ADVERTISEMENT

Miller Kopp

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Looking at his career 40 minutes statistics: 3 years at Northwestern and 2 years at Indiana.

He has never taken fewer shots than this year and he has the highest field goal percentage of his career at over 49%. I know he's getting encouragement from his teammates but for whatever reason he seems to be reluctant to shoot regardless of whether or not his shot is going in.

I sure hope he gets a chance to play Northwestern again in the tournament. He is only putting up about six shots a game. And he passes up on a lot of wide open threes. I'd like to see him close our his career shooting about 9 shots a game.

Reactions: gator mcCluskey
Looking at his career 40 minutes statistics: 3 years at Northwestern and 2 years at Indiana.

He has never taken fewer shots than this year and he has the highest field goal percentage of his career at over 49%. I know he's getting encouragement from his teammates but for whatever reason he seems to be reluctant to shoot regardless of whether or not his shot is going in.

I sure hope he gets a chance to play Northwestern again in the tournament. He is only putting up about six shots a game. And he passes up on a lot of wide open threes. I'd like to see him close our his career shooting about 9 shots a game.
I don’t have the answer, but the offense moves through the post and has been successful while his shot is spotty.

Wish we'd run some stuff for him and a few others after the post feed.

Every team has a leading scorer, and that’s what he was on shitty Northwestern teams. He’s a role player on a good team and doing a great job playing his role at Indiana. He takes high percentage looks and hits a lot of them, just like a good role playing teammate should.

I’ve seen him pass up some shots I thought he should have taken, but it seems to me like he gets the ball a moment late on too many occasions.
And countless times he is all alone waving his hands trying to get JHS’s attention.

Kopp does not pass up wide open looks contrary to what people say in here. Kopp does not take step back 3's or somewhat contested 3's. He shoots when he is open. H takes his shots when they come his way and doesn't force anything. On the other hand Kopp does not create his own shots off the drive or even running through screens. With that said, I'm happy with his production this year.

Reactions: ulrey
I’ve seen him pass up some shots I thought he should have taken, but it seems to me like he gets the ball a moment late on too many occasions.

Kopp does not pass up wide open looks contrary to what people say in here. Kopp does not take step back 3's or somewhat contested 3's. He shoots when he is open.

To my unsophisticated eye, he's slow to get his shot off, which results in him many times pulling it down and driving instead of just putting it up.

To my unsophisticated eye, he's slow to get his shot off, which results in him many times pulling it down and driving instead of just putting it up.
Ya he has a low release point and he sees the block coming from the corner of his eye.

And countless times he is all alone waving his hands trying to get JHS’s attention.
I still think other teams identify him as "the shooter" on our squad and stay close to him. All the more reason that every one else on the floor with him needs to constantly keep an eye on him and get him the ball when he's open, including in transition. A couple times I've wanted TJD to get him the ball, but he's taken it and made the basket or even made it and gotten fouled. so that's hard to argue with.

I still think other teams identify him as "the shooter" on our squad and stay close to him. All the more reason that every one else on the floor with him needs to constantly keep an eye on him and get him the ball when he's open, including in transition. A couple times I've wanted TJD to get him the ball, but he's taken it and made the basket or even made it and gotten fouled. so that's hard to argue with.
He brings equal value as a threat even when he doesn't shoot because he makes it more difficult to double-team.

I think he has been making better decisions on when to shoot and when to drive. I can't remember any wide open shots that he isn't cutting lose. If they are flying at him off their double teams, then he drives and seems to make good decisions.

On another note, his defense is so much better than it was last year. He has made absolutely huge strides. He's been a much better player on both sides this year.

Kopp does not pass up wide open looks contrary to what people say in here. Kopp does not take step back 3's or somewhat contested 3's. He shoots when he is open. H takes his shots when they come his way and doesn't force anything. On the other hand Kopp does not create his own shots off the drive or even running through screens. With that said, I'm happy with his production this year.
I think he is moving with the ball more in recent games. He sometimes drives the ball for mid-range shots. And, a couple of times I have seen him do a shot fake and then do step in the opposite direction to get separation from his defender and to get off a more open shot. If you count only players who are actually playing and are not injured, he is the 3d leading scorer averaging 8 points a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
Last night was proof of how frustrating our offense is, with respect to how Kopp is used. First half, nails 2 3s and what do we do, well we certainly don't look for him throughout the rest of the game. That would make too much sense, even though he was open a number of times and at one point he was angry about it and punching the air because players were not looking for him (particulary JHS and TJD). That has nothing to do with playing on the road vs home. They rarely look for him.

It's most disappointing that MW says he doesn't try to get him shots. I can't even fathom that. Where would IU have been if Knight didn't try to get Alford open for 3s, or the Pacers if they didn't try to get Reggie open for 3s, or the Warriors if they stuck Curry in a corner all game and never looked for him. I mean Miller is only leading the B10 in 3 pt percentage near 50%. It's absolutely ridiculous. I can't think of another good coach who wouldn't make sure that their best 3 pt shooter wouldn't get fed the ball if they were hitting shots.

Last night was proof of how frustrating our offense is, with respect to how Kopp is used. First half, nails 2 3s and what do we do, well we certainly don't look for him throughout the rest of the game. That would make too much sense, even though he was open a number of times and at one point he was angry about it and punching the air because players were not looking for him (particulary JHS and TJD). That has nothing to do with playing on the road vs home. They rarely look for him.

It's most disappointing that MW says he doesn't try to get him shots. I can't even fathom that. Where would IU have been if Knight didn't try to get Alford open for 3s, or the Pacers if they didn't try to get Reggie open for 3s, or the Warriors if they stuck Curry in a corner all game and never looked for him. I mean Miller is only leading the B10 in 3 pt percentage near 50%. It's absolutely ridiculous. I can't think of another good coach who wouldn't make sure that their best 3 pt shooter wouldn't get fed the ball if they were hitting shots.
Galloway actually has a higher % on the team right now, but with way fewer attempts. Haven't seen as many games, but but that IL kid looks like the best shooter to me: Mayer?

I think Trayce looks for him each possession. The defense just doesn't leave him open often. Maybe if he were feeding the low post he would be more available for the quick pass off the double teams. However, kicking it out and then swinging it doesn't work very often because the defense has too much time to catch up. I haven't seen Kopp hit many shots while running around screens. That usually takes someone with a quick shot. His shot seems to need more space to get it off. Just my thoughts...

Every team has a leading scorer, and that’s what he was on shitty Northwestern teams. He’s a role player on a good team and doing a great job playing his role at Indiana. He takes high percentage looks and hits a lot of them, just like a good role playing teammate should.
He has started every game at Indiana. Now that defenses are collapsing more on TJD other players need to step up shooting the ball.
Last night he played 30 minutes took three shots all from three point range and hit two of them. He needs to be more productive. And if he has to move outside of his comfort zone so be it. I think the postseason is going to be pretty short if he is not productive. The Hoosiers need a third option. And a fourth.

Gotta run some stuff for him, for him to be more productive. Running everything through TJD is great and needed. But setting Kopp up for shots that aren’t just Pass Outs to the corner from double teams, ie, run stuff for him as first or second option would be a nice change. He’s such an under utilized weapon when he gets his feet set.

Reactions: jmdkhoosier
First half, nails 2 3s and what do we do, well we certainly don't look for him throughout the rest of the game.
in the first half they doubled and IU got them into rotation, which opens up shooters. Izzo went single coverage in the 2nd, which allowed them to stay at home on shooters.

Some of you act like the defense are cardboard cutouts with no will of their own. They are actually allowed to defend. Either that or you really need to pay more attention.

in the first half they doubled and IU got them into rotation, which opens up shooters. Izzo went single coverage in the 2nd, which allowed them to stay at home on shooters.

Some of you act like the defense are cardboard cutouts with no will of their own. They are actually allowed to defend. Either that or you really need to pay more attention.
It’s the watch the orange bouncy thing syndrome.

Reactions: T.M.P.

Single coverage? You mean man-to-man. We should be able to deal with that and run plays to get our best shooter more than 3 shots, which happens often. We shouldn’t need double teams by the defense to get open jumpers. Is that what our entire offense’s success is about, doubling tjd? Because apparently playing man to man causes us all kinds of issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT