6'10 than 7'...damn, he better work on his guard skills then!!

You trying to be funny with this post?

I get it….you hope all of those things are true. He won’t be asked to do the same things Ware was. So just keep jibber jabbing jiberish.
He lost me at Ware is a better rebounder, which is laughable. Ballo is one of the best rebounding bigs in the NCAA.

Ware, 17.5%, 17.7 per 100, 12.3 per 40.
Ballo, 21.1%, 21.3 per 100, 15.6 per 40.

Offensive rebound percentage,
Ware 7.9
Ballo 15.1

It's a no contest. The fool is just making shit up ..

He lost me at Ware is a better rebounder, which is laughable. Ballo is one of the best rebounding bigs in the NCAA.

Ware, 17.5%, 17.7 per 100, 12.3 per 40.
Ballo, 21.1%, 21.3 per 100, 15.6 per 40.

Offensive rebound percentage,
Ware 7.9
Ballo 15.1

It's a no contest. The fool is just making shit up ..
T.M.P.,
The chart I just researched had Ballo at 17% (o.r.%) last season and ranked in the top 20 nationally. He goes hard for offensive rebounds and if he avoids fouling, he is perfect for our needs. Glad we got him.

Tax dollars are what fund teachers, cops, firemen, etc..
Athletes? Not so much.

Society funds both, no? Teachers are paid OK in some states and horrendously in others. I'm speaking for myself personally, but as pro athletes salaries have spiraled up, I've lost more and more interest and I think at it's core it's because it bothers me that pro bball/fball players are making $30 mill/yr and teachers in NC/SC make $40-55K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT