ADVERTISEMENT

Minneapolis post Floyd. Quite an indictment on

I think we should stop voting for any party who supported segregation and opposed gay marriage or women's suffrage. After all, no party or politician changes their policy positions or governing decisions. Ever.

Do you think it's possible that policy and what people run on in 2024 could be different than in 2020? No one is running on defunding the police in 2024.
Let’s hear what they are running on. My position is that Biden has been co-opted by progressives. It’s evident in his vp and cabinet picks and identity politics and confirmed just recently with his vow to pick progressive justices.

Progressive policies haven’t changed.

So let’s hear what he says at the debate

Reactions: DANC
Let’s hear what they are running on. My position is that Biden has been co-opted by progressives. It’s evident in his vp and cabinet picks and identity politics and confirmed just recently with his vow to pick progressive justices.

Progressive policies haven’t changed.

So let’s hear what he says at the debate
It's not hard to find the Biden Administration's actions on crime. If you want to know what Biden will run on regarding making cities safer, that's a pretty good framework.

Notice, nothing there says he'll revert to the unsafe, pre-2020 policies of his predecessor or secretly lean on a cabal of secret liberal police haters.

Reactions: Bowlmania
It's not hard to find the Biden Administration's actions on crime. If you want to know what Biden will run on regarding making cities safer, that's a pretty good framework.

Notice, nothing there says he'll revert to the unsafe, pre-2020 policies of his predecessor or secretly lean on a cabal of secret liberal police haters.
That is so disingenuous. 2020 was the defund police cops exodus year. It’s when Harris was declaring cops murderers, cities were defunding, and bail projects instituted. It’s why the largest police organization in the country elected not to endorse Biden. Harris was for defunding and the mn bail project.

Yep, I fully expect the biased judge to do it. That will assure Trump’s election.
the only biased judge is cannon, who has had multiple decisions overturned on appeal.

If he was so biased. I am sure Trump's appeal will save the day but I'm sure if he loses the appeal, you'll say that judge is also biased.

Because Trump is just a victim after all. It's everyone else that is wrong lol

When did she make that declaration? I'm genuinely curious.
2 second search

Bail

Rush to judgment

Have her views changed?

2 second search

Bail

Rush to judgment

Have her views changed?
2 second response. See my post #80. I already acknowledged her "reimagining" certain aspects of public safety. That's not defunding. Stop being disingenuous.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I believe they are still progressives. And no I won’t vote for them. Unlike you I don’t live in rural America. I feel the consequences of their bullshit. So do my kids
I don’t believe there is some progressive playbook that all Democrats signed a blood oath to uphold and govern by.

You saw what the White House put out on what they’re doing on crime, but you just know that that’s disingenuous . You claim they’re beholden to some progressive policy bible, but I don’t see any evidence that they’re running on the lax policies you claim they’re running on. Is this a gut/feeling thing for you?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
2 second response. See my post #80. I already acknowledged her "reimagining" certain aspects of public safety. That's not defunding. Stop being disingenuous.
Of course that’s defunding. Read it. Less cops. Don’t be disingenuous. if i take money away from police on the streets and give it to social services that's defunding police. don't get fooled by semantics or some antics

Last edited:
I don’t believe there is some progressive playbook that all Democrats signed a blood oath to unhold and govern by.

You saw what the White House put out on what they’re doing in crime, but you just know that that’s disingenuous . You claim they’re beholden to some progressive policy bible, but I don’t see any evidence that they’re running on the lax policies you claim they’re running on. Is this a gut/feeling thing for you?
I think it is nothing more than mcm regurgitating conservative media

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Well that's the problem when you have a two party system, isn't it? I'm pro choice, but I care more about economic policy and foreign policy, generally speaking. I haven't been truly supportive of any vote I've cast since I turned 18 and it's only getting worse.
Personally, I think it's more of a existential decision between Biden and Trump, at least democratically speaking. I feel like all the policy stuff can shift, change, evolve and be debated within our tried and true political system. I believe electing Trump puts on a very slippery slope that fundamentally threatens our whole political, democratic system.

I'm not over-the-moon that Biden is the alternative to that.

I dont think you and @mrhighlife get it. Police were defunded cops attacked and crime hit decade high levels. Cities then began funding the police again and reverting back to pre progressive policy policing. This is an indictment on progressive policies. You don’t get to say hey crime is good now. It’s better now because people are beginning to understand voting for progressives is bad for policy. You don’t go back to supporting politicians who supported that idiocy. You’ll get those same results

This isn’t hard. You both would do well to read the cnn Minneapolis article. It’s excellent

It's a damn shame if that's all you took from the excellent CNN article you linked. And not just a damn shame, it's also wrong on several accounts, missing the nuance and thoughtfulness that make the CNN article excellent.

I don’t believe there is some progressive playbook that all Democrats signed a blood oath to uphold and govern by.

You saw what the White House put out on what they’re doing on crime, but you just know that that’s disingenuous . You claim they’re beholden to some progressive policy bible, but I don’t see any evidence that they’re running on the lax policies you claim they’re running on. Is this a gut/feeling thing for you?
it's based on what htey actually did - from rhetoric on policing backing bail projects, to climate, to the border, to stimulus. actual policies and rhetoric. in other words: their record

Personally, I think it's more of a existential decision between Biden and Trump, at least democratically speaking. I feel like all the policy stuff can shift, change, evolve and be debated within our tried and true political system. I believe electing Trump puts on a very slippery slope that fundamentally threatens our whole political, democratic system.

I'm not over-the-moon that Biden is the alternative to that.

I'm effectively the inverse.

It's a damn shame if that's all you took from the excellent CNN article you linked. And not just a damn shame, it's also wrong on several accounts, missing the nuance and thoughtfulness that make the CNN article excellent.
oh i don't just need that article. we get it here daily from eliott davis and daily reporting. i understand exactly what is going on and how it harms the poor people who actually live in these high crime areas. i've sat through the dockets. seen alternative sentencing. drug courts. rode with police. had lunches with them weekly. been involved with the police association. i also understand how the ferguson riots were funded. what gave rise to them. what was right and wrong about the alleged injustices with brown and ferguson. what blm did with the money

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
Of course that’s defunding. Read it. Less cops. Don’t be disingenuous. if i take money away from police on the streets and give it to social services that's defunding police. don't get fooled by semantics or some antics
I read it. The article - - your source - - considers reimagining as separate and distinct from defunding:

"So far, the debate has been unsurprisingly oversimplified — many have called to defund and dismantle police departments, while others are calling for reform. But what about the third approach: reimagination?"

Don't be disingenuous.

I read it. The article - - your source - - considers reimagining as separate and distinct from defunding:

"So far, the debate has been unsurprisingly oversimplified — many have called to defund and dismantle police departments, while others are calling for reform. But what about the third approach: reimagination?"

Don't be disingenuous.
i have 100 million for police. i take 20 million away and give it to social workers. i reimagined policing. you also defunded police.

Don't be disingenous. Or is this just like your bloodbath misunderstanding? just goes a level too far for you to comprehend?"

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
Terrific article. All kinds of nuance in the conversation. Very few platitudes and it treats a complex subject thoughtfully.

So, of course, it's the kind of threadstarter that doesn't get much conversation. 🤨

So if there is a ton of nuance to this topic, which I would agree with, what is a realistic approach to begin addressing all of these, particularly given some natural conflict or competition between?

it's based on what htey actually did - from rhetoric on policing backing bail projects, to climate, to the border, to stimulus. actual policies and rhetoric. in other words: their record
What about the stuff they released in that White House release I linked above? Isn’t that a part of their record?

Don't be disingenuous.
You stopped reading to soon.

“That’s how I think about this,” Harris continued. “You know, in many cities in America, over one-third of their city budget goes to the police. So, we have to have this conversation, what are we doing? What about the money going to social services? What about the money going to helping people with job training? What about the mental health issues that communities are being plagued with for which we’re putting no resources?”

That’s literally taking money from police departments and reinvesting it in social services. Thats defunding regardless of what name you give it.

You’re the one being disingenuous here.

I’m not risk averse at all jet. I wouldn’t mind having the gov say we are going to suspend X programs, and not fund X, Y, z, and we’re going to roll out one time fat reparations checks to those who qualify.

And see what happens. Maybe inflation will go crazy. Maybe theyll piss it away. Maybe they’ll start businesses and buy properties. I don’t know. But I don’t want progressives involved. I want smart people to oversee it and be sensible about its implementation.

And then never hear about it again. I’m always up for trying shit but if it fails admit it.
That's the problem. It will never go away. It would shut some people up for a while, but there will always be people who want more or who felt left out or it wasn't enough, etc, etc, etc.

I don't have an answer, but I think the government should get out of social engineering programs and set up soup kitchens, re-establish orphanages, and build what used to be called insane asylums. We know more about mental health now to actually help people instead of using them to just warehouse the mentally unstable.

Instead of subsidizing poverty, subsidize work, so that the government can partner with employers to provide jobs.

Basically, stop government from continuing the insanity of continuing programs that are destroying society today and has been since the 60s.

oh i don't just need that article. we get it here daily from eliott davis and daily reporting. i understand exactly what is going on and how it harms the poor people who actually live in these high crime areas. i've sat through the dockets. seen alternative sentencing. drug courts. rode with police. had lunches with them weekly. been involved with the police association. i also understand how the ferguson riots were funded. what gave rise to them. what was right and wrong about the alleged injustices with brown and ferguson. what blm did with the money
So, you didn't absorb much from the article. Got it.

Like many other things the pendulum swung way too far. Looks like we are all course correcting. Violent crime rates are plummeting across the country. And we got a lot of reforms and updated training. The "defund the police" crowd the "shoulda just complied" crowd are usually equally stupid and naive. We should all respect law enforcement and understand their importance all while holding them accountable to do their job correctly and not abuse the position. Not rocket science.

Because most inner city killings are each other, they're thinning the herd of potential criminals.

Don't worry - a new generation will take up the slack.

So, you didn't absorb much from the article. Got it.
i understand the article except my understanding of policing and crime goes much deeper than that article. grad school. law school. work. being involved with social services programs and nonprofits. the police department. urban league. sitting through criminal dockets on a thousand occasions. friends who are judges and prosecutors. my ex wife who works in the prosecutor's office. so no. you don't get it. per usual. and i know what works. we have hte best practices. we already know them. instead progressives went with stereotypes and vapid feelings. that too is per usual. with disastrous results

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and 76-1
So if there is a ton of nuance to this topic, which I would agree with, what is a realistic approach to begin addressing all of these, particularly given some natural conflict or competition between?
Well, I liked that CNN article that mcm originally linked, so I think there are several good approaches there. And I don't think millertime was off in their thinking above.

If you're going to reallocate money from police departments, you have to reallocate responsibilities. The police I speak with talk about being incredibly stressed and overwhelmed with responsibilities that they aren't trained to handle effectively and shouldn't be asked to take. They are being asked to be experts in far too many things and that leads to difficulties in handling some of those things. Police don't need to be the hammer for every nail of community engagement.

I also think it is imperative that police be seen as part of a community instead of overlords of it. Living in the community and engaging with it in multiple ways is important.

I also think that politicians on both sides need to cool the rhetoric and stop dehumanizing large groups of people. It's much easier for someone to become Derek Chauvin or Micah Johnson when they look at the people they kill as inhuman.

You stopped reading to soon.

That’s literally taking money from police departments and reinvesting it in social services. Thats defunding regardless of what name you give it.

You’re the one being disingenuous here.
Keep reading, ace.

"Over the past decade, communities have called upon their police forces to engage in a myriad of activities that go far beyond the role of community policing. They have been frontline workers on every issue from public and mental health issues, and they’ve addressed matters of homelessness and domestic violence. Not only are these roles often inappropriate, but they are often unwanted by the police themselves."

Cops don't want to be social workers and they shouldn't have to be. Innovation grants (new funding) and responsible redirection of resources allows for mental health professionals to be more actively engaged in matters like homelessness and frees up police departments to focus on actual policing.

Biden has never promoted defunding police.

I didn't follow Harris' career very closely before she ran for president, but I know defunding the police wasn't part of her online platform. I know she talked about "reimagining" certain aspects of law enforcement with respect to the homeless, mental health issues, etc. When, if ever, did she promote defunding?
Harris is hated by the ultra left for being an extremely tough on crime prosecutor in California. Look it up. It's literally one of her biggest knocks.

They are being asked to be experts in far too many things and that leads to difficulties in handling some of those things. Police don't need to be the hammer for every nail of community engagement.
this is the least of hte problems with police here. actual crimes are taking place that there are shortage of cops to contend with daily. carjackings etc. what you are referencing is the idea behind defund that has been debunked. They aren’t stretched thin responding to social service calls.
I also think it is imperative that police be seen as part of a community instead of overlords of it. Living in the community and engaging with it in multiple ways is important.
this is true and an integral part of hte findings of ferguson where the police didn't mirror the community. being seen as part of the community and having officers look like the people they police is vital. in stl they've begun handing out business cards to residents. it's a good tactic in building relationships. a problem that is seen in cities across america from detroit to memphis to stl is that large swaths of neighborhoods have been abandoned and turned into open air drug markets and war zones. because of hte geography they make community policing extremely difficult. there's no beat to walk. so you have to have cops in cars and if you require partners that gets expensive and difficult. throw in the attacks on cops and the shortage of same becomes a massive problem. departments simply can't get enough cops

until cities buy in and communities buy in as giuliani was able to do the problems will persist. re-allocating monies from cops to social workers is silliness. these little gangbangers and carjackers don't give a shit

Last edited:
Keep reading, ace.

"Over the past decade, communities have called upon their police forces to engage in a myriad of activities that go far beyond the role of community policing. They have been frontline workers on every issue from public and mental health issues, and they’ve addressed matters of homelessness and domestic violence. Not only are these roles often inappropriate, but they are often unwanted by the police themselves."

Cops don't want to be social workers and they shouldn't have to be. Innovation grants (new funding) and responsible redirection of resources allows for mental health professionals to be more actively engaged in matters like homelessness and frees up police departments to focus on actual policing.
Non responsive.

Regardless of what she wanted to do with the money or if she felt cops were being asked to do things they shouldn’t, shes still advocating reallocating funding from their budget.

Thats defunding, Ace.

Harris is hated by the ultra left for being an extremely tough on crime prosecutor in California. Look it up. It's literally one of her biggest knocks.
And she more recently fell in with the far left and blm. Calling cops murderers. Supporting defunding. Supporting bail projects. Her Calif days are ancient history. She disavowed that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT